Sign in to follow this  
patweisers44

Jared Goff Extension

4 years, 212 million total. 170 million guaranteed. 

Middle of the pack talent at best, but in this system top 10 QB.  

If it helps bring a Super Bowl ok, but i feel like the last couple of years may be a bit of an albatross.  Hope I am wrong.

7 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

4 years, 212 million total. 170 million guaranteed. 

Middle of the pack talent at best, but in this system top 10 QB.  

If it helps bring a Super Bowl ok, but i feel like the last couple of years may be a bit of an albatross.  Hope I am wrong.

Dak is smiling right now. 

• Thanks 1

I always picked on Goff and then he turned into a pretty good QB over time. 

Whats alarming is a stat I read.  Over last 2 seasons hes played 17 games both home and 17 away.  He has 44 total TDs at home and 17 away.  

What I always tell people about these QB contracts is what is the alternative?   Sure you can point to Dan Jones and say an alternative there was better.  But the Lions are in the middle of a a good run in what has taken forever to see.  What do you do.. play hardball with your starting QB at this stage?  

QB contracts are out of hand and most get overpaid on paper.  But in 2 years he goes down what?  7 notchs on the paid list as the cap grows?  If he plays at the same level a couple years from now the contract may look like a bargain.  

Watch what Love will get after 1 season starting.  And as a Packers fan I am finr with it....because whats the alternative?  

Unless they do something with the QB contracts we may see teams get creative and try to go recycle guys at the position.  People point to the 9ers and Purdy....but they will end up paying him too. 

• Like 1

That’s the going rate for a QB that might be capable of winning a Super Bowl.

I’d say Goff is on the lower end of that group, but still, it’s not a big group. Anyone in it is worth the $$

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Same. He does nothing great but does everything well. I think he's a better version of Kirk Cousins. 

Until the details are known, the $212 million is meaningless.  The $170 million is the real number.   There is probably a huge $65 million in the option 5th year with about $13 million being dead cap money.   Until we see how the money is structured, it is meaningless.  It may be really be a $43 million per year deal, with a smaller yearly cap hit. 

Detroit (as currently constructed) can win the Superbowl with Goff.  I don’t think they can win the Superbowl with Campbell making lunkhead decisions.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tree of Knowledge said:

Detroit (as currently constructed) can win the Superbowl with Goff.  I don’t think they can win the Superbowl with Campbell making lunkhead decisions.  

Campbell's lunkhead decisions are more inline with advance metrics than any coach in the league.   The antiquated conservative tendency is to kick way too often.   Campbell has a lot more football smarts than most people realize.  

Just amazing how much money they pay mediocre players in today’s nfl.  Johnny U would have been worth what?  Just imagine.  

Today’s NFL stinks the players do not value the game, they don’t play to win, and the rules have made avg players look great with inflated stats based on rule changes, these players today don’t deserve this much money, but that’s their value.  

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Just amazing how much money they pay mediocre players in today’s nfl.  Johnny U would have been worth what?  Just imagine.  

Today’s NFL stinks the players do not value the game, they don’t play to win, and the rules have made avg players look great with inflated stats based on rule changes, these players today don’t deserve this much money, but that’s their value.  

Thanks. 

You’re welcome? :unsure:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

I’d say Goff is on the lower end of that group, but still, it’s not a big group. Anyone in it is worth the $$

I agree, it is what it is and he's had pretty good success with the Lions. He's surprisingly a top 10 QB. 

11 hours ago, jonmx said:

Campbell's lunkhead decisions are more inline with advance metrics than any coach in the league.   The antiquated conservative tendency is to kick way too often.   Campbell has a lot more football smarts than most people realize.  

Coaches shouldn’t be paid millions to just blindly follow metrics. We expect coaches to be able to assess the specific game flow situation, his team and opponent. If he kicks those field goals, Lions win the NFC.   

1 hour ago, Tree of Knowledge said:

Coaches shouldn’t be paid millions to just blindly follow metrics. We expect coaches to be able to assess the specific game flow situation, his team and opponent. If he kicks those field goals, Lions win the NFC.   

Instead they should be paid to blindly follow the antiquated traditions of always kicking to make sure they don't piss off the ig grant fan base. 

If Reynolds doesn't drop two critical catches they wun the game.  If a ball does not bounce of the Lions face mask turning an easy INT into a TD, they win the game.  If Goff doesn't trip over his own two feet everytime he was flushed out of the pocket, they win the game. 

Without Campbell and Holmes, this team is still bottom of the league. 

16 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Dak is smiling right now. 

Goff is the best QB that the lions have had in 30 years. He fits the system well. They took a chance on him and he proved that he could take him to the superbowl. Some wonkey decisions in from the coaching staff and a swiss cheese secondary were what sunk the lions. They fixed the secondary and should land middle of the pack this year. NOT paying him was never going to be an option. Detroit would have burned if the team somehow let him get to the point he wanted to walk. My only concern with the lions is that we literally had a path last year partly because of how terrible the NFC north was. Then EVERY team in the NFC north went out and got way better. fock  

16 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Whats alarming is a stat I read.  Over last 2 seasons hes played 17 games both home and 17 away.  He has 44 total TDs at home and 17 away.  

What I always tell people about these QB contracts is what is the alternative?   Sure you can point to Dan Jones and say an alternative there was better.  But the Lions are in the middle of a a good run in what has taken forever to see.  What do you do.. play hardball with your starting QB at this stage?  

QB contracts are out of hand and most get overpaid on paper.  But in 2 years he goes down what?  7 notchs on the paid list as the cap grows?  If he plays at the same level a couple years from now the contract may look like a bargain.  

Watch what Love will get after 1 season starting.  And as a Packers fan I am finr with it....because whats the alternative?  

Unless they do something with the QB contracts we may see teams get creative and try to go recycle guys at the position.  People point to the 9ers and Purdy....but they will end up paying him too. 

Does it matter if the TD totals are 44-17 if they're winning at almost the same rate?  In those 34 games, they're 11-6 at home and 10-7 on the road.  They've also ranked 5th in scoring each of the last 2 years.  They do play in a dome and that probably helps them more in the passing game than some other teams, when it comes to home field advantage.  Also, if you look at other QB's, who may have more passing TD's on the road, you're likely to find that the number isn't that much higher... but you're also likely to find that their number of passing TD's at home, aren't as high.  Look at Dak for example, I believe his h/r split is 34/25... he's 14-1 at home and 6-8 on the road.  I'll gladly take Goff's results.  Who's another QB you can compare him to?  Lawrence?  He only has 45 total TD's I think.  Burrow?  He's been banged up a bit.  Tua?  He has a better home record (12-3), but a losing record on the road (7-8).  He has more passing TD's on the road, by a good size (29), but he's almost half (25), at home.  Burrow hasn't been healthy the last 2 years, neither has Cousins.  Lamar, Allen, and Hurts really aren't the same style QB.  Yeah, he's not Patrick Mahomes... ok, neither are the other 30 QB's in the league, so I'm not sure why there's an issue with his h/r splits regarding TD's when they're still winning at a similar clip.  Who do you think is comparable QB that is producing similar w/l results with better numers?

QB contracts are all about guaranteed money and cap hit, nothing else.  The total dollar figure and years are irrelevant.  What you can't have is a long term deal with a boat load of guaranteed money, unless it's obvious that the player is worth it.  That's why contracts are written where the team can get out of a deal in 3 years with a nominal cap hit.  Heck, after the 2026 season, the Bills can get out of Josh Allen's deal for a $30M cap hit.  If they need to go into the 2027 draft needing a QB and have a $35M cap hit at QB for 1 year, that would probably put them somewhere in the middle of the league.  Only Mahomes is getting a 10 year deal... no one else is.

1 minute ago, kilroy69 said:

Goff is the best QB that the lions have had in 30 years. He fits the system well. They took a chance on him and he proved that he could take him to the superbowl. Some wonkey decisions in from the coaching staff and a swiss cheese secondary were what sunk the lions. They fixed the secondary and should land middle of the pack this year. NOT paying him was never going to be an option. Detroit would have burned if the team somehow let him get to the point he wanted to walk. My only concern with the lions is that we literally had a path last year partly because of how terrible the NFC north was. Then EVERY team in the NFC north went out and got way better. fock  

I wouldn't phrase it that way.  I'd say that he's the only QB that's played in a system that works, in Detroit for the last 30 years.  I'd even be as bold as to say "ever", and not just limit it to just 30 years.  Stafford was definitely a better QB, but they never built a team or system around him, like Goff has had.

