Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Motorcycle riders...

So my old man has switched to a Tri-Glide HD Trike. Wants me to take over on his Fatboy.

I havn't ridden a bike in 20 years. I used to have Kawasaki KL250 Enduro (mostly dirt) in high school that I rode the sh!t outta. Probably to much bike for me when they got it for me for 8th grade graduation.

Anyway, here in MN if I go get my written test done and get a learners permit, I can take a class from Harley Davidson (new riders class). The class is 4 days, and if/hopefully when you pass it, you get your motorcycle endorsement free.

The class is normally $300, but it's free for military, cops, and 1st responders.

So a co-worker and I have signed up for a class next month.

Now I have no delusions I'm going to get heavy into biking, but thought it would be fun to cruise around.

Looking on Craigslist you see a ton of 10 year old bikes with a few thousand miles on them. I'me betting guys bought them for the look or on a whim and there they sat.

Thoughts and how much do you get out and ride?

Around here- Nashville- there are other riding classes, as well as the HD classes.

Classroom and actual riding-

When you complete the course, you are fast tracked for your license, AND you should get a discount on your insurance.

Your Fatboy will be a big step up from your 250.

It's a lot of weight- but balances well on the road.

It's a cruiser, not a sport bike.

Enjoy it. Just watch out for the fockers driving while glued to their cell phone.

I have a Yamaha Stryker....nice 1300 cruiser.....ride about 200 miles on the weekends....no night driving....Orange Co. CA.

Have fun....you'll be glad you're back into it !!!

Pretty sure your dad can go to jail for trying to make you ride his fat boy,.

I'm of age! :mad:

You're right. :doh:

And he's got Glide! You're good to go!

So my old man has switched to a Tri-Glide HD Trike. Wants me to take over on his Fatboy.

I havn't ridden a bike in 20 years. I used to have Kawasaki KL250 Enduro (mostly dirt) in high school that I rode the sh!t outta. Probably to much bike for me when they got it for me for 8th grade graduation.

Anyway, here in MN if I go get my written test done and get a learners permit, I can take a class from Harley Davidson (new riders class). The class is 4 days, and if/hopefully when you pass it, you get your motorcycle endorsement free.

The class is normally $300, but it's free for military, cops, and 1st responders.

So a co-worker and I have signed up for a class next month.

Now I have no delusions I'm going to get heavy into biking, but thought it would be fun to cruise around.

Looking on Craigslist you see a ton of 10 year old bikes with a few thousand miles on them. I'me betting guys bought them for the look or on a whim and there they sat.

Thoughts and how much do you get out and ride?

Since I'm somewhat of an expert in this area AND live in the area, you have to tell me first: Is the wife unit gonna ride with you on it EVER?

If so, then that'll dictate your bike.

I ride a decent amount. Mostly to work, and occasionally bar hopping with friends. Those nights are usually 50-60 miles and maybe a couple times a month during 'season'. I usually do at least one long-distance trip per year. Last year was Michigan UP, down to Ludington, across Lake Michigan on the Ferry and back over to MN. About 1200 miles in a week. You'll never do that 2 up with a street machine/bar hopper. Well, you might, but she'll only do it once.

Personally I stay away from Harley's. But they're not the junk they were back in the AMF days.

Parts and Labor are expensive though. Fatboy is a nice bike.

Regardless, if you get a bike, we HAVE to go for a scoot. Tons of great riding in western WI over by Hudson/Prescott. I stay out of the cities/off freeways as much as possible. Focking people are all in condition white.

ETA: If you have a choice, I wouldn't spend the bank on a Fatboy. But that's just me. You can get a LOT of motorcycle for that kind of money. It just won't say "Harley Davidson" on it.

What's your budget or what's the balance on your old man's bike?

Was it a family member? :(

Just about everybody knows somebody that's been in a crash/fatality on a bike.

Common denominator: Booze.

Two friends of mine crashed back in 08. Was pretty terrible. Drinking and riding beyond their limits (2 up) on a heavyass Harley). Ran head first around a corner into a truck. I was the first guy on the scene. I'll tell you about it over LUNCH. :mad:

Correction: 2009

http://www.swcbulletin.com/content/lucky-be-alive

Pretty sure your dad can go to jail for trying to make you ride his fat boy,.

:first:

Was it a family member? :(

No, no one I know, thank god. Just general pessimism towards riding in general.

Hate dirtbags on fat boys. Loud scum.

We agree :shocking:

That's because you a spineless twat and are scared of loud things and Alpha Males.

That's because you a spineless twat and are scared of loud things and Alpha Males.

Good one. You threw the gun without us even having an exchange :lol:

I guess the sign of an Alpha Male is the one with the loudest rattle. Babies

I live in the suburbs of Detroit. With the amount of traffic and especially with the way people drive today, there is no chance I ever drive a bike around here.

I have always wanted to rent a bike in LA and drive it to Vegas. I think that would be a cool ride.

I guess the sign of an Alpha Male is the one with the loudest rattle. Babies

Alpha Babies.

Motorcycle riders....wear a f*cking helmet. Unless you like dying...or living the rest of your life with a helmet because half of your skull is missing (like my last patient).

Motorcycle riders....wear a f*cking helmet. Unless you like dying...or living the rest of your life with a helmet because half of your skull is missing (like my last patient).

I stand in full support of them not having to wear a helmet. Especially the ones who ride fat boys. Let them have their freedom I say

Only difference with a helmet is an open or closed casket.

This is actually a horrible horrible myth. I volunteered for a couple years At Craig Rehabilitation Hospital. It is a world-renowned facility for brain and spinal cord injuries. It is where Willie Shoemaker and Christopher Reeve Among many others Were treated.

The overwhelming majority Of their patients Were riding motorcycles At the speed limitWithout helmets.

I had a friend of mine who was a partner in a law firm in Houston. Young, Pulled tail like a son of a gun And rich as hell.She was about 3 blocks from home Riding his motorcycle Doing the speed limit And Houston Paves its roads worse than anybody I've ever seen. They do one lane At a time and so there's about a 1 to 2 inch Differential between one lane and the other That even cars have difficulty dealing with much less motorcycles. He tried to change lanes , Hit that Vertical differential And Got thrown, his head hit the curb And he died.

Everybody thinks of a jackass on a crotch rocket doing 120 miles an hour As the ones who died From not wearing a helmet. No, I agree they would die regardless. But the overwhelming majority of brain and spinal cord injuries And deaths Biker from riders Going the speed limit or getting hit From behind at a stoplight From a car And just the act of being thrown from the bike And their head hitting the pavement Or something else Causes the injury or death.

If I were Governor ld make a 6 month Volunteer program @craig mandatory for anybody who wanted A motorcycle license.

Before you try to disagree, Go buy a cantaloupe Drop it out of a second-story window onto the concrete And see what happens. Then Tuck another cantaloupe Into a helmet and do the same thing. That will tell you all you need to know.

I think I'll take my experience from actually working the emergency department and neuro/trauma units at a level 1 trauma hospital and laugh this comment off. The difference between helmet and no helmet is the difference between having multiple fractures and dealing with rehab or dying...or much worse, living with your brains scrambled while your family has to take care of you because tying your shoes or dressing yourself are out of your limited range of capabilities.

Most motorcycle accidents are not at 50 or 60 mph. If you want to assume that the only way you'll get hurt riding a motorcycle is when riding at highway speeds, good luck when you get f*cked up for life from a 30 mph collision, or some moron backing their car out in front of you in a residential zone.

I would be much more in favor of letting people do stupid sh*t if not for the massive toll their idiocy puts on the health care system and the loved ones who have to take care of them afterwards.