Big Blue 06

Books you are reading

5 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Bad thing is... I have read so many of these partial series now.... I'm having a hard time remembering what book is what. .

Yeah I would imagine its tough. I go through months at a time where I stop reading so I haven't gotten tied to too many yet

26 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I finished Extinction Red Line, which is actually book 0. Its the first book in a pretty large series. It was included in Kindle unlimited so I was excited about the length of the series. Unfortunately the next book was not included in unlimited. That was a disappointment. It was a solid read. I believe it was written to explain how the series actually started to answer questions

Currently I am on Of Shadow and Sea by Will Wight. Its solid, but there isn't anything epic about the story about 40% in. It doesn't come close to capturing the imagination like the Cradle books did. Hopefully it picks up a little.

On thing I must praise Wight on is his ability to get to the point. That was part of what made me enjoy Iron Prince a little less. That book was filled with too much useless or repetitive fluff. Wight's books do not suffer from that issue.

Will is actually pretty cool... interacts with fans.  I've FB chatted with him.  That series was okay... but yes his Cradle series is imho his best thus far.

12 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

My single favorite book of all time, which has more to do with when I read it. It was basically the first book into my gateway of reading. I loved every bit of it, and the ending was my favorite ending.

There are multiple series that have been born from that book. The two I read are the Ender series and another series that follows a different character, Bean. Both are great series and would give you a lot of material to keep yourself busy.

I believe there is a prequel series also, which I did start, the Formic Wars I believe. I got side tracked in the first book and never went back. I probably should now that I think about it

I don’t know if you or anyone here would like it but I enjoyed the Percy Jackson series as well as the spin-offs. Started reading that when I was 19 and followed it ever since. I always loved Greek mythology so it was right up my alley. Author also did an Egyptian series, a Roman series that crossed over with the Percy Jackson (Greek) series), and a Viking series (currently reading that as well). Since you read Enders Game I figured you might like this too 

If you guys liked Cradle...  I have a new favorite series.... I'd rank up there with it.

M.H. Johnson's:   Silver Fox & the Western Hero

Starting with "Warrior Reborn"

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Fox-Western-Hero-Warrior-ebook/dp/B08261T1YF

I love the series....  I think I'm on book 6 now... sort of an advance readers forum.  Though 5 are already on KU.

The author is a pretty humble guy.. I have FB chatted with him numerous times about his books.  

24 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

My single favorite book of all time, which has more to do with when I read it. It was basically the first book into my gateway of reading. I loved every bit of it, and the ending was my favorite ending.

There are multiple series that have been born from that book. The two I read are the Ender series and another series that follows a different character, Bean. Both are great series and would give you a lot of material to keep yourself busy.

I believe there is a prequel series also, which I did start, the Formic Wars I believe. I got side tracked in the first book and never went back. I probably should now that I think about it

Loved the Bean spinoff... fantastic series.

On 12/21/2020 at 5:58 PM, Frozenbeernuts said:

@mmmmm...beer

Warformed: Stormweaver book 1, Iron Prince. Have you read it? 5 stars on Kindle. It does not disappoint. Another leveling up type of series

I really did dig it.  One caveat... it's maybe written with a more "young adult" audience in mind.  There was imho too many "blushes awkwardly and quickly looks away" moments.  I mean... these folks are 18 yo freshman in what would considered to be battle college/school right?  Both sexes are in the same dorm suites, lockerroom together", wrastle/gym class.  Like every freshman-senior level college everywhere.... there would be soooooo much smashing going on that campus.

Just smash thst redhead already... sheesh...

