kilroy69

Tipping for........nothing?

1 hour ago, Fireballer said:

Why is it that thing?

You don't tip for a meal you just had comp'd after eating half of it and asking for the rest to go because it wasn't cooked properly. Duh. 

4 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

I'm a big believer in tipping service people. They earn shite wages and tips help them immensely at the end of the day. 

That said, you ordered online, drove to the establishment, walked in and grabbed your food. Who are you tipping for what in that scenario? 

You think your order magically appeared on the counter, and was just waiting for your cheap azz to stroll in? The server had to put the order thru, get the condiments, forks, knives, napkins, etc. and pack it up in the bags for you to carry out. 

I leave a good tip for that kind of service. 

Just now, 5-Points said:

You don't tip for a meal you just had comp'd after eating half of it and asking for the rest to go. Duh. 

Or saying you didn't like it and wanting something free.

10 minutes ago, BiPolarBear said:

You think your order magically appeared on the counter, and was just waiting for your cheap azz to stroll in? The server had to put the order thru, get the condiments, forks, knives, napkins, etc. and pack it up in the bags for you to carry out. 

Uuhh.. the online ordering system put the order through. I have my own condiments and silverware. I'm taking this sh!t home, dummy. 

Yeah, I'm not going to tip you for standing behind the counter when I walk in you lazy piece of sh!t.

11 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Or saying you didn't like it and wanting something free.

Happens. All. The. Time. 

On 9/11/2020 at 3:25 AM, NorthernVike said:

I tip the tab.  You people are cheap.

There’s that word cheap again, it seems a lot of you are on a guilt trip. You don’t want to be perceived as cheap.

I tip servers, bartenders, cab driver and movers. The amount depends completely on the quality of service and attitude.

13 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

It's always been. Black people I worked with didn't want to wait on black people. They dominate your time and leave little or nothing. It's not all black folks, but most of them. 

The problem for me is too many times l feel like I am being rushed out, always when it is busy. The dining experience should be slow and enjoyable, conversation, after diner drink, etc. Most of the time we dine in. We enjoy cooking and it becomes part of the experience. 

On 9/10/2020 at 3:19 PM, Alias Detective said:

The tipping system is a way for the customer to pay the business owner’s employees’ income.  It’s an absolute scam.  Especially the buck for opening a bottle of beer crap.  

They would just raise the price of the food to make up for it. Either way you are probably paying the same

26 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

The problem for me is too many times l feel like I am being rushed out, always when it is busy. The dining experience should be slow and enjoyable, conversation, after diner drink, etc. Most of the time we dine in. We enjoy cooking and it becomes part of the experience. 

You obviously never worked as a server. I have dated a few. If a customer sits there forever thsts less money for the server. More tables equals more money.

Servers in a busy restaurant work hard. They are expected to move non stop from the moment they clock in. I have heard too many stories where I would have told a customer or a manager to go themselves. Screw dealing with people

27 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

You obviously never worked as a server. I have dated a few. If a customer sits there forever thsts less money for the server. More tables equals more money.

Servers in a busy restaurant work hard. They are expected to move non stop from the moment they clock in. I have heard too many stories where I would have told a customer or a manager to go themselves. Screw dealing with people

Yes I know that, that is why I choose to eat in most of the time or a time when it is not busy.  Dining out is not enjoyable for me, it is what it is. 

On 9/11/2020 at 5:28 PM, BiPolarBear said:

For an online order it goes right to the kitchen.  No forks, kives or napkins in the bag. Just 2 boxes of food. That IIIIIII grabbed from the counter. 

On 9/11/2020 at 2:28 PM, BiPolarBear said:

There’s that word cheap again, you tipping  bullies are pathetic. You act like it is an obligation. Get after management for being cheap. Change the rules if their pay bothers you so much but don’t attack me. I don’t care how much you tip why do you care how much I tip? 

Face it tipping big makes you feel good and superior and of course you don’t want to appear to be cheap.

On 9/10/2020 at 3:03 PM, kilroy69 said:

I do not mind tipping. I really do not. When I have a service provided to me that requires tipping I usually do 25-30 percent.  I have not went into a restaurant to eat since march but I have ordered out. When they bring it right to my car I tip them. The other day I ordered to go from outback and the site would not take my card. It allowed me to do a pay in store option so I put my mask on and went inside to grab the food and pay. 

I looked at the counter and picked out my own food based on my last name on the receipt.  

The guy takes my card and say would you like to include a tip?  

I said.....uhh no. 

He looks at me and lets out a HUGE long sigh and rolls his eyes. Then runs my card. 

Am I wrong here? What the fock was I supposed to tip him for? To come to work? To run my card? He literally did absolutely nothing that would not have already been done had the website working. Why should I tip him? 

Ya wanna tip? Get  focking real job assshole. Working as a server is cool in your 20s........notsomuch in your 40s. 

Normally I’d agree with you but these days restaurants either have no dine in option or limited seating. I haven’t done any carry out just ordered out so I’m tipping the delivery guy. But I’d tip in a carry out situation too. Maybe not the usual amount but something.

22 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

There’s that word cheap again, you tipping  bullies are pathetic. You act like it is an obligation. Get after management for being cheap. Change the rules if their pay bothers you so much but don’t attack me. I don’t care how much you tip why do you care how much I tip? 

Face it tipping big makes you feel good and superior.

Don't tip. But if you keep going back to a place and not tipping, you will get shlt coming your way and most likely without you even knowing it. 

There have been a couple people who have tried the higher wage and no tipping route, and it didn't work all that great. For one thing, who do you think is going to absorb paying higher wages? The customers. Plus, the servers won't have much care other than giving base level service. That"s fine when.you go to Denny's, but what about an expensive or even partially expensive night out? Couple bottles of decent wine, some high end food. And your waiter says, hey what would like? And you have expectations beyond the 15 bucks an hour wage they make? I would have never waited tables or bartended for that little. Too stressful of a job.

If you want to go out for decent dinners and want to be treated like when you go into McDonalds, go for it.

Don't tip. But if you keep going back to a place and not tipping, you will get shlt coming your way and most likely without you even knowing it. 

There have been a couple people who have tried the higher wage and no tipping route, and it didn't work all that great. For one thing, who do you think is going to absorb paying higher wages? The customers. Plus, the servers won't have much care other than giving base level service? That"s fine when.you go to Denny's, but what about an expensive or even partially night out? Couple bottles of decent wine, some high end food. And your waiter says, hey what would like? And you have expectations beyond the 15 bucks an hour wage they make?

If you want to go out for decent dinners and want to be treated like when you go into McDonalds, go for it.

I already stated when and why I tip and how often I am in tipping situations. Tipping big does not ensure you any of that unless you go to the same place all the time. We choose to dine in most of the time and enjoy the experience including the preparation, the wine of our choice, and conversion that isn’t rushed because they need the table.

I was just questioning your name calling because some people don’t tip enough to satisfy you.

I didn’t read thread. Last Tuesday we were having family night watching Isles/Flyers and decided to order from local bar down the block. 
4 orders of wings and plate of nachos. $64.00. Sent my son down to pick up and he (is a bartender) tipped $18.00 for pick up. 
It’s all good. 

1 hour ago, Baker Boy said:

I already stated when and why I tip and how often I am in tipping situations. Tipping big does not ensure you any of that unless you go to the same place all the time. We choose to dine in most of the time and enjoy the experience including the preparation, the wine of our choice, and conversion that isn’t rushed because they need the table.

I was just questioning your name calling because some people don’t tip enough to satisfy you.

Did I call someone a name? I don't remember. And I am not saying there can't be another way that works. I'm just saying in current culture, it's how it is. My GF has the opinion that it would be better that the waiters make a living wage and forget the tips. That's one way of looking at it. But my counter point would be what would inspire the waiters to push the specials and other things that help the restaurant to prosper? To up sell on certain items the waiter truly thinks would be a good fit for the customer's choice in food or wine takes some skill and a bit of work.

I don't know the answer. But in current day America, it's our system. Tips started out as tipping to ensure service which I imagine was kinda dumb way of doing things. But in the end it's more a cultural thing in this day and age. This is how this industry has worked for many many years and in my opinion, it's not so bad. But I reserve that opinion to the restaurant business only, other services are way more debatable or completely off the table in my opinion.

Did I call someone a name? I don't remember. And I am not saying there can't be another way that works. I'm just saying in current culture, it's how it is. My GF has the opinion that it would be better that the waiters make a living wage and forget the tips. That's one way of looking at it. But my counter point would be what would inspire the waiters to push the specials and other things that help the restaurant to prosper? To up sell on certain items the waiter truly thinks would be a good fit for the customer's choice in food or wine takes some skill and a bit of work.

I don't know the answer. But in current day America, it's our system. Tips started out as tipping to ensure service which I imagine was kinda dumb way of doing things. But in the end it's more a cultural thing in this day and age. This is how this industry has worked for many many years and in my opinion, it's not so bad. But I reserve that opinion to the restaurant business only, other services are way more debatable or completely off the table in my opinion.

