Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore troubadour

Mass Shootings Maine

1 hour ago, Dizkneelande said:

It’s straight from the Maine Active Shooter bulletin d!pshit. Maine has “yellow flag” law. Were there not enough “yellow flags” about this guy to ban him from owning firearms in your opinion? So who failed here?

Honest question:  do those laws force the guns they already own to be taken away or do they just restrict future purchases?

2 hours ago, TimHauck said:

How are you defining “mass shooting” here?

Whenever there are like 5+ deaths it almost always seems to be an AR-15 or similar.

But I agree better red flag laws and such would probably be more effective than banning certain guns.

Guns used in mass shootings in the U.S. 1982-2023

Published by Statista Research Department, Oct 6, 2023
Handguns are the most common weapon type used in mass shootings in the United States, with a total of 165 different handguns being used in 115 incidents between 1982 and August 2023. These figures are calculated from a total of 147 reported cases over this period, meaning handguns are involved in about 78 percent of mass shootings.

The involvement of semi-automatic rifles in mass shootings

Owing to their use in several high-profile mass shootings, there has been much public discussion over suitability or necessity of assault weapons for the purpose of self-defense. While any definition of assault weapon is contentious, semi-automatic rifles are generally the main focus of debates around this issue. Since 1982, there has been a known total 63 mass shootings involving rifles, mostly semi-automatics. This figure is underreported though, as it excludes the multiple semi-automatic (and fully automatic) rifles used in the 2017 Las Vegas Strip massacre – the worst mass shooting in U.S. history, killing 58 and wounding 546. In fact, semi-automatic rifles were featured in four of the five deadliest mass shootings, being used in the Orlando nightclub massacre, Sandy Hook Elementary massacre and Texas First Baptist Church massacre.

And despite public perception, more mass shootings (where four or more victims are killed) are carried out with handguns as opposed to long guns, according to Garrett.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/type-gun-us-homicides-ar-15/story?id=78689504

How many sources you want?   For anyone who chooses to educate themself on this topic, this is common knowledge. 

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

How many sources you want?   For anyone who chooses to educate themself on this topic, this is common knowledge. 

In fact, semi-automatic rifles were featured in four of the five deadliest mass shootings, being used in the Orlando nightclub massacre, Sandy Hook Elementary massacre and Texas First Baptist Church massacre.

we're probably gonna get to 5 of 6 once this maniac is done.

but no, people gotta have their semi auto rifles!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

In fact, semi-automatic rifles were featured in four of the five deadliest mass shootings, being used in the Orlando nightclub massacre, Sandy Hook Elementary massacre and Texas First Baptist Church massacre.

we're probably gonna get to 5 of 6 once this maniac is done.

but no, people gotta have their semi auto rifles!

LOL dude who can't define what he wants to ban wants to ban sh*t.   I want to post a laughing emoji but this is a serious incident and topic so I'm going to refrain.  And I'm going to refrain from discussing topics with the racist until the racist can define the terms to be discussed. 

2 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

Stop lying, tree of sh1t.  First you said he was gay, now a Democrat, but dude was full on Maga.  He's one of you.

https://heavy.com/news/robert-card-x-twitter-politics/?fbclid=IwAR3nGSFXWo9gYl_T-P6-U24M7LXNMxCgp6sKGA1gD5ipuQFQy8Ojad5Z4G8

Guys a dipshit, proudly displaying as he does a northern pike so damn small as to be little more than muskie bait.  That is not a fish to be proud of, it is a fish that gets routinely thrown back.  Oh, and of course the whole insane killing spree thing.

7 minutes ago, Strike said:

I wasn't questioning the data, just asking how "mass shooting" is defined.  The first link defines it since 2013 as 3 or more fatalities (4 or more before 2013), so is likely heavily weighted towards the low end.  Also dates back to 1982 when the prevalence of AR-15's and similar in mass shootings seems to be more recent.  And the data doesn't even include the Las Vegas shooting.

Further proving my point, the second link talks only about "homicides," not mass shootings.

8 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

Not really. And this is a pretty disgusting post. I disagree with many gun rights supporters, but contemplating their deaths as “ironic”? Pretty sick. 

Jeesh, don't go overboard. I said it was sad.

It's like Palestinians voting Hamas to power, and then unexpected consequences. "We need Hamas to keep us safe! Oops."  That's not ironic?  Sad, but ironic.

:dunno:

The guys that dont know the definition of mass shooting or assault rifle want to have a gun control debate?  Sorry, you're automatically disqualified. 

2 hours ago, 5-Points said:

The Clinton ban had zero measurable effect on gun crimes. Which is why it was allowed to sunset. Had there been this massive reduction in the illegal use of firearms that some people like to claim, they would've made it permanent. They didn't. 

I suspect the subsequent uptick in mass shootings has another driving factor. It isn't the guns, we've always had those. Something is different today than it was a few decades ago. It is that 'something' that needs to be addressed. 

Yeah, something has changed the last 30 years.  can't get a handle on it at all.

For my uses I have, but do not need a semiautomatic rifle.  When I hunt my bolt action rifles and my lever action rifle are more than adequate.  I have no need for my semiautomatic and have never used it for anything other than target shooting.  I do find my semiautomatic shotgun helpful as when hunting waterfowl I often have the opportunity to shot multiple birds in a single flight.  Sure my pump action allows me to shoot fairly fast, but not as accurately as my semiauto.  As for my handguns not having to (o(k a double action allows more shots on target in a shorter amount of time, a handy feature, potentially.

Myself, I am wary of those who like the looks of an AR 15.  Sure it is a very capable platform, but those capabilities are not generally directly applicable to hunting, other than of persons.  Some tell me it is a good home defense weapon.  Me, i would prefer my bullpup shotgun or one of my pistols in a home defense scenario.  Still, to each their own.  As for those who don't like it, properly amend the constitution.  Don't try to ignore it, amend it if you can.

13 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

I wasn't questioning the data, just asking how "mass shooting" is defined.  The first link defines it since 2013 as 3 or more fatalities (4 or more before 2013), so is likely heavily weighted towards the low end.  Also dates back to 1982 when the prevalence of AR-15's and similar in mass shootings seems to be more recent.  And the data doesn't even include the Las Vegas shooting.

Further proving my point, the second link talks only about "homicides," not mass shootings.

Oh, so just like questioning the CDC/FDA, now OFFICIAL statistics aren't good enough for you!!!  FFS dude, unlike you I posted reputable sources.  You'd think people could agree on basic statistics.  But here we are.  Holy crap.   :wall:

5 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

For my uses I have, but do not need a semiautomatic rifle.  When I hunt my bolt action rifles and my lever action rifle are more than adequate.  I have no need for my semiautomatic and have never used it for anything other than target shooting.  I do find my semiautomatic shotgun helpful as when hunting waterfowl I often have the opportunity to shot multiple birds in a single flight.  Sure my pump action allows me to shoot fairly fast, but not as accurately as my semiauto.  As for my handguns not having to (o(k a double action allows more shots on target in a shorter amount of time, a handy feature, potentially.

Myself, I am wary of those who like the looks of an AR 15.  Sure it is a very capable platform, but those capabilities are not generally directly applicable to hunting, other than of persons.  Some tell me it is a good home defense weapon.  Me, i would prefer my bullpup shotgun or one of my pistols in a home defense scenario.  Still, to each their own.  As for those who don't like it, properly amend the constitution.  Don't try to ignore it, amend it if you can.

Appreciate the honesty here, and the common sense approach.  It's rare on this board.

Regarding the 2A, it doesn't need to be amended in order to make certain types of guns/mags/attachments illegal, as we've done it before.

Just now, GutterBoy said:

Appreciate the honesty here, and the common sense approach.  It's rare on this board.

Regarding the 2A, it doesn't need to be amended in order to make certain types of guns/mags/attachments illegal, as we've done it before.

If you want to be educated on this topic, you might want to review the SCOTUS ruling in Bruen, which is a recent case and will make it much more difficult to enact gun laws willy nilly.

8 hours ago, RogerDodger said:

They dont know where this guy is.  The helicopter was circling around a farm for over and hour then left and is now just zig zagging over all the nearby towns.  

One foking helicopter. Where is all the high tech federal equipment? Oh yeah, we loaned it all out to Ukraine. 

You guys are hilarious 😂

It’s not like there are federal swat teams sitting around in every corner of the country, ready to go on a moment’s notice.

You watch too many movies and they’re not realistic. Man it’s hilarious how you guys have to constantly relearn lessons we teach to our children 

13 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

And those efforts have been turned back by the Court.  This country needs an honest discussion and resolution of the issue and thus direction to the Court which can only conclusively be had by a constitutional amendment.  As long as the current amendment is open to interpretation and reinterpretation the issue will live.

18 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

The guys that dont know the definition of mass shooting or assault rifle want to have a gun control debate?  Sorry, you're automatically disqualified. 

As are people using multiple usernames

5 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

You guys are hilarious 😂

It’s not like there are federal swat teams sitting around in every corner of the country, ready to go on a moment’s notice.

You watch too many movies and they’re not realistic. Man it’s hilarious how you guys have to constantly relearn lessons we teach to our children 

Well we’ve already invoked January 6th, Ukraine and trannies somehow in relation to this crime.  The trifecta 

4 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

And those efforts have been turned back by the Court.  This country needs an honest discussion and resolution of the issue and thus direction to the /court which can only conclusively be had by a cobnstitutional amendment.  As long as the current amendment is open to interpretation and reinterpretation the issue will live.

Well with a balanced rational SC, we are fine.  This one is just destroying everything.

We've ignored this issue for years, it's just something we have to deal with in America.

