Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Ken Burns - Country Music

Anyone watching this? CM isn't for everyone, but for those it is - this is another fantastic series by Burns.

I'm not a big fan of current CM, but seeing the history and story told is pretty fascinating.

You can catch already aired episodes online, PBS.. The rest are coming soon.

https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/country-music/ 

Yep.  Watched the Hank Williams episode a couple days ago.  Good stuff   

Not a huge country music fan either, but what’s not to like?

Music

History

Ken Burns

I’m all in. 

11 minutes ago, kutulu said:

Any mention of Hee Haw?

Ha, I've not gotten that far - but I'm sure they will. HH was a staple of getting CM to the masses, and Owens/Clark were legends.

11 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Yep.  Watched the Hank Williams episode a couple days ago.  Good stuff   

Not a huge country music fan either, but what’s not to like?

Music

History

Ken Burns

I’m all in. 

Correct.  I’m not a huge fan either but this is so well done.

I had no idea Willie Nelson wrote ‘Crazy’ by Patsy Cline.  Really cool.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Ha, I've not gotten that far - but I'm sure they will. HH was a staple of getting CM to the masses, and Owens/Clark were legends.

Hopefully it includes the hee haw honeys too.. They were also legends :wub:

• Like 1

Nope. Fock him and his daughter after that Central Park five bullshit. Liars dragging good people and cops through the mud. 

Spoiler alert:

Decent doc series but:

Johnny Cash might be the most overrated artist of all time.  Ok, he was a pioneer, but he had a very  limited vocal range and even less musical ability.  They also spent way too much time on his daughter.   

Burns basically dismissed both Glen Campbell and John Denver with about 30 seconds of commentary.   Not sure why he felt these 2 singer/songwriters should just be glossed over like that   

Charlie Daniels had a few interview clips but they spent zero time exploring his music 

They did get into Hee Haw but mostly focused on Buck Owens and Minnie Pearl.   Meanwhile Roy Clark, the best musician on that show and arguably the history of country music was an afterthought.  There was absolutely no mention or showing of the Hee Haw babes. Boo! 

I did enjoy learning more about Dwight Yokamm and Emylou Harris.  

I also came away with a better appreciation for Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Marty Stuart and Kris Kristofferson.  I might actually buy some of their tunes.  

I guess they had to end it somewhere but no real time was spent on Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, Chris Stapleton, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban, or Kenny Chesney.   They did briefly mention Shania Twain so Sux could have something to jerk off to  

3 out of 5 stars. 

• Thanks 1

Great doc. Engrossing.  I really don't need much info on today's pop country stars.  Myabe Burns can add them later, when their story is actually written.

11 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Spoiler alert:

Decent doc series but:

Johnny Cash might be the most overrated artist of all time.  Ok, he was a pioneer, but he had a very  limited vocal range and even less musical ability.  They also spent way too much time on his daughter.   

Burns basically dismissed both Glen Campbell and John Denver with about 30 seconds of commentary.   Not sure why he felt these 2 singer/songwriters should just be glossed over like that   

Charlie Daniels had a few interview clips but they spent zero time exploring his music 

They did get into Hee Haw but mostly focused on Buck Owens and Minnie Pearl.   Meanwhile Roy Clark, the best musician on that show and arguably the history of country music was an afterthought.  There was absolutely no mention or showing of the Hee Haw babes. Boo! 

I also came away with a better appreciation for Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Marty Stuart and Kris Kristofferson.  I might actually buy some of their tunes.  

I guess they had to end it somewhere but no real time was spent on Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, Chris Stapleton, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban, or Kenny Chesney.   They did briefly mention Shania Twain so Sux could have something to jerk off to  

3 out of 5 stars. 

I like every artist you mentioned except Yoakam.  Too twangy for me I think.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Spoiler alert:

Decent doc series but:

3 out of 5 stars. 

Excellent comments.

I agree with a lot of what you said. 

Johnny Cash was covered at the level of his relevance to country music. Charlie Daniels was also covered to the level of his relevance, in my opinion. 

Roy Clark and Glen Campbell got the short end go the stick for sure. I don't remember a time specifically, but I would bet those two got together and blew the doors off an instrumental or two. 

I am a big Dwight Yokam fan and play a couple of his songs. Buena Noches from a Lonely Room is one of my favorite albums. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

Excellent comments.

I agree with a lot of what you said. 

Johnny Cash was covered at the level of his relevance to country music. Charlie Daniels was also covered to the level of his relevance, in my opinion. 

Roy Clark and Glen Campbell got the short end go the stick for sure. I don't remember a time specifically, but I would bet those two got together and blew the doors off an instrumental or two. 

I am a big Dwight Yokam fan and play a couple of his songs. Buena Noches from a Lonely Room is one of my favorite albums. 

Thanks for the insight on Yokam I’ve been wondering where I should start with him. I’ll check out that record.  

Regarding Cash, I feel like this doc put him on the same pedestal as Hank Williams, and I just don’t think he belonged there.  Maybe the sob stories of addiction and failed marriages were designed to be the compelling story lines. He certainly had those things in common with Hank Sr.  

Many purists (apparently including Burns) don’t think John Denver was country.  

He had 2 albums hit # 1 on the country charts and 7 total albums made the top 10. 

He was certainly a cross over pop/folk star but that shouldn’t be held against him.  

• Thanks 1

Lots of country people never accepted Yoakam because he was from California, even though he's more country than most of the "country" stars. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Lots of country people never accepted Yoakam because he was from California, even though he's more country than most of the "country" stars. 

I listened to a podcast with Billy Bob Thornton where he talked a lot about his friendship with Dwight.  

Apparently, Billy spent a lot of time trying to make it as a musician while Dwight was trying to break through as an actor.  

At some point, wires crossed and they each found fame and fortune in their second choice careers.  

For the record, I thought Dwight’s performance in Sling Blade was tremendous. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I listened to a podcast with Billy Bob Thornton where he talked a lot about his friendship with Dwight.  

Apparently, Billy spent a lot of time trying to make it as a musician while Dwight was trying to break through as an actor.  

At some point, wires crossed and they each found fame and fortune in their second choice careers.  

For the record, I thought Dwight’s performance in Sling Blade was tremendous. 

So did I. He was  a great a-hole in that movie. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 11:45 PM, vuduchile said:

I did enjoy learning more about Dwight Yokamm

I think his cover of Suspicious Minds is fantastic,the video made for it isn't half bad either.

• Like 1

Count me as one of those who thinks you could never overrate Johnny Cash.

His musical influence, 90 millions records sold, all that aside - what a fascinating life he had.......... Toured with an up and coming Elvis Pressley, traveled with Patsy Cline, his connection to Bob Dylan. And as if that weren't 'enuff - he was banging June Carter - wow.

I think the most incredible thing, over a half century later - and we've still not seen or heard a voice quite like his.

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

I think the most incredible thing, over a half century later - and we've still not seen or heard a voice quite like his.

To each their own.  His half talking half singing 3 note range is dull as hell to me.  

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:17 AM, KSB2424 said:

Correct.  I’m not a huge fan either but this is so well done.

I had no idea Willie Nelson wrote ‘Crazy’ by Patsy Cline.  Really cool.

Me neither. I'm really enjoying learning so much. Had no idea about the beginnings of Willie Nelson's and Khris Kristofferson's careers.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:36 AM, vuduchile said:

To each their own. 

For sure, no doubt.

I know it's blasphemy, but George Jones nor Charley Pride never did much for me.

38 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

For sure, no doubt.

I know it's blasphemy, but George Jones nor Charley Pride never did much for me.

Yeah.  George just has a really old fashioned sound to me.