Sign in to follow this  
brotherbock

WEEK 1 BYE! Be prepared (Bucs and Dolphins Hurricane Danger)

Everyone start making plans for your Bucs and Fins to not play in week one.

Particularly troubling to someone like me who kept Luck and drafted Winston to be my fill-in QB till Luck is ready. :(

Per Roto:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the league wrapped up a conference call Tuesday morning without a decision on how to handle Dolphins vs. Bucs.

With Hurricane Irma now a Category 5 storm and looking likely to hit Florida on Sunday, the league will almost certainly have to move the game. Whether that is to another location or to each team's Week 11 bye remains to be seen. The Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud reports the Bucs expect the game to be moved to the bye week.

I think they will still play week 1. The game will more then likely get moved up or to a different location. They don't want to cancel the game because then both those teams have to play 16 straight.

I think they will still play week 1. The game will more then likely get moved up or to a different location. They don't want to cancel the game because then both those teams have to play 16 straight.

They don't want to. But one team would also sure like to not lose a home game. And both don't want to suddenly shift around their pre-game prep.

Praying for those that live there and for those who are visiting.

As for the game I'm sure the NFL and the two teams will work things out and the game will be played.

Here's what I've heard.

• The Dolphins already lost a home game due to London - they won't want to lose another one - so a neutral site game is extremely unlikely (but still possible).
  • Neither team wants to move the game to week 11 and by all accounts, this is currently off the table.
  • Due to the Hurricane's projected time table, Saturday is not an option.

It looks like the best scenario is Thursday, with Friday as the next best. WARNING NOTE!!!! TOMORROW IS ON THE TABLE... but the least likely option. Apparently if the game is Wednesday, it will only be televised in Tampa and Miami, but available on NFL Network in replay on Thursday night.

I'm betting the Dolphins would heavily favor losing another home game vs. losing a bye week.

I can't imagine this game being played in Miami either. A state of emergency has already been declared for FL, and I'm sure people in southern FL are already considering evacuating. At this point the earliest logistically I could see this game being played is Thursday, and I wouldn't expect them to play a game in Miami 2 days before Irma's impact could be felt all while 6 million people are trying to leave the city.

Best case scenario to me seems like playing the game in Tampa/Orlando/Jacksonville on Thursday. The sooner the better. Anything later/farther and you can't expect players and personnel to be that distanced from their families who might have to evacuate or endure the storm without them.

Frankly, the NFL has completely dropped the ball with this (no pun intended). This decision should have been made yesterday when projections started converging that a FL landfall for Irma was a fair probability. At the very latest, a decision should have been made shortly after Rick Scott declared a state of emergency. The fact that they've waited this long is unacceptable, and the longer this goes without a decision the more likely I think it is that this will get moved to week 11. If that happens, both camps and their fans should be livid.

As far as fantasy football goes, this is gonna be a big blow early on if the game gets moved to week 11. As an Evans and Parker owner, I'd be forced to drop 1 or 2 players due to bench WR injuries. Not something I thought I'd have to consider doing this early in the season.

Whatever happens with real and fantasy football, I hope everyone that might be impacted by this storm can stay safe! This is way more important than any game.

It's a mess. In terms of just my ff team (I know, small scope, but this is an ff site), if they move the game out of this week, I'm looking at having to pick up Kizer, Savage, or Alex Smith (if they decide before Thursday). Literally the best options. Cutler is there, but he's the other qb affected. And I'd have to drop Kamara to do it :(

Everyone start making plans for your Bucs and Fins to not play in week one.

Particularly troubling to someone like me who kept Luck and drafted Winston to be my fill-in QB till Luck is ready. :(

Per Roto:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the league wrapped up a conference call Tuesday morning without a decision on how to handle Dolphins vs. Bucs.

With Hurricane Irma now a Category 5 storm and looking likely to hit Florida on Sunday, the league will almost certainly have to move the game. Whether that is to another location or to each team's Week 11 bye remains to be seen. The Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud reports the Bucs expect the game to be moved to the bye week.

I will also be fubar with the Luck/Winston scenario. Hope it gets moved to another location or they play Friday.

I've got Winston and Evans on my main team so that could throw a wrench into my first week. I'm pretty loaded at WR so I don't have to make any transactions there but with Winston as my only QB I'd have to drop a player and pick up a QB. Jeremy Hill would be low man on the totem pole.

Have to drop someone because I only carry Winston on one team. Sam Bradford looking to be best out there so far.

I mean, this is all I have to "deal" with for this hurricane. I have no complaint! People that actually live in the path, best of luck....

