Sign in to follow this  
Cdub100

I'm not saying I'm the best BBQ/smoker around, but....

my first place plaques do!

This year I won 1st place in Chicken, 2nd place in wet and dry ribs. Which gave me 1st in best overall.

The best part was I beat guys with those big pull behind smokers. The same guys who laughed when I said I was using an old masterbuilt smoker and 20in webber grill.

I was also the last person to show up to the competition (I got more for that too)because I'm more a hot and fast guy than low and slow (I think both ways are fine if you do it right).

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Well done. I love competitions. Bigger smokers never make the ribs taste better. I use a Weber Smokey Mountain and ribs turn out fantastic.

I see what you did there. That's rare.

The grilling jokes are on fire!

Well done. I love competitions. Bigger smokers never make the ribs taste better. I use a Weber Smokey Mountain and ribs turn out fantastic.

Been looking to buy one of those. Do you recommend it?

Been looking to buy one of those. Do you recommend it?

Here's the newer model that I use: https://masterbuilt.com/product/20051311-30-vertical-propane-smoker-2/

Reasons I like it.

1. I can get to the fire and add more wood without opening the large door and letting all the heat and smoke out.

2. Multiple racks that I can move around. I've cooked a pork shoulder, ribs and chicken all at the same time.

3. cheap

4. If you don't want to use propane just put coals or wood on the bottom.

5. Easy to transport. It's relatively light and the handles on the side help. I might add wheels at some point.

6. Built in water tray to help control heat

7. The top is flat. Which means I can put trays and other items on it if you don't have a table nearby. Do not under estimate this.

I'd be interested in how you do your chicken Cdub. If it's not classified info that is.

I'd be interested in how you do your chicken Cdub. If it's not classified info that is.

I stole all my ways from BBQ grill masters and youtube clips. Also I'll give you my at home method because competition bbq has a bunch extra steps for presentation e.g. trimming, making a drumstick into a lollypop or using plastic wrap to get a nice uniform shape, taking the skin off and removing excess fat etc...

1. prep the chicken and use a liberal amount of dry rub you like. My rub is very basic so i suggest you add more or less of the following to taste for example I use more cayenne than the recipe suggests:

• 1/2 cup brown sugar.
  • 1/4 cup paprika.
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper.
  • 1 tablespoon salt.
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder.
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder.
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder.
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper.

2. Smoke the chicken at 240-260 for 1 hour. Being in Michigan I can get apple wood pretty easy so that is what I use, I've had success with other types of wood too.

3. prepare a butter bath in a aluminium pan. Which is pretty much melt 2-3 sticks of butter (depending on how much chicken and how big the pan is) pull the chicken and place it meat side down in the pan. Cover with aluminum foil and place on the top rack of the smoker for 15-30 minutes

4. Remove the chicken from the butter bath and coat it with your favorite bbq sauce. some people make their own, but I just combine two store brands (sweet and hot) and I add some of the chicken rub to the sauce.

5. Place the chicken back in the smoker (sans pan) for another 10-15 minutes coating every 5 minutes

6. By this time your chicken should be done, but always check it's fully cooked

7. serve that sh1t up and enjoy!!!

• Like 2

Oh and one last thing.

If you're looking. You ain't cooking!!!

Have a thermometer inside your smoker or grill (DO NOT TRUST THE ONE IT CAME WITH) I use this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Maverick-Digital-BBQ-Digital-Thermometer-Black-OT3BBQ/203762636?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|google|&mid=s0Uy95SLy|dc_mtid_890338a25189_pcrid_176899657641_pkw__pmt__product_203762636_slid_&gclid=CjwKEAjwse7JBRCJ576SqoD7lCkSJABF-bKucmJOKTQNsNxUZfhXaMH5vaprtTMIB5VRKMxj3PmnRRoCVyHw_wcB

I watch these guy open and close their grills every 10 minutes checking food temperature or just looking at it.. I keep a thermometer in the meat while cooking and the other (link above) monitoring internal grill temp. This way I don't lose heat or that wonderful smoke.

If you're opening your grill or smoker it better be for a good reason.

Oh and one last thing.

If you're looking. You ain't cooking!!!

Have a thermometer inside your smoker or grill (DO NOT TRUST THE ONE IT CAME WITH) I use this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Maverick-Digital-BBQ-Digital-Thermometer-Black-OT3BBQ/203762636?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|google|&mid=s0Uy95SLy|dc_mtid_890338a25189_pcrid_176899657641_pkw__pmt__product_203762636_slid_&gclid=CjwKEAjwse7JBRCJ576SqoD7lCkSJABF-bKucmJOKTQNsNxUZfhXaMH5vaprtTMIB5VRKMxj3PmnRRoCVyHw_wcB

I watch these guy open and close their grills every 10 minutes checking food temperature or just looking at it.. I keep a thermometer in the meat while cooking and the other (link above) monitoring internal grill temp. This way I don't lose heat or that wonderful smoke.

If you're opening your grill or smoker it better be for a good reason.

Thank you! I irritates me to see people constantly opening up their grill/smoker to check food every 10-15 minutes. Just keep an eye on the thermometer (like you said don't trust the one it came with. Buy your own) and you'll be good. Your food isn't going to burn within the next 10 minutes if you don't check on it. I've seen a lot of people lose the heat or the good smokey flavor by constantly opening it up

Thank you! I irritates me to see people constantly opening up their grill/smoker to check food every 10-15 minutes. Just keep an eye on the thermometer (like you said don't trust the one it came with. Buy your own) and you'll be good. Your food isn't going to burn within the next 10 minutes if you don't check on it. I've seen a lot of people lose the heat or the good smokey flavor by constantly opening it up

Bingo! During the competition when I opened my grill to sauce the ribs or chicken my temp dropped from 240 to 130ish. Not a huge deal but it takes time to build that up. Now do that every 10 minutes and you're going to have a problem.

That's probably why they put glass on some of these smokers now. People just can't help themselves.

Gas smoker?

Prefer wood and charcoal.

Also Megla to the white courtesy phone...

Gas smoker?

Prefer wood and charcoal.

Also Megla to the white courtesy phone...

What kind of assh0le would smoke their meat on a gas smoker?

What kind of assh0le would smoke their meat on a gas smoker?

I'm that kind of assh0le. Brah, I don't care if you're using propane, electric, natural gas, coals, wood Chunks, pellets, chips or whatever. I've used pretty much all of them and had a great product.

Sure you'll get different flavors, but in the end it's all about enjoying a meal you cooked. No need to be an elites about it or look down on someone else's set up.

I'm that kind of assh0le. Brah, I don't care if you're using propane, electric, natural gas, coals, wood Chunks, pellets, chips or whatever. I've used pretty much all of them and had a great product.

Sure you'll get different flavors, but in the end it's all about enjoying a meal you cooked. No need to be an elites about it or look down on someone else's set up.

Oh I didn't realize that was the type of smoker you were using. I say that because the gas usually affects the taste.

Oh I didn't realize that was the type of smoker you were using. I say that because the gas usually affects the taste.

You're right the gas will give it a different flavor. I have a propane smoker, but can use coals or propane in it.

This is just my experience, but older folks like coals and younger like propane. I'm guessing the older folks used coals while growing up and the younger are used to that propane tase.

Obviously propane is easier to work with, but I find coals and wood more challenging / more fun.

Thankfully our grill was natural gas growing up so I wasn't raised to be a coal snob. Give me ease over use over challenging for the sake of challenging most days. :cheers:

Thankfully our grill was natural gas growing up so I wasn't raised to be a coal snob. Give me ease over use over challenging for the sake of challenging most days. :cheers:

I don't think it's snobbish. If one doesn't grow up with propane then it's probably off putting to have that spent gas taste on food.

For grilling? Sure. For smoking...give me coal and wood.

I have never owned a smoker but what I have been doing lately is putting wood chips in a cast iron skillet on the lower rack in my gas grill and cooking the chicken in another on the top rack. The grill doesn't hold all the smoke in but definitely gives it a good flavor and cooking the chicken in the skillet seems to help keep it more moist.

I bought a weber smoky smoky mountain a while back and I wish I bought an electric smoker. Its a chore to smoke with charcoal

I have never owned a smoker but what I have been doing lately is putting wood chips in a cast iron skillet on the lower rack in my gas grill and cooking the chicken in another on the top rack. The grill doesn't hold all the smoke in but definitely gives it a good flavor and cooking the chicken in the skillet seems to help keep it more moist.

That's a good way to do it. For those with a regular old weber grill you can stack your cold coals to one side in a pyramid shape place 4 hot coals staggered along with wood chips. That'll give you lasting smoke and heat at around 240 for 3+ hours

Here's the newer model that I use: https://masterbuilt.com/product/20051311-30-vertical-propane-smoker-2/

Reasons I like it.

