EternalShinyAndChrome

Rodgers to Jets

Just now, Reality said:

Jets look to immediately improve, obviously, lotta of weapons in place. Short term fix but, could pay off huge.

As far as the Packers, is it a complete rebuild at this point, that offense is in pretty bad shape. How long until they are relevant again? Gonna be a while from the looks of it.

What if Love is good?  They will probably be semi relevant this year in the horrible NFC.  The WRs were rookies last year.  They do need to add at WR and TE.  But their line is one of the better ones.  

6 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

It was just an anecdote.   Im not saying the 1st round swap is a ton. Im saying what if that was the hang up? What are the Jets going to do? Say nah were good? Lol

Nope. We agree on this. If that actually was the hang up, I would hope the Jets would not balk at moving down 2 picks. 

Just now, WhiteWonder said:

Correct, June 1st saved the Packers money. But why should the Jets care, if, as you say, they were all in on this with no plan B and not willing to go in a different direction because of the fans? If they desperately need Rodgers they would pay him whatever. 

Its not about analyzing the trade through any kind of glasses. To me, it's very cut and dry. Both teams had leverage. Both teams were in a game of chicken and one team was going to blink. The Jets blinked. Its frustrating. We can agree to disagree on who had more leverage... im actually not even saying the Packers didn't have more leverage, Im saying the Jets had more than most will admit. 

Oh Jets had some if thr Packers were worried about the offseason programs with Rodgers around.   But what I am saying is you and other I think believe they cared more than they really did.  They didnt seem to be in any hurry if they were actually scared shitless.  

5 minutes ago, Reality said:

Jets look to immediately improve, obviously, lotta of weapons in place. Short term fix but, could pay off huge.

As far as the Packers, is it a complete rebuild at this point, that offense is in pretty bad shape. How long until they are relevant again? Gonna be a while from the looks of it.

Well, I'm old enough to remember the dark days of the 70's and 80's.  We have been spoiled with 30 years of TWO first ballot hall of fame, 3 time MVP QBs and perpetual playoffs (sadly, only TWO superbowls, though).  When has that EVER happened for ANY other team?  It wasn't going to last forever.

The Bears had like 40 starting QBs in the time span.

Are we going to act like when it was said a first round pick for AR it was with the jets first round pick outright in this years draft in mind, not swapping two spots and maybe getting a first next year? We doin that? 

2 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Head over to ProFootballTalk and read the comments on stories about this prior to today.  You'll find out very fast how wrong you are.

I live in the market. I hear all the sports talk shows. If you want to rely on PFT, be my guest :lol:

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Are we going to act like when it was said a first round pick for AR it was with the jets first round pick outright in this years draft in mind, not swapping two spots and maybe getting a first next year? We doin that? 

the 13th pick outright this year was initially wanted. that was quite a while ago. That had not been on the table for a while. 

I’m kind of surprised the Packers couldn’t squeeze an unprotected first out of the Jets. They basically got what the Eagles got for Wentz. 

Nope. We agree on this. If that actually was the hang up, I would hope the Jets would not balk at moving down 2 picks. 

I am saying GB could have said here is what is fair take it or not.   Jets finally took it after waiting it out themselves.  You can say dumb owner.  Maybe.  But couldn't you also say leverage got to a point? (The draft for the most part)

To me looks like Jets felt the heat not GB.  

I live in the market. I hear all the sports talk shows. If you want to rely on PFT, be my guest :lol:

I don’t listen to WFAN anymore. What were they saying? 

It coukd have been.  I said a 2nd and 1st.   All picks involved were never going to be same class.  That was obvious.   

Take the win if you want.  I said a 1st and 2nd.   

Just now, MDC said:

I’m kind of surprised the Packers couldn’t squeeze an unprotected first out of the Jets. They basically got what the Eagles got for Wentz. 

