Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Stand your ground law

Here's the bottom line.

Shooter has the law on his side & the dead dude attacked.Jury will need to follow the law.

State has the video showing dead dude backing away at sight of gun and the delay in the shooting.

This can go either way but my money is on acquittal. Then we get some riots, looting and free TVs local to the incident.

• Like 1

Ive either idled my car in a fire lane or other illegal parking space while my wife ran into a store for whatever or vice versa and I was never confronted for it.

So you would have shoved them, if they had. Got it.

There is about a second to a second and a half from the time he gets shoved to when the firearm is drawn. This is likely Derjka first real life confrontation where he had to pull his firearm, he is completely in fight or flight mode and basically making involuntary actions. Not guilty.

involutary actions? No no no... You are responsible for your weapon. You are basically demostrating that this guy shouldn't have a firearm if he basically 'blacks out' during the incident and isn't responsible for what happens

So it's NOT ok to escalate from words to a shove but it IS ok to escalate from a shove to shooting. Got it.

Yeah..because a shove is assault and words are not. Is that concept really that hard for you to follow?

So you would have shoved them, if they had. Got it.

No, but I would be pretty surprised.

involutary actions? No no no... You are responsible for your weapon. You are basically demostrating that this guy shouldn't have a firearm if he basically 'blacks out' during the incident and isn't responsible for what happens

I didn't say he blacked out I said he was in fight or flight mode aka in fear for his life.

No, but I would be pretty surprised.

If someone gave you any crap about parking in a spot that was hazardous or highly inconsiderate. Got it.

If someone gave you any crap about parking in a spot that was hazardous or highly inconsiderate. Got it.

If I parked / left my car in a handicapped spot or fire lane sure. But just idling there? I would be surprised.

Here's the bottom line.

Shooter has the law on his side & the dead dude attacked.Jury will need to follow the law.

State has the video showing dead dude backing away at sight of gun and the delay in the shooting.

This can go either way but my money is on acquittal. Then we get some riots, looting and free TVs local to the incident.

This is a logical post, so I'm going to do something risky and ask a simple question....

If the colors of the 3 people involved were reversed but everything else is exactly the same, is your money still on acquittal?

This is a logical post, so I'm going to do something risky and ask a simple question....

If the colors of the 3 people involved were reversed but everything else is exactly the same, is your money still on acquittal?

Yes. Seriously stop, you are digging for something that isn't there and you do the same shite every single time anyone has a discussion with you.

nope. I would lean the other way unless they dig up Johnny C. And Co. We are a fycked up country. This dude murdered the other guy. Put a black dude in the same spot and good luck.

Yes. Seriously stop, you are digging for something that isn't there and you do the same shite every single time anyone has a discussion with you.

I'm with ya on acquittal but he used SYG to act like a tough guy and ended up murdering him....because the law says he can. By pausing and letting the guy back up its murder. Like I said earlier....."when idiots collide."

nope. I would lean the other way unless they dig up Johnny C. And Co. We are a fycked up country. This dude murdered the other guy. Put a black dude in the same spot and good luck.

Agreed. I lean towards the white guy being found not guilty, and I would lean towards the black guy being found guilty if it were reversed. And if we are both correct, then while I don't condone riots, looting, and free TVs, I at least understand why certain people feel a need to protest.

Honestly, I don't think anyone that has read your posts in this thread believes that you'd have the exact same views on the situation if the colors of all involved were reversed....but if there weren't people like you that have the ability to convince themselves of their rationalizations, then some of these problems we have wouldn't exist. And they clearly do, so.....

Honestly, I don't think anyone that has read your posts in this thread believes that you'd have the exact same views on the situation if the colors of all involved were reversed....but if there weren't people like you that have the ability to convince themselves of their rationalizations, then some of these problems we have wouldn't exist. And they clearly do, so.....

BS. If it was a white guy who was a convicted felon that shoved a black guy that had never been arrested I would say the same thing.

BS. If it was a white guy who was a convicted felon that shoved a black guy that had never been arrested I would say the same thing.

I believe that you believe that.

Being a past convicted felon is a BS talking point to discredit the victim. If the victim was in the act of commiting a felony, it's applicable to the discussion. Since the shooter had no clue, then it's used to do nothing more then to discredit the murdered victim.

How do you know Johnny good guy with a gun didn't say something inflammatory, racist, threatening, intimidating? After all, he sought out the confrontation? He put himself in a situation that was completely unnecessary. Everyone is alive today and out of jail had he just walked into the store. But you automatically assume the black couple are at fault for acting aggressive, without the knowledge of what Mr. Snowflake even said??? Hmmm. Makes people wonder.

I would reserve judgment on the shooters character. It wasnt until a year or so after the Trayvon Martin shooting that we learned George Zimmerman is an unhinged violent piece of human garbage who wouldnt be trusted at all.

Being a past convicted felon is a BS talking point to discredit the victim. If the victim was in the act of commiting a felony, it's applicable to the discussion. Since the shooter had no clue, then it's used to do nothing more then to discredit the murdered victim.

How do you know Johnny good guy with a gun didn't say something inflammatory, racist, threatening, intimidating? After all, he sought out the confrontation? He put himself in a situation that was completely unnecessary. Everyone is alive today and out of jail had he just walked into the store. But you automatically assume the black couple are at fault for acting aggressive, without the knowledge of what Mr. Snowflake even said??? Hmmm. Makes people wonder.

Aggravated assault is a felony and so is battery, whatever you want to call it so yeah he was in the act of committing a felony. Could he of had better judgement? Sure but the burden wasn't on him he was the victim in this instance.

Aggravated assault is a felony and so is battery, whatever you want to call it so yeah he was in the act of committing a felony.

I just googled Aggravated Assault...

A person is guilty of aggravated assault if he or she attempts to cause serious bodily injury to another or causes such injury purposely, knowingly, or recklessly under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life; or attempts to cause or purposely or knowingly causes bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon. In all jurisdictions statutes punish such aggravated assaults as assault with intent to murder (or rob or kill or rape) and assault with a dangerous (or deadly) weapon more severely than "simple" assaults.

So pushing someone....that was an attempt to cause serious bodily injury while showing an extreme indifference to the value of human life? or was the push considered an attempt to injure with a deadly weapon? ....and if the push had made some onlookers nervous, is that considered terrorism?

Aggravated assault is a felony and so is battery, whatever you want to call it so yeah he was in the act of committing a felony. Could he of had better judgement? Sure but the burden wasn't on him he was the victim in this instance.

You don't know this! He could've walked up to the car and said something to the effect of "I should beat your ass for parking there". You have no clue what was said. Maybe he did threaten her? Maybe she felt threatened? Did he have a right do defend her and his property? Your assuming the murderer did nothing wrong without proof.

I just googled Aggravated Assault...

A person is guilty of aggravated assault if he or she attempts to cause serious bodily injury to another or causes such injury purposely, knowingly, or recklessly under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life; or attempts to cause or purposely or knowingly causes bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon. In all jurisdictions statutes punish such aggravated assaults as assault with intent to murder (or rob or kill or rape) and assault with a dangerous (or deadly) weapon more severely than "simple" assaults.

So pushing someone....that was an attempt to cause serious bodily injury while showing an extreme indifference to the value of human life? or was the push considered an attempt to injure with a deadly weapon? ....and if the push had made some onlookers nervous, is that considered terrorism?

I noticed you conveniently left out battery which is also a felony in Florida.

You don't know this! He could've walked up to the car and said something to the effect of "I should beat your ass for parking there". You have no clue what was said. Maybe he did threaten her? Maybe she felt threatened? Did he have a right do defend her and his property? Your assuming the murderer did nothing wrong without proof.

You cant make that resonate with him. He already said he wouldnt defend his woman

You cant make that resonate with him. He already said he wouldnt defend his woman

What do you think the guy did ran up and started saying racist sh!t? Is that what you are implying? Theres another black person outside the store when it happened and likely more right there and it is in a horrible part of town, the guy didn't do that. This wasn't a race thing at all, he walked up and confronted her about parking in a handicap spot and her bf overreacted. I do think the gf probably started screaming and shouting causing the bf to think it was a bigger deal than it was.

The shooter has a predictable history with threatening people with his gun. 3 times he has pulled it on people for road rage incidents. He has been rightfully charged with manslaughter, even though I do think the black guy could have hurt him bad. Hes a menace with his open carry being constant threat to society and I hope hes put away for some time.

This was scumbag vs scumbag.

This is where the gun advocates and stand your ground defenders lose people like me.

1. Completely avoidable situation. Inform the store owner. Call the cops. Write down the plates and report it. Nope. Tough guy with a gun confronts couple. The guy with the gun can do nothing about them parking there. Nothing, so it's a pointless confrontation.

2. Blame the victim without knowledge of the conversation. That seems reasonable. Don't blame the instigator. Don't blame the guy who escalated a already peaceful situation.

3. A shove is now considered life threatening, even though the guy who shoved was walking back.

4. He could've killed other people, innocent bystanders over a shove.

Focking frightening who's out there packing heat legally and illegally. I'd convict this pos just off the video alone.

What do you think the guy did ran up and started saying racist sh!t? Is that what you are implying? Theres another black person outside the store when it happened and likely more right there and it is in a horrible part of town, the guy didn't do that. This wasn't a race thing at all, he walked up and confronted her about parking in a handicap spot and her bf overreacted. I do think the gf probably started screaming and shouting causing the bf to think it was a bigger deal than it was.

