Sign in to follow this  
Gepetto

New office employee rants about working 9 to 5

18 minutes ago, jonnyutah said:

This video is stupid. She is stupid. All the people coming to her defense are stupid. 

Thank you, that means alot.

But what about Governor Sanders’ child laborers?

They're not even old enough to commute!

They should get a 32hr work week, at least.

So nothing....

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

Another great argument for the 32hr work week! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, seafoam1 said:

How so? Do you think stress comes from work only and not from being out of shape, having a bad home life, making stupid personal decisions like using drugs/alcohol, etc?

You seriously think having a full time  job is the reason for people not managing their lives well? Instead of it being a personal problem? 

You dopes really think this?

You need to find some better friends. 

?

I worked with men that lived on the ass end of Long Island and had to commute to the south Bronx everyday and pay a toll each way.  GFY.  

The local stip club probably would only ask for a few shifts a week and then she could also get her aerobic exercise and meet guys.  Alternatively she could become an independant contractor and could walk the streets on her own schedule with no boss whatsoever.

4 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

I contract. Have been doing it on and off for years. It is good way to make money. If you work on a contract you typically get a premium that you are not going to get as an employee. She may be better off going that way. 

The problem with contracting for her is that she is the daughter with Type 1 diabetes, so (good) medical benefits are very important for her.  She is on our medical for now but obviously that isn't forever.

That being said, her job is in the technical design side of fashion, specifically 3D patternmaking.  This is the way the industry is heading, and as she says, the older less techie folks can't do it.  Once she establishes herself, if she wanted, I'm confident she could put up her own shingle and contract out, working remotely and living wherever she wants.  Also that same SW/skill set is used in furniture design and other areas.  

I imagine the medical benefits could be worked out, but for now it is an unknown because I haven't researched the options.

It will be good for her to have options, in case she finds that she hates living in Manhattan.  :cheers:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

I think part of finding a job is about location. If you are new in a field and are trying to establish yourself, pay your dues. Move closer or suck it up. You haven't earned anything yet. Once you establish yourself as a leader, a technical guru, a stellar salesman, etc...then you can demand the "cater to me" approach. Until then, screw it.

I am a person of convenience.  In fact, that may be my epitaph. 

When I moved to Phoenix I started on a rotation program that took me to three different facilities in the area - I triangulated the center and looked there for an apartment.

When my then girlfriend (now wife) was looking to buy a house, she found the same model as she liked for like $10K less, but it was 30 minutes away.  I basically told her she wouldn't see me very much if she chose the far away one.

When I started traveling for my job, we moved to a place that is 15 minutes from the airport, even in rush hour.

When I park at a sporting event, I don't care how far I need to walk, my only concern is how easy/quick is it to get out and get past traffic.  

Also I mostly telecommuted since about 2000, when I wasn't traveling to/visiting customers of course.

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

Thank you, that means alot.

Well you didn't really come to her defense.

"She needs to move or find a new job though"

So I think you have a get out of stupid card to use here. 

40 minutes ago, jonnyutah said:

Well you didn't really come to her defense.

"She needs to move or find a new job though"

So I think you have a get out of stupid card to use here. 

You wouldn't be okay working a 32 hour week?

Sheee-it, I've told my bosses I'd be happy working 4-12's for that extra day off (I'm salary). No dice.

23 minutes ago, Fnord said:

You wouldn't be okay working a 32 hour week?

Sheee-it, I've told my bosses I'd be happy working 4-12's for that extra day off (I'm salary). No dice.

I Used to despise my commute. So I found a new job. 

Now I live 6 minutes from work and I like my job. 

Playing debbils advocate:

If you were to step back and look at even the last 50 years or less, 

How can effectively the same work require the exact amount of labor hours per week after we've gone through  the most impactful digital and technological revolution ever? 

Reminds me of all the idiots who swore we'd be paperless.   How'd that work?

Seems to me we filled up the hours because that's the norm. - The way you pay your dues. But if we have all these great tools, why are we still working at least as many if not far more hours than before?

I was right at the cusp of the revolution. When I arrived, keyboards were literally sitting on top of the monitors for our desktops. Nobody knew how to use them. Fast forward 3 years? The bosses were still having us come in on Saturdays during busy season. Not that Lotus and WordPerfect hadn't made a huge impact,  But that's how ' they' did it when they were earning their offices by god!

Might be something to her thoughts after all.