Sign in to follow this  
TimHauck

Was Cooper Kupp the best fantasy draft value ever?

4th round pick for an all time great season.

If he isn’t, who was?  I guess there were probably some undrafted RB’s like maybe Priest Holmes or something that could have an argument.

I don't know that Kupp was even the best fantasy draft value THIS YEAR, let alone of all time.

You could get Deebo Samuel a couple of rounds later, if not more, and he put up not even one PPR point per game less than Kupp.

R Waters rookie season, I drafted him third to last pick  non ppr. He paid off big time. Was my fourth season in ff.  Winner. 

Played in a dynasty league in the early 2000’s, and the guy who already had Marshall Faulk picked up Kurt Warner off the WW.  As you can imagine, that guy had a pretty good run over the next few years.

For people in 2QB leagues, Mahomes was definitely a better value his 1st year starting.  I got him in the 14th round and he finished as the QB1 that year.  I mean, Kupp had a phenomenal year, but he was drafted as a high end WR2/low end WR1 and a top 4 round pick.  He wasn't a later round or WR3 - high upside guy.

11 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I don't know that Kupp was even the best fantasy draft value THIS YEAR, let alone of all time.

You could get Deebo Samuel a couple of rounds later, if not more, and he put up not even one PPR point per game less than Kupp.

I'm not sure this is true.  Just checked my PPR league and it shows Kupp as having 3.4 more PPG than Samuel.

1 hour ago, TimHauck said:

I'm not sure this is true.  Just checked my PPR league and it shows Kupp as having 3.4 more PPG than Samuel.

You are correct, I meant to say standard scoring.

In PPR it's a little more of a judgment call, but I still think people getting Deebo in the 7th or 8th probly got a better "draft value" than Kupp in the 4th.

Non ppr in 1989-90 Bobby Humphries. He has a great rookie season. And I picked him up very late.  

The answer is a resounding no. Kupp was a fantastic draft pick but there are countless examples of better values than him. Off the top of my head, I drafted James Conner a few years ago with my last pick in the 16th round. Lev Bell held out and boom top 5 RB in rd 16.

2 hours ago, Vikings4ever said:

99 Kurt Warner?

Kind of, but Trent Green din't get hurt until like a week or two before the season started, so Warner would only be a "draft value" in those leagues that drafted at the last minute (or if they drafted Warner to handcuff Green for some reason).  He was definitely a valuable waiver wire add for those who din't draft him.

John Taylor 1989. I drafted Humphries and later picked up Taylor who had done nothing going into the 89 season, non ppr ten tds steal. 

18 hours ago, AxeElf said:

well, I guess it depends on which standards you use.

he and Deebo are likley the two best values for sure.   as TE's go, I got Gronk very late in one draft I was in and thought that was great value too

comparing a WR to a RB or TE is tough.   but among WR's no doubt Deebo and Kupp are the top values in this last years draft.

as for best of all time, I'd have to go back and look.  in the end that doesnt matter to me one way or another.   the important thing is whoever drafted him was happy with the output. (If unhappy with his production I'd argue your expectations were not in line with reality)

either way, if someone wants  to go back and search past years, go for it,  but I dont care enough to do it myself.   I'll be interested to see if anyone does an analysis.

Conner this past season was a very good value 🧐

Can’t recall exactly what round I drafted him, and it wasn’t real late, but I think it was the third round, 1998 F Taylor, he was just amazing. 

Non ppr.  Winner. 

Another name to throw out: 2010 Arian Foster. His draft stock crept up closer to the season (FFCalculator lists it as 4.02 the week before the season), but he outscored everyone by 70 points (PPR).

My best value pick was probably Randy Moss his rookie year.  Seem to remember getting him in the 8th or 9th.  The “experts” figured it would take a year or two coming from a 1-AA and he would be the #3 in MN at least a year after Cris Carter & Jake Reed.  Didn’t take long for Carter to end up #2 and Reed to become a FF afterthought.

I traded for Antonio Brown after his first year in the league with a contract of only 1% of salary cap for 4 more years. Went to championship game 5 of 6 years straight at that time. That was the best value I ever had in fantasy football.

Guy in the same league has Jamarr Chase fairly cheap, not 1% cheap but like 6%, for 4 years starting last year. That's not bad. 

21 hours ago, makindollaz said:

My best value pick was probably Randy Moss his rookie year.  Seem to remember getting him in the 8th or 9th.  The “experts” figured it would take a year or two coming from a 1-AA and he would be the #3 in MN at least a year after Cris Carter & Jake Reed.  Didn’t take long for Carter to end up #2 and Reed to become a FF afterthought.

I had Moss his rookie year as well, and Brad Johnson. Got off to a great start, then Johnson went down. Traded Keyshawn Johnson for Randall Cunningham. With a team that already had Terrell Davis, the rest his history.  My first ship. 

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2022 at 9:51 PM, TimHauck said:

4th round pick for an all time great season.

If he isn’t, who was?  I guess there were probably some undrafted RB’s like maybe Priest Holmes or something that could have an argument.

I remember way back, before anyone really knew who Steve Smith was back in like 2003. This guy in our league, big Panthers fan he drafted Steve Smith in the final round, and when he did, he said, he's gonna win me the league! We all laughed at him. However, it's exactly what happened! He won the league and Steve Smith was a big part of the reason why.