90sbaby, would it even change your view on what happened if you found out your shooter had a history of trying to start fights and pulling his gun out because he gets mad when people commit traffic offenses? Or would you ingore that history and instead say it's less relevant than the black guy having committed a crime once?

So do you know what was said or not?

Since you're drawing inferences as to what the black guy was doing/going to do based on his looks, I'm going to go ahead and say that based on the mugshot of the shooter, it's guaranteed he was saying super racist and being incredibly aggressive.

• Like 1

90sbaby, would it even change your view on what happened if you found out your shooter had a history of trying to start fights and pulling his gun out because he gets mad when people commit traffic offenses? Or would you ingore that history and instead say it's less relevant than the black guy having committed a crime once?

I'd ask to see the charges and if he was convicted which I don't believe he was ever charged or convicted with any prior gun offenses. If he was that should be allowed into the trial as well as McGlockton's past convictions.

So do you know what was said or not?

I don't but others have implied Derjka was using racist terms so I just said some random made up dialogue as well.

About three months ago, Richard Kelly told a Pinellas County Sheriff's Office detective he was confronted by Drejka at Circle A Food Store, the same store where he shot McGlockton. Drejka, documents said, was upset because Kelly parked in a handicapped-accessible spot. The exchange between the two became very loud and Kelly said at some point during the argument Drejka told him he was going to shoot him, documents said.

Drejka then went to his car and was rummaging around the center console, but documents said Kelly drove away. Drejka, Kelly said, also threw racial slurs at him. Kelly is black and Drejka is white.

….

On December 12, 2012, a woman told a Largo Police Department officer that a man driving a black Toyota truck, later identified as Drejka, pointed a gun at her and the passengers in the vehicle.

The woman pointed out the truck to the officer. The officer spoke with Drejka, documents said, and he told the officer the woman was driving too slow through a school zone.

Drejka denied pointing a gun at the occupants of the car, documents said, but he did have a gun in his vehicle.

….

On January 10, 2012, Tyler Smith, 18, was driving with a friend when a traffic light turned yellow. Smith decided not to drive through the light and stopped his vehicle.

A truck, driven by Drejka, was behind Smith. Drejka honked his horn, documents said, and yelled at Smith. Drejka held a black handgun out the driver's side window of his vehicle and motioned for Smith to walk back to his truck, documents said. Drejka then followed the teen's vehicle, passed it and slammed on his brakes, according to police reports.

The teen did not press charges, documents said.

When officers confronted Drejka about the incident, he said the teen's car cut him off, the police report said. He said he neither followed the teen's car nor did he show his gun, but did admit to having one in his vehicle.

….

Drejka was driving his truck down US Route 19 Alternate in Pinellas County on November 13, 2013, when a woman turned onto the route, pulling into the center lane so that Drejka could pass, according to a police report. She then pulled out behind Drejka.

Drejka would later tell a state trooper that he felt the woman, who had her 4- and 7-year-old children in the car, almost hit him when she pulled into the center lane, the police report said. He began hitting his brakes "in an aggressive manner," closing the distance between him and the woman, the report said.

As she got closer, he again slammed his brakes aggressively and the woman rear-ended him, the report said. Drejka told police he was trying to turn into a store but missed the turn, the report said.

But he also acknowledged being upset with the woman, according to the report, and said he was "brake checking," a term for when you hit the brakes because another driver is riding your tail.

"Based on my training and experience and the damage to both vehicles, (Drejka) did not attempt to turn prior to the crash," the trooper wrote in the report, which said Drejka was cited for stopping or sudden decrease in speed without signaling.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/14/us/florida-stand-your-ground-previous-incidents/index.html

90sbaby, this is your guy. This is the guy you feel wasn't there to cause problems....Instead you are damn sure the black woman reacted, that the black guy was looking to kill the shooter, and this guy that did these things is clean.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/14/us/florida-stand-your-ground-previous-incidents/index.html

90sbaby, this is your guy. This is the guy you feel wasn't there to cause problems....Instead you are damn sure the black woman reacted, that the black guy was looking to kill the shooter, and this guy that did these things is clean.

JFC. Good guy with a gun.

Since you're drawing inferences as to what the black guy was doing/going to do based on his looks, I'm going to go ahead and say that based on the mugshot of the shooter, it's guaranteed he was saying super racist and being incredibly aggressive.

I drew my inferences based on his mugshot for armed burglary among other things. So go ahead?

I drew my inferences based on his mugshot for armed burglary among other things. So go ahead?

I based mine on his mugshot for manslaughter.

Never charged though?

I based mine on his mugshot for manslaughter.

Which is what we are debating here so it is kind of irrelevant, lol.

Never charged though?

Is that your threshold? You're good with people's actions as long as they've never been "charged"?