Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Alright... alrighty last one. Cash deals?

Along with the bathrooms we're looking at getting the roof done.

Two bids so far...

#1 Bid

Roof based on 39 squares. 
 Warranty includes a 10- year labor warranty and a 30- year, manufacturer warranty. 
Price = $12,519 + tax (7.70%)$964 = $13,483

#2  Bid

Guy said it's 44 squares.  Willing to do a cash price, but only warrantly would be the 2 yr shingle material.

Price =$12,000

I already know the frickin answer I think... get what you pay for obviously. But the cheapskate in me wants the $12k cash deal.

One more bid this next week.  There was another bid @ $19.5k too....

So for less than $1500 you get a 10 year labor warranty and 30 year materials warranty? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

So for less than $1500 you get a 10 year labor warranty and 30 year materials warranty? 

This.  And a guy who’s not trying to evade taxes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's crazy the amount they charge for labor.  120 bundles at what, $40 a bundle on the high end?  $9000 profit for a few days work.  Not bad.

Roofers must make more than waitresses.  

4 minutes ago, Strike said:

Ya... I know... I know...

How bad is the roof?  Can you wait?  I think material prices are extremely high right now because of Covid.

5 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

Ask each one if their crew is Mexican, and go with that one.

Dude.... it's thr PNW.... all crews are Mex.

Roofing is a pretty brutal business. I get you don't want to pay, but when the owner is working on the job as a hand and slaving away, he should also he living a little more well off than the rest of us, right?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fandandy said:

How bad is the roof?  Can you wait?  I think material prices are extremely high right now because of Covid.

Pretty bad....yiu csn see at least 2 patch jobs, seeinf shingkes bent back.  We were pretty sure we'd have to make an allowance when selling.  House was build in 1997... 

3 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Pretty baf.... we were pretty sure we'd have to make an allowance when selling.  House was build in 1997... 

You staying or selling?

Selling? Take the low bid.

Staying? Take the guy who can actually measure the correct amount of shingles and will be around to honor the warranty.

Go with the warranty one.  Less than 350 a square isn't terrible.   Also,  ask for a current certificate of insurance. 

43 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Ya... I know... I know...

Do you need to put a deposit down with the cash guy?  Know anyone else that’s used him?  Those cash deal guys are also usually more likely to take your deposit and disappear, or skip out on the job partway through, etc

26 minutes ago, Old School said:

You staying or selling?

Selling? Take the low bid.

Staying? Take the guy who can actually measure the correct amount of shingles and will be around to honor the warranty.

Staying... so ya.

40 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

Go with the warranty one.  Less than 350 a square isn't terrible.   Also,  ask for a current certificate of insurance. 

This ^

If a Messican or Brazilian falls off your roof, you need to make sure the contractor has insurance 

Go cheap. If your roof hasn't failed in 2 years, it won't in 10, and on the off chance it does, good luck trying to cash in.

You shouldn’t support unlicensed, uninsured, non-bonded, cash deal contractors by hiring them to work on your home.  

In doing so, you’re helping them to skip the permit and license process, violate ordinances, skirt OSHA requirements and evade taxes.  

Beyond that, you’re taking unnecessary risks.  Shoddy work, no warranty, etc.  Are the employees background checked?   Are they legally eligible to work in the U.S.?

If an employee gets injured on your property and his employer doesn’t have worker’s comp insurance, guess who gets to pay his med bills?  

Keep devaluing quality craftsmanship and legit contractors and we’ll eventually all be living in shantytown.   

You obviously have the money.  Don’t be a such a tightwad.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

You shouldn’t support unlicensed, uninsured, non-bonded, cash deal contractors by hiring them to work on your home.  

In doing so, you’re helping them to skip the permit and license process, violate ordinances, skirt OSHA requirements and evade taxes.  

Beyond that, you’re taking unnecessary risks.  Shoddy work, no warranty, etc.  Are the employees background checked?   Are they legally eligible to work in the U.S.?

If an employee gets injured on your property and his employer doesn’t have worker’s comp insurance, guess who gets to pay his med bills?  

Keep devaluing quality craftsmanship and legit contractors and we’ll eventually all be living in shantytown.   

Holeee Dad... we already know I was gonna do the right thing.  These are fun conversations.

10 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Holeee Dad... we already know I was gonna do the right thing.  These are fun conversations.

If we already knew that, why’d you ask?  As a legit home improvement biz owner who follows the laws and hires legal workers, this is a major thorn in my side. 

To be neighborly, I used to help folks who got ripped off by these clowns.  But no more.  

Now when they come to me wanting me to rescue their project, I tell them I can’t help them.   Consumers need to be better educated.  

12 hours ago, vuduchile said:

He never said the cash guy wasn't licensed. :dunno: