Sign in to follow this  
cyclone24

Where are we at with seed tanking?

So im currently 5th. The way our playoffs shake out i could have to play two 10-3 teams to make the final....JUST to make the final. I cannot make it to 4th seed.

However...if I lose this week...and drop to 6th...id play an under .500 division winner and an 8-5 division winner thats not that great.

I wouldnt be dropping anyone or picking up garbage...and im in the playoffs no matter what.

This frowned upon or this ok?

Strategy. You do whatever you think gives you the best opportunity to win it all. The only ones who are going to complain are those that wanted to be in your spot, instead.

• Like 1

So im currently 5th. The way our playoffs shake out i could have to play two 10-3 teams to make the final....JUST to make the final. I cannot make it to 4th seed.

However...if I lose this week...and drop to 6th...id play an under .500 division winner and an 8-5 division winner thats not that great.

I wouldnt be dropping anyone or picking up garbage...and im in the playoffs no matter what.

Hopefully the 6th place team isn't locked in so can they can lose their game and stay in 6th.. But yeah, throw the game. Losing on purpose can only be frowned upon if you are colluding to help another team.

Weak wuzzy crap.

You play too win the game

Hey Merry Christmas and Happy new year. God bless

Not against the rules.

However, the FF God's tend to frown upon things like this leading to losing record guy smoking you with his highest score if the yr.

As a commissioner I'd likely take control of your team and set your lineup based on projections. It's not so much that I'd care what you're doing with your team, but if you're handing out a free win to a team that still trying to qualify for the playoffs or could be eliminated with a loss that's an impact on the entire league. Not just your seeding.

I see this backfire before too. I believe there is fantasy karma/gods. Just play your best lineup.

?

So for instance, if he has Eli Manning on the bench and were to play him this week instead of Tom Brady his normal starter, and that loses him the game, as he is hoping for, then you are saying that the following week his usual starters will score less than if he played Brady this week? Or if he does that, his opponent for the following week will score more because of this?

How does this affect the players on the field and how they will perform from week to week?

So for instance, if he has Eli Manning on the bench and were to play him this week instead of Tom Brady his normal starter, and that loses him the game, as he is hoping for, then you are saying that the following week his usual starters will score less than if he played Brady this week? Or if he does that, his opponent for the following week will score more because of this?

How does this affect the players on the field and how they will perform from week to week?

It's the fantasy gods, they have their part in everything. lol

I think he means, more or less that, say said ffl player needs to lose and has Eli and Brady, so he puts in Eli. Eli has a career day, Brady stinks it up because of the fantasy gods/karma. If he had Brady in he would've lost but since Eli had a career day he won the game and is in the exact situation he didn't want to be in to begin with.

I think he means, more or less that, say said ffl player needs to lose and has Eli and Brady, so he puts in Eli. Eli has a career day, Brady stinks it up because of the fantasy gods/karma. If he had Brady in he would've lost but since Eli had a career day he won the game and is in the exact situation he didn't want to be in to begin with.

It could also mean that he tanks this week to face what is perceived as a weaker team. When facing said weaker team in the playoffs, they have a better week than the 10-3 team he would have faced had he won. As a result he loses to the "weaker" team while he would have won had he not tanked and faced the "better" team. I think this was the original intent of the FF Gods comment by the newb.

Yeah, but all we do in FF is play what we think are the favorable odds. For better or worse.

This is all part of the game. After the 1 PM games were coming to a close but before the late games started it was clear I would be able to swap out some players for lesser players to drop from the first place seed in one league to the second place seed giving me a bye still and the matchup against the weaker of the 2 teams out of the other 4 to make the playoffs.

This is all part of the game. After the 1 PM games were coming to a close but before the late games started it was clear I would be able to swap out some players for lesser players to drop from the first place seed in one league to the second place seed giving me a bye still and the matchup against the weaker of the 2 teams out of the other 4 to make the playoffs.

Right. If we don't keep this type of strategy in FF, then what do we actually do? 90% of FF is luck. It's the 10% that determines if we win or lose. It's not like we are actually out there playing.

Right. If we don't keep this type of strategy in FF, then what do we actually do? 90% of FF is luck. It's the 10% that determines if we win or lose. It's not like we are actually out there playing.

We're does the ten percent come from?