Little more difficult when there is literally 1 team in on trafing for him.   And he comes with a huge contract and no idea if hes playing beyond 1 year.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Dude - you think jet's fans only live in NY?  I'm telling you that other outlets and fans were absolutley saying the Jets had the leverage.  Just because they aren't in the NY market doesn't make them any less relevant. 

3 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Oh Jets had some if thr Packers were worried about the offseason programs with Rodgers around.   But what I am saying is you and other I think believe they cared more than they really did.  They didnt seem to be in any hurry if they were actually scared shitless.  

Never said they were scared shitless, I'm simply saying there is no way they ultimately wanted Rodgers on the team. If no trade gets done they are on the hook for his entire contract... which would be a big detriment for a rebuilding team. Then you add in the disgruntled franchise icon aspect. I can't imagine the Packers wanted that. 

Once again, i'm not saying the Packers didnt have more leverage... Im simply saying the Jets had more leverage than most were willing to admit. Even Jets fans themselves. 

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

Little more difficult when there is literally 1 team in on trafing for him.   And he comes with a huge contract and no idea if hes playing beyond 1 year.  

I guess so. Just seems like a weak return. On the other hand GB was clearly sick of his crap.

It coukd have been.  I said a 2nd and 1st.   All picks involved were never going to be same class.  That was obvious.   

Take the win if you want.  I said a 1st and 2nd.   

I don’t want the win. I actually like AR and now feel sorry for him. Lots of talent on the Jets but I think the HC is a meathead and Rodgers would be wise to do it his way. 

Never said they were scared shitless, I'm simply saying there is no way they ultimately wanted Rodgers on the team. If no trade gets done they are on the hook for his entire contract... which would be a big detriment for a rebuilding team. Then you add in the disgruntled franchise icon aspect. I can't imagine the Packers wanted that. 

Once again, i'm not saying the Packers didnt have more leverage... Im simply saying the Jets had more leverage than most were willing to admit. Even Jets fans themselves. 

They were already prepared to have him on the roster.  Sure, the maybe might not have WANTED that, but they were certainly prepared to do just that.

4 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I am saying GB could have said here is what is fair take it or not.   Jets finally took it after waiting it out themselves.  You can say dumb owner.  Maybe.  But couldn't you also say leverage got to a point? (The draft for the most part)

To me looks like Jets felt the heat not GB.  

Obviously. Based on this deal, the Jets (and our horrific owner) felt the heat. I'm not denying that. I am saying they shouldn't have. 

And this is not reactionary to blame a dumb owner. Woody Johnson has been a horrific owner for his entire time owning the Jets. 

Just now, MDC said:

I guess so. Just seems like a weak return. On the other hand GB was clearly sick of his crap.

I am elated with the return for a player who was never going to play for them again.  Love the 2nd this year as many of my favorite prospects are in rd 2.  Probably a 1st next year.  Then the 1st round swap doesn't seem much this year but it is worth a 4th rounder.  Jump 2 teams that were looking at tackle (I dont want a tackle but Packers may) or possibly jump NE and in better spot for JSN.  Sounds like a great deal fot a guy who was never going to start for them again and with only 1 team in on trading for him.  

• Like 1

Thats fine.  We can agree.  Packers would much rather not juggle that in training camp.  But I don't think they were as worried about it as much as it may seem on paper.  

3 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Dude - you jet's fans only live in NY?  I'm telling you that other outlets and fans were saying the Jets had the leverage.  Just because they aren't in the NY market doesn't make them any less relevant.

Obviously Jets fans don't only live in NY. Am I going to pay more attention to what the NY media, NY talking heads and area based Jets fans are saying? Obviously yes. Im not sure how it could even be a debate that local media would be more in tune. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I don’t want the win. I actually like AR and now feel sorry for him. Lots of talent on the Jets but I think the HC is a meathead and Rodgers would be wise to do it his way. 

I think the HC is good.  Stick to defense.  He had that defense playing well last season.   Rodgers gets to form the offense with his buddy Hackett.

Love me some Rodgers and thankful fot his years.  What I actually think happens in NY?  Hard to say.  He definitely will play with a chip on his shoulder which would be great for the Jets.   It gives them a chance.  Rodgers wasn't great last year but played with a cracked thumb.  Hard to say what hr will look like in NY because I think his attitude suddenly changes.   In all reality I think the Packers and Rodgers' relationship ran dry.  He is still bitter they drafted Love even though he got a long with Love.  But he never let that go.  And I sort of don't blame him.  

I think Rodgers would have sat some games last year if this was year 10.  But he wasn't going to give Love a sliver of an opening while he was there.   I think he stayed in out of spite.  They were way out of playoffs fot a bit only to find themselves in it at the end based on how bad thr NFC was.  I think under other circumstances he sits down for a stretch last year.  

2 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I am elated with the return for a player who was never going to play for them again.  

A statement like this reinforces why the Jets has a bit more leverage than people wanted to admit. As a Packer fan, you know he was never playing for them again. Clearly the Packers knew he was never playing for them again. the Jets knew he was never playing for them again. When all of this is known, your leverage goes down. Very similar to how teams will wait for a player to be cut instead of giving up anything in a trade (Derek Carr). 

If the Jets had the balls, they say "Do you want something for Rodgers or do you want nothing?" "We will give you a 2023 2nd and a 2024 2nd that becomes a 3rd if he doesn't pay X% of snaps"... "not good enough? Make a deal with the other interested party... or have him on your book for the next two years". 

I get it, you are going to say the Packers still had more leverage with the Jets not having a plan B or not wanting to pivot. I agree. they had more leverage. I just happen to think the Jets could have done a better job playing hardball. 

A statement like this reinforces why the Jets has a bit more leverage than people wanted to admit. As a Packer fan, you know he was never playing for them again. Clearly the Packers knew he was never playing for them again. the Jets knew he was never playing for them again. When all of this is known, your leverage goes down. Very similar to how teams will wait for a player to be cut instead of giving up anything in a trade (Derek Carr). 

If the Jets had the balls, they say "Do you want something for Rodgers or do you want nothing?" "We will give you a 2023 2nd and a 2024 2nd that becomes a 3rd if he doesn't pay X% of snaps"... "not good enough? Make a deal with the other interested party... or have him on your book for the next two years". 

I get it, you are going to say the Packers still had more leverage with the Jets not having a plan B or not wanting to pivot. I agree. they had more leverage. I just happen to think the Jets could have done a better job playing hardball. 

I see your point trust me. But like was said Packers had the QB they invested a 1st into.   The Jets had nothing.  Of course they wouldnt want him wandering around in ttaining camp and thr circus it would bring.  Maybe they had a plan or knew something we didn't? I firmly believe they would have taken this thing fot as long as it took.   They are a stubborn bunch.  

Just now, listen2me 23 said:

I see your point trust me. But like was said Packers had the QB they invested a 1st into.   The Jets had nothing.  Pf course they wouldnt want him wandering around in ttaining camp and thr circus it woild bring.  Maybe they had a plan or knew something we didn't? I firmly believe they would have taken this thing fot as long as it took.   They are a stubborn bunch.  

plus the contract. Thats a big hit to a rebuilding team. and you know damn well he would not have retired prior to 2024 in that scenario. 

plus the contract. Thats a big hit to a rebuilding team. and you know damn well he would not have retired prior to 2024 in that scenario. 

Packers still have to eat a bunch.  Not sure how much at this point.  He is going to restructure before he leaves GB.  

Packers still have to eat a bunch.  Not sure how much at this point.  He is going to restructure before he leaves GB.  

yeah but not nearly as much as if he was a Packer for the next two seasons. 

Whats done is done. I never wanted him in the first place... until all the other options were off the table. At this point, like I said, I am hoping the Jets find a way to get Hooker to sit 2 seasons behind Rodgers but I doubt that is even on their radar. More likely they are looking to use pick 15 and their other 2nd rounder to fortify the line, defense or even add another weapon for rodgers since they are "all in". 