• Like 1

They should just play it Thursday since it's a week 1 game and the teams are ready to go. Wednesday should also be on the table.

Have to drop someone because I only carry Winston on one team. Sam Bradford looking to be best out there so far.

I mean, this is all I have to "deal" with for this hurricane. I have no complaint! People that actually live in the path, best of luck....

Yep. If my biggest issue from this disaster is that I have to drop Jeremy Hill to pick up Bradford then I am one lucky man. I really hope this hurricane does not turn into what Harvey became.

Yep. If my biggest issue from this disaster is that I have to drop Jeremy Hill to pick up Bradford then I am one lucky man. I really hope this hurricane does not turn into what Harvey became.

You guys are definitely right--my 'first world problem' of needing to pick up another QB is a drop in the bucket in terms of a hurricane and lives. I remember 9/11 throwing the NFL schedule around and people actually complaining about it. Sheesh. I'm just bemoaning some minor back luck :)

I don't see why they haven't moved it to Thursday yet. Isn't the NFL all about player safety? Playing 16 weeks in a row can't be the route they take can it? They've known about the threat of this hurricane for 4-5 days now.

• Like 1

I don't see why they haven't moved it to Thursday yet. Isn't the NFL all about player safety? Playing 16 weeks in a row can't be the route they take can it? They've known about the threat of this hurricane for 4-5 days now.

I was under the impression that this was ruled out already.

Here's what I've heard.

• The Dolphins already lost a home game due to London - they won't want to lose another one - so a neutral site game is extremely unlikely (but still possible).
  • Neither team wants to move the game to week 11 and by all accounts, this is currently off the table.
  • Due to the Hurricane's projected time table, Saturday is not an option.

It looks like the best scenario is Thursday, with Friday as the next best. WARNING NOTE!!!! TOMORROW IS ON THE TABLE... but the least likely option. Apparently if the game is Wednesday, it will only be televised in Tampa and Miami, but available on NFL Network in replay on Thursday night.

why cant they do a friday night game?

• Like 1

I was under the impression that this was ruled out already.

I haven't seen it ruled out. I did see someone suggest they are moving to a neutral site which is the reason behind the delayed announcement.

Official: Game not in miami Sunday. They are looking at other alternatives now but Sunday is done.

If they play this game in Miami this week, the storm is supposed to hit the area at some point that night or the early AM hours. While they might be able to get the game in, it's not really a good/safe idea. The more I hear about the weather, the more I doubt this game is happening this weekend in Miami.

I haven't seen it ruled out. I did see someone suggest they are moving to a neutral site which is the reason behind the delayed announcement.

I read that the NFL contacted both teams and they don't want the game to replace their bye weeks.

I read that the NFL contacted both teams and they don't want the game to replace their bye weeks.

Schefter - Bucs-Dolphins game likely to be rescheduled for Week 11 (Nov. 19), when both teams have a bye, per @JeffDarlington. Not final but likely.

Amazing that both teams have the same bye week

Im hoping it's rescheduled and given week 1 bye as it will definitely give me a huge advantage against the biggest trash talker in my big league. Seeing as he has Evans and Winston lol. But I doubt it will

Schefter - Bucs-Dolphins game likely to be rescheduled for Week 11 (Nov. 19), when both teams have a bye, per @JeffDarlington. Not final but likely.

That is the easiest and safest decision and the one that should have been made long ago.

Hope that's true as I face winston, ajayi and Landry this week. What a break. Probably still lose though because...fantasy football.

Ugh Winston owner on two teams. Andy Dalton is my backup on one.

Same here. I also have Evans.

Does that mean Doug Martin gets a free week off his suspension? Huge deal if so.

Does that mean Doug Martin gets a free week off his suspension? Huge deal if so.

No, he is suspended for the Bucs first 3 games. His schedule gets easier though.

Don't think so, he's suspended 3-games, not the first 3-weeks.

Amazing that both teams have the same bye week

pretty lucky. You'd almost think they planned it this way.

That is the easiest and safest decision and the one that should have been made long ago.

It's also a terrible one. Not giving the players a break mid season is a bad idea. I can't imagine any player or coach is on board with this idea.

They did in 2005 when Chiefs/Dolphins game was moved to Friday because of Hurricane Wilma

Don't play the Miami game in England and move it to Florida. Not fair they have to go there and not get a bye.

FYI, per Roto they are possibly contemplating Philly or Pitt as game locations for this weekend.

Or, you know, ignoring what the teams and players would like and moving it to Week 11. :/