Managers can create incentive via nightly, weekly, monthly contests.  Easy to check the POS for how many specials sold etc. But I wouldn't want to service levels drop.  the living wage works in Europe, and they mostly take pride in their job.  Careers as servers is low percentage here in the US.  They need to be in nicer restaurants where the tips are more substantial. 

On 9/11/2020 at 3:19 PM, peenie said:

I always tip, I over tip, even when I'm doing take out. I have to, to make up for the rest in my group that don't tip or don't tip properly.

They don’t tip in Europe. Somehow I ate out and got drunk when I was there. 

31 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Managers can create incentive via nightly, weekly, monthly contests.  Easy to check the POS for how many specials sold etc. But I wouldn't want to service levels drop.  the living wage works in Europe, and they mostly take pride in their job.  Careers as servers is low percentage here in the US.  They need to be in nicer restaurants where the tips are more substantial. 

I disagree to some point with this. I worked in every type of restaurant. Once in a breakfast and lunch place once and made a ton of money for my situation at the time. Probably pulling in about $80+ a day in tips and then whatever meager salary I got. And that was a good while back and great for my early twenties. In nicer places some were way better, and a couple were not as good. Remember, in some of the "nicer places" the service time goes way longer so less tables, and even at places that aren't fancy you have to tip out the bartender, the runner, and the busboy out of your tips. And they judge you on how you tip them.

I probably could have made a career out of waiting tables or bartending as I was really good at both, but dealing with the public day in and day out for a long time in that field would suck. 

55 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Another thing to add: taxes.

Do away with tipping, raise wages, raise prices. The additional wage means higher taxes paid by the business for Social Security, Medicare, unemployment, etc. High prices means higher corporate taxes. Both of which means higher menu prices to pay for those taxes. Higher menu prices also means the customer directly paying more in sales tax.

So doing away with tipping may be cleaner, but would be more expensive to the customer in the end.

Like most things, if your want to make something a career, you need to hone your craft and progress.  If someone can live off of tips from mid to lower tier restaurants...wonderful.  It is hard to imagine putting kids through college on those wages. As knowledge and skills increase, so should the tips. Remember, at the nicer places you "should" be able to double you ppca (per  person per check average), so you are less reliant on turning the tables..and longer times seated is to be expected and accounted for.

1 hour ago, Bier Meister said:

Like most things, if your want to make something a career, you need to hone your craft and progress.  If someone can live off of tips from mid to lower tier restaurants...wonderful.  It is hard to imagine putting kids through college on those wages. As knowledge and skills increase, so should the tips. Remember, at the nicer places you "should" be able to double you ppca (per  person per check average), so you are less reliant on turning the tables..and longer times seated is to be expected and accounted for.

Yeah. Expensive places, longer seating time, less tables to make money off of, so very very dependent on the few customers you get tipping well. Which they almost always did.

I have done fine dining. And non fine dining. You have more opportunity in non fine dining within a restaurant to pick up tables and work harder than others and feed off other's laziness at the beginning and especially at the end of shifts. 

If you are a bartender in a busy place, they always make the money in the right shifts. But it took me a while to get to that point back when I did it and even for the place I was in that was quick. Like 2 years waiting tables, and 1 in the service bar. And I had previous experience. But when I got to the main bar, I was making big money ($200+ a night) for slinging beers, cocktails, mai tais, and frozen drinks) and listening to the bands and fully in control of my work atmosphere. Having drinks on me if I wanted as I worked.

And fock off to anyone if you are a little bltch to me, get out. Next! 

The key to making money as a living in waitering, is not being emotional from shift to shift. Just work and when people want to go home, pick up their tables for them, etc... So many ways to capitalize.

16 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Yeah. Expensive places, longer seating time, less tables to make money off of, so very very dependent on the few customers you get tip well. 

Lets take a look at Le Central, a moderately priced french restaurant with entrees around $30. 

A couple comes in and gets an app ($13), a salad ($16), two entrees ($60), pommes frites ($7), harticots verts ($10), and a bottle of wine (lower tier french Bordeaux= $80)...too full for dessert

$177 before tax. Offer standard service for that level of restaurant= $35 without tax for a two top.

Now let's look at Gary Danko.

choice of a 3 course for $97, 4 for $120, 5 for $143..... add a bottle of wine for $100

two top is at $300 before tax...$60 tip.   

At the end of the night, servers at GD should be blowing away the servers at Le Central

only downside is that customers at Gary Danko are going to be more entitled