JustinCharge

California signs into law bill that allows college athletes to profit from endorsements

15 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Because you seem to be trying to lead it there.

I control your thoughts now? Typical lib, always passing blame for what they do.  

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I control your thoughts now? Typical lib, always passing blame for what they do.  

OK 👍

On 10/3/2019 at 7:17 AM, bandrus1 said:

But a chemistry nerd is allowed to make money using his craft for profit

What exactly does this mean?  You think a college kid that majors in chemistry is making money during college with their chemistry knowledge???  News flash. They don't.  They most likely work a part time job making lattes or waiting tables. Maybe they get paid minimum wage as a lab assistant or TA. Once they graduate with a degree in their field then sure, but that is what a college education is all about.  You take classes in order to learn sh1t and get a job. 

Nothing is stopping the star athletes from doing the same as far as part time jobs go. I agree it's probably difficult with their schedule, but once again they chose to go that route. 

41 minutes ago, DonS said:

What exactly does this mean?  You think a college kid that majors in chemistry is making money during college with their chemistry knowledge???  News flash. They don't.  They most likely work a part time job making lattes or waiting tables. Maybe they get paid minimum wage as a lab assistant or TA. Once they graduate with a degree in their field then sure, but that is what a college education is all about.  You take classes in order to learn sh1t and get a job. 

Nothing is stopping the star athletes from doing the same as far as part time jobs go. I agree it's probably difficult with their schedule, but once again they chose to go that route. 

the only thing is, and I am all for that, but you aren't allowed to have a job (which leads to many many cash opportunities to make appearances)  for example I was paid 1000$ cash to help setup a baseball academy

On 10/4/2019 at 7:39 PM, DonS said:

If you don't think their are students who make money via the research they do then I don't think you understand what happens at large Universities. CS students write, develope, and sell code all the time

Thought we were talking about chemistry, not computer science? 

I used chemistry randomly as an example nobody is really talking about chemistry specifically.

And if a chemistry student was to make some landmark discovery by chance they CAN profit from it.

Athletes are the only group of students who are restricted to not use their talents for their own gain. In the CA case they are not even being paid to play. It is just saying they are allowed to accept money for marketing their likeness

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

I used chemistry randomly as an example nobody is really talking about chemistry specifically.

And if a chemistry student was to make some landmark discovery by chance they CAN profit from it.

Athletes are the only group of students who are restricted to not use their talents for their own gain. In the CA case they are not even being paid to play. It is just saying they are allowed to accept money for marketing their likeness

I really think the main reason some people are against it is because they think it’s going to ruin their enjoyment of college sports. As a college sports fan I admit that it concerns me as well but it’s a bit of a selfish point of view. 

If it’s not that then it’s probably people who were once student athletes that were not allowed to do it so they don’t think anyone else should be able to. 

15 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Fair enough, but you did use chemistry as an example. It was just a bad one. Also keep in mind we need to be discussing undergrad students, not post-grad doctorate students. Don't think too many undergrads are making landmark discoveries.

Just now, DonS said:

Fair enough, but you did use chemistry as an example. It was just a bad one. Also keep in mind we need to be discussing undergrad students, not post-grad doctorate students. Don't think too many undergrads are making landmark discoveries.

What about someone in band. Could have a scholarship possibly. They could be making money playing in a band. 

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

If you don't think their are students who make money via the research they do then I don't think you understand what happens at large Universities. CS students write, develope, and sell code all the time

College athletes can write, develop, and sell code too. Most of them have to learn how to read and speak english first though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sderk said:

College athletes can write, develop, and sell code too. Most of them have to learn how to read and speak english first though.

You don't find it absurd a college athlete cant develope a fitness app and say they are an athlete? 

An interesting development to say the least. 

This could be the biggest thing to happen in the sports collectibles market in a long time. 

Right now Panini has a contract with CLC (Learfield) that gives them exclusive rights to make trading cards with college logos and marks for about 400 schools. 

So if a college isn’t one of the 400  participating in the CLC  program, their players would need an agreement with the school to use their logos and marks to profit from any products that feature  them.  

There are trading cards out there that don’t feature team names and logos, but they’re not nearly as desirable.  

I have a meeting tomorrow with a promoter who represents some current and retired MLB and NFL players for appearances  

We want to do a special event with an athlete to sign autographs at the shop. 

Based on this legislation and our location, we could also be looking at current athletes from ND, MI, MI State, Purdue and Indiana in the future. 

Does Reggie Bushes get his Heisman back?