10 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I don’t know if you or anyone here would like it but I enjoyed the Percy Jackson series as well as the spin-offs. Started reading that when I was 19 and followed it ever since. I always loved Greek mythology so it was right up my alley. Author also did an Egyptian series, a Roman series that crossed over with the Percy Jackson (Greek) series), and a Viking series (currently reading that as well). Since you read Enders Game I figured you might like this too 

Funny story to keep my older son into reading I read the Percy Jackson series the same time he did and we would talk about it along the way. For a series geared towards young adults it was really good. He denies it now as an adult but he cried when he realized the series was over. 
I was proud of his passion for the story. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mike Isles said:

Funny story to keep my older son into reading I read the Percy Jackson series the same time he did and we would talk about it along the way. For a series geared towards young adults it was really good. He denies it now as an adult but he cried when he realized the series was over. 
I was proud of his passion for the story. 

It really is a good series. I had to pace myself when reading it or else I’d read the entire book in a single night. When I worked on the cancer ward in the AF I worked nights and it was usually quiet with not much to do. So I’d do schoolwork and read. By the time I got back into reading they had almost all the books out for the series so I spent a lot of those nights catching back up on the series. They are making a Percy Jackson series on Disney + so I’m hoping it turns out better than the two movies 

2 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I finished Extinction Red Line, which is actually book 0. Its the first book in a pretty large series. It was included in Kindle unlimited so I was excited about the length of the series. Unfortunately the next book was not included in unlimited. That was a disappointment. It was a solid read. I believe it was written to explain how the series actually started to answer questions

Currently I am on Of Shadow and Sea by Will Wight. Its solid, but there isn't anything epic about the story about 40% in. It doesn't come close to capturing the imagination like the Cradle books did. Hopefully it picks up a little.

On thing I must praise Wight on is his ability to get to the point. That was part of what made me enjoy Iron Prince a little less. That book was filled with too much useless or repetitive fluff. Wight's books do not suffer from that issue.

Agree...too many adjectives lol

• Like 1

Yea this book is completely different than the movie. But in a good way. I’m loving that it’s a completely different story (with a few things that are the same) instead of it being exactly the same 

9 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Yeah I would imagine its tough. I go through months at a time where I stop reading so I haven't gotten tied to too many yet

I have a list on my phone so I know what to look for lol..so many series...so little time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

I really did dig it.  One caveat... it's maybe written with a more "young adult" audience in mind.  There was imho too many "blushes awkwardly and quickly looks away" moments.  I mean... these folks are 18 yo freshman in what would considered to be battle college/school right?  Both sexes are in the same dorm suites, lockerroom together", wrastle/gym class.  Like every freshman-senior level college everywhere.... there would be soooooo much smashing going on that campus.

Just smash thst redhead already... sheesh...

Exactly. It got old. I assume that as the characters get older that will disappear. I wonder if the author will just replace it with more repetitive emotions, or if he will wittle it down. I dont remember any of my college friends being like that at all. All of these top of their class students. They have Supreme confidence except for how to approach the opposite sex? Doesn't make sense.

10 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

If you guys liked Cradle...  I have a new favorite series.... I'd rank up there with it.

M.H. Johnson's:   Silver Fox & the Western Hero

Starting with "Warrior Reborn"

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Fox-Western-Hero-Warrior-ebook/dp/B08261T1YF

I love the series....  I think I'm on book 6 now... sort of an advance readers forum.  Though 5 are already on KU.

The author is a pretty humble guy.. I have FB chatted with him numerous times about his books.  

Acknowledge this!

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I started the first book. Its literally an rpg

It gets better as it goes along.

There’s a zombie book series y’all might like. My brother suggested it to me and gave me the books. It’s quite addicting. It’s about an Air Force  captain living in San Antonio (one of the reasons he suggested it) when the zombie apocalypse hits. Here’s the Amazon link in case y’all wanna check it out. I highly suggest it 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0978970772/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

17 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

There’s a zombie book series y’all might like. My brother suggested it to me and gave me the books. It’s quite addicting. It’s about an Air Force  captain living in San Antonio (one of the reasons he suggested it) when the zombie apocalypse hits. Here’s the Amazon link in case y’all wanna check it out. I highly suggest it 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0978970772/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Read it...loved it.  The last 2 books are absolute sh1t.  