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

I wouldn't phrase it that way.  I'd say that he's the only QB that's played in a system that works, in Detroit for the last 30 years.  I'd even be as bold as to say "ever", and not just limit it to just 30 years.  Stafford was definitely a better QB, but they never built a team or system around him, like Goff has had.

I made a mistake. Stafford was probably a better qb. So 2 in the last 30 years. 

Just now, kilroy69 said:

I made a mistake. Stafford was probably a better qb. So 2 in the last 30 years. 

their history.

🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Does it matter if the TD totals are 44-17 if they're winning at almost the same rate?  In those 34 games, they're 11-6 at home and 10-7 on the road.  They've also ranked 5th in scoring each of the last 2 years.  They do play in a dome and that probably helps them more in the passing game than some other teams, when it comes to home field advantage.  Also, if you look at other QB's, who may have more passing TD's on the road, you're likely to find that the number isn't that much higher... but you're also likely to find that their number of passing TD's at home, aren't as high.  Look at Dak for example, I believe his h/r split is 34/25... he's 14-1 at home and 6-8 on the road.  I'll gladly take Goff's results.  Who's another QB you can compare him to?  Lawrence?  He only has 45 total TD's I think.  Burrow?  He's been banged up a bit.  Tua?  He has a better home record (12-3), but a losing record on the road (7-8).  He has more passing TD's on the road, by a good size (29), but he's almost half (25), at home.  Burrow hasn't been healthy the last 2 years, neither has Cousins.  Lamar, Allen, and Hurts really aren't the same style QB.  Yeah, he's not Patrick Mahomes... ok, neither are the other 30 QB's in the league, so I'm not sure why there's an issue with his h/r splits regarding TD's when they're still winning at a similar clip.  Who do you think is comparable QB that is producing similar w/l results with better numers?

QB contracts are all about guaranteed money and cap hit, nothing else.  The total dollar figure and years are irrelevant.  What you can't have is a long term deal with a boat load of guaranteed money, unless it's obvious that the player is worth it.  That's why contracts are written where the team can get out of a deal in 3 years with a nominal cap hit.  Heck, after the 2026 season, the Bills can get out of Josh Allen's deal for a $30M cap hit.  If they need to go into the 2027 draft needing a QB and have a $35M cap hit at QB for 1 year, that would probably put them somewhere in the middle of the league.  Only Mahomes is getting a 10 year deal... no one else is.

Of course if you win it doesn't matter.  

Doesn't change the fact that a 44/17 split is quite alarming for the individual player.  

Just now, listen2me 23 said:

Of course if you win it doesn't matter.  

Doesn't change the fact that a 44/17 split is quite alarming for the individual player.  

Also why are you going on and on like I said he sucks and isnt worth it?  Did you read my post?

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Stafford was definitely a better QB,

I disagree. He's certainly the more skilled QB but not necessarily better. Stafford has tunnel vision, he locks in on his favorites rather than taking what's given. The numbers are skewed. That's hurt him in big games. To his credit, he does have a Superbowl win, with a loaded team. 

I think McVay grossly misused Goff. He's more than a game manager. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

I disagree. He's certainly the more skilled QB but not necessarily better. Stafford has tunnel vision, he locks in on his favorites rather than taking what's given. The numbers are skewed. That's hurt him in big games. To his credit, he does have a Superbowl win, with a loaded team. 

Stafford also had the luxury of just being able to launch it to one of the best jump ball wrs of all time with the knowledge that Megatron was about to make a DB or 2 look silly. 

1 minute ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Yeah, I don't know where this tunnel vision stuff comes from, but maybe that's your fantasy mind ruling over your reality mind.

LOL, loaded team.  What "loaded team" was that?  Sony Michel & Darrell Henderson became stars... when?  Outside of Cooper Kupp, Van Jefferson was a star... when?  Robert Woods' 5 games played was some monumental display?  DeSean Jackson was a beast for 7 games?  Odell Beckham Jr.?  🤣  Oh, I see who you mean, that future H.O.F.'er Tyler Higbee.  My bad. 🙄

I don't disagree with your take on McVay/Goff.

Keep in mind stafford played for a team that was always behind.  His stats are inflated because he was forced to throw all the damn time 

2 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Keep in mind stafford played for a team that was always behind.  His stats are inflated because he was forced to throw all the damn time 

Agree, Stafford is a numbers guy

5 hours ago, jonmx said:

Instead they should be paid to blindly follow the antiquated traditions of always kicking to make sure they don't piss off the ig grant fan base. 