I'm glad I live in a state with strict gun control 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

This is the guy that tried to give a financial literacy lesson saying that the average and the mean are different.

1 minute ago, TimHauck said:

Well we’ve already invoked January 6th, Ukraine and trannies somehow in relation to this crime.  The trifecta 

My favorite was blaming it on PTO Meetings, whatever the fock that means.

The current illegitimate fascist regime installed by a stolen election has pointed out they are not afraid to use F-16’s on their opposition.  There are currently 100’s of political prisoners in our country awaiting due process.  The regime is trying to jail the spiritual leader of our nation.  The invasion on the southern border from foreign forces is filling our country with bad hombres and terrorists looking for violence.  Our inner cities have become lawless dens of savagery.  

Now let’s take away everyone’s ability to protect themselves, their families and their property because of some jet skiing and possibly LGBTQ+ certified psycho that SHOULD have been off the streets.  

Sad!

Here’s another little gem for you guys, that I learned in middle school:

Just because you saw it on the internet (aka twitter, TikTok or Facebook), doesn’t mean it’s true.

🤣

2 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Well with a balanced rational SC, we are fine.  This one is just destroying everything.

We've ignored this issue for years, it's just something we have to deal with in America.

I'm glad I live in a state with strict gun control 

Your balanced and rational Court is another's out of control activist Court.  We have gone down your road and found it bumpy and finally washed out.  We need a new road, one which can only be traveled by an unequiocal amendment.  Of course I recognize that one man's unequivocal is fodder for another's deliberate misinterrpretation, but I think it can be done.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Strike said:

Oh, so just like questioning the CDC/FDA, now OFFICIAL statistics aren't good enough for you!!!  FFS dude, unlike you I posted reputable sources.  You'd think people could agree on basic statistics.  But here we are.  Holy crap.   :wall:

Well for one you only posted one source that was actually relevant.

And like with Covid, I guess you are incapable of understanding nuance here as well.   For example, it is also worth noting that the charts depicted “number of incidents,” not number of deaths.   Shorten the timeframe to less than 40 years, change the metric to number of deaths and include the Las Vegas shooting and I’d bet the numbers look a lot different.

15 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

This is the guy that tried to give a financial literacy lesson saying that the average and the mean are different.

Wait, the average and the mean are the same? Is that new? 

I’m all for common sense gun laws but they mean nothing if they aren’t enforced.  This guy was not lawfully supposed to have a weapon.  He was suffering from schizophrenia, recently been in a mental hospital.  :dunno:

14 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Well for one you only posted one source that was actually relevant.

And like with Covid, I guess you are incapable of understanding nuance here as well.   For example, it is also worth noting that the charts depicted “number of incidents,” not number of deaths.   Shorten the timeframe to less than 40 years, change the metric to number of deaths and include the Las Vegas shooting and I’d bet the numbers look a lot different.

I cited two sources.  Both were relevant and supported my assertion. 

44 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Semi-auto shotgun with 00 buck is the best home defense weapon in my judgement.  12 pea size shots should get the job done and perfect accuracy isn’t always needed.

33 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Why not?

But guns!

27 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

You're a good guy Gutter.  You're the most down-to-earth person I know.  :lol:

Threatened to shoot up a Nation Guard Base.  Actually shot up a bar and a bowling alley.  I can't think of anything more UN-American.  Most likely one of those free Palestine freaks.

25 minutes ago, Strike said:

I cited two sources.  Both were relevant and supported my assertion. 

The second was irrelevant to mass shootings, it only talked about homicides.

Edit:  Actually I take that back.  Most of it was just about homicides but I just read further and noticed this tidbit, supporting what I said earlier:

Although handguns are involved in most shooting deaths, the use of semi-automatic rifles is climbing, said Louis Klarevas, a research professor at Teachers College, Columbia University who specializes in gun violence and safety. In the 1980s, less than 20% of gun massacres (which he counts as six or more victims killed) involved assault weapons, according to a report he issued as an expert witness in a California court case over banning assault weapons.

In the last three years, 67% of gun massacres with six or more deaths were with assault weapons, Klarevas' 2020 report said.

And before anyone says "wHaT's An AsSaUlT wEaPoN?!!?!," I'm just quoting from Strike's "reputable source"

1 hour ago, TimHauck said:

Social media?

Mebbe. I'm sure that is part of it. I didn't mean to suggest it is a singular factor. 

As a society we are using a lot more pharmaceuticals than we used to. I'm sure that plays a roll as well. 

We've always had access to guns yet mass shootings are a fairly new phenomenon. So it has to be something other than the guns. 

14 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

Threatened to shoot up a Nation Guard Base.  Actually shot up a bar and a bowling alley.  I can't think of anything more UN-American.  Most likely one of those free Palestine freaks.

Alright let me check my board, "Blame Palestine".  Got it, thanks.

OK Carry on.