Sign in to follow this  
Voltaire

90s Music Draft Preliminary Voting

Whose collection of songs do you like best?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Whose Blue Bracket Collection Do You Like Best?

• Sho Nuff
    • Herbivore
    • 5-Points
    • The Elevator Killer
    • Zero Tolerance
    • Hardcore Troubadour
  2. 2. Whose Red Bracket Collection Do You Like Best?

3. 3. Whose Green Bracket Collection Do You Like Best?

As someone who does not find the 90's all that gretta. Volty should win in a land slide.

As someone who does not find the 90's all that gretta. Volty should win in a land slide.

No way. Explain why ?

I think if you showed Voltys team vs. any other team in the draft to 100 random random strangers and asked which decade was each list from, 99/100 would say his was 80s and the other was 90s.

I love Volty and all, but that team represents 90s music about as much as Breakfast Club and Back to the Future represent 90s movies.

I think if you showed Voltys team vs. any other team in the draft to 100 random random strangers and asked which decade was each list from, 99/100 would say his was 80s and the other was 90s.

I love Volty and all, but that team represents 90s music about as much as Breakfast Club and Back to the Future represent 90s movies.

Except neither Breakfast Club or Back the Future were made in the 90s.

Except neither Breakfast Club or Back the Future were made in the 90s.

Neither were 90% of the bands on your list... :)

Neither were 90% of the bands on your list... :)

My hands were tied since '90s music is a vast wasteland of music that tops out as mediocre with a significantly lot of ear-punishingly awful music thrown in that makes researching the decade so dreadful. You guys thankfully avoided the worst for the most part. Not a lot of good bands came out of there. Forgettable bands with stupid names and meaningless lyrics. Meanwhile, sadly, a lot of 80s bands fell off a cliff in the 90s. I could have taken some 'meh' songs by 80s artists still making music in the 90s but didn't.

I sifted through the blandness and the garbage as best I could and despite the limitations I got great music I love through 12 and the sleeper in 16. My 12th round pick is one of my all time favorite country songs and since I was out of ideas anyway, I was happy to include it. In rounds 13/14/15 I simply ran out of gas. These three songs were ones I merely like, not love and they were filler to get me to one of my all time favorite songs in 16 that disappointingly only TEK bothered listening to.

My hands were tied since '90s music is a vast wasteland of music that tops out as mediocre with a significantly lot of ear-punishingly awful music thrown in that makes researching the decade so dreadful. You guys thankfully avoided the worst for the most part. Not a lot of good bands came out of there. Forgettable bands with stupid names and meaningless lyrics. Meanwhile, sadly, a lot of 80s bands fell off a cliff in the 90s. I could have taken some 'meh' songs by 80s artists still making music in the 90s but didn't.

I sifted through the blandness and the garbage as best I could and despite the limitations I got great music I love through 12 and the sleeper in 16. My 12th round pick is one of my all time favorite country songs and since I was out of ideas anyway, I was happy to include it. In rounds 13/14/15 I simply ran out of gas. These three songs were ones I merely like, not love and they were filler to get me to one of my all time favorite songs in 16 that disappointingly only TEK bothered listening to.

Fair enough. I personally think the 80's were the most musically uninspiring of any decade. The punk and metal bands were very strong, but pop and rock was a bunch of overproduced digitally mixed rubbish. It was basically a bunch of boy bands playing either a guitar or keyboard. We can go around in circles over and over and get nowhere though. The only point I (and I believe shotsup) are trying to make, is a 90's draft should represent the sounds and bands of that decade. I love almost every one of the bands you picked, I just don't think most of them represent the 90's.

to get me to one of my all time favorite songs in 16 that disappointingly only TEK bothered listening to.

I listened to that song in it's entirety and just to show once again that all music is subjective I thought it sounded like a bargain bin artist and was nothing special.Not trying to be rude,if you love it that's cool but it did absolutely nothing for me.

Fair enough. I personally think the 80's were the most musically uninspiring of any decade. The punk and metal bands were very strong, but pop and rock was a bunch of overproduced digitally mixed rubbish. It was basically a bunch of boy bands playing either a guitar or keyboard. We can go around in circles over and over and get nowhere though. The only point I (and I believe shotsup) are trying to make, is a 90's draft should represent the sounds and bands of that decade. I love almost every one of the bands you picked, I just don't think most of them represent the 90's.

I hated the 80s on the heels of such a great decade like the 70s, but over time I came to appreciate it for the fun factor.

Also, I haven't voted here yet. I'm not sure how to pick, as there were multiple drafts going on in parallel. For several of the posters I know few if any songs, and I don't know that I'll have the time to listen to all of the choices to make an informed vote. I've been busy at work; in fact yesterday I was in Colorado Springs, and I spent the 1+ hours between the Denver airport and there listening to "90s on 9" on Sirius. Did nobody pick Tracy Chapman? I missed on that. Also heard some songs picked (Closing Time) and songs on my list (Shiny Happy People). :cheers:

Agreed...

Fock it, I went for Sho, Shots, and Vudu. :cheers:

If I wanted to take music that represents the 90s sound, I'd be taking music I dislike like daino did. I didn't consciously avoid 90s artists, I took some, I just don't recognize many of them as, out of frustration, I started tuning into classic rock radio almost exclusively then and so I missed out on a good deal of them.

Like the Stone Temple Pilots. I missed the train. It's dawned on me and I'm just now connecting the dots that some of the 90s music I did like was made by them. When we started, I wasn't familiar with them other than recognizing the name in passing from back in the day. The STP songs that were taken were really good, enough so that I would research the band now and maybe if I were to do it again, there's a good chance that I'd throw a 13th rounder their way if I found another undrafted song I liked.

When I'm all caught up on the drafted songs, this is a band that I'll want to learn more about.

I thought the Jane's Addiction song with the dumb focking name about stealing in the title was going to be horrible punk garbage but it surprisingly actually turned out pretty good, even if the lyrics were insanely stupid and the video was disturbingly awful.

If I wanted to take music that represents the 90s sound, I'd be taking music I dislike like daino did. I didn't consciously avoid 90s artists, I took some, I just don't recognize many of them as, out of frustration, I started tuning into classic rock radio almost exclusively then and so I missed out on a good deal of them.

Like the Stone Temple Pilots. I missed the train. It's dawned on me and I'm just now connecting the dots that some of the 90s music I did like was made by them. When we started, I wasn't familiar with them other than recognizing the name in passing from back in the day. The STP songs that were taken were really good, enough so that I would research the band now and maybe if I were to do it again, there's a good chance that I'd throw a 13th rounder their way if I found another undrafted song I liked.

When I'm all caught up on the drafted songs, this is a band that I'll want to learn more about.

I thought the Jane's Addiction song with the dumb focking name about stealing in the title was going to be horrible punk garbage but it surprisingly actually turned out pretty good, even if the lyrics were insanely stupid and the video was disturbingly awful.

1.10 Mobb Deep - Losing My Religion REM

2.09 Mobb Deep - Creep Radiohead

3.10 Mobb Deep - Loser Beck

4.09 Mobb Deep - Killing In The Name Rage Against The Machine

Mobb's first 4 picks each could have went in the 1st round and all 4 should have been gone by the end of the 2nd. That's trouble for the rest of the league.

ZT, RHR, Daino

Only a couple songs on RHR's list that I don't love. Hope he wins it all.

• Like 1

1.10 Mobb Deep - Losing My Religion REM

2.09 Mobb Deep - Creep Radiohead

3.10 Mobb Deep - Loser Beck

4.09 Mobb Deep - Killing In The Name Rage Against The Machine

Mobb's first 4 picks each could have went in the 1st round and all 4 should have been gone by the end of the 2nd. That's trouble for the rest of the league.

I was the only one drafted that Muse :dunno:

That was a really good pick. Muse is also one of my favorite bands. Admittedly, that album is the one I'm least familiar with. I started listening to them when Origin of Symmetry came out, but didn't really LOVE them until Absolution. Those were both post 90's, so I didn't get a MUSE tune on my squad. :(

That was a really good pick. Muse is also one of my favorite bands. Admittedly, that album is the one I'm least familiar with. I started listening to them when Origin of Symmetry came out, but didn't really LOVE them until Absolution. Those were both post 90's, so I didn't get a MUSE tune on my squad. :(

I dont get Muse, all their music sounds like its from the soundtrack of Flash Gordon

bump@ 20 votes

We'll give it another day and when it falls down the page again, take the top two in each bracket to the next round.

Well this was about the dumbest thing I'd done. When I posted this, all three votes I made had qualified for the next round. The votes were lined up perfectly. But, foolish me, I wanted to be fair to every one and consistent with what I'd done in the past. I had to be nice.

And so my reward for such magnanimity is the next five people to come along, who must surely be the dregs of western civilization, they all had horrible musical taste and have focked up all the votes. TEK and I are now on the outside looking in and SUX is barely hanging on by his catclaws.

Curse you recent voters! Curse you all!

I listened to it.

Muscle Museum was the first Muse song I liked, but it ultimately it wasn't as great as Cave (actually I guess I go back and forth on that) and it didn't grow into a unicorn like the song Showbiz (off the album of the same name obviously). Mobb, you should listen to the song Showbiz but only do so if you can play it very very loudly. I still claim it MAY be the best thing they've ever done.

