Sign in to follow this  
IGotWorms

Luxury SUVs

Looking to get a new luxury suv, one that looks good and sophisticated.

I’d really love a Range Rover but couldn’t possibly bring myself to spend six figures on a car. Although maybe I’d check out the Velar model. Porsche etc out as well. 

Looking at Alfa Romeo Tonale, or maybe an Audi (q7 or q5). Might have to check out the x5 but I don’t really see myself as a BMW guy. Interested in Mercedes as well but not really seeing a model I like — possibly the GLC Coupe?

Anyway, curious what other Geeks might recommend.

Why the fock does it have to be a "luxury" SUV?  Decide what features you want and get the best vehicle that has those features.  You sound like my old boss.  Like me he liked sports cars.  After I got my S2000 at some point he decided he wanted a roadster.  He narrowed it down to the S2000 and a BMW Z3.  He ended up buying the Z3 because it was a BMW, not because of its capabilities and features.  Within 6 months he was telling me he should have bought the S2000.

I have a 4runner.  Love it.  But I wanted a real SUV, not one built on a car chassis. 

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

Why the fock does it have to be a "luxury" SUV?  Decide what features you want and get the best vehicle that has those features.  You sound like my old boss.  Like me he liked sports cars.  After I got my S2000 at some point he decided he wanted a roadster.  He narrowed it down to the S2000 and a BMW Z3.  He ended up buying the Z3 because it was a BMW, not because of its capabilities and features.  Within 6 months he was telling me he should have bought the S2000.

I have a 4runner.  Love it.  But I wanted a real SUV, not one built on a car chassis. 

I'm looking at 1-2 year old 4Runners right now. Probably aiming at the SR5 Premium trim.

8 minutes ago, Strike said:

They typically have more comfortable interiors and much better soundproofing to cut down on road noise. Also, ghey as it may be, my fake job does require maintaining a certain image of success, I know that sounds d0uchey but it’s also true 

3 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

They typically have more comfortable interiors and much better soundproofing to cut down on road noise. Also, ghey as it may be, my fake job does require maintaining a certain image of success, I know that sounds d0uchey but it’s also true 

BS.  First of all, I'd have to believe you are what you say you are, which I don't.  Second, I have told you that I know a number of actually successful lawyers and none of them feels compelled to drive certain vehicles to maintain an image. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Strike said:

BS.  First of all, I'd have to believe you are what you say you are, which I don't.  Second, I have told you that I know a number of actually successful lawyers and none of them feels compelled to drive certain vehicles to maintain an image. 

Okay bud. It’s just a car thread. No need to go full assh0le :lol:

Lexus or Porsche would be only luxury brand that I would strongly consider. 

I would recommend Lexus 350 if it had to be luxury, but I am shopping for a new SUV and i am 95% sure it is going to be a Mazda cx-90. 

2 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Mazda cx90 is a sport utility vehicle?  Looks more like an oversized car.

Isn't MTSkiBum the poster who shared a video of him driving a rather ridiculous Colorado Mountain pass.  If so i would say he has some credibility when it comes to capable vehicles. 

I could watch that video again.  good stuff.

5 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Lexus or Porsche would be only luxury brand that I would strongly consider. 

I would recommend Lexus 350 if it had to be luxury, but I am shopping for a new SUV and i am 95% sure it is going to be a Mazda cx-90. 

I do like the Mazdas. But to me it’s soundproofing and road noise that makes the critical difference.

I ain’t paying 100k for a cayenne and I have to say that I’ve found their interior to actually feel shockingly cheap. It is a nice looking car though.

I generally don’t like the way Lexuses look. Maybe the RX though. Why do you recommend Lexus?

6 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

It actually has a longitudinal drivetrain and a 4wd closer to a truck than most suv's.

Got a new Pathfinder, Platinum Trim. Love it. Compares to the Lexus and other high end SUV’s I have driven. But Range Rover is in a different class. The Audi SUV’s are great too. I’m not so high on the Mercedes and BMW’s. Also not noisy and very comfortable.  

• Haha 1

I find my Nissan Frontier sufficient for my needs.  Not an SUV, but a capable midsized pickup.  Last January it got me through a blizzard that shut down I-70 and stranded thousands of Semis and other vehicles, including most every SUV there is.  I drove around thousands of stranded folks and kept on moving. I might have stopped and offered assistance but I would have added to the hazzards to be avoided.

12 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I do like the Mazdas. But to me it’s soundproofing and road noise that makes the critical difference.

I ain’t paying 100k for a cayenne and I have to say that I’ve found their interior to actually feel shockingly cheap. It is a nice looking car though.

I generally don’t like the way Lexuses look. Maybe the RX though. Why do you recommend Lexus?

Because I value resale and reliability highly, both of which both Lexus and Porsche(surprisingly) are near the top when it comes to luxury vehicles.

48 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I’d really love a Range Rover but couldn’t possibly bring myself to spend six figures on a car. Although maybe I’d check out the Velar model. Porsche etc out as well. 

