iam90sbaby

Rock is about to make a huge comeback

MGK was absolute trash from 2014ish until earlier this year and he recently announced he will be working on strictly rock material. Him, the and the growing popularity of the GBC There’s a good chance trap rap won’t be flooding the billboards anymore. 

He released a single earlier today. Little mainstream for me but better than anything you hear on the radio now. 

8 minutes ago, DonS said:

GBC??? 

It’s similar to grunge in the late 80s early 90s. Peep was the unofficial leader but he went the hip hop route and passed away. 93FEETOFSMOKE, guardin, Fats’e are leading the charge now. I think MGK saw a huge opportunity to jump on board. 

1 minute ago, DonS said:

Thanks for clarification. What does acronym actually stand for? 

Goth boi clique but when you hear that you are probably thinking Marilyn Manson or something, they are just modern punk rockers, a lot of them are huge fans of 90’s punk/alternative/rock and you can hear that influence pretty heavily in some of their stuff 

Will check it out with an open mind.  Will try and suppress the "get off my lawn" reflex. Hopefully no offense will be taken if I think it's sh1t, though I must honestly admit I'm feeling a bit prejudiced against any genre with "Boi" in the title....  

90s...  Tell me what one band/album best represents GBC and I'll check it out on Spotify. 

3 minutes ago, DonS said:

Will check it out with an open mind.  Will try and suppress the "get off my lawn" reflex. Hopefully no offense will be taken if I think it's sh1t, though I must honestly admit I'm feeling a bit prejudiced against any genre with "Boi" in the title....  

Finn has a pretty good analysis on the movement and it’s really interesting. Lil Lotus and guccihighwaters just got signed by Epitaph as well. (I don’t really like Lotus or gucci).

I don’t think you will add any of the music to your library, you might end up liking one or two. nothing.nowhere did an EP with Travis Barker a few months ago that might be a good starting point. But at the very least I think you’ll appreciate the movement and where “mainstream” music is heading. 

18 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

The Hu.

Wolf totem was a song released this year I like. 

Wtf 😂

21 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Finn has a pretty good analysis on the movement and it’s really interesting. Lil Lotus and guccihighwaters just got signed by Epitaph as well. (I don’t really like Lotus or gucci).

I don’t think you will add any of the music to your library, you might end up liking one or two. nothing.nowhere did an EP with Travis Barker a few months ago that might be a good starting point. But at the very least I think you’ll appreciate the movement and where “mainstream” music is heading. 

Thank you for sharing that.  That video was very well done and informative.  Not my cup o' tea, unfortunately, but that's why music is so great. You like what you like and that's fine by me if I dont feel the same way.

And here's this to cleanse my palate:

Watch to the end if you just want to see some tittays.

:cheers:

19 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Wtf 😂

When I was a skibum I liked listening to Rammstein on the slope's. 

This is the first band I have heard that comes close to a similar sound.

18 minutes ago, DonS said:

Thank you for sharing that.  That video was very well done and informative.  Not my cup o' tea, unfortunately, but that's why music is so great. You like what you like and that's fine by me if I dont feel the same way.

And here's this to cleanse my palate:

Watch to the end if you just want to see some tittays.

:cheers:

No doubt. I don’t like the GBC that leans hip hop but I do like 93, guardin and fats’e a lot and they are much more on the rock side.  I didn’t expect anyone to like it I just wanted to let everyone know you’ll probably be able to turn on the radio in 1-2 years without getting blown up with mumble rap. MGk has a lot of influence in the 30 and under crowd so is a good step in the right direction for mainstream music.  Hollywood will be much tougher. 

that music video creeps me out lol

8 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

No doubt. I don’t like the GBC that leans hip hop but I do like 93, guardin and fats’e a lot and they are much more on the rock side.  I didn’t expect anyone to like it I just wanted to let everyone know you’ll probably be able to turn on the radio in 1-2 years without getting blown up with mumble rap. MGk has a lot of influence in the 30 and under crowd so is a good step in the right direction for mainstream music.  Hollywood will be much tougher. 

that music video creeps me out lol

The important word in your posts is "mainstream".  To me mainstream has largely been complete and utter sh1t for pretty much forever.  Not a bad thing if that's what you like, but I could give a rat's ass what the teenagers and 20 somethings are spending daddy's money on nowadays.  My preferred music has never been "mainstream". 

Edit: once again not being confrontational. You like what you like. 

1 hour ago, DonS said:

Thanks for clarification.  

Uhhhh.... what?

BTW, this kind of exhange is why I frequent this place.  Politics gets so tiresome... 

1 hour ago, iam90sbaby said:

90’s punk

Uuuuhhh WHAT?

He a friend of your's? ;)

11 minutes ago, DonS said:

The important word in your posts is "mainstream".  To me mainstream has largely been complete and utter sh1t for pretty much forever.  Not a bad thing if that's what you like, but I could give a rat's ass what the teenagers and 20 somethings are spending daddy's money on nowadays.  My preferred music has never been "mainstream". 

Edit: once again not being confrontational. You like what you like. 

I don’t really like mainstream music either (most the stuff in my library has less than 5,000,000 total plays on Spotify) but what music is mainstream kind of affects  everything else was my point.  If the top 100 songs are 90% Garbo rap most movies, commercials etc... will be filled with it too. So this is a step in the right direction when I’m not trying to listen to music if that makes any sense. 

7 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Uuuuhhh WHAT?

He a friend of your's? ;)

I thought we were bro’s :(

2 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I thought we were bro’s :(

We are brother, we are.  :cheers:

I just don't know that there was any such genre as "90's punk".

But I'm an old curmudgeon. :angry:

• Like 1

This conversation sounds like it may be racist. Can I get a ruling?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

We are brother, we are.  :cheers:

I just don't know that there was any such genre as "90's punk".

But I'm an old curmudgeon. :angry:

Blink 182, 90’s Green Day, Offspring, is a good example of what someone my age would consider 90’s punk. Blink 182 is our Beatles 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

This conversation sounds like it may be racist. Can I get a ruling?

The video evidence provided by 90s appeared to be a mix of white and black dudes. Any conclusions on whether stated music is good or not is purely based on subjective merits of whether it is appealing to the individual. 

10 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Blink 182, 90’s Green Day, Offspring, is a good example of what someone my age would consider 90’s punk. Blink 182 is our Beatles 

Ok, gotcha. :thumbsup:

I'm a Dead Kennedys, Sex Pistols, Black Flag, and to a lesser extent Surf Punks... type of punk guy. 

I like those bands you mentioned above. In fact I have cd's from all of them except the Beatles. But they aren't what I would consider punk. However, you did say "90's punk" so I can see where that distinction makes sense. 

18 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Ok, gotcha. :thumbsup:

I'm a Dead Kennedys, Sex Pistols, Black Flag, and to a lesser extent Surf Punks... type of punk guy. 

I like those bands you mentioned above. In fact I have cd's from all of them except the Beatles. But they aren't what I would consider punk. However, you did say "90's punk" so I can see where that distinction makes sense. 

I love Black Flag.

Have you ever heard the Descendents I don’t want to grow up album? It’s one of my all time favorites 

2 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

MGK was absolute trash from 2014ish until earlier this year and he recently announced he will be working on strictly rock material. Him, the and the growing popularity of the GBC There’s a good chance trap rap won’t be flooding the billboards anymore. 

He released a single earlier today. Little mainstream for me but better than anything you hear on the radio now. 

I don’t hate it, but I’m not sure I would seek it out.  

Definitely better than the rap and wimpy crybaby pop I hear so much of now.  

If I hear one more song with a clap track, I’m gonna gouge my eardrums out with one of Bill E’s shark teef.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I love Black Flag.

Have you ever heard the Descendents I don’t want to grow up album? It’s one of my all time favorites 

Just listened to the first three tracks.

"I Don't Want To Grow Up", "Pervert" and "Rockstar".

That qualifies as punk in my opinion. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

good god. i weep for your generation :(

i thought this thread was a joke at first:(

15 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

I like the Offspring a lot, Green Day a little and Blink 182 not at all.  

Comparing most bands to the Beatles is tough, but I'm not seeing Blink in this conversation.   

That's like comparing the Ford Mustang to the Pontiac Solstice.  

59 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Comparing most bands to the Beatles is tough, but I'm not seeing Blink in this conversation.   

Not all mustangs are equal. They got pretty girlie there for a while. 

16 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

Blink 182 is our Beatles 

The worst generation.

15 minutes ago, MDC said:

The worst generation.

Boomers or Millenials? I vote Boomers. 

Rock went away? :dunno:

Not for me, for the last 40 years I've still been discovering great stuff that I missed in the 70's  :headbanger:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Not all mustangs are equal. They got pretty girlie there for a while. 

I should have clarified. I’m talking about the original ‘64 1/2.  

The Beatles hit the states in ‘64.

3 hours ago, porkbutt said:

good god. i weep for your generation :(

i thought this thread was a joke at first:(

I mean that’s what was popular when we were kids and it was our first exposure to the genre. I’m sure it’s all better than the trans rock that was popular when you were growing up. 

2 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Smash and Offsprings self title I really like. As far as blink goes, their mainstream stuff was garbo but Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch are both good really really good albums. I never really liked Green Day. 

• Like 1

I also think Rock is going to make a comeback in mainstream.  Not due to emo rap though..😂.  But certainly to each their own..and always appreciate champions of underground genres.  I have been listening to alot of "beach goth" type stuff..The Growlers, Allah Las, Vacations, Mac Demarco, Good Morning.  They're good but they won't change the landscape.  What will I think is all the young lady singer songwriters...Snail Mail, Alvvays, Soccer Mommy, Courtney Barnett.  I imagine there a lot of young ladies picking up guitars.