The Football Guru

Week 16 All-Out Blitz (2023) ...

As has become an annual tradition for me, I would like to use my final three columns of the season to answer your start/sit questions for the fantasy playoffs. Please ask them below or tweet me @DougOrth. Dynasty questions are also fair game.

All I ask is that you include anything that would help me sway my decision one way or the other, especially if there is an unusual scoring setup.

I will assume that you are OK with your question(s) being featured in the column(s) unless you say otherwise.

Full PPR

I have Jonathan Taylor (@ Atlanta) & Devin Singletary (home against the Browns) rostered. 

Scenario A: Taylor is back for week 16, & Zack Moss is out. Would you consider Singletary over Taylor ? My guess would be a strong no.

Scenario B: Both Moss & Taylor are active. Singletary or Taylor ?  

Both teams @ 8-6 

If the playoffs started today, the Colts would be in, & the Texans out. (both have something to play for)

Thanks

12 team league,1 PPR, standard scoring.

I am desperate for a starting WR #3, I lost Dell and Kirk 2 weeks ago, and this late in the season, the waiver wire was bare. I would also like your opinion on who to start at TE.

That being said, I am starting (in bold):

1 -QB/Mahomes vs LV or Love @ Carolina

2 - RB/Kamara @ LAR, Gibbs @ Minn

3 - WR Jefferson/Minn vs Det and DJ Moore/Chi vs Ari

1 TE - Schultz vs Cle or Kraft @ Car or Okonkwo vs Sea?

1 Flex -  RB/Montgomery @ Minn or Chase Brown @ Pitt

1 K -Aubrey @ Mia

1 Def - Phil vs NYG or Chi vs Ari

My choices for my 3rd WR are (pick 1)

D. Douglas/NE @ Denver

Demarcus Robinson/LAR vs NO

Parker Washington/Jax @ TB

Shakir/Buff @ LAC

I have a possibility of picking up1 of these FA WR's, but have no BB bucks, so I would have to wait for waivers to clear (this is the best of the rest on the WW):

Agnew Jax @ TB.    

Montgomery Ind

T.Palmer TB vs Jax

D Parker/NE @ Denver

So, which long shot do I start as my 3rd WR?

And who is my starting TE this week?

Also, if you think I should change a starter at one of my other positions, please let me know. This is the 2nd round of the playoffs. 

Thanks in advance, happy holidays!

10 team, PPR, Longball bonus, big bonus at 100/300 yd

Feature away, and thanks in advance!

I'm starting J Jefferson and CeeDee in my 2 WR spots. However, my 3rd WR/Flex is a bit puzzling this week. All these guys play on Thursday night as well, Saints at Rams.

Puka Nacua, Cooper Kupp, or Chris Olave, which one should I start?

I have been starting Puka over Cooper, but Kupp looks like he's back to his old self.

12-team, Full PPR

Unsure at QB: I'm going with Fields at home vs. ARI.  I also have Murray at CHI.  Murray went off for 4 (!) TDs vs. CHI, previously.  I'm worried about ARI WR1 M. Brown's health.

Unsure at RB:  Currently going with D. Foreman vs. ARI, J. McKinnon vs. LVR .. and Saquon vs. PHI.  I'm debating sitting Saquon for J. Ford.  Saquon historically struggles in PHI.  I'm also sitting ATL RB B-Rob - can't trust the Head Coach!

Let me know what you think.  Oh: instead of playing 3 RBs, I could also FLEX: JAX WR C. Ridley (not reliable), NE WR D. Douglas (pass game not reliable), BUF TE D. Kinkaid (Knox stealing looks), or CHI TE C. Kmet (I like BAL's I. Likely as my TE).

Keep riding the Brock Lobster Train, with a tough matchup vs Baltimore or chase the ceiling of Justin Fields vs Zona? TIA

Superflex, yes it has come this: qb2

Easton Stick or Mason Rudolph?

And yet my team is in the semis.

Return yds count. Pick one McLaurin, Meyers, Shaheed or Parker Washington.

Doug owe you a thank you for the David Montgomery advice in your AOB to start the season.

Full ppr. 

K Williams Vs Ravens. 

Kamara Vs Rams. 

J Gibbs Vs Vikings. 

Conner Vs Bears. 

Hubbard Vs Packers. 

I need three of those Rbs, the top three are the three I’m currently going with, but I like the matchups that both Conner and Hubbard have.  

I appreciate any insight, thank you Guru.  

4 hours ago, DrG said:

Superflex, yes it has come this: qb2

Easton Stick or Mason Rudolph?