Looking at Alfa Romeo Tonale, or maybe an Audi (q7 or q5). Might have to check out the x5 but I don’t really see myself as a BMW guy. Interested in Mercedes as well but not really seeing a model I like — possibly the GLC Coupe?

interesting that you are ok with audi, mercedes, porsche, but not BMW.

i have had 3 cars over the past 25 years (all BMW), and my wife has owned saturn, BMW, Audi, Honda, and Land Rover.

She had a BMW X3 that was totaled about a year and a half ago.  we were not at fault and received about 5k more than we paid for the car 5 years prior.  we looked at different options (including the X5), but she went back to an X3.  it works well for us. i will even be more spacious in the fall as we become empty nesters.

21 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Also, I hate my wife's vehicle. The plan is to trade my truck in for this car based SUV but I expect my wife to want to always drive this new car so then I can drive hers for 6 months and then trade it away on a new truck for me.

Foolproof.

14 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

It actually has a longitudinal drivetrain and a 4wd closer to a truck than most suv's.

Yea, what’s the ground clearance?

Prius or smartcar

3 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Does not matter, I just need it for towing not for off roading.

But it is practically a mini van in off road capabilities.

5 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

interesting that you are ok with audi, mercedes, porsche, but not BMW.

i have had 3 cars over the past 25 years (all BMW), and my wife has owned saturn, BMW, Audi, Honda, and Land Rover.

She had a BMW X3 that was totaled about a year and a half ago.  we were not at fault and received about 5k more than we paid for the car 5 years prior.  we looked at different options (including the X5), but she went back to an X3.  it works well for us. i will even be more spacious in the fall as we become empty nesters.

When I think of BMW, I think type A.

Do you feel otherwise?

5 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Also, I hate my wife's vehicle. The plan is to trade my truck in for this car based SUV but I expect my wife to want to always drive this new car so then I can drive hers for 6 months and then trade it away on a new truck for me.

Foolproof.

Let me backpeddle.  I never consider a small suv a real suv.  A suv needs to be is a full size vehicle to count in my book.

good luck.

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Does not matter, I just need it for towing not for off roading.

But it is practically a mini van in off road capabilities.

Tow, hell I’m getting the 6.2 to tow over my 5.3 I currently use.

I was also the last vehicle over Berthoud pass recently before they closed the road.  Dozens of folks stuck.  I picked up two young ladies from Iowa who managed to get their Dad's Lincoln SUV stuck.  

1 minute ago, IGotWorms said:

When I think of BMW, I think type A.

Do you feel otherwise?

you mean on the road?  if so, the 4 are comparable imo.

lately, i have seen telsa drivers exert more aggression  :lol:

Just now, Bier Meister said:

you mean on the road?  if so, the 4 are comparable imo.

lately, i have seen telsa drivers exert more aggression  :lol:

Not necessarily on the road, but that the kind of person that owns a bmw is typically a type a personality.

I suppose you could say that of most luxury vehicles but for me it’s especially so for BMW.

:dunno:

My rental car last week was a BMW SUV...not seeing the difference between a loaded Honda. 

3 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Tow, hell I’m getting the 6.2 to tow over my 5.3 I currently use.

My boat is under 5k pounds, I towed over 10,000 miles with the acura mdx that @DankNuggs recommended years ago. I have no problem towing a light load with a unibody v6 minivan.

Let’s compare Tesla’s to other cars. I’ll start. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IGotWorms said:

Not necessarily on the road, but that the kind of person that owns a bmw is typically a type a personality.

I suppose you could say that of most luxury vehicles but for me it’s especially so for BMW.

4 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I don't think you can use one stereotype for one luxury car brand and not the others. Demographics for almost all luxury brands are near the same with the exception of the 2 domestic luxury brands, if anyone considers them luxury anymore.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

clarance? 

4 minutes ago, jonmx said:

My rental car last week was a BMW SUV...not seeing the difference between a loaded Honda. 

1700 a week?

28 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

My boat is under 5k pounds, I towed over 10,000 miles with the acura mdx that @DankNuggs recommended years ago. I have no problem towing a light load with a unibody v6 minivan.

👍

33 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

What’s your type? LGBTQ :)

1 minute ago, Alias Detective said:

What’s your type? LGBTQ :)

It might be :unsure: The RX and Velar are chick cars but I kinda like em

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

From what I've been told the constant maintenance issues with Range Rovers in a huge pain in the azz.

I like the BMW x3 and x5.  I have test driven both and have friends that have them and love them.  I was very disappointed in the Mercedes I test drove.

1 hour ago, edjr said:

1700 a week?

Free upgrade. 

In all honesty, Jaguar is a relatively inexpensive luxury name.  I was amazed at the price of used Jags.  Their value resale value is terrible.

Just now, Alias Detective said:

In all honesty, Jaguar is a relatively inexpensive luxury name.  I was amazed Aaron the price of used Jags.  Their value resale value is terrible.

They spend more time in the repair shop than in your garage. 

• Like 1