1. I can get to the fire and add more wood without opening the large door and letting all the heat and smoke out.

2. Multiple racks that I can move around. I've cooked a pork shoulder, ribs and chicken all at the same time.

3. cheap

4. If you don't want to use propane just put coals or wood on the bottom.

5. Easy to transport. It's relatively light and the handles on the side help. I might add wheels at some point.

6. Built in water tray to help control heat

7. The top is flat. Which means I can put trays and other items on it if you don't have a table nearby. Do not under estimate this.

Sweet, thank you! This pretty much seals it. Just need to build my built-in grill space.

What does everyone have on the grill today?

What does everyone have on the grill today?

I'm not sure I'll grill today. Yesterday I made some chicken breasts. Nothing fancy, just some Tony Chachere's seasoning and then bbq sauce.

There is a local guy who makes P&K bbq sauce. We sell it in the store. It comes in sweet or hot. The hot has some kick but I like the sweet quite a bit.

I bought a weber smoky smoky mountain a while back and I wish I bought an electric smoker. Its a chore to smoke with charcoal

Love my electric smoker. Set it and forget it.

This 4th of July I'm making pork belly burnt ends. YouTube it. :thumbsup:

Tuna steak...and some thick cut pork chops that are about to go in a marinade of soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar...and they will get pineapple juice for the last hour or so of it.

Corn on the cob in the grill too. Nothing all that crazy tonight.

I live out of a damn hotel. Soo.. someone's mom

Some hotels have grills. Just sayin

Tuna steak...and some thick cut pork chops that are about to go in a marinade of soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar...and they will get pineapple juice for the last hour or so of it.

Corn on the cob in the grill too. Nothing all that crazy tonight.

How do you grill your corn?

I've use foil, left in a husk and just plain old right on the grill.

Have done all those ways.

Usually in foil now. But more lazy...but it's so easy and is done just right that way. I take mine cob out the last little bit and get some char on it as I like mine that way.

I usually just use foil. Just make sure to apply a good amount of olive oil before wrapping the cob up.

Went over to a buddies yesterday afternoon, and he and another buddy were having a friendly little BBQ/Smoke off. I ate well.

I stole all my ways from BBQ grill masters and youtube clips. Also I'll give you my at home method because competition bbq has a bunch extra steps for presentation e.g. trimming, making a drumstick into a lollypop or using plastic wrap to get a nice uniform shape, taking the skin off and removing excess fat etc...

1. prep the chicken and use a liberal amount of dry rub you like. My rub is very basic so i suggest you add more or less of the following to taste for example I use more cayenne than the recipe suggests[/size]:

• 1/2 cup brown sugar.
  • 1/4 cup paprika.
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper.
  • 1 tablespoon salt.
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder.
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder.
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder.
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper.

2. Smoke the chicken at 240-260 for 1 hour. Being in Michigan I can get apple wood pretty easy so that is what I use, I've had success with other types of wood too.

3. prepare a butter bath in a aluminium pan. Which is pretty much melt 2-3 sticks of butter (depending on how much chicken and how big the pan is) pull the chicken and place it meat side down in the pan. Cover with aluminum foil and place on the top rack of the smoker for 15-30 minutes

4. Remove the chicken from the butter bath and coat it with your favorite bbq sauce. some people make their own, but I just combine two store brands (sweet and hot) and I add some of the chicken rub to the sauce.

5. Place the chicken back in the smoker (sans pan) for another 10-15 minutes coating every 5 minutes

6. By this time your chicken should be done, but always check it's fully cooked

7. serve that sh1t up and enjoy!!!

I really want to do this. The cook time seems short for the temp. Can you confirm total cook time is between 1.25 and 1.75 hours at a temp of 240-260?

Thanks man.

I really want to do this. The cook time seems short for the temp. Can you confirm total cook time is between 1.25 and 1.75 hours at a temp of 240-260?

Thanks man.

Yes takes about 1.5-1.75 hours at that temp. If you're working with really cold or frozen chicken it could take longer As I said in step 6 check to make sure it's fully cooked.

Also not sure if I was clear but this is not a whole chicken. These are legs, breast and thighs

Yes takes about 1.5-1.75 hours at that temp. If you're working with really cold or frozen chicken it could take longer As I said in step 6 check to make sure it's fully cooked.

Also not sure if I was clear but this is not a whole chicken. These are legs, breast and thighs

I've got it going right now. 45 min to the first hour. Tell more about this butter bath. I've got the rest down, but a butter bath is new hews to me.