And yet my team is in the semis.

Return yds count. Pick one McLaurin, Meyers, Shaheed or Parker Washington.

Doug owe you a thank you for the David Montgomery advice in your AOB to start the season.

I will not go chapter and verse on your decision at QB. I have no faith in Pittsburgh's ability to air out it (after Diontae, and even that makes me queasy).

I think my decision would come down to Meyers vs. Shaheed at WR. I am still not betting on any non-elite WR (as much as I love McLaurin, his QB situation keeps him from getting there) vs. the Jets. Parker Washington will only be a consideration for me if Lawrence plays, and the odds of him passing through concussion protocol in less than a week are slim. The Raiders generally avoided L'Jarius Sneed (who mostly shadowed Davante) in key situations in the first meeting. I don't know how well prioritizing Meyers again will work. It seems to me as though KC adjusted fairly quickly.

Depending on how your league scores return yardage, I think the safest play is probably Shaheed. While he has a low floor, he gets a bit of help from the 40 or so yards he should get in the return game. And Shaheed's ceiling is super high in just about every game.

• Like 1

A big thank you to each of you for submitting questions. It makes writing a late-season column easy and allows me to provide what I believe is pertinent advice.

Happy Holidays!

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bimmer said:

need 1 DEF ... Kc vs Lv or Cle @ HOU ...GB, Hou, CIn also available... thanks

My lean would be toward Cleveland, especially if Stroud is ruled out. Houston has allowed at least four sacks in five straight. The Browns should be able to make a few plays on the ball with Keenum that it might not make with Stroud. If Stroud plays, I would probably go with KC.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

Still alive in #SFB13! Need one of these WRs...

Noah Brown vs. CLE
Adam Thielen vs GB

I say this with almost no confidence, but Brown would probably be the way I go. Virtually no TD upside with Thielen. There is at least a bit with Brown in a tough matchup.

51 minutes ago, The Football Guru said:

I say this with almost no confidence, but Brown would probably be the way I go. Virtually no TD upside with Thielen. There is at least a bit with Brown in a tough matchup.

Yeah, that's my lean too. I almost pulled the trigger on Brown last week but didn't. Even if Nico goes, I'll go Brown. 

6 hours ago, taco breath said:

I can't buy Singletary in a bad matchup or Doubs. So I am pretty sure I would roll with Olave, Swift and Hopkins. With that said, Swift vs. Singletary is close.

• Like 1

Thank you Guru.  Merry Christmas. 

• Like 1

thanks, how about?

taysom hill or

daulton schultz?

Who is the best bet to score a TD:

C. Otton v JAC

M. Gallup @ MIA

T. Burks v SEA

T. Allgeier v IND

And if he plays would H. Henry @ DEN be a better bet than any of the above?

On 12/18/2023 at 7:33 PM, easilyscan said:

Scenario A: Taylor is back for week 16, & Zack Moss is out. Would you consider Singletary over Taylor ? My guess would be a strong no.

Scenario B: Both Moss & Taylor are active. Singletary or Taylor ? 

Thank You.

Doug thanks for the insights.

David Montgomery or Tyson Chandler? I lean Chandler if Mattison is a no go or limited

Doug .. Shakir or kj Osborn this week ?

On 12/21/2023 at 6:07 PM, gcmmidwest said:

Doug .. Shakir or kj Osborn this week ?

It's that bad?

Osborn for me. Better chance Osborn goes deep. I have been real disappointed in Buffalo's reluctance to increase Shakir's role after what he did during Knox's absence.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 4:59 PM, DrG said:

Doug thanks for the insights.

David Montgomery or Tyson Chandler? I lean Chandler if Mattison is a no go or limited

This sets up as more of a Monty game (vs. Gibbs). The hard part about going Chandler is Detroit is the second-toughest matchup for RBs this year. Alim McNeill being on IR helps his cause though. I think I would go Monty, but I don't have a strong lean either way.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 2:41 PM, Showboat said:

Who is the best bet to score a TD:

C. Otton v JAC

M. Gallup @ MIA

T. Burks v SEA

T. Allgeier v IND

And if he plays would H. Henry @ DEN be a better bet than any of the above?

I would go Henry over everyone above, but we have no idea how healthy he is right now.

19 hours ago, The Football Guru said:

I would go Henry over everyone above, but we have no idea how healthy he is right now.

Thanks - that's kind of how I was leaning but didn't want to commit to Henry only to see him inactive in the night game.  Now that he has been declared out, I guess I'll try for the next man up (Otton) and hope for the best.