Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**Round Eleven-Sixteen Commentary**

Goff was the guy I was hoping you all wouldn't snag. Love him as a QB2 this season. 

3 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

Goff was the guy I was hoping you all wouldn't snag. Love him as a QB2 this season. 

I considered him at my last pick, ultimately dediced to go Rodgers....

53 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

Interesting 2 of you were thinking Goff. I was just pleased I DIDN’T have to take him. I believe that with Payton, that Wilson is going to excel in 2023. We know what Goff is, and I believe Wilson has better WRs to throw to. Oh well…. guess we’ll see.

1 hour ago, Fumbleweed said:

love him too but he shares a bye with Lawrence. 

Picket was the other QB that I was looking at, Shovel. I just liked Carr's weapons a lot more that Picket's.

ICEMAN

56 minutes ago, ICEMAN said:

Picket was the other QB that I was looking at, Shovel. I just liked Carr's weapons a lot more that Picket's.

ICEMAN

To be honest, not sure how I feel about him. Wanted Rogers a couple rounds ago but he has the same bye as Burrow. Goff was next but he got snagged. 

Anybody have contact information on Matt besides his email?

Moore's got a lot of talent, and has good buzz coming out. If Watson can return to form, he's a good candidate to break out.

30 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

Moore's got a lot of talent, and has good buzz coming out. If Watson can return to form, he's a good candidate to break out.

Great pick here. I would have taken him here,and possibly sooner! What value V4E

Wanted Stafford. Settled for Love just to be done with the position with one of the few remaining options I feel good will be starting weekly. 

Juwan Johnson I am high on this season. 

7 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Wanted Stafford. Settled for Love just to be done with the position with one of the few remaining options I feel good will be starting weekly. 

Juwan Johnson I am high on this season. 

I wanted Johnson, but misjudged. I thought he'd fall to my next turn. 

2 hours ago, Fumbleweed said:

Anybody have contact information on Matt besides his email?

Need to contact him again.

Yup. Just that you said you were busy and wanted to be respectful of your time. Work is more important than this is my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Matts Eagles said:

Don’t we get 2 hours to pick?

We do. I think Robb was just trying to look out for you by keeping you informed. When I e-mail or text someone, it is not my intention to bother, but to be helpful. 

7 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

We do. I think Robb was just trying to look out for you by keeping you informed. When I e-mail or text someone, it is not my intention to bother, but to be helpful. 

Same here. Just wanting to be kind and respectful, never intrusive.

Fumble sniped.the player right before me, had his name typed in! Would have made a great stack with Wilson as his QB.

now, I’ll try the best Rookie TE. He should have a few games where he scores double digit points and he has Allen as his QB. I had another TE I thought of, but same bye as Njoku.

Maybe Kincaid is Allen’s Kelce to Mahomes!

Chase Claypool is a bit of an enigma this year, with questions all over the place.  But his numbers at the end of the year suggest that he's got potential.  And here's the kicker.  Justin Fields is being drafted as the #7 QB (ish).  Moore gets the publicity, but Claypool - once he's on the field, has a big upside.  I'll take it as a #5.

Nice pick, Fumble.  I would have picked Warren next if he was there.

The QB run caught me off guard and I hated to be at the back end of it, but I felt like there was a drop off coming and was OK with Stafford there.

8 hours ago, Dan said:

Chase Claypool is a bit of an enigma this year, with questions all over the place.  But his numbers at the end of the year suggest that he's got potential.  And here's the kicker.  Justin Fields is being drafted as the #7 QB (ish).  Moore gets the publicity, but Claypool - once he's on the field, has a big upside.  I'll take it as a #5.

I don't trust that passing offense to produce enough for the 3 WR's there, of which I think Claypool will be 3rd in the pecking order... possibly 4th if we count Kmet. But I do agree, he has the big upside, which plays nice in a best ball. 

10 hours ago, worm said:

Nice pick, Fumble.  I would have picked Warren next if he was there.

The QB run caught me off guard and I hated to be at the back end of it, but I felt like there was a drop off coming and was OK with Stafford there.

+1  He would have been my pick at the next spot, so I had to go with plan B

4 hours ago, Matts Eagles said:

Busy morning for me, I emailed Kirk my next round list.

Guess you were able to make the pick after all. Just came in from mowing and was about to make it for you. Let me know if you need any help with 14.04.

Hate picking a guy with 2 knee surgeries on a crap passing team, but OBJ is worth the risk at this point. If he has a few monster games great. If he falls off a cliff…go Bengals. 

I hope Irv smith can finally realize his potential this year. He will definitely be a frequent TE2 target of mine in real drafts with his upside in the bengals offense.

I was hoping Van Jefferson would make it back to me. He had good chemistry with Stafford in 2021 if I’m remembering correctly and he now has a clear path to the WR2 role. 

I normally like getting a high end QB2... things didn't fall that way this draft. I think Young is the most likely QB left to start and end the season (and has at least SOME weapons on offense).

10 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

I normally like getting a high end QB2... things didn't fall that way this draft. I think Young is the most likely QB left to start and end the season (and has at least SOME weapons on offense).

Not sure I remember a year with so many teams having QB question marks heading into camp. 

Sent Hawkeye an e-mail about his picks. If he hasn’t responded in half an hour, I will reach out to Mike concerning what to do. 

Probably not going to have 11 TDs again this year, but then again... TE is a crapshoot, might as well chance one who is given regular opportunities to score.

My Self Analysis

Maybe this belongs in Fumble's analysis thread. Might move it there... but as this draft wraps up and I am left needing only my DST and Kicker, I figured it was as good a time as any to analyze what I did from the 10th spot. 

QB: Trevor Lawrence, Jordan Love
RB: Nick Chubb, Josh Jacobs, Alexander Mattison, Joe Mixon
WR: Tyler Lockett, Kadarius Toney, Michael Thomas, Allen Lazard, Van Jefferson, Romeo Doubs
TE: George Kittle, Juwan Johnson

Possibly an unpopular opinion / hot take but Nick Chubb is my #1 overall in standard scoring formats. I was elated to get him 10th. With less competition for touches on a team I still expect to run quite a bit but be a better offense as a whole, I'm all in. 

If i'm being honest, I probably would have made a different selection at 2.3, had I known the quality of RB available to me in rounds 3 and 4. It was tough to pass on Garrett Wilson and CeeDee Lamb at the time but I talked myself into RB under the initial assumption that i'd be happier with the receivers in rounds 3 and 4. Then we actually got to 3.10 and I was proven wrong. There was WR talent that I like (Metcalf, Allen, Jeudy) but Mattison and Mixon were too good to pass up. I was back and forth on both at 3.10, so having Mixon fall to 4.03 meant I was going to be in for a unique draft :lol:

Rounds 5 and 6 presented me with another interesting decision. I knew I would be losing out on some receivers I liked (McLaurin, Godwin, Kirk) but at that point, it seemed like much better value to grab a TE and QB who I feel can be top 2 and top 5 respectively at their positions this season. Kittle is not without risk and I am likely higher on Lawrence than most but I think addressing these positions at this point in the draft made my overall roster stronger with much higher upside.

...which brings us to the forgotten WR's. My WR group last year wound up being absolutely awful, even with Garrett Wilson picked late. While this group won't turn any heads, it certainly can't produce any worse than my 2022 bunch. I expect Lockett to have 1 more season of a relatively high floor, despite the addition of JSN. Toney has tremendous upside. Thomas was great in his whopping 3 games last season and gets a QB upgrade. Lazard should benefit from familiarity with Rodgers and defensive attention toward Wilson. Jefferson looks to be the #2 for Stafford and Doubs, from reports, seems to be clicking with Love. That is the good but there are certainly risks with each and every one and that helped play into my decision to go with a 4/6 split at RB/WR rather than a 5/5.

I love Johnson as a 2nd TE. I think Carr can help him take the next step. I don't LOVE Love as a QB2... basically a rookie with learning experience and some decent weapons on offense. 

Overall, I like the team despite the unique approach. As mentioned, If I had a mulligan it would have been pick 2.3. Chubb, Mattison and Mixon would have been a perfectly great trio at RB and Wilson or Lamb would have made for a much more palatable WR core. 

Shovel just called me and he said he would make his selection within the hour. He is driving so can’t right now. Thanks everyone.

3 hours ago, robb said:

Shovel just called me and he said he would make his selection within the hour. He is driving so can’t right now. Thanks everyone.

Very unexpected afternoon. My daughter called out of the blue from Navy boot camp. She just passed her final Battle Stations drill so she's officially a sailor now..not a recruit.  You could hear the weight lifted off her...back to the same old Bailey. 5 min after the call ends...work emergency. So sorry everyone for the wait. 

14 hours ago, shovelheadt said:

Very unexpected afternoon. My daughter called out of the blue from Navy boot camp. She just passed her final Battle Stations drill so she's officially a sailor now..not a recruit.  You could hear the weight lifted off her...back to the same old Bailey. 5 min after the call ends...work emergency. So sorry everyone for the wait. 

Congrats!

• Like 1