Herbivore

Favorite Song - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Favorite Song - CCR  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Creedence song?

• Born on a Bayou
    • Proud Mary
    • Bad Moon Rising
    • Lodi
    • Down on the Corner
    • Fortunate Son
    • Travelin Band
    • Up Around the Bend
    • Run Through the Jungle
    • Have You Ever Seen the Rain

you guys are old.

10 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I'm not a huge fan either.  Very simplistic songs musically, like a precursor to Tom Petty for whom I have the same opinion.

:o

I know music is subjective but Petty IMO opinion is one of the all time greats.

10 hours ago, vuduchile said:

John Fogerty was the only one with any actual talent.   I think he basically taught his brother and the drummer how to play their instruments and hold the groove. Maybe a CCR expert can weigh in here.    Nzoner?

Not a band that I know a lot about but your take seems legit.Personally I kept up with Fogerty's post CCR a bit.Of course everyone knows Centerfield etc. but a lot later on he was stiill putting out some great stuff,including a project of CCR hits performed with numerous modern bands.

Here's one of my favorites from 2007 and the lyrics IMO are so prevalent for today.

Here's Born on the Bayou with Kid Rock from the hits compilation with the other artists

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, nzoner said:

:o

I know music is subjective but Petty IMO opinion is one of the all time greats.

I merely said that I believe Tom Petty songs are simplistic musically.  Do you disagree?  :dunno:

Just now, jerryskids said:

I merely said that I believe Tom Petty songs are simplistic musically.  Do you disagree?  :dunno:

Well, first of all, "simplistic" is a vague term.  Secondly, are you saying all of his songs are simplistic?  I sincerely doubt you've heard more than 5% of his total catalog.  Lastly, he's inducted in to the songwriters hall of fame.  They seem to think his songs are "complex" enough to qualify.

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I was replying more to the "not a huge fan" but in answer to your question I think Strike said it best above.Also in his documentary Runnin' Down A Dream other artists applaud his genius in that he could write a great song in 10 minutes which to me would seem anything but simplistic.

2 hours ago, nzoner said:

Not a band that I know a lot about but your take seems legit.Personally I kept up with Fogerty's post CCR a bit.Of course everyone knows Centerfield etc. but a lot later on he was stiill putting out some great stuff,including a project of CCR hits performed with numerous modern bands.

Here's one of my favorites from 2007 and the lyrics IMO are so prevalent for today.

Nice.  I like it. 

• Like 1

Here's Born on the Bayou with Kid Rock from the hits compilation with the other artists

This one is great.  

3 hours ago, Strike said:

Well, first of all, "simplistic" is a vague term.  Secondly, are you saying all of his songs are simplistic?  I sincerely doubt you've heard more than 5% of his total catalog.  Lastly, he's inducted in to the songwriters hall of fame.  They seem to think his songs are "complex" enough to qualify.

I was replying more to the "not a huge fan" but in answer to your question I think Strike said it best above.Also in his documentary Runnin' Down A Dream other artists applaud his genius in that he could write a great song in 10 minutes which to me would seem anything but simplistic.

I would argue that "simplistic" is less vague than "great."  I would further argue that nzoner made my point -- his songs sound like they were written in 10 minutes.  Apparently they were?  Anyway, to me they are basically jingles, again from a musical perspective.

I have no idea how much of his catalog I know.  I know the songs posted so far and, I would guess, every popular song he has had.  If there is an obscure song which shows musical complexity, I'm open to it.  :music_guitarred:

Otherwise, that is why God made different music, and we can agree to disagree.  :cheers:

While I think Jerry is underrating Petty as a songwriter, I think I understand what he's trying to say.  Petty's songs are pretty straight forward, meat and potatoes rock songs. They aren't built around a crazy guitar riff  or anything particularly memorable as far as instrumentals. Petty's songs are "simple' enough for me to play on my acoustic guitar and not sound too far from the original. I can't do that with as Boston song or a Cars songs or a Talking Heads song or a ....you get the picture.   I think I'd put John Mellencamp in the same category.  Simple chord patterns, basic verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, chorus, fade structure.   But I could listen to Petty all day. Great lyricist as well. 

2 minutes ago, The Observer said:

While I think Jerry is underrating Petty as a songwriter, I think I understand what he's trying to say.  Petty's songs are pretty straight forward, meat and potatoes rock songs. They aren't built around a crazy guitar riff  or anything particularly memorable as far as instrumentals. Petty's songs are "simple' enough for me to play on my acoustic guitar and not sound too far from the original. I can't do that with as Boston song or a Cars songs or a Talking Heads song or a ....you get the picture.   I think I'd put John Mellencamp in the same category.  Simple chord patterns, basic verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, chorus, fade structure.   But I could listen to Petty all day. Great lyricist as well. 

This.  :thumbsup:

I've been specific to not comment on the lyrics.  

24 minutes ago, The Observer said:

Is there anything you can't do?  I bet you'd do this while fingerbanging your GF at a partially built housing site!!!!  You're so talented!

🤣

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

This.  :thumbsup:

I've been specific to not comment on the lyrics.  

Tom Petty's lead guitarist is considered one of the best guitar players of all time.  You don't hear his name mentioned that much because their songs are about the songs but most of them have solos that he is well known for, in addition to the .  But if you listen to the arrangements or talk to his producers, such as Jimmy Iovine, you'll find out how "complex" they actually are.  The Heartbreakers are one of the tightest bands in the history of rock with how they fit together and play as a unit.  Just because things are so seamless doesn't make them simple.  Have you watched the documentary referenced above "Running Down A Dream"?  

Regarding the note above about Petty writing songs in 10 minutes, that's not EVERY song, and it was a general comment about how good Petty's songwriting was.  But EVERY rock artist will tell you they've written songs in 10 minutes.  Some of the greatest songs of all time took very little time to write.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Strike said:

Is there anything you can't do?  I bet you'd do this while fingerbanging your GF at a partially built housing site!!!!  You're so talented!

🤣

I've already fingerbanged my girlfriend while playing Free Fallin' on my acoustic and tying a cherry stem into a knot with my tongue. . So, you might wanna step back

21 minutes ago, The Observer said:

I've already fingerbanged my girlfriend while playing Free Fallin'  Ballin on my acoustic and tying a cherry stem into a knot with my tongue. . So, you might wanna step back

A man in his 50’s that still uses the term fingerbang. Imagine Trump had said “I fingerbang them. They let you”. I may not have voted for him. 

Dave grohl is one of the fastest and most prolific songwriters. And nobody better say nothing about his capabilities.

9 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I would argue that "simplistic" is less vague than "great."  I would further argue that nzoner made my point -- his songs sound like they were written in 10 minutes.  Apparently they were?  Anyway, to me they are basically jingles, again from a musical perspective.

I have no idea how much of his catalog I know.  I know the songs posted so far and, I would guess, every popular song he has had.  If there is an obscure song which shows musical complexity, I'm open to it.  :music_guitarred:

Otherwise, that is why God made different music, and we can agree to disagree.  :cheers:

As a progressive rock fan like you I understand where you're coming from as Petty's songs are for the most part quick and to the point unlike say Anesthetize by Porcupine Tree at 18 minutes plus.The greatness of Petty IMO is a 40+ year career of hit after hit after hit and a B-side collection that's pretty great as well.

Like I started this whole conversation off with I know music is subjective.

Lastly if you haven't seen it I highly recommend as does @Strike watching Runnin' Down A Dream,just be prepared as it's almost four hours long but huge fan or not you'll love it.

9 hours ago, nzoner said:

As a progressive rock fan like you I understand where you're coming from as Petty's songs are for the most part quick and to the point unlike say Anesthetize by Porcupine Tree at 18 minutes plus.The greatness of Petty IMO is a 40+ year career of hit after hit after hit and a B-side collection that's pretty great as well.

Like I started this whole conversation off with I know music is subjective.

Lastly if you haven't seen it I highly recommend as does @Strike watching Runnin' Down A Dream,just be prepared as it's almost four hours long but huge fan or not you'll love it.

Let me make some peace here.  I enjoy Tom Petty songs.  I enjoy CCR songs.  I enjoy John Cougar Mellencamp whateverhisnameisthesedays songs which I think Newbie used as a comparison.  I'm not downloading any of them on Spotify, but if a song comes up, I'm not changing the station.

I went to college in the late 80s, and by and large disliked the music of that time.  I listened to classic rock, so much so that my fraternity brothers called it "jerryskids music" (but with my real last name).  One day a friend said to me, "just because it isn't musically complex doesn't mean you can't enjoy it."  And I had a bit of an epiphany.  I've come to enjoy a lot more music than I used to.  Particularly campy 80s music, which I actually will play on Spotify.  :cheers:

• Sad 1

I didn't realize we were at the point of needing to make peace but okay I accept :thumbsup: