Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Anyone ever take a DISC assessment?

It's a personality/leadership style test that's used to access who you are and your style.... I had it at a leadership training awhile back.

Anyway... I took it and I found it to be pretty spot on... only one I've ever really seen

If I recall the different colors show personality traits (I may have them wrong, but you get the point)

Red = Domineering, hard charging, demanding, driven, need to win, etc

Green - were your statistics people... loved math... might be loners..

Blue - organizers... spatial thinkers... etc

Yellow - social... emotional... charsimatic... influencing... fun... etc

Anyway, you take the assessment to help you realize more acutely who you are. Then you have your team take them to help you know who they are and how better to motivate/lead them. How to get the best out of them and the best tact to accomplish that.

If a guy is a high red and works for you, you know he probably likes a challenge and will probably rise to the occasion. He may respond well to confrontation/challenge, or may try to dominate you if you show weakness.

On the other hand... your green guy might not have the social skills but is fantastic at numbers/theory. So you wouldn't get in his space and challenge him as he would respond horribly and may shut down

That's the concept anyway.

Mine shows a really high yellow with an equally high red. This is pretty much spot on for me.

Natural Style Pattern

Natural Style Pattern: Your natural style is the way you tend to behave when you aren't thinking about it. This is where you are most comfortable (natural). This is also the style you will revert back to when under stress or moving too quickly to be consciously thinking about modifying your behavior. Finally, this is the style you should seek to be true to in your daily roles. Being natural will return better results with less effort and stress. The following statements are true to just your unique natural style:

• Shows the rare skill of being able to manipulate people (in a positive way) without their noticing the manipulation.
  • High level of decisiveness, coupled with high influencing skills. The Higher D and I traits are nearly tied.
  • Likes to maintain control over the project or system activities.
  • Able to project an image of openness and friendship to others, even while maintaining self control and an ability to distance from others when necessary.
  • A strong competitor and very active self-starter.
  • Can be very charming in persuading others when climate is favorable and firm when confronting a hostile situation.
  • Will react, adjust, and modify behavior in a variety of situations.
Adaptive Style Pattern

Adaptive Style Pattern: This is the style of behavior you adapt to when you are conscious of your own behavior, when you feel you are being observed or whenever you are trying to better fit a situation. This is not a natural style for you, but still one of your two styles none-the-less. In other words, it is the way you feel you "should" behave when thinking about it. The statements below are specific to your individual Adaptive style:

• You show confidence in your ability to motivate and persuade others into the behaviors required for the desired outcome of the project.
  • You want to be seen as an easy person to be around, and won't deliberately antagonize others.
  • You prefer a favorable social environment rather than an antagonistic one, and will work to maintain the positive environment.
  • Known as one with a remarkable ability to shift the mood from serious to lighthearted smoothly and easily.
  • You show the ability to speak to audiences and motivate others with poise, confidence, and excellent verbal skills.
  • You usually show a positive sense of humor, and can sometimes relieve a tense moment by a subtle comment, quick wit, or verbal quip.
  • You tend to have a moderate to higher sense of urgency, and you may become easily bored by mundane or routine projects.

Here's the test online... what you got? Does it seem correct?

Here's a free test to see your results instantly: https://institutesuccess.com/disc-assessment/

I did a full one once. The bullshit college I was at had the students take them and we did too.

I honestly dont remember the results.

Ya ours was a full on one too.. took quite awhile to finish it. Pretty much the same results as this short one though. Try it out.

Gotta love the government spending money on this Bullshit. Some lobbyist takes the right guy out to dinner and next thing you know they are going to show how people who's job it is to take orders can be made to take orders. Do your job.Training over. My favorite was "verbal judo". What a fockin joke. That guy ended up giving us a 2 hour break after our hour and a half lunch. He had no clue what he walked into that morning. It's a racket.

I took it 2 times at my previous employer. Was interesting, but it changed NOTHING. Just another way for HR to stay busy.

Our results werent color based. D was a dominant personality/style. I dont remember what I or S were. C was Compliant.

I took it 2 times at my previous employer. Was interesting, but it changed NOTHING. Just another way for HR to stay busy.

Our results werent color based. D was a dominant personality/style. I dont remember what I or S were. C was Compliant.

100% agree.

Strong green when i have taken this test previously.

I did one before a conference last year. I actually found myself very impressed as well with how well it applied to me, Particularly in how I believe in leading and effective and ineffective ways to communicate with me. It was one of those things I got a lot out of, as it moved some things I knew about myself from the subconscious to the conscious, and Ive made some decisions based on those things that have turned out well.

I dont remember colors so much as D=Decisive, I=Interpersonal, S=Stability, C=Caution maybe.

Ill post the highlights of mine this afternoon.

• Like 1

HR always seems to be the most utterly useless department at every company. I dont think they would have been missed anywhere Ive ever worked.

• Decisive — your preference for problem solving and getting results
• Interactive — your preference for interacting with others and showing emotion
• Stability — your preference for pacing, persistence and steadiness
• Cautious — your preference for procedures, standards and protocols

My Natural vs Adaptive scores were: D=47/44...I=67/74...S=77/32....C=34/32.............I think the S variance is related to be being forced to adapt to a much less stable work place than I would prefer. I also believe this to be a large underlying reason for my dissatisfaction with the work situation. Owner of our company was trying to make sense of my scores while we were watching a football game and I told him the following. If I can take some time and do enough research to have a strong opinion (Lower D), I'm willing to bet my entire bank account on the next game (Low C), but I have to believe he won't be too hurt by the loss (Higher I) and I need to know it won't change our work relationship come tomorrow (High S). :dunno:

Anyway, my assessment is 22 pages. Taking another look at it, I got something out of almost every section. It was 95% nail on the head stuff where I was concerned. Some random highlights:

Natural Style Pattern:
Your natural style is the way you tend to behave when you aren't thinking about it. This is where you are most comfortable (natural). This is also the style you will revert back to when under stress or moving too quickly to be consciously thinking about modifying your behavior. Finally, this is the style you should seek to be true to in your daily roles. Being natural will return better results with less effort and stress. The following statements are true to just your unique natural style:

• Prefers to establish relationships for the team or organization that are based on long-standing contacts, rather than brief superficial communications.
• Listens carefully to alternatives before making a judgment.
• Tends not to force your own ideas on others with edicts, but rather by offering considered suggestions.
• Tends to be like those who are unselfish people and who are ready to assist in helping others.
• Tends to say 'yes' more than 'no' when asked to help out with a colleague's project or problem.
• May be sought out by others in the organization to assist with a personal or team problem.
• Tends to be an excellent 'teacher' to peers on the team, at any level of the organization.
• Able to meet new people easily and in a sincere and confident manner.

Adaptive Style Pattern:
This is the style of behavior you adapt to when you are conscious of your own behavior, when you feel you are being observed or whenever you are trying to better fit a situation. This is not a natural style for you, but still one of your two styles none-the-less. In other words, it is the way you feel you "should" behave when thinking about it. The statements below are specific to your individual Adaptive style:

• You show motivation for a strong determination towards own agenda, and will work to motivate others to that position.
• May want to seek specialized assignments that can capitalize on your social and motivational skills.
• You tend to have a moderate to higher sense of urgency, and you may become easily bored by mundane or routine projects.
• Motivated to be very well networked and you know a wide variety of people within the profession. This can be of enormous benefit to the team or organization as additional contacts become necessary.
• You tend to be very extraverted and if in the midst of a mundane project, you may use creativity or spontaneity to make the activity more exciting.
• You usually show a positive sense of humor, and can sometimes relieve a tense moment by a subtle comment, quick wit, or verbal quip.
• You have the ability to handle pressing problems in a casual manner, but still get the problem solved.
• You show confidence in your ability to motivate and persuade others into the behaviors required for the desired outcome of the project.

