Sign in to follow this  
ST_Pete

Julio Jones or Percy Harvin

I know there are a lot of folks on this bored that are in love with Julio Jones (I am as well), but dare I say that there is another WR that folks are overlooking that has as much upside as Julio that can be had 2 rounds later?!?

I speak of Percy Harvin. The hype surrounding Julio is atleast partially attributable to his blow up over the last five games (24/461/6). I will admit those are some pretty gawdy stats. However, there was another WR that put up similar numbers over that same period that can be had at a much cheaper price. Over the same five game stretch, here are Harvin's numbers: (36/413/4) plus 111 rushing yards and a TD. In other words, Harvin outscored Julio over that period.

I know I am likely to get stoned for saying this with as much love Julio has been getting on these boreds lately, but I think Percy might be the better WR to own this year for the price tag. Also, Harvin often gets labelled as an injury risk (I think unfairly). However, Julio has a history of injuries going back to Alabama: broken hand, fractured wrist, shoulder sprain, and pulled groins.

So, what do you guys think?

I don't know which is better honestly. I can see your point. In my draft I was targeting Julio, but I knew everyone else was as well so I didn't get my hopes up. After Julio, Percy was the guy I was targeting. I saw upside with not all that much downside and I took him.

I prefer Julio over Harvin. I'm projecting Harvin to be a top 8 WR but I'm anticipating Julio being a top 3. Julio will have opportunity to score more TD's. Harvin is a threat in three different aspects: receiving, running, and returning. He also carries more injury risk and has history of migraine issues that appear to be under control. I think it's a no brainer with Julio's size. Dude started to showcase what he could do at end of season and I'm expecting it to carry over this year.

Harvin could be had 2-3 rounds later.

I like his upside too but Julio's potential is off the charts.

Yea, I was gonna say, why not both?

I prefer Julio over Harvin. I'm projecting Harvin to be a top 8 WR but I'm anticipating Julio being a top 3. Julio will have opportunity to score more TD's. Harvin is a threat in three different aspects: receiving, running, and returning. He also carries more injury risk and has history of migraine issues that appear to be under control. I think it's a no brainer with Julio's size. Dude started to showcase what he could do at end of season and I'm expecting it to carry over this year.

Harvin has missed 3 games in 3 years... Julio missed 3 games LAST year! :doh:

And who is more of an injury risk? :blink:

Yea, I was gonna say, why not both?

Usually if i take a WR early, i don't take my 2nd WR until round 7+ so i could get Gronk and load up on RBs.

M. Floyd. Nate Washington. :thumbsup:

LOVE them both