1 minute ago, Mike Honcho said:

Okay, that's crazy, me too.

Don’t get the joke. You started Ready Player Two and I started Ready Player One last night. ???

7 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Well?

Finished the first book and am about 75% done with the second. I think the writer really grew into the series between the first and second book. In the first I found some details missing at points in the story. I dont feel the same in the second.  I still can't quite put it on the pedestal Cradle occupies, but I am definitely hooked. I haven't had much to do these past few days so I am burning through this faster than I thought.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Finished the first book and am about 75% done with the second. I think the writer really grew into the series between the first and second book. In the first I found some details missing at points in the story. I dont feel the same in the second.  I still can't quite put it on the pedestal Cradle occupies, but I am definitely hooked. I haven't had much to do these past few days so I am burning through this faster than I thought.

I just started book 4.

This writer is one of those, I dunno..masochists..basically where the hero is constantly beaten down  where anything that can go wrong does.  I mean jesus, give the kid a break.  How many times does he have to be beat to pulp??  On top of that..no puzzy allowed..c'mon man.  I just kinda get tired of the 1 win 20 losses stories.  Beating the hell out of the main character isnt good reading when its 75 percent of the book.

Im like..ok..who gets a shot at him next..ho hum..more adversity..rinse repeat..

12 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Well?

Finished book 2. So I need to part of this forum to read book 6? I'm pretty excited that there are at least 3 more books to read through. 

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Finished book 2. So I need to part of this forum to read book 6? I'm pretty excited that there are at least 3 more books to read through. 

You don't have to be part of the forum... you can just look at it.  He posts another chapter of Book 6 every 3 days or so.  It's actually kinda cool.

I finished Rhythm of War by Sanderson last week. 

About 80% of my way through The Three-Body Problem by Liu

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 6:58 PM, Frozenbeernuts said:

@mmmmm...beer

Warformed: Stormweaver book 1, Iron Prince. Have you read it? 5 stars on Kindle. It does not disappoint. Another leveling up type of series

Just finished it.  It's a bit formulaic but was well done. Worth the read.

• Like 1

Just started the witcher series.

Bone Lord...free on kindle unlimited.  3 books.  No fluff here...fighting, fockin and feasting.  

5 books now...

• Like 1

Winner-Take-All Politics: How Washington Made the Rich Richer--And Turned Its Back on the Middle Class   /Hacker &  Pierson

On 1/14/2021 at 12:51 PM, Frozenbeernuts said:

All caught up with White Fox and the Western Hero. Great series for sure. A good chunk of reading to get through too

One chapter into book 1.  Very cool premise so far.

• Like 1

So; a lot of you guys read Si-fi and fantasy. I am in no way critical of that: I just don't do it. I love Si-fi, but I want the visuals (movies). 

I read for information. I just read "Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art", by James Nestor. The rapid increase in size of our brains, crushed into our sinuses and mouths, and decreased their sizes. This makes it harder for us to breath through our noses. The teeth did not shrink, and are over-crowded in the allotted space. This is why we get crooked teeth. The size of the human mouth also decreased because we eat soft food and do not chew as much as our ancestors. The mouth size change is very recent, and is reversible, to a degree if you (for example) chew gum. 

I read a scientific book on dogs: They are confused wolves.

I read a book on meditation: Whatever happens during meditation is your success. 

I'm a hoot at cocktail parties, I swear.  :banana:

I am 85% through the second book in the Chronicles of the Black Gate series, 6 books. Very good so far. The first book didn't really hook me until after the halfway mark. The second book is excellent. It's a magic fantasy series

I've listened to all the expedition force on audible and they are a fun listen.

I also recommend we are legion we are bob

I am reading “Let the Right One in”.  It’s decent, I’m about 75% done.  I know there were a couple movies based on it (one Asian and then an American version), but I never saw them.