Sign in to follow this  
Virginia governor signs bill requiring five Virginia universities to help descendants of slaves...

https://wtop.com/virginia/2021/05/northam-signs-bill-requiring-5-virginia-universities-to-help-descendants-of-slaves/

A new state law will hold five Virginia universities accountable for historically profiting off the work of slaves.

The Enslaved Ancestors College Access Scholarship and Memorial Program, sponsored by Del. David Reid and signed into law by Gov. Ralph Northam on Wednesday, requires the five universities to create scholarships or community-based economic development programs to benefit the descendants of slaves by July of next year.

The schools are Longwood University, the University of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, the Virginia Military University and The College of William & Mary.

Under the new legislation, all five universities must work over the next year to identify and memorialize enslaved people whose labor each institution benefited from, and are barred from using state money or increases in tuition or fees to pay for the scholarships and community programs.

Northam signed the bill into law on Wednesday at the Memorial to Enslaved Laborers at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, calling it a “powerful” moment.

“For individuals or communities with a demonstrated historic connection to slavery, that will help break the cycle of poverty,” Northam said. “We must tell the full and complete story of our past so that we can move forward to a better future.”

:doh:

• Haha 1

These articles bum me out. A constant reminder that I will most likely never be able to have slaves of my own. :(

2 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

These articles bum me out. A constant reminder that I will most likely never be able to have slaves of my own. :(

For me, the current climate just shows me that we will never have the equality MLK dreamed of.  Certainly not in my lifetime.

10 minutes ago, Strike said:

For me, the current climate just shows me that we will never have the equality MLK dreamed of.  Certainly not in my lifetime.

Today's blacks hate MLK. 

16 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Today's blacks hate MLK. 

No doubt.

Virginia is dumber than NY now. No easy feat. 

Won't change a thing.

Northam is flat out owned by the militant left after they glossed over his blackface and allowed him to stay in office.

Fine by me. Since it's the south that did it, let them deal with it.  Michigan already paid in full  with 15K war dead.

5 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Fine by me. Since it's the south that did it, let them deal with it.  Michigan already paid in full  with 15K war dead.

Don't forget turning over Detroit. 

The Black vote will turn into a swing vote in 10-15 years.  Once that happens, all of this nonsense goes away.

So what, all black kids qualify... even if they're not true decedents of slaves, or do people have to prove they're descendants from slaves?  What happens if a white kid proves he's a descendant of a slave, does he still qualify... or will he be racially mistreated and not qualify?