Sign in to follow this  
brotherbock

WEEK 1 BYE! Be prepared (Bucs and Dolphins Hurricane Danger)

Yes. Sad that I live in the real world and you live in LaLaLand.

The game was not postponed to "save lives," but because the logistics would not make playing it this weekend in Miami possible. The Dolphins were not about to give up the revenue of a home game. Hence week 11.

But you enjoy those butterflies and rainbows, mmmk?

All of that is based on an opinion where you don't have all of the information. You're assuming you're right based on bias. The Dolphins (Ross), said that they did NOT want to play in Miami on week 11. It clearly wasn't about them not keeping the game in Miami. They were willing to move.

Remember when there were no bye weeks? Some of you probably were not on this Earth, but bye weeks started in 1990. From 1961-89 the NFL played 14 or 16 games in 14 or 16 weeks. Since then teams have enjoyed a week off during the season. It sucks for the players but if they complain to some of their coaches I am sure there will be no sympathy to those who played back in the day without weeks off and had inferior rehab techniques.

• Like 1

Player safety way behind stadium revenues.

So you are suggesting they move the game elsewhere and have it this weekend?

For anyone who thinks this you are thoughtless jerks. Think of how many people, not just the rich players but also reporters, coaches, trainers, and others who would have to leave their families to deal with whatever they might be dealing with. Their communities, homes, families, places of business, neighbors, friends etc. could get slammed by a cat 4 or 5. There will need to be a lot of preparation and planning that needs to happen, as well as evacuation.

And Im not even talking about the possible aftermath.

What great family members and friends and neighbors you must be if that is what you want.

What great family members and friends and neighbors you must be if that is what you want.

And what a solid addition you are to this forearm!

CODE: sarcasm

Player safety and stadium revenue behind LIVES.

So the Hurricane is also hitting Pittsburgh and or Philly?

And what a solid addition you are to this forearm!

CODE: sarcasm

Ok. So I have 1 vote from someone who would rather leave his family, home, friends, neighbors, community behind and go to work remote while they all stay behind to manage safety, give help to those who need it and evacuation etc.

I vote No, I wouldnt leave them alone in the planning of dealing with this.

This dude 'Law' votes yes, he would leave them alone or push it off on someone else.

so

leave them behind (LTB) - 1

help them out (HTO) - 1

And what is being a solid addition to a forearm? Confused.

So you are suggesting they move the game elsewhere and have it this weekend?

For anyone who thinks this you are thoughtless jerks. Think of how many people, not just the rich players but also reporters, coaches, trainers, and others who would have to leave their families to deal with whatever they might be dealing with. Their communities, homes, families, places of business, neighbors, friends etc. could get slammed by a cat 4 or 5. There will need to be a lot of preparation and planning that needs to happen, as well as evacuation.

Why exactly do their families have to be left behind? The only thing that has to be left behind is their home and there's nothing they can do with that no matter where they are. A huge benefits of being part of professional sports is that you either make a lot of money or you have great connections. These are people who usually have better way of avoiding disasters like this because of the money, assets or connections they have. If the game was decided to be played at a neutral site enough days before the store hit I see no reason why any of them couldn't get their families to safety.

For those bringing up the argument that the league didn't used to have bye weeks...is that supposed to be the argument that these two teams should therefore not complain because they don't get a bye week?

Because, you know, every other team still gets a bye week.

The 'suck it up, we didn't have em in our day sonny' argument really would only have merit if the entire league was doing away with the bye week. As it is, these two teams now have a significant disadvantage. The thing about 'the good old days' of no bye weeks was that every team had no bye week.

But that may not matter to some.

Why exactly do their families have to be left behind? The only thing that has to be left behind is their home and there's nothing they can do with that no matter where they are. A huge benefits of being part of professional sports is that you either make a lot of money or you have great connections. These are people who usually have better way of avoiding disasters like this because of the money, assets or connections they have. If the game was decided to be played at a neutral site enough days before the store hit I see no reason why any of them couldn't get their families to safety.

No. Its not just the rich players that need to go. And simply put, community and people who they know who may need help, especially from a person in a position that can help, this is more important than a game and your week 1 lineup.

And if you think its just that simple to run away from a cat 5, its not for most as they need to prepare for the devastation they may return to.

Pretend you owned a home that you worked hard for for years, and now this comes. You would just say later? I have to go stretch out the players before the game?

And your pregnant wife and 80 year old grandmother needs to evacuate as well as plan for possible weeks of being without power?

Not everybody near the field is that rich. And what about your friends down the block that have other situations going on.

Some of these players, coaches, reporters etc. may have friends or family in the local hospitals. Then what?

Nvmd.

The athletes themselves would be okay. I do think the concern might be for example the trainers who lug the water bottles out onto the field during a timeout. Those folks travel with the team, and they aren't paid brazillians of dollars. They might very well need to be at their home boarding up windows and such as much as they can, and traveling with the team would hinder that.

That said, that seems like a relatively simple sort of thing for the billion dollar industry that is the NFL to overcome. If your coaches and players and training staff need to travel with the team, the league could pay for their houses to be looked after. The alternative is, as might happen, someone getting hurt late in the season because fatigue led to injury.

I'm with the idea that the game could have been moved if the NFL had put resources into it. But there are some people who maybe wouldn't have been able to do it. Those people are, however, generally replaceable for one game with little effect on the team.

Nvmd.

PLEASE! Please let this be true!

Otherwise, you need to be on another forearm, one that does not deal with and discuss fantasy football. Perhaps one that deals with all of the social ills of the world and the unjustness of it all would suit you and your soapbox a little more. The rest of us discuss fantasy football as this is, after all, a fantasy football forearm!

PLEASE! Please let this be true!

Otherwise, you need to be on another forearm, one that does not deal with and discuss fantasy football. Perhaps one that deals with all of the social ills of the world and the unjustness of it all would suit you and your soapbox a little more. The rest of us discuss fantasy football as this is, after all, a fantasy football forearm!

Law, we don't always agree. But when we do, we do. :)

• Like 1

Law, we don't always agree. But when we do, we do. :)

How is this not topical? It's about all of you thinking a game should be played in the NFL and I disagree whole heartedly. As does the NFL. You guys just want to win the title of the best cut down.

Ahhh, high school. I remember it well. Enjoy your senior prom! You'll never forget it.

Now, can be get this forearm back to fantasy football???

Ahhh, high school. I remember it well. Enjoy your senior prom! You'll never forget it.

Now, can be get this forearm back to fantasy football???

Yeah, you are wrong. The team organizations should stay home and help with their families and communities rather than abandon them in what could be the worst disaster in their lives.

Oh well. You care about your starting lineup. Oh, and by the way, this thread is about the postponement of the game, not whatever you want it to be.

The athletes themselves would be okay. I do think the concern might be for example the trainers who lug the water bottles out onto the field during a timeout. Those folks travel with the team, and they aren't paid brazillians of dollars. They might very well need to be at their home boarding up windows and such as much as they can, and traveling with the team would hinder that.

That said, that seems like a relatively simple sort of thing for the billion dollar industry that is the NFL to overcome. If your coaches and players and training staff need to travel with the team, the league could pay for their houses to be looked after. The alternative is, as might happen, someone getting hurt late in the season because fatigue led to injury.

I'm with the idea that the game could have been moved if the NFL had put resources into it. But there are some people who maybe wouldn't have been able to do it. Those people are, however, generally replaceable for one game with little effect on the team.

I never said that everyone was rich. There are plenty of players and staff that make a lot of money. The rest may not make much money but they do have advantages over the average person and that includes knowing a lot of people with money and having a lot of connections with people that can help them. These are options the average person doesn't have. Remember, it's not always what you know but who you know.

Now, after saying that I still don't think any of that really helps without an ample amount of time to make plans and leave. This is where the NFL could have really stepped up and made the decision to play at a neutral site a couple days ago. This would have given everyone a decent amount of time.

I'm fine with them changing the bye weeks as it doesn't affect me much at all. I have to make a few changes to my fantasy football teams, big whoop. I'm just not sure it was the best decision for the NFL in general. Everything is going to work out fine for the NFL though and I agree that the people living in Florida are the priority.

Here's what I've heard.

• The Dolphins already lost a home game due to London - they won't want to lose another one - so a neutral site game is extremely unlikely (but still possible).
  • Neither team wants to move the game to week 11 and by all accounts, this is currently off the table.
  • Due to the Hurricane's projected time table, Saturday is not an option.
It looks like the best scenario is Thursday, with Friday as the next best. WARNING NOTE!!!! TOMORROW IS ON THE TABLE... but the least likely option. Apparently if the game is Wednesday, it will only be televised in Tampa and Miami, but available on NFL Network in replay on Thursday night.

Good call

I never said that everyone was rich. There are plenty of players and staff that make a lot of money. The rest may not make much money but they do have advantages over the average person and that includes knowing a lot of people with money and having a lot of connections with people that can help them. These are options the average person doesn't have. Remember, it's not always what you know but who you know.

Now, after saying that I still don't think any of that really helps without an ample amount of time to make plans and leave. This is where the NFL could have really stepped up and made the decision to play at a neutral site a couple days ago. This would have given everyone a decent amount of time.

I'm fine with them changing the bye weeks as it doesn't affect me much at all. I have to make a few changes to my fantasy football teams, big whoop. I'm just not sure it was the best decision for the NFL in general. Everything is going to work out fine for the NFL though and I agree that the people living in Florida are the priority.

I didn't say that you said everyone was rich. I was just pointing out one of the difficulties in executing something I also thought was the better idea.

I still think moving the game to 11 was the wrong idea, but not because of how it affects me. I think it's a bad idea because of how it affects the players. They chose to take away the bye week from two teams out of 32. Puts them at a considerable competitive disadvantage, when it was avoidable, and the other alternatives would not have brought the same disadvantage or injury risk.

How is this not topical? It's about all of you thinking a game should be played in the NFL and I disagree whole heartedly. As does the NFL. You guys just want to win the title of the best cut down.

You really don't understand that people object not to your content but to your DBag attitude, do you?

Maybe you aren't a DBag, I don't know you. But you certainly treat everyone like douchebags treat people. I say this without calling you a DBag...because again, being honest here, maybe you aren't. You're probably a decent guy irl. But you act like a d!ck. And then when people treat you like a d!ck in return, you say "WHAT GIVES?!"

That's why people make comments about you being in high school. Because your posts don't demonstrate any kind of emotional stability at all. You are in fact very likely to respond to this post with some sort of flame attempt, when I am sincerely trying to explain how you're coming across here. It's a shame, because when you're not attempting to insult people for disagreeing with you (comments like "YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS!!!!"), you sometimes say reasonable things.

But, again, you also spend a lot of time acting like a d!ck. If you are not a d!ck, then stop it, and people will treat you better.

That's all. Feel free to prove them all right and try to flame me here for being honest with you.

You really don't understand that people object not to your content but to your DBag attitude, do you?

Maybe you aren't a DBag, I don't know you. But you certainly treat everyone like douchebags treat people. I say this without calling you a DBag...because again, being honest here, maybe you aren't. You're probably a decent guy irl. But you act like a d!ck. And then when people treat you like a d!ck in return, you say "WHAT GIVES?!"

That's why people make comments about you being in high school. Because your posts don't demonstrate any kind of emotional stability at all. You are in fact very likely to respond to this post with some sort of flame attempt, when I am sincerely trying to explain how you're coming across here. It's a shame, because when you're not attempting to insult people for disagreeing with you (comments like "YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS!!!!"), you sometimes say reasonable things.

But, again, you also spend a lot of time acting like a d!ck. If you are not a d!ck, then stop it, and people will treat you better.

That's all. Feel free to prove them all right and try to flame me here for being honest with you.

And calling someone names is what you are preaching against. So not smart given what you just wrote. You just don't get it at all. That's the sign on childish. Enclosed in your own world and thinking you know it all. And everyone you stick up for is a name caller including you.

Just highlight things I said in context. And I will back them up or just debate them. Not this generic crap you bring up. You are the name caller.

That's all. And the people that attack me are you and couple others. So what? It's your hang up not mine.

Feel free to prove them all right and try to flame me here for being honest with you.

Well, you tried.

On the other hand...this is my tact:

:overhead:

Finally a response from someone who values what this possible disaster means to families and businesses in that area, rich or not.

These are major fast decisions that need to be made on the side of caution. This is a possible life changing event for a large group of people. And everyone thinks that the planning to get this secure approach together is only a quick decision. Not me The NFL did the right thing in just saying, go take care of yourselves this week and we will work through this later.

Think also about after the possible hurricane. It's impacting, big time on their lives. What if some of these players have friends or family in local hospitals at the time. And I hear "Don't worry about it, just go to philly a couple days ahead of time and play a game and let your wife and 5 year old kid tend to themselves and tend to boarding up the windows on the house and plan the exit strategy while the whole neighborhood is in panic including close friends with other possible issues. Oh, 2 cars in the garage? What do they do with those? "Ahh, we are 100,000 airs, we can lose our cars. No big deal."

You all do realize that many, many football players only last a few years at minimum salary right? They are not all rich. And even some rich people care about family and friends in their neighborhood.

Anyway thanks Hawkeye for actually not railing against this decision but actually thinking it through beyond your first week lineup.

Not sure if this was mentioned as I skimmed over most of the arguing, but one thing to consider is that if they had played in a neutral site would you be getting the best effort out of the players due to all the concerns about back home? Could've ended up being sh1tty TNF-like production.

Not sure if this was mentioned as I skimmed over most of the arguing, but one thing to consider is that if they had played in a neutral site would you be getting the best effort out of the players due to all the concerns about back home? Could've ended up being sh1tty TNF-like production.

But most of those on this thread think that the players wouldnt care about their homes and communities. I get vilified for suggesting they do. The attitude is: Lets just err on the side of getting the players to play and other team roles and media members to work remote instead of dealing with potential real life danger involving family and freinds and neighbors and community and property. Oh well.