I'm on board with the line help, I just think it's the perfect scenario to take a chance on a QB to sit and learn, where as the Jets have historically thrown their rookie QB's right into the fire with no success. 

yeah but not nearly as much as if he was a Packer for the next two seasons. 

Whats done is done. I never wanted him in the first place... until all the other options were off the table. At this point, like I said, I am hoping the Jets find a way to get Hooker to sit 2 seasons behind Rodgers but I doubt that is even on their radar. More likely they are looking to use pick 15 and their other 2nd rounder to fortify the line, defense or even add another weapon for rodgers since they are "all in". 

I'm on board with the line help, I just think it's the perfect scenario to take a chance on a QB to sit and learn, where as the Jets have historically thrown their rookie QB's right into the fire with no success. 

Hooker is definitely interesting.   But that offense was one of the wonkiest ones in the nation.  Hard to project it.  This is especially true for their speedster Hyatt.   

3 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Hooker is definitely interesting.   But that offense was one of the wonkiest ones in the nation.  Hard to project it.  This is especially true for their speedster Hyatt.   

The Jets have the young talent where their window should be more than the 2 years Rodgers will give you, max. That's why i'd like to see them end up with Hooker. I think he is the type who could keep that window open after getting healthy and learning for 2 seasons. 

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

This is why I am extremely pissed today as a Jets fan.

Isn't being a :mad: Jets fanevery day just part of the Jets-fan culture?

:dunno:

The Jets have the young talent where their window should be more than the 2 years Rodgers will give you, max. That's why i'd like to see them end up with Hooker. I think he is the type who could keep that window open after getting healthy and learning for 2 seasons. 

It does make some sense.   But it would be a Packers move.  Obviously they are hoping to catch vintage Rodgers with a chip on his shoulder and his buddy on the sidelines.  Hard to play the now and later.  Lets say he plays 2 years.   They dont have a 1st or 2nd next year.  I dont think hooker will be there with theit 2nd round pick this year.   So you spend multiple picks this year including a 2nd.  Then lost probably a 1st next year.  Gotta win now really.  The Hooker idea makes a ton of sense don't get me wrong.   But ya either go for it or don't.    

AFC is stacked. The NFC has lost Brady, Rodgers and Brees over the last two years. The NFC got Hurts and that’s about it.  

So keeping the AR/BF storyline open. What NY reporter is AR going to text a pic of his junk to ? 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

AFC is stacked. The NFC has lost Brady, Rodgers and Brees over the last two years. The NFC got Hurts and that’s about it.  

And he ain't gonna' last 2 years.

It does make some sense.   But it would be a Packers move.  Obviously thry are hoping to catch vintage Rodgers with a chip on his shoulder and his buddy on the sidelines.  Hard to play the now and later.  Lets say hr plays 2 years.   Thry dont have a 1st or 2nd next year.  I dont think hooker will be there with theit 2nd round pick this year.   So you spend multiple picks this year including a 2nd.  Then lost probably a 1st next year.  Gotta win now really.  The Hooker idea makes a ton of sense don't get me wrong.   But ya either go for it or don't.    

I don't think drafting Hooker (though I agree I have a feeling he will be gone unless they can trade up) means you are not going for it with Rodgers. And you certainly don't worry that Rodgers will feel jilted the way he did when the Packers drafted Love. He knows hes only playing 2 years max. 

If Hooker was there at pick 43, you pass on him for what? Fortify the defense? a receiver in a weaker receiver class? I mean, thats probably how the Jets are thinking, I am just hoping they are open to the idea of Hooker if he is there because again, this team has enough young talent that the window to compete should be more than 2 seasons. 

They also got Love!

21 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

This is going to end up being disastrous 

For the jets, it will because doesn't give a fock about playing. He's in the paycheck cashing mode. He has zero fire.

• Like 1

They also got Love!

And Geno Smith and Carr