That Dallas prime time game going for 2 and then going for it again after the ball got moved back to the 5 was all ego call. The SB call was stupid and ego based and smart analytics would have advised against it. Dude is to full of himself and a ahole coach.

37 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

That Dallas prime time game going for 2 and then going for it again after the ball got moved back to the 5 was all ego call. The SB call was stupid and ego based and smart analytics would have advised against it. Dude is to full of himself and a ahole coach.

He has to know how to walk that line between ultra aggressive and playing for the chance to win. I think that the retool of the defensive backfield he will likely not be put in a position to make that many 4th down calls this year at the end of the game. I really feel like he had to be aggressive because Cam Sutton was such a liability (dak calling him out by name) that he felt he had to win it on offense. Losing that POS sutton and gaining basically a newer, younger, faster DB corps is going to get Detroit to the next level. I am a huge MCDC fan and the truth is the Lions have not had good coaching for a very very long time. He may not be Andy Reid but man I will take him over most of the coaches in the league. Most can not get that fight out of their players. The one thing that baffles me is their lack of attention to the DE. Hutch is awesome and if they got one more player to crush onto the qb it would be great to see. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Metrics supported those calls. 

23 minutes ago, jonmx said:

Metrics supported those calls. 

Going for 2 on the 5 yard line instead of a tie game and OT?

4 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Going for 2 on the 5 yard line instead of a tie game and OT?

No,  it he told his team before the drive they were going for the win.   His word means more than metrics, and character is what the Lions rebuild is based upon.  

18 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Meh.  Im not some huge Stafford fan.  But hes a better QB than Goff.  

He won a SB the very first year he got out of Detroit.  He is tied for the record of most 4th quarter comebacks in a season.  He holds the record for most pass yds per playoff game. 

Stafford's QB rating in the playoffs- 101.7

Goff's - 88.4

You people are trying too hard.  

3 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Meh.  Im not some huge Stafford fan.  But hes a better QB than Goff.  

He won a SB the very first year he got out of Detroit.  He is tied for the record of most 4th quarter comebacks in a season.  He holds the record for most pass yds per playoff game. 

Stafford's QB rating in the playoffs- 101.7

Goff's - 88.4

You people are trying too hard.  

No I'm not...I watched Stafford every year here.   My eye test tells me differently.  I'm not saying he isn't a good QB- obviously he is..But Goff fits here better than Stafford does.  If you offered me a straight up trade --Goff for Stafford, I'd take Goff.

And the 4th quarter comeback stat is ridiculous when you have to come from behind as many times as he did while here.

21 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

I wouldn't put Minnesota in that boat. 

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

No I'm not...I watched Stafford every year here.   My eye test tells me differently.  I'm not saying he isn't a good QB- obviously he is..But Goff fits here better than Stafford does.  If you offered me a straight up trade --Goff for Stafford, I'd take Goff.

And the 4th quarter comeback stat is ridiculous when you have to come from behind as many times as he did while here.

Trade them now?  Stafford is old and beat up.  Thats not what we are talking about what so ever.  

Yeah when you are behind you get an opportunity to do it.  Doesnt take away the fact he did it.  

Goff wouldnt do it if put in those positions.  

Of course Goff fits this team.  They actually have a team.   Stafdord got the laughing stock franchise version.  

Agree to disagree.  Stafford has a SB.  Stafford has performed way better in the playoffs.  

3 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Trade them now?  Stafford is old and beat up.  Thats not what we are talking about what so ever.  

Yeah when you are behind you get an opportunity to do it.  Doesnt take away the fact he did it.  

Goff wouldnt do it if put in those positions.  

Of course Goff fits this team.  They actually have a team.   Stafdord got the laughing stock franchise version.  

Agree to disagree.  Stafford has a SB.  Stafford has performed way better in the playoffs.  

Well I'm not terribly interested in what was.....cause that can't change. I'm interested in what is.  And Goff is a better fit and a better QB for the Lions..today

Just now, supermike80 said:

Well I'm not terribly interested in what was.....cause that can't change. I'm interested in what is.  And Goff is a better fit and a better QB for the Lions..today

20 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Thats a lot of past tense for only caring about today.  

Ill leave it alone lol

• Like 1

This extension makes it even more likely that Dak does not remain a cowboy. Are you really going to pay Dak that type of money when you can just get a rookie on a 5 year affordable deal after you fire the coach and tank in 2025