The following statements highlight specific strengths of your behavioral style:

• The high optimism helps motivate the team toward its goals.
• Able to negotiate conflicts into win-win situations.
• Demonstrates a high degree of patience in working with others.
• Demonstrates an appropriate combination of people-orientation plus listening ability and may serve as a sought-after coach or counselor to peers within the organization.
• Very people oriented. Able to talk with new people very easily in small groups or in large audiences.
• Brings a positive sense of humor, and not at the expense of others.
• Able to build positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.

Along with strengths, all behavioral styles come with areas that could become weaknesses - if depended upon or not acknowledged.

• Lack a high sense of urgency, especially when under pressure.
• Be slow to make decisions due to a need to consider the people-side of all issues.
• Be too indirect in providing instructions, not wanting to impose your will on others.
• Hold a bit of a grudge toward those who offer criticism.
• Show less emphasis on productivity and more emphasis on the people-side of a project.
• Need some coaching in time management and in setting deadlines that are more ambitious.
• Be overly tolerant with individuals who are unproductive.

Things to do to effectively communicate with Christopher:

• Be candid, open, and patient.
• Be casual and informal with gestures and body language.
• Offer input on how to make the ideas become reality.
• Provide clear, specific solutions, and support your position.
• Use the conversation to direct you back to the topic or issue at hand… don't get too far off track.
• Be certain that individual responsibilities are clear and there are no ambiguities.

Things to avoid to effectively communicate with Christopher:

• Don't threaten with position or power.
• Don't be rude, abrupt in your delivery.
• Don't manipulate or bully into agreeing.
• Don't leave the idea or plan without backup support.
• Don't be vague or ambiguous.

For what it's worth, I initially misconstrued Adaptive Style as slightly negative or artificial, but no. Adapting is maybe even a greater strength in terms of working with others and actually getting results.

• Like 1

It's a personality/leadership style test that's used to access who you are and your style.... I had it at a leadership training awhile back.

Anyway... I took it and I found it to be pretty spot on... only one I've ever really seen

If I recall the different colors show personality traits (I may have them wrong, but you get the point)

Red = Domineering, hard charging, demanding, driven, need to win, etc

Green - were your statistics people... loved math... might be loners..

Blue - organizers... spatial thinkers... etc

Yellow - social... emotional... charsimatic... influencing... fun... etc

Anyway, you take the assessment to help you realize more acutely who you are. Then you have your team take them to help you know who they are and how better to motivate/lead them. How to get the best out of them and the best tact to accomplish that.

If a guy is a high red and works for you, you know he probably likes a challenge and will probably rise to the occasion. He may respond well to confrontation/challenge, or may try to dominate you if you show weakness.

On the other hand... your green guy might not have the social skills but is fantastic at numbers/theory. So you wouldn't get in his space and challenge him as he would respond horribly and may shut down

That's the concept anyway.

Mine shows a really high yellow with an equally high red. This is pretty much spot on for me.

Here's the test online... what you got? Does it seem correct?

Here's a free test to see your results instantly: https://institutesuccess.com/disc-assessment/

In regards to my relationship with you, I'll say these stand out as immediately accurate (I'm sure they all are).

Natural Style:

• Likes to maintain control over the project or system activities.
  • Able to project an image of openness and friendship to others, even while maintaining self control and an ability to distance from others when necessary.
  • A strong competitor and very active self-starter.
  • Can be very charming in persuading others when climate is favorable and firm when confronting a hostile situation.
  • Will react, adjust, and modify behavior in a variety of situations.

Adaptive Style:

• You want to be seen as an easy person to be around, and won't deliberately antagonize others.
  • You prefer a favorable social environment rather than an antagonistic one, and will work to maintain the positive environment.
  • Known as one with a remarkable ability to shift the mood from serious to lighthearted smoothly and easily.
  • Like 1

CBFalcon, you need to get back out there. Start banging tinder sluts again or something

I know man, I know.

My actual 2018 resolution is to get happy. But instead of that vague un-measurable goal, I made a list of about 20 measurables that as a group would probably help in achieving said goal. Sleeping with at least 4 different women or 1 women 20+ times was one of the items that made the list. With the thinking being that I can't get that done without being more social/getting back out there.

Said 2018 goal is also what sucked me into this thread. That 22 page assessment holds lots of good advice in terms of what motivates me, what type environment I desire, etc.

I got this though. Probably.

I know man, I know.

My actual 2018 resolution is to get happy. But instead of that vague un-measurable goal, I made a list of about 20 measurables that as a group would probably help in achieving said goal. Sleeping with at least 4 different women or 1 women 20+ times was one of the items that made the list. With the thinking being that I can't get that done without being more social/getting back out there.

Said 2018 goal is also what sucked me into this thread. That 22 page assessment holds lots of good advice in terms of what motivates me, what type environment I desire, etc.

Yeah I hear you man. Been in a rut myself lately. Married, so banging other women probably isnt the answer. Got myself in shape already but surprisingly that didnt help a ton. Now Im working on quitting drinking :dunno:

Yeah I hear you man. Been in a rut myself lately. Married, so banging other women probably isnt the answer. Got myself in shape already but surprisingly that didnt help a ton. Now Im working on quitting drinking :dunno:

Dont be a quitter.

What sort of rut are you in? Wife stuff? Work stuff? Just feeling like life isnt all that awesome?

Been through a little of all at one point or another. Unfortunately, I dont have any answers.

Dont be a quitter.

What sort of rut are you in? Wife stuff? Work stuff? Just feeling like life isnt all that awesome?

Been through a little of all at one point or another. Unfortunately, I dont have any answers.

Two little kids. One of thems 3 so I hate him. Wife always on my ass and our relationship is basically nothing. Works fine but Im in a field where you really just dont see many happy people. Is that a thing that even exists though - actual happy people?

Yeah, thats where my heads at right now.

Dont imagine its much different than many fathers of young kids though. Probably just gotta ride it out and hope for the best.

Two little kids. One of thems 3 so I hate him. Wife always on my ass and our relationship is basically nothing. Works fine but Im in a field where you really just dont see many happy people. Is that a thing that even exists though - actual happy people?

Dont imagine its much different than many fathers of young kids though. Probably just gotta ride it out and hope for the best.

Gotta tell you, I do not think your feelings about being a dad are normal. My kids, 6 and 4, are my life. I look forward to coming home every day. Wife stuff is tough. Hopefully you guys can get it worked out...you consider using a company EAP?

I know man, I know.

I think youre approaching happy the entirely wrong way. Too analytical. To quantifiable.

I think you need to pick several situations where you do something completely out of your comfort zone. Something crazy, to you.

Sounds like youre mosty just really bored and disaffected to me.

Gotta tell you, I do not think your feelings about being a dad are normal. My kids, 6 and 4, are my life. I look forward to coming home every day. Wife stuff is tough. Hopefully you guys can get it worked out...you consider using a company EAP?

Did you feel that way when your kids were younger?

I found things were tough til the first one was about 18 months. Now its tough with him again now that hes three, which Ive been told is the real terrible twos.

So Im hoping things will be looking up in 3 years when the youngest is 4 :unsure:

Did you feel that way when your kids were younger?

I found things were tough til the first one was about 18 months. Now its tough with him again now that hes three, which Ive been told is the real terrible twos.

So Im hoping things will be looking up in 3 years when the youngest is 4 :unsure:

Absolutely. The thing I worry about when I get home is my wife whining at the kids. That gets on my nerves more than anything. If they are bothering you, deal with it. Dont focking whine at them. :mad:

I dont recall it being worse when they were younger. Work stressed me out a lot 3+ years ago, so I always looked forward to getting home and giving the kids a hug.

