Sign in to follow this  
NorthernVike

A simple request

Each and every one of you start a non political thread. This is mine. :mellow:

I'll reply to yours if you reply to mine. :P :music_guitarred: :bench:

This is a great idea. Mine is gonna be about flying kites. I have a super awesome kite that I bought years ag... :nono:

You'll need to open my thread to find out more.

Done. I took the high road and started a bewbie thread

Well done my good man :cheers:

Let me talk about how good your mother is.

Click my link to find out more..

Link? :mad:

How many yards would Tommy Maddox throw for, if he was playing this year?

But how can I make non political thread if Obammer is takin muh guns! He just took muh guns! I have raights you know! MAI RAIIIIGHTS!

Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe

Print

• Prep time: 15 minutes
  • Cook time: 50 minutes
  • Yield: Serves 4
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 to 2 pounds potatoes (about 3 large potatoes), peeled and quartered
  • 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) butter
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1-2 cups vegetables—diced carrots, corn, peas
  • 1 1/2 lbs ground round beef
  • 1/2 cup beef broth
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice
MethodHide Photos

1 Boil the potatoes: Place the peeled and quartered potatoes in medium sized pot. Cover with at least an inch of cold water. Add a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender (about 20 minutes).

2 Sauté vegetables: While the potatoes are cooking, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until tender, about 6 to 10 minutes.

If you are including vegetables, add them according to their cooking time. Carrots should be cooked with the onions, because they take as long to cook as the onions do.

If you are including peas or corn, add them toward the end of the cooking of the onions, or after the meat starts to cook, as they take very little cooking time.

3 Add the ground beef, then Worcestershire sauce and broth: Add ground beef to the pan with the onions and vegetables. Cook until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Bring the broth to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth if necessary to keep the meat from drying out.

4 Mash the cooked potatoes: When the potatoes are done cooking (a fork can easily pierce), remove them from the pot and place them in a bowl with the remaining 4 Tbsp of butter. Mash with a fork or potato masher, and season with salt and pepper to taste.

5 Layer the meat mixture and mashed potatoes in a casserole dish: Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread the beef, onions, and vegetables (if using) in an even layer in a large baking dish (8x13 casserole).

Spread the mashed potatoes over the top of the ground beef. Rough up the surface of the mashed potatoes with a fork so there are peaks that will get well browned. You can even use a fork to make creative designs in the mashed potatoes.

6 Bake in oven: Place in a 400°F oven and cook until browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes. If necessary, broil for the last few minutes to help the surface of the mashed potatoes brown.

Suggested variations:

Put a layer of creamed corn between the ground beef and the mashed potatoes.

Sprinkle grated cheddar cheese over the top of the mashed potatoes before baking.

No! No fockin cheese on the shepards pie. Ever, for any reason. Fockin bullshit man

Print

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup beef broth
MethodHide Photos

1 Boil the potatoes: Place the peeled and quartered potatoes in medium sized pot. Cover with at least an inch of cold water. Add a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender (about 20 minutes).

2 Sauté vegetables: While the potatoes are cooking, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until tender, about 6 to 10 minutes.

If you are including vegetables, add them according to their cooking time. Carrots should be cooked with the onions, because they take as long to cook as the onions do.

If you are including peas or corn, add them toward the end of the cooking of the onions, or after the meat starts to cook, as they take very little cooking time.

3 Add the ground beef, then Worcestershire sauce and broth: Add ground beef to the pan with the onions and vegetables. Cook until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Bring the broth to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth if necessary to keep the meat from drying out.

4 Mash the cooked potatoes: When the potatoes are done cooking (a fork can easily pierce), remove them from the pot and place them in a bowl with the remaining 4 Tbsp of butter. Mash with a fork or potato masher, and season with salt and pepper to taste.

5 Layer the meat mixture and mashed potatoes in a casserole dish: Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread the beef, onions, and vegetables (if using) in an even layer in a large baking dish (8x13 casserole).

Spread the mashed potatoes over the top of the ground beef. Rough up the surface of the mashed potatoes with a fork so there are peaks that will get well browned. You can even use a fork to make creative designs in the mashed potatoes.

6 Bake in oven: Place in a 400°F oven and cook until browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes. If necessary, broil for the last few minutes to help the surface of the mashed potatoes brown.

Suggested variations:

Sprinkle grated cheddar cheese over the top of the mashed potatoes before baking.

:clap: :first:

Absolutely love Shepards pie and can take it with or without cheddar on top.

Fockin low brow trash. Want some ketchup on it too?

Don't be ridiculous.

You only put that on steak

Don't be ridiculous.

You only put that on steak

And cheese is for sea food.

Cheese, meat and potatoes is never trash, it’s delicious.

Each and every one of you start a non political thread. This is mine. :mellow:

I'll reply to yours if you reply to mine. :P :music_guitarred: :bench:

Beat you to it. See the automatic cars thread.

Beat you to it. See the automatic cars thread.

:thumbsup:

I did my part...john daly and cheese nips

That's two. Over achiever. <_<

The problem with shepherd's pie anymore is it's not authentic. Shepherds used to literally work until they dropped. The younger stronger guys would stay at the ranch or the farm and do what they do. But it didn't take much for an old man to follow a bunch of slow ass sheep around the fields.

You have to remember that Ireland was incredibly poor at the time. So, one day when they look out the window in the Sheep would be wondering about and it has been a day or more, the wife would start boiling the potatoes and other vegetables and a couple of men folk would go out and retrieve the shepherd. Generally they would sit down leaning against a tree or a rock. And the men would fetch the shepherd and they will prepare him as that evening and sometimes that week or even that entire months protein.

Nothing went to waste in Ireland. Hence, the original shepherd's pie.

Still, not nearly as tasty as the hooker kabobs.

The promise shepherd's pie anymore is it's not authentic. Shepherds used to literally work until they dropped. The younger stronger guys would stay at the ranch or the farm and do what they do. But it didn't take much for an old man to follow a bunch of slow ass sheep around the fields.

You have to remember that Ireland was incredibly poor at the time. So, one day when they look out the window in the Sheep would be wondering about and it has been a day or more, the wife would start boiling the potatoes and other vegetables and a couple of men folk would go out and retrieve the shepherd. Generally they would sit down leaning against a tree or a rock. And the men would fetch the shepherd and they will prepare him as that evening and sometimes that week or even that entire months protein.

Nothing went to waste in Ireland. Hence, the original shepherd's pie.

Still, not nearly as tasty as the hooker kabobs.

Exactly. There was no cheese in Ireland then. Gee, I wonder who added the cheese?

It would be easier if the board had a simple hide thread function. Tap a thread, option to hide it, then it doesn’t show up in your list.

It would be easier if the board had a simple hide thread function. Tap a thread, option to hide it, then it doesnt show up in your list.

Brilliant!

Print

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup beef broth
MethodHide Photos

Suggested variations:

Shepard's had sheep and lambs not cows. It is made with lamb not beef

9th post in 13 years and you choose this ? :blink: :huh:

By my count, we have 20 or so new non political threads today. Well done gentlemen. :cheers:

Technically, it was rarely made with lamb. Lambs were meant for sale. And poor Shepherds certainly couldn't afford to slaughter their Meager flock. Shepherd's pie was typically made from mutton.

Can we do this two days in a row?