Sign in to follow this  
Gepetto

Ronald Jones II

Is he going to do anything this year? 

I'm thinking of dropping him to pick up the Browns D for week 10.

12 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

Is he going to do anything this year? 

I'm thinking of dropping him to pick up the Browns D for week 10.

We're 9 weeks into the season.  It would have happened by now.  I see Jones and Barber as sharing the rest of the way.  It's clear to anyone with eyes that Jones is the much better RB both running and pass-catching, but Arians seems to not want to commit for some reason.  Which is weird because he's supposed to be one of the smarter and better coaches in the league.

What do you mean doing anything this season? 

Hes a low rb3 or high rb4 in non ppr, where you expecting more? 

Well that’s what he well deliver, I don’t play ppr so don’t know. 

But non ppr he’s a low 3 but more of a high4. 

And that’s where I think he will be going forward. 

He’s been underwhelming since he’s been in the nfl. 

I can't figure Jones out.  If you YouTube his college runs, he was a flat out stud, even against great competition.  Leads me to believe the issue is more the offensive line than anything.  It's a bad situation in Tampa.  They are going to need help along the line, a new QB and Arians obviously doesn't like Jones, so they may even need a RB.  From a talent perspective, Jones has much more than Drake who just went to AZ.  In a competent offense, I think he could be a RB2.  Behind that line though, I doubt the top RB's would fare very well. 

Looks like Arians is coming to his senses on Jones.  Glad to see this as I have him in both of my leagues and almost dropped him in one due to bye weeks and injuries. 

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/12162/ronald-jones

Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians said Ronald Jones has "earned the right to start" and "play more snaps."

"He's been consistent," Arians said of Jones. "He's been more explosive. It's not that Peyton [Barber] did anything wrong." Jones had out-rushed Barber 314 to 262 on five fewer carries heading into Week 9 but it still took Arians until November to christen last year's No. 38 overall pick as the team's starter. Nonetheless Jones was in on a season-high 53 percent of Tampa Bay's offensive snaps against Seattle while Barber had his role diminished to season-lows in carries (4) and snaps (14%). Arizona's allowed the second-most fantasy points per game to opposing running backs, putting Jones in prime position to dominate as a RB2 in his second consecutive start.

6 minutes ago, uwmalcolm said:

Looks like Arians is coming to his senses on Jones.  Glad to see this as I have him in both of my leagues and almost dropped him in one due to bye weeks and injuries. 

Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians said Ronald Jones has "earned the right to start" and "play more snaps."

"He's been consistent," Arians said of Jones. "He's been more explosive. It's not that Peyton [Barber] did anything wrong." Jones had out-rushed Barber 314 to 262 on five fewer carries heading into Week 9 but it still took Arians until November to christen last year's No. 38 overall pick as the team's starter. Nonetheless Jones was in on a season-high 53 percent of Tampa Bay's offensive snaps against Seattle while Barber had his role diminished to season-lows in carries (4) and snaps (14%). Arizona's allowed the second-most fantasy points per game to opposing running backs, putting Jones in prime position to dominate as a RB2 in his second consecutive start.

Gosh I hope so. I can only imagine starting him next week and Arians goes back to playing his games again.

10 minutes ago, uwmalcolm said:

"He's been consistent," Arians said of Jones. "He's been more explosive. It's not that Peyton [Barber] did anything wrong." Jones had out-rushed Barber 314 to 262 on five fewer carries heading into Week 9 but it still took Arians until November to christen last year's No. 38 overall pick as the team's starter. Nonetheless Jones was in on a season-high 53 percent of Tampa Bay's offensive snaps against Seattle while Barber had his role diminished to season-lows in carries (4) and snaps (14%). Arizona's allowed the second-most fantasy points per game to opposing running backs, putting Jones in prime position to dominate as a RB2 in his second consecutive 

Still only 53% of the snaps. Beware 

I’m actually going to make a play for him, for depth, I could use a back up rb. 

And he’s about the best one left available in my league. 

13 hours ago, cavern said:

Still only 53% of the snaps. Beware 

The biggest difference was that Barber only got 14%.  Ogunbowale got 27%, but he's there for blocking purposes... because Jones isn't good at that.   It's the main reason why he hasn't been getting the playing time.  His pass blocking isn't very good, so when he's in, they need Ogunbowale in there to pick up the slack.  Prior to this past Sunday, Barber has getting 35%+ in most weeks.  The 14% this week was far lower than normal.  He had 2 games with around 25% which were his previous lows.

I know you guys like to rip Arians, and there's things to do that for, but Jones not playing that much isn't one of them.  He's a really bad pass blocker and misses a lot of assignments.  Tampa's OLine is literally one of the worst in the league and they need all the help they can get.  Barber is good at pass blocking, that's why he was getting the bulk of the playing time.  If Jones wanted more time, he should've made the assertive effort to be a better blocker.  His playing time is all on himself, not Arians.

7 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The biggest difference was that Barber only got 14%.  Ogunbowale got 27%, but he's there for blocking purposes... because Jones isn't good at that.   It's the main reason why he hasn't been getting the playing time.  His pass blocking isn't very good, so when he's in, they need Ogunbowale in there to pick up the slack.  Prior to this past Sunday, Barber has getting 35%+ in most weeks.  The 14% this week was far lower than normal.  He had 2 games with around 25% which were his previous lows.

I know you guys like to rip Arians, and there's things to do that for, but Jones not playing that much isn't one of them.  He's a really bad pass blocker and misses a lot of assignments.  Tampa's OLine is literally one of the worst in the league and they need all the help they can get.  Barber is good at pass blocking, that's why he was getting the bulk of the playing time.  If Jones wanted more time, he should've made the assertive effort to be a better blocker.  His playing time is all on himself, not Arians.

i'm not ripping anyone.  before jones truly becomes a reliable fantasy threat he needs to sort out the passing down stuff and simply get on the field more.  plenty of plays where a back lays a block and then becomes a dump off option.  he needs that.  until he is playing more than the 53% there will continue to be wide fluctuations in production.

it's definitely a step in the right direction that he's getting much more than barber

1 minute ago, cavern said:

i'm not ripping anyone.  before jones truly becomes a reliable fantasy threat he needs to sort out the passing down stuff and simply get on the field more.  plenty of plays where a back lays a block and then becomes a dump off option.  he needs that.  until he is playing more than the 53% there will continue to be wide fluctuations in production.

it's definitely a step in the right direction that he's getting much more than barber

Really, my first paragraph was to touch on the 53% comment you made and how that 53% isn't all that bad when you take into account that Barber got only 14%.  Jones will get more time if he can pass block, and that's not Arians' fault... which lead to my second paragraph which was just a general statement to all.

Darn I didn’t get, not low enough on the list. 

Good luck. 

Good move. M

I could have picked him up a few times, he’s been picked and then dropped over and over , so good move holding him. 

I added him, dropped him, and added him again, then started this thread and then held.  Finally he's the starter.  I think he's played better every week.

I was just offered Alexander Mattison for Ronald Jones.  This guy doesn't have a RB2 this week on his roster.  I'm competing with him to reach the playoffs, so I'm obviously not taking that offer.  he ignored my Curtis Samuel for Mattison offer last week, but I did get Rashaad Penny for Curtis Samuel from another owner.  I need Ronald Jones to cover a bye week 11 anyway.  I'm going to wait until waivers clear before I decline and I upped my blind bid amount for Matt Breida who someone dropped.