I think youre approaching happy the entirely wrong way. Too analytical. To quantifiable.

I think you need to pick several situations where you do something completely out of your comfort zone. Something crazy, to you.

Sounds like youre mosty just really bored and disaffected to me.

The quantifiable goals are designed to create inertia. That is to say, I dont care about the stated goal so much as I care about what achieving each one forces me to do.

But your read on my being bored and disaffected is very valid. Ill need to think on that and consider adding some goals more designed towards sparking something unexplored.

That sounds rough. My kids are the same age and my wife and I are still doing good.

Almost every night after the kids go to sleep we play games like pinochle, casual PS4 games like "art of balance", arts and crafts like building a dollhouse for our daughter, or "extracurricular activities".

We always make sure that we do stuff together even with young kids.

Two little kids. One of thems 3 so I hate him.

You hate your 3 year old? I assume I misunderstood this.

You hate your 3 year old? I assume I misunderstood this.

It was meant to be tongue in cheek. He has been very challenging lately while he learns how to get in control of his emotions.

It was meant to be tongue in cheek. He has been very challenging lately while he learns how to get in control of his emotions.

My bad. I wasn't following along close. Sorry about your funk though, it happens. I've been in in one as well, for the past 45 years.

Three years old though, that's when it was fun for me with my daughter. Obviously behaviourally each kid is wired differently though. Good luck, and also with the quitting drinking.

• Like 1

My thoughts and potential advice...

My wife and I never stopped loving each other, but we slowly lost the ability to make the other one feel that love, which slowly bred resentment. We were communicating those frustrations and trying to work on them, yet we couldnt get anywhere.

This part gets chickish, but its similar to a DISC Assesment...Last girlfriend I had about 3 years ago had me take one of those 5 Languages of Love tests. There was apparently a whole book on it but I just did the quick online test.

The thinking goes that your love language is what actually makes you feel loved: Quality Time, Kind Words, Recieving gifts, Acts of Service, or Physical Touch.

With me, Acts Of Service scores highest and Recieving Gifts scores lowest by far. Examples in action: A few months back I was texting with my ex and talking about how overwhelmed I was with a long list of things I had to get done before a business trip, including cleaning my apartment up and doing laundry...That night I get home at about 9pm to see that my ex and daughter had come over and cleaned the entire place and done my laundry. I was so affected that I actually teared up for a moment at how much they care about me......Conversely, a girl I date casually (lives in Louisiana and I see her 4-5 times a year) shipped a package to my office for my birthday last month. I was so unaffected that I let it sit there for 3 days and only got around to opening it when she texted me about something else. I was very nice and told her how thoughtful it was and how sweet of a person she is....but what I actually FELT was burdened by having to deal with it.

The mistake we tend to make...we tend to try and show our partners love by doing what makes us feel loved. I never really gave girls gifts because i dont associate them with feeling loved. Instead I think Im being way more loving by getting her car inspected. Then I get bothered about her not caring about that heart felt act of love because she just wants me to hold her hand when we walk downtown.

Its possible this whole Love Language thing is very commmon knowledge now and everyone has done it and Im out of date for thinking otherwise...but if not, then you should take a test and make your wife do the same. I actually feel like it would have potentially done wonders for my marriage.

:dunno:

• Like 2

A few months back I was texting with my ex and talking about how overwhelmed I was with a long list of things I had to get done before a business trip that included cleaning my apartment up and doing laundry...That night I get home at about 9pm to see that my ex and daughter had come over and cleaned the entire place and done my laundry. I was so affected that I actually teared up for a moment at how much they care about me.

