Sign in to follow this  
Mungwater

Got laid off today

I found a job too. 7 14s for 60 days as a foreman

Does this mean 7 days per week, 14 hours per day? If so it seems kinda rough.

Also, congrats on the move to management. You will quickly learn that your people suck. :cheers:

So you get laid off, and you log into this site to share on the same day? So you want MDC to comment on your recent loss of job for some reason?

You: "I lost my job today."

MDC: "Tough deal dude. Fvck Trump."

So you get laid off, and you log into this site to share on the same day? So you want MDC to comment on your recent loss of job for some reason?

You: "I lost my job today."

MDC: "Tough deal dude. Fvck Trump."

Fvck your politics in this post, unless you dont like fries in your frosty

• Like 1

Does this mean 7 days per week, 14 hours per day? If so it seems kinda rough.

Also, congrats on the move to management. You will quickly learn that your people suck. :cheers:

Yep 7 days a week 14 hours a day. It's going to be brutal. The last time I did this as a foreman I worked my ass off, harder than as a hand because the job was so screwed up. I am hoping it's not the case for this job.

Yep 7 days a week 14 hours a day. It's going to be brutal. The last time I did this as a foreman I worked my ass off, harder than as a hand because the job was so screwed up. I am hoping it's not the case for this job.

So, not 7 on, 7 off?

Damn.

Used to work 6/12.

But had a break in between.

This could just be a hunch, but I think its hard for baby boomers to fully appreciate the grind that a sales commission job takes.

i dont think so. Sales commission jobs have obviously been around forever and I feel like baby boomers were getting into those jobs more so than millenials and recent grads. Naturally, the hot sectors have changed but the skills needed remain the same. Have to be a self starter (which a lot of people think they are but really without the direction of their bosses, they are not), plus everything I already mentioned. I think it was just a one off, silly comment that sales = no job skills.

Hell, financial advisers and CFP's... I could turn around and say they have no job skills right? Their companies trained them to pass a series of exams and then peddle their products and pretend they care about their clients finances.... but I know how cut throat an industry it is and the skills that actually are required.

sounds safe

Exactly what I was thinking. We can read about the accident caused by overworked people later on.

his big brag about unions was worker safety

:doh:

Sderp is a Sdiick

Oh boy. Wiffledlck. Wow. Isn't this fun? You are so creative.

I'm surprised you didn't write another 14 page opinionated essay here on the current state of whatever the hell your mind is wandering on about.

drobeski, on 30 Jan 2019 - 07:54 AM, said:

his big brag about unions was worker safety

:doh:

Unions should protect against working like that. What a family life, when do you get to take your kids to the zoo, museum, park, etc if you are working that much for 2 months straight.

I am about as anti-union as possible and this is a prime reason.

They do not help the workers if they allow them to work like that.

Unions and non union alike do 7 12 jobs. It's just the way it is. Most places to implement a fatigue day into the schedule, but it will be hard to get rid of 7 12s completely. The amount of money a plant spends on pay us pales in comparison to how much they are losing each and every day the plant is down.

In my line of work, often it's about taking what's available. There aren't many long term construction jobs. 3 months is long term imo. I have done plenty of these 7 12 jobs, and while there is a serious injury here and there, there really aren't too many that happen.

Every shut down I go on where non union works by us, they far outpace the union side as far as serious injuries on these jobs.

Unions should protect against working like that. What a family life, when do you get to take your kids to the zoo, museum, park, etc if you are working that much for 2 months straight.

I am about as anti-union as possible and this is a prime reason.

They do not help the workers if they allow them to work like that.

Those of us on 7 12s want to be on it to make the extra money. I could make enough in 2 months to take another 2 months off. Trust me, I wish my schedule was more consistent, but I can't help where the work is.

Unions and non union alike do 7 12 jobs. It's just the way it is. Most places to implement a fatigue day into the schedule, but it will be hard to get rid of 7 12s completely. The amount of money a plant spends on pay us pales in comparison to how much they are losing each and every day the plant is down.

In my line of work, often it's about taking what's available. There aren't many long term construction jobs. 3 months is long term imo. I have done plenty of these 7 12 jobs, and while there is a serious injury here and there, there really aren't too many that happen.

Every shut down I go on where non union works by us, they far outpace the union side as far as serious injuries on these jobs.

Ironic aint it?

Unions were formed to protect the working man from unsafe work practices and unreasonable employer demands.