JustinCharge

California signs into law bill that allows college athletes to profit from endorsements

10 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Wait till the cheerleaders start demanding equal pay and screw it up for everyone 

This is about getting endorsements not getting paid by the school. If a cheerleader can get an endorsement then they should be allowed to also. 

cheerleading is not an NCAA sport thus schools can pay cheerleaders anything they want and not face sanctions from the NCAA

30 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

cheerleading is not an NCAA sport thus schools can pay cheerleaders anything they want and not face sanctions from the NCAA

So why would they care if football players make some money off of their names?  

7 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

So why would they care if football players make some money off of their names?  

I didn't say it

Just now, bandrus1 said:

I didn't say it

I know. Wasn’t trying to come off that way. 

Does cheerleading have their own organization though? Wonder if they have their own restrictions like the NCAA. 

people better watch what they hope for

the minute this goes into legislation is the end of ALOT of college athletic programs

most schools might cut down to Football and men and women's basketball, as those are the only that will generate money, and you know we will hear the "women's soccer" biatches complain unfair pay

2 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I know. Wasn’t trying to come off that way. 

Does cheerleading have their own organization though? Wonder if they have their own restrictions like the NCAA. 

Cheerleading doesnt generate revenue, therefore the NCAA and pretty much nobody cares

14 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

A college degree is no small thing. Worth millions over a lifetime. And athletes not only get it for free they are given extra years to earn it. If they don't get it, it is 100% on them. 

It's almost like she has no idea what she's talking about. 

5 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

the minute this goes into legislation is the end of ALOT of college athletic programs

most schools might cut down to Football and men and women's basketball, as those are the only that will generate money, and you know we will hear the "women's soccer" biatches complain unfair pay

And the second they do, liberal heads will exlplode and laws will be passed so schools can't do that. Then the real sh!tstorm starts when the money making sport participants heads start exploding because they think they deserve more than the inconsequential sports. It's going to be hilarious watching the whole sh!tstorm. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Just to confirm this is not schools paying them right. This is just stating that athletes can accept endorsements 

Which will effectively become a way for boosters to (perhaps legally) launder money to recruits.  :thumbsup:

I haven’t read the thread but mixed feelings.  1.  Seems weird, actually anti-American for any person not to profit on their “likeness”.  2.  The Pandora’s box this opens is mind boggling.

:dunno:

• Like 2

On 10/1/2019 at 5:39 PM, DonS said:

Weed is legal in WA and CO, but the NFL will still suspend players in those states for testing positive for marijuana.  How is this any different? 

'Cause you're a stoner :D

8 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Which will effectively become a way for boosters to (perhaps legally) launder money to recruits.  :thumbsup:

Correct

13 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I get all that but you don’t care about how the schools can make millions off of their names but the athletes can’t?

They can make all the money they want by going pro. While playing in college they need to abide by the rules that are in place. If they do not like the rules, they do not have to play college sports. 

9 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I would actually love to see this. Dumbass California liberals basically eliminate women's sports. I'm in. :thumbsup:

35 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I would actually love to see this. Dumbass California liberals basically eliminate women's sports. I'm in. :thumbsup:

Aren't liberals now in the business of eliminating females as a core tenet?

You can still be an illiterate thug and get in, right? 

11 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Cheerleading doesnt generate revenue, therefore the NCAA and pretty much nobody cares

It must generate some kind of revenue, they put competitions on TV.  Nowhere near the revenue that football and basketball bring in though.

Why wouldn't a cheerleader be able to get an endorsement though.  There are companies that are geared towards the cheer leading community that I'm sure would endorse a cheerleader or squad.  Maybe they already do, I have no idea.

10 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

I haven’t read the thread but mixed feelings.  1.  Seems weird, actually anti-American for any person not to profit on their “likeness”.  2.  The Pandora’s box this opens is mind boggling.

:dunno:

This is pretty much how I feel as well.  I worry about the implications but I think it's wrong to prevent athletes from making money off their likeness while their college and networks make millions.

I don't know if this law is a good thing or a bad thing... but my initial impression is that it's not well thought out and that they really don't understand what their doing, the future impact, or the future consequences.  That's par for the course for Democrat law makers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bostonlager said:

They can make all the money they want by going pro. While playing in college they need to abide by the rules that are in place. If they do not like the rules, they do not have to play college sports. 

How can a kid that doesn't play college football go pro?  It's possible but it is very, very, very rare.  I agree they need to abide by the current rules, I also think the rules suck and the NCAA is a terrible organization.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't know if this law is a good thing or a bad thing... but my initial impression is that it's not well thought out and that they really don't understand what their doing, the future impact, or the future consequences.  That's par for the course for Democrat law makers.

You had a decent post until the last sentence.  I think everyone knows you blame all the world's problems on democrats, you don't have to mention it every post.  It takes away from your message.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

How can a kid that doesn't play college football go pro?  It's possible but it is very, very, very rare.  I agree they need to abide by the current rules, I also think the rules suck and the NCAA is a terrible organization.