That's beautiful. It reminds me of my ex wife, long before we married and were just starting to date. We met working at a grocery store up north and one day before Christmas she had off and I was working she came through my line and asked for my apartment keys. I didn't think much of it, assumed she was going to do just that, clean my apartment, laundry etc. This was my first time out of the house, living on my own, and obviously my first Christmas living alone. When I got home that night I open up the tiny one bedroom apartment door and I see the prettiest little real blue spruce tree decorated with lights and bulbs and some garland and lights hanging on the wall. I was dumbfounded. It was and is to this day the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me. She's young and broke and it turns out she asked her best friends dad at the time if she could cut a tree off his property. Unbelievable. I agree that stuff means less than actions. Give me heartfelt over monetary anyday.

That's beautiful. It reminds me of my ex wife, long before we married and were just starting to date. We met working at a grocery store up north and one day before Christmas she had off and I was working she came through my line and asked for my apartment keys. I didn't think much of it, assumed she was going to do just that, clean my apartment, laundry etc. This was my first time out of the house, living on my own, and obviously my first Christmas living alone. When I got home that night I open up the tiny one bedroom apartment door and I see the prettiest little real blue spruce tree decorated with lights and bulbs and some garland and lights hanging on the wall. I was dumbfounded. It was and is to this day the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me. She's young and broke and it turns out she asked her best friends dad at the time if she could cut a tree off his property. Unbelievable. I agree that stuff means less than actions. Give me heartfelt over monetary anyday.

Thats a great story as well.

When I was younger, I may have been so stupid that Id have even been judgemental about someone feeling loved from gifts or I may have rolled my eyes at their needing too many Words of Affirmation. But it would have been an ignorant viewpoint as I can say that some acts of love I know to have been the most thoughtful have had very little impact compared to some of the simpler acts that probably took no more than 10 minutes worth of effort. I believe trying to show someone you love them in a language you think is more legitimate is an exercise in spinning wheels.

I feel like its a potential game changer for those that have never looked into it.

Holy Crap. I must be a .

Natural Style Pattern

Natural Style Pattern: Your natural style is the way you tend to behave when you aren't thinking about it. This is where you are most comfortable (natural). This is also the style you will revert back to when under stress or moving too quickly to be consciously thinking about modifying your behavior. Finally, this is the style you should seek to be true to in your daily roles. Being natural will return better results with less effort and stress. The following statements are true to just your unique natural style:

• Develops new systems and procedures to increase efficiency or quality control.
  • When in high thought-processing mode, may be somewhat restrained in sharing ideas or expressing feelings. The Higher C and Lower I traits bring this restraint.
  • May vacillate on some decisions, wanting to make the highest quality decision possible, and may keep the information-gate or data-gate open too long. The result may sometimes be decision-by-crisis. The Higher D and C preferences contribute to this.
  • Strong initiator of creative new ideas, and seen as an agent of change within an organization. This comes especially from the Higher D traits.
  • Able to look at a project from both a big-picture perspective and the details and minutia that contribute to each step.
  • Two somewhat opposing drives emerge: The drive for quick, visible results coupled with an equal drive for high quality control. In an ideal world both can be accomplished simultaneously. However, in reality, sometimes these two drives are very difficult to achieve. (We may achieve one at the expense of the other.) The High D and High C traits account for this.
  • Persuades others by being a pace-setter in finding solutions to problems.
Adaptive Style Pattern

Adaptive Style Pattern: This is the style of behavior you adapt to when you are conscious of your own behavior, when you feel you are being observed or whenever you are trying to better fit a situation. This is not a natural style for you, but still one of your two styles none-the-less. In other words, it is the way you feel you "should" behave when thinking about it. The statements below are specific to your individual Adaptive style:

• You tend to be more of a doer than a dreamer and the primary drive is to get things done, to reach closure, and move on to the next project or issue.
  • You show a wide variety of interests in many areas of the organization.
  • Your high degree of self-confidence in taking risks coupled with your high ego strength will yield one who will take full responsibility for the risks.
  • You may be critical of established procedures and methods.
  • You work long hours in creating the best solutions possible and have expectations of others to do the same.
  • You want to be seen as one who loves challenges, competition, and difficult assignments.
  • Your scores are like those who are self-taught in many areas.