NZoner, as a whole, your music doesn't embody the decade. Shine and Fly Away both feel like 3rd rounders and a rookie card such as Muse's Muscle Museum could probably have been had much later considering it wasn't a mainstream hit....But the bigger problem is that bands like Pink Floyd, The Stones, and Queen were not 1 but 2 or even 3 decades past their peaks. I think having 1 of them in there is good for a roster, but 3 is too much.

I listened to it.

ty

That's why I like it the best. :music_guitarred:

I disagree on the 80s. There was clearly a ton of garbage, but there was 10 X more good than bad.

I did find more than I thought I would in the 90s. Most teams have 3-4 songs I really like. It was deeper than I thought it would be, mostly because the rap, pop and country genres came on strong. But, rap began to overtake everything else as the decade came to a close, and here we are in 2017 with a major shortage of musical talent and rock largely vanishing as it just doesnt sell.

A protest vote! I like it. :wub:

Bring on the 60's draft. :bandana:

Wait, not that 60's draft.

Muscle Museum was the first Muse song I liked, but it ultimately it wasn't as great as Cave (actually I guess I go back and forth on that) and it didn't grow into a unicorn like the song Showbiz (off the album of the same name obviously). Mobb, you should listen to the song Showbiz but only do so if you can play it very very loudly. I still claim it MAY be the best thing they've ever done.

NZoner, as a whole, your music doesn't embody the decade. Shine and Fly Away both feel like 3rd rounders and a rookie card such as Muse's Muscle Museum could probably have been had much later considering it wasn't a mainstream hit....But the bigger problem is that bands like Pink Floyd, The Stones, and Queen were not 1 but 2 or even 3 decades past their peaks. I think having 1 of them in there is good for a roster, but 3 is too much.

I've heard the song and own the album. It's just not on my regular rotation. Listening right now on my Bose QC2 and it's definitely a great tune, that I've probably overlooked. Need to throw the album onto my iPhone, so I can listen through the whole thing again.

I disagree on the 80s. There was clearly a ton of garbage, but there was 10 X more good than bad.

I did find more than I thought I would in the 90s. Most teams have 3-4 songs I really like. It was deeper than I thought it would be, mostly because the rap, pop and country genres came on strong. But, rap began to overtake everything else as the decade came to a close, and here we are in 2017 with a major shortage of musical talent and rock largely vanishing as it just doesnt sell.

Ain't that the truth, and a damn shame.

I don't pretend to know what's been going on since I left in 2001 but I was under the assumption that since some new bands had emerged that were doing covers of songs that I liked, things must be improving. They can't possibly be worse than the 90s. Uncle Kracker's cover of Dobie Gray was damn well as good Dobie did himself. and Westlife's Seasons in the Sun is a worthy cover of Terry Jacks.

Also, likely because I live in Asia and laugh if you will, I like K-Pop. There's a lot more of it than just Gagnam Style. I've posted some a few times. My favorite all girl band is breaking up unfortunately. A good sound and excellent eye candy. Yuri :wub:

I don't pretend to know what's been going on since I left in 2001 but I was under the assumption that since some new bands had emerged that were doing covers of songs that I liked, things must be improving. They can't possibly be worse than the 90s. Uncle Kracker's cover of Dobie Gray was damn well as good Dobie did himself. and Westlife's Seasons in the Sun is a worthy cover of Terry Jacks.

Also, likely because I live in Asia and laugh if you will, I like K-Pop. There's a lot more of it than just Gagnam Style. I've posted some a few times. My favorite all girl band is breaking up unfortunately. A good sound and excellent eye candy. Yuri :wub:

I can only speak for myself, but todays rap is mostly unlistenable. Ive never loved rap, but I did like some of the funner rap songs from earlier decades. Theres nothing fun about most of this stuff.

Pop is thriving I guess. Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, Beyoncé, Adele, Justin Timberlake, Justin Bieber, and many others I dont know by name are churning out hits.

Check out Chris Stapleton for good country/southern rock.

A lot of country sorta has that 70s Southern Rock feel now. Steven Tyler and Bon Jovi put out country albums cuz nobody was interested in their rock stuff anymore.

Ed Sheeran is sorta folk pop. Very talented and highly listenable.

Imagine Dragons is decent.

Rock is literally on life support. Not sure if it can be saved.

Check out he new music thread. Nzoner and others have posted a few promising newer artists.

I get what you're saying but I'm not going to "sell out" if you will just to try and win some vote especially when IMO The Stones and Floyd songs were far better than half the crap that was drafted.Now if this was the WCOFF and we were playing for serious stakes.....