I mean how do you know it's only 90 percent luck, can you indeed prove that theory?

It could also mean that he tanks this week to face what is perceived as a weaker team. When facing said weaker team in the playoffs, they have a better week than the 10-3 team he would have faced had he won. As a result he loses to the "weaker" team while he would have won had he not tanked and faced the "better" team. I think this was the original intent of the FF Gods comment by the newb.

Very very true.

Yeah, but all we do in FF is play what we think are the favorable odds. For better or worse.

Yeah, you're exactly right, in all seriousness. I think he was just commenting about the karma factor dand that tanking can be considered a cheap move and something the gods might punish or that karma will come back around. But yeah all we do are play the odds.

Ok first off you guys are right relating to karma. Yes you think you can outsmart everyone it backfires. You are trying to anticipate the results for 2 weeks really,

Second off I am far from a newb. Dumb comment ok bud I have been doing this for 25 years.

Second off I am far from a newb. Dumb comment ok bud I have been doing this for 25 years.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

If you're not joking:

Not against the rules.

However, the FF God's tend to frown upon things like this leading to losing record guy smoking you with his highest score if the yr.

the newb was the first to bring FF God's into the thread. Ricky Bobby's dad said it best, "If you ain't first, you're last."

I have tanked games, for better FF playoff positioning. And, yeah - karma bit me in the ass, and I didn't make the Superbowl.

Would I do it again? Yup!

Moreso than the ethereal idea of Karma, I would say if this is a ongoing league where many of the same owners play each year it will come back to bite you in a real world way. Going forward most guys who notice the action will have no compulsion to put in their best lineup in a situation where you need help to make the playoffs in the future. In addition any owners who are directly affected may be more difficult to deal with going forward with trades and such. Do unto others as you would have done to you.

Maybe it helps you this year, maybe not, but the risk is you being on the other side in the years that follow. If its a one and done league let your conscience be the guide. If I was an owner who was on the playoff fence that could be harmed by the tanking I would make sure the tanking was clearly noted to all league mates personally which would make it more likely others will not feel the urgency to their best in a way that would help you in the future.

My longtime league went to weekly 50/50 format this season. Its amazing. You cant hide. If you score a lot, you win. If you score like crap, you lose. If you score in the middle of the league, its a close crapshoot that usually comes down to Monday night. Sometimes theres 5 teams battling for 2 wins on Monday night. Its great and it is the future default format for season-long fantasy.

Our playoffs start this week. Single elimination 50/50 between 6 teams in week 14. Again, no hiding. Its excellent. And you now dont have to worry about these types of shenanigans where someone tries to hide from the better opponents in the playoffs. It also ties the whole league together fairly and cancels the worries about strength of schedule, deadbeat owners, points against...all of that. So everyone has to deal with Kamara every week. Its diabolical and awesome.

I've done it 3 times, and when I had the chance to another time, I didn't. The first time I did it, it worked and I won the championship. The second time it didn't work. I thought to myself that maybe I just got lucky the first time so the next time this situation presented itself, I didn't do it and it I should have. Had I tanked, I would have ended up winning the championship. Instead, I lost in the first round (with the 2nd highest score of the week). So, then next 2 times I did it, it work. Tanking isn't 100%, but I'll take the odds. Also, something to keep in mind, the record isn't always the best guide. I judge it by points.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

If you're not joking:

the newb was the first to bring FF God's into the thread. Ricky Bobby's dad said it best, "If you ain't first, you're last."

Oh duh sorry to many IPA's up late drinking and researching FF

What if I set an illegal lineup to take a zero?

If me and the 6th seed both lose i have about 75 more points. If I take a zero and he scores....that would drop me to 6th.

Is THAT frowned upon?

If me and the 6th seed both lose i have about 75 more points. If I take a zero and he scores....that would drop me to 6th.

Is THAT frowned upon?

Ask your league, no one here has any skin in the game.

Is THAT frowned upon?

Whats an illegal lineup? You have to start guys that are actually active right. Play your worst active players.

Whats an illegal lineup? You have to start guys that are actually active right. Play your worst active players.

Just not play like..tom brady or something.

Even worst.

Can't happen in my 14 teamer because it will still cost you points and cash.

Even worst.

Can't happen in my 14 teamer because it will still cost you points and cash.

Seems like there is no reward for higher points unless I missed that.