Holy Crap. I must be a ######.

Do you agree with the assessment? I dont know you very well, but from the Little I do know it seems accurate.

I did mine about 14 months ago having no knowledge of what it was about. I remember thinking it was going to be a waste of time, that I could tailor my answers to any result I desired, and i expected the results to be vague enough to form fit anyone that would pay for it.

When I read the results, it was one of those things that kind of stunned me. Not just that it seemed so accurate on an in depth level, but my mind was also just opened to the concept that some of these tests and studies Id historically roll my eyes at may actually have some scientific merit.

• Like 1

In regards to my relationship with you, I'll say these stand out as immediately accurate (I'm sure they all are).

Seriously.. I had the same reaction you did. The first and only non-bullshit assessment I ever took. Super interesting and makes me all introspective when I come across the results.

Took just the quick one I linked.. 8 years later now.. same results essentially. Great stuff...

This may not help at all but while you have seriously annoyed me at times for being rashly judgmental (not assuming it extends beyond this bored), I've also thought you seem like a genuinely good, honorable guy. Gut instinct here, though I cannot relate at all, says ride it out and you will be glad you did. You actually have a lot to be thankful for, it's the external world that is more questionable. The love language insight (doesn't take long), as cheesy as it sounds, may help in the marital department per what CB's saying.

With me, Acts Of Service scores highest and Recieving Gifts scores lowest by far. Examples in action: A few months back I was texting with my ex and talking about how overwhelmed I was with a long list of things I had to get done before a business trip, including cleaning my apartment up and doing laundry...That night I get home at about 9pm to see that my ex and daughter had come over and cleaned the entire place and done my laundry. I was so affected that I actually teared up for a moment at how much they care about me......Conversely, a girl I date casually (lives in Louisiana and I see her 4-5 times a year) shipped a package to my office for my birthday last month. I was so unaffected that I let it sit there for 3 days and only got around to opening it when she texted me about something else. I was very nice and told her how throughtul it was and how sweet of a person she is....but what I actually FELT was burdened by having to deal with it.

The mistake we tend to make...we tend to try and show our partners love by doing what makes us feel loved. I never really gave girls gifts because i dont associate them with feeling loved. Instead I think Im being way more loving by getting her car inspected. Then I get bothered about her not caring about that heart felt act of love because she just wants me to hold her hand when we walk downtown.

Its possible this whole Love Language thing is very commmon knowledge now and everyone has done it and Im out of date for thinking otherwise...but if not, then you should take a test and make your wife do the same. I actually feel like it would have potentially done wonders for my marriage.

:dunno:

My highest IIRC was Quality Time, and Acts of Service was almost right up with it, and then Physical Touch was moderately high. I was lowish on Words of Affirmation and really low on Gifts. Last Spring I had a guy I was seriously dating take it. His highest was Words of Affirmation. On the surface to me that sounds like a needy..bad one to have strongly. But I read a good article on it and was able to understand it separate from negative connotations. Him not seeming needy was solid indication that's not necessarily how it translates too.

We took it at the same time and there is a question for women, something along the lines of "what is more important.." and it was something objectively important (in my mind) OR 'tells me I'm beautiful.' I joked "tell me I'm beautiful" and from there on out he actually regularly did in different ways. Makes sense being that Words of Affirmation was his highest. We broke up, though neither of us emotionally wanted to, and one of the things he gave me a hard time about was being kind of shitty at Words of Affirmation especially because I had him take the test and knew it was his highest. We both knew our relationship had a serious impasse in it (shared the same social moors so that wasn't it) and breaking up was, just to be realistic, a strong possibility. So I in part held back some of the positive stuff in the moment that I could have told him because I figured my words would have had power, and it would make things harder in the end. Almost like protecting him by not saying everything emotionally relevant. There's more to this, but yeah, I can see how that test is really helpful. If we'd had the ability to be a couple it definitely showed me how to apply my love for him.