According to the NFL he is permitted to enter the draft 3 years after he graduates high school. No one is forcing him to play football in college. If college athletes are permitted to make money, the sports that matter, football and basketball will be ruined forever. Without the NCAA you have an amateur pro league. 

Just now, bostonlager said:

According to the NFL he is permitted to enter the draft 3 years after he graduates high school. No one is forcing him to play football in college. If college athletes are permitted to make money, the sports that matter, football and basketball will be ruined forever. Without the NCAA you have an amateur pro league. 

Why would the other sports get ruined.  All major athletes would be able to make money off their likenesses.  All the best players in every sport could now make money.  They players that are not that popular will not make much, if anything at all, regardless of what sport they play.

I think some are confused with getting paid by the school to play and endorsements from companies.  There's a difference.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Why would the other sports get ruined.  All major athletes would be able to make money off their likenesses.  All the best players in every sport could now make money.  They players that are not that popular will not make much, if anything at all, regardless of what sport they play.

I think some are confused with getting paid by the school to play and endorsements from companies.  There's a difference.

As stated before - It opens up the door for boosters to launder money to recruits and athletes. If you think backpacks filled with cash are a problem now, just wait until it is a free for all. 

As stated before - It opens up the door for boosters to launder money to recruits and athletes. If you think backpacks filled with cash are a problem now, just wait until it is a free for all. 

I know, I get that, and that is a concern but would that possibly give other colleges the opportunity to do it also?  There are colleges that actually play by the rules and lose out to the big colleges.  Wouldn't this give a kid the opportunity to go to a smaller school, be the star there and make some money from area sponsors now?

I honestly don't know what will happen.  It's an interesting debate though.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I know, I get that, and that is a concern but would that possibly give other colleges the opportunity to do it also?  There are colleges that actually play by the rules and lose out to the big colleges.  Wouldn't this give a kid the opportunity to go to a smaller school, be the star there and make some money from area sponsors now?

I honestly don't know what will happen.  It's an interesting debate though.

Do you think the playing field is unfair now? If a non power 5 school this year goes undefeated do you think they are going to make it into the college football playoff? No they are not. I find this to be a major problem with the sport and division one should be split up. Think of how unfair the advantage is going to be when power 5 boosters who have much more money than non power 5 boosters are able to freely launder money to athletes and prospects. Allowing money into amateur athletics is an idea that is beyond stupid. 

Do you think the playing field is unfair now? If a non power 5 school this year goes undefeated do you think they are going to make it into the college football playoff? No they are not. I find this to be a major problem with the sport and division one should be split up. Think of how unfair the advantage is going to be when power 5 boosters who have much more money than non power 5 boosters are able to freely launder money to athletes and prospects. Allowing money into amateur athletics is an idea that is beyond stupid. 

I think too many people are putting the sport above what's actually right for these athletes.  I don't want to ruin college football either but I think the system is broken right now and I think these athletes deserve their fair share.

I think we can all agree that there will be no way to stem corruption.  i.e. signing a contract with a recruit to pay him 500K for doing local car commercials.  

I have not read the law's definition of "likeness".

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I think too many people are putting the sport above what's actually right for these athletes.  I don't want to ruin college football either but I think the system is broken right now and I think these athletes deserve their fair share.

Just stop with the liberal mess of "better to do something totally wrong and ill thought out than do nothing" (See the ACA).

7 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Tuition/Room and board - $40,000 per year?

How much help money is the nerd in the chemistry lab getting?

4 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Just stop with the liberal mess of "better to do something totally wrong and ill thought out than do nothing" (See the ACA).

Yeah... I'm not doing that though.  I want something well thought out.

1 minute ago, bostonlager said:

Tuition/Room and board - $40,000 per year?

How much help money is the nerd in the chemistry lab getting?

The nerd in the chemistry lab most likely has scholarships to attend their college.  They probably also have a job.  Not only that but they will most likely be moving on to a very high paying job that their college will help them get.

If the football player does not make the pros or gets hurt he will most likely have a basic, entry level job with very little money saved up.  The ones that were on scholarship every year will have little to no debt which is great but not every player is on scholarship every year.  Most players are broke.

37 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

You had a decent post until the last sentence.  I think everyone knows you blame all the world's problems on democrats, you don't have to mention it every post.  It takes away from your message.

Look, a libtard telling someone what to, or what not to, say. Shocking. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Look, a libtard telling someone what to, or what not to, say. Shocking. 

I'm not a liberal but you can keep blaming every problem on them all you want.  I just thought you had a decent point but then ruined it by throwing in the dem comment.  I've noticed you do it a lot and I don't see the point of it.  We know your stance already.  I can't tell you what to do, it was just a suggestion.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I'm not a liberal but you can keep blaming every problem on them all you want.  I just thought you had a decent point but then ruined it by throwing in the dem comment.  I've noticed you do it a lot and I don't see the point of it.  We know your stance already.  I can't tell you what to do, it was just a suggestion.

I didn't make the comment. Hey look, a libtard making sweeping accusations without any factual basis.