Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Dan Campbell Loves Him Some Jahmyr Gibbs

Will they run him until he pukes? Gibbs has a lot of splinters in his arse, he’s been on the bench.  I’m not sure he can handle much off a load based on what his coach said, they need him , but the coach would like to say will be careful with him at the same time.  Not buying.  

Gibbs’ playing time did ramp up significantly each week until he missed the last two with a hamstring so this doesn’t feel like smoke to me. The fear though is he’s reinjured going into a heavy carry game off of a hamstring injury. 

As I thought going into the season, the Lions are a good team and Super Bowl contender. You don’t draft RBs in the first round not to use them in that scenario so it makes sense they’d want to ramp him up second half of the season.

I’ll wait and see.  He’s no longer the value to me that he once was, but that can change 

I understand the concerns, but Detroit knows how good Gibbs is or they wouldn't have made the investment.

Expect a big second half of the season for the anointed rook stud.

Been trying to trade for him but no one is selling.

19 hours ago, weepaws said:

Will they run him until he pukes? Gibbs has a lot of splinters in his arse, he’s been on the bench.  I’m not sure he can handle much off a load based on what his coach said, they need him , but the coach would like to say will be careful with him at the same time.  Not buying.  

Montgomery is out, so is one of the back ups, and Gibbs is the only RB on the roster without an injury designation.

So either he's gonna get the ball or they're gonna pass every play

Baltimore is 2nd in passing yards allowed this year at 163 yards a game and 9th against the run. That being said they played CJ stroud in his first game, Joe burrow hurt, The browns who started Dorian thompson robinson and the Titans who lost Tannahill in game. I think the lions win by 10. 

If he wants to be successful, he needs to channel some Lions royalty and change his first name to Barry.

• Haha 1

I changed my lineup on my .5 ppr leagues , I moved Gibbs into my slot position.  Sounds like Reynolds is going to be very limited, so I’m going to flex Gibbs and see if he can live up to adp.  I would have traded him, but there where no takers.  Are trade deadline is week five.  

So I hope I’m making the right decision.  

Reynolds did get in limited practice on Thursday and Friday.  

The key is that they need to use some sense when running him. The only Lions back to have any success running up the gut this year is Montgomery (and usually because he drags three defenders four yards or so), but they have been persistent at times trying to run Reynolds and Gibbs the same way, which always leads to no gain/one yard.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ZeroTolerance said:

The key is that they need to use some sense when running him. The only Lions back to have any success running up the gut this year is Montgomery (and usually because he drags three defenders four yards or so), but they have been persistent at times trying to run Reynolds and Gibbs the same way, which always leads to no gain/one yard.

They just need to accept his is not an up the gut runner and do sweeps to him. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, show me the murray said:

Gibbs’ playing time did ramp up significantly each week until he missed the last two with a hamstring so this doesn’t feel like smoke to me. The fear though is he’s reinjured going into a heavy carry game off of a hamstring injury.

As I thought going into the season, the Lions are a good team and Super Bowl contender. You don’t draft RBs in the first round not to use them in that scenario so it makes sense they’d want to ramp him up second half of the season.

Good post. 

Totally agree with the bolded

18 hours ago, weepaws said:

I’ll wait and see.  He’s no longer the value to me that he once was, but that can change 

This is true.  
Would you start him or J Warren this week, tho.  1 pt ppr. 
I'm thinking I have to go with Gibbs, right? Kind of a toss up.

7 hours ago, ZeroTolerance said:

Also very true. 

4 hours ago, SUXBNME said:

This is true.  
Would you start him or J Warren this week, tho.  1 pt ppr. 
I'm thinking I have to go with Gibbs, right? Kind of a toss up.

Gibbs.   Good luck 

Thank you Mr Gibbs.  

3 hours ago, Super Cubs said:

very nice but what happens when Montgomery comes back? 

I think he will get 8 to 10 Carrie’s a game and 90% of all the receiver work. 

5 hours ago, Super Cubs said:

very nice but what happens when Montgomery comes back? 

Gibbs goes back to the bench.  

This is a good time to shop Gibbs, if I was still able to trade I would , are trade deadline is week 5.  But once Montgomery comes back Gibbs barley a flex play, yea he’s going back to the bench, I have bette4 options.  But if you can start trade, I would shop.  

48 minutes ago, weepaws said:

This is a good time to shop Gibbs, if I was still able to trade I would , are trade deadline is week 5.  But once Montgomery comes back Gibbs barley a flex play, yea he’s going back to the bench, I have bette4 options.  But if you can start trade, I would shop.  

I don’t agree with this. 

This is the third time (in 5 games) Gibbs has averaged over 5 YPC. Montgomery has managed it just once, in a blowout against the worst team in the league. Gibbs is a faaaaaar superior pass catcher. 

Once they feel Gibbs is fully integrated into the offense (pass pro etc), I think it’s a 50/50 split if not more in favour of Gibbs and Monty goes more to the Jamaal Williams role of last year. Why wouldn’t you use the far more explosive, talented back? 

Monty will still have a role, and will cap Gibbs’ upside, but Gibbs will be much more than a flex. 

1 hour ago, show me the murray said:

I don’t agree with this. 

This is the third time (in 5 games) Gibbs has averaged over 5 YPC. Montgomery has managed it just once, in a blowout against the worst team in the league. Gibbs is a faaaaaar superior pass catcher. 

Once they feel Gibbs is fully integrated into the offense (pass pro etc), I think it’s a 50/50 split if not more in favour of Gibbs and Monty goes more to the Jamaal Williams role of last year. Why wouldn’t you use the far more explosive, talented back? 

Monty will still have a role, and will cap Gibbs’ upside, but Gibbs will be much more than a flex. 

I would shop him after that big game.  

On 10/23/2023 at 11:53 PM, weepaws said:

I would shop him after that big game.  

It depends what you can get for him. If you can get a stud then sure, otherwise I think I’d hold on to the upside. But it’s going to be tough trading him after a monster game week 8 with him on bye in week 9.

Always sale high, I wouldn’t take anything less. 

Another thing that hasn’t been mentioned is this: if everyone is convinced Montgomery is the guy, is no one concerned that through 8 weeks he’ll have missed 3 games through injury? It stands to reason the Lions would want to split both players’ loads to keep them both fresh. Clearly giving Monty 30 carries doesn’t work however efficient he may be. Could be a frustrating split going forward but I just don’t think they keep up the Monty bell-cow idea when he’s already been injured twice. 

1 hour ago, show me the murray said:

Another thing that hasn’t been mentioned is this: if everyone is convinced Montgomery is the guy, is no one concerned that through 8 weeks he’ll have missed 3 games through injury? It stands to reason the Lions would want to split both players’ loads to keep them both fresh. Clearly giving Monty 30 carries doesn’t work however efficient he may be. Could be a frustrating split going forward but I just don’t think they keep up the Monty bell-cow idea when he’s already been injured twice. 

Maybe if you say it three times, while clicking your heels, it will actually happen...

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, jrokh said:

Maybe if you say it three times, while clicking your heels, it will actually happen...

Or maybe if he has a better night rushing than Montgomery has managed in 2+ years it will… 

Both of them were very good today.