Sign in to follow this  
Cdub100

Youtube is destroying your CPU

Basically, if you're using some sort of ad blocker YouTube is burning your CPU up. I noticed my computer moving much slower and youtube being almost unusable the past couple of days.

Is this for certain Youtube's doing? Or is it a result of the Ad-Blocker program itself? How would one know?

3 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

Is this for certain Youtube's doing? Or is it a result of the Ad-Blocker program itself? How would one know?

You can test your ad blocker on other sites. I get a large CPU spike upwards of 10% when I open youtube. Other streaming sites don't have the spike.

This is recent BTW the past week I started to notice it with this weekend being really bad.

• Thanks 1

You seem particularly whiny today.

You'd think the Yoopers would be happy after the Lions win.

• Haha 1

I have 128GB of RAM in my build now so no issue. I also never used ad blockers, I actually get recommended decent stuff sometimes that I end up buying 🤷‍♂️

28 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I have 128GB of RAM in my build now so no issue. I also never used ad blockers, I actually get recommended decent stuff sometimes that I end up buying 🤷‍♂️

what is some of that "recommended decent stuff" that you use?

30 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Think I started using Brave because of you.  Do you still use Brave? 🤔

39 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Same.  Had to build a new computer after 10 years because the old machine wouldn't decode H265 video containers now default from the newest GoPro cameras.

I hope @Cdub100 isn't surfing around youtube like a teenager, but, if you need to watch a video on there just download it with yt-dlp so you don't have to put up with their nonsense.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

I get a lot of tech/gaming ads, I'll click and buy from time to time. Pretty sure last thing I bought from an ad was my mouse pad 

57 minutes ago, Mookz said:

I don't but I don't have a problem with it, just got lazy and never installed it on my new phone

this sounds like deep state sh1t. take the tinfoil hat off bruh

19 hours ago, Mookz said:

I still use brave as my main browser.

1 hour ago, Cdub100 said:

Nice. :thumbsup:

I use it on my phone and as one of the browsers on my laptop (for some reason I use different browsers for different things).

23 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Fleshlight, I’m guessing

4 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

Did you ever try duck duck go?I like the feel of it a little better than Brave

I saw this topic on Reddit, but ... I haven't noticed any problems. And I Youtube a lot, with AdBlock Plus.

About three months ago for the first time ever I got the message "You must disable your ad blocker to watch"... no way to get beyond that message. So I disabled my AdBlock.  Then a few days later, I enabled it again and it worked fine... for about a week or so. Then I got message again. So I disable, and a few days later, I enable and it works fine.  Obviously there's a cat and mouse game going on between Youtube and AdBlock.

Regardless, my AdBlock is working now and when I click on a Youtube link... yeah, my CPU goes up 15% for a mili-second... then back down to 2-5% and stays there. So it isn't "destroying my cpu". Then again, I have a fairly decent cpu (Ryzen 7 3800x).  Also don't experience any buffering issues - videos are always smooth.

:dunno: