Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Musicals you actually enjoyed

Too political to enjoy it or too political to pay $500+ to see it?

My problem when it came thru Phoenix was the $500+. :thumbsup:

Too political to enjoy it or too political to pay $500+ to see it?

Both. Mostly the former.

I just can't justify paying $500+ to see a musical. That is why we continue to enter the Hamilton lottery. If you win, you get 2 tickets for $10 each for the following day's show. My kids (18 and 16) sat front row the Friday before Christmas for $20 total. We could not believe when my daughter texted the photo of where they were sitting. My wife and I took our 12-year-old to the movies in Times Square while they were at Hamilton, and it cost us 2x their cost. In case you are curious, Hamilton does the lottery in a way that prevents you from scalping the tickets.

Not sure what my limit would be for a great show. I paid $260 ($130/ticket) all in for DEH for my 16-y.o.'s birthday. That was the most I have ever paid for a show (big occasion justified it), but the show was so good that I immediately bought tickets for my wife and I to see it in July ($260 total again). Pretty much the same price as going to a big football game.

I guess that if Lin Manuel Miranda returned to the role of Hamilton for some limited time, the ticket price would skyrocket -- would be interesting to see.

Took my son to Book of Mormon last night, and he laughed his arse off. There were parents with a young girl, 12 at most, next to us. Don't know what they were thinking bringing their daughter to that show. The mom just started sinking into her seat during the initial dialogue between the Mormon elders and their initial missionary targets, and I thought she might leave a few minutes later when the cast sang Hasa Diga Eebowai. Couple in front of us were Mormons from Utah. The woman was laughing louder than anyone around us.

Thoughts on cats? They are playing here in my city in china. Ive never seen that one.

The girl has never been to a show like that. Thought she might enjoy it. Otherwise I wouldnt consider it. She freaking loved cirque du soleil last week.

Took my son to Book of Mormon last night, and he laughed his arse off. There were parents with a young girl, 12 at most, next to us. Don't know what they were thinking bringing their daughter to that show. The mom just started sinking into her seat during the initial dialogue between the Mormon elders and their initial missionary targets, and I thought she might leave a few minutes later when the cast sang Hasa Diga Eebowai. Couple in front of us were Mormons from Utah. The woman was laughing louder than anyone around us.

You'd think the parents would research just a tiny bit before spending the $$$.

Disappointed that there is no additional love for Dear Evan Hansen. I guess I am ahead of the curve on seeing that one. I find it hard to believe that people would see that show and NOT like it unless you need gargantuan production numbers to satisfy your musical taste.

Also, nobody here has seen Hamilton?

No, I really like DEH. Great music.

If I'm not mistaken, the same guys who wrote most of the music for Evan Hansen also did so for the greatest Showman.

I forgot to mention in my earlier review that I'm hella impressed with how the Mormons in general took that musical in stride. It's not exactly complimentary at times... :D

I forgot to mention in my earlier review that I'm hella impressed with how the Mormons in general took that musical in stride. It's not exactly complimentary at times... :D

True

Hamilton tickets in Chicago start at $120. Was thinking about taking the family during spring break.

Worth it?

Hamilton tickets in Chicago start at $120. Was thinking about taking the family during spring break.

Worth it?

I haven't seen it but hell yeah for $120 a ticket. Hard to believe they are available at that price. Here in Phoenix (well, technically Tempe) they were all scooped up by members and being scalped errr.... resold at $500+ each.

I haven't seen it but hell yeah for $120 a ticket. Hard to believe they are available at that price. Here in Phoenix (well, technically Tempe) they were all scooped up by members and being scalped errr.... resold at $500+ each.

Does that include a hummer with each ticket? I understand supply/demand, but is this show really that amazing? Honestly I don't know anything about Hamilton aside from the crazy hype -- can anyone enlighten me? And fock you in advance for anyone that says google it.

Probably crap seats. Looking into it further, the best I could find is $160 for a 2 pm Sat show.

I saw many other dates and times for $350 and up.

Does that include a hummer with each ticket? I understand supply/demand, but is this show really that amazing? Honestly I don't know anything about Hamilton aside from the crazy hype -- can anyone enlighten me? And fock you in advance for anyone that says google it.

Its a play about Alexander Hamilton where people sing cringey semi-rap songs about historical figures.

It's the hipster thing. My daughter who thought about majoring in musical theater loves the music in Hamilton; we looked into tix and they were $500+ on the resale market. We mutually decided that that was whack and got tix for Les Mis for 1/4 of the cost. :cheers:

It's the hipster thing. My daughter who thought about majoring in musical theater loves the music in Hamilton; we looked into tix and they were $500+ on the resale market. We mutually decided that that was whack and got tix for Les Mis for 1/4 of the cost. :cheers:

We got our tickets at face value, we did not get the cheapest tickets but they are not too far off. We paid 225 dollars a ticket to see Hamilton in May. We got lucky to get them at face value. My wife put in for them a year ago.

The most expensive tickets were 450 face value.

My wife's parents will be in town and it will be one of the only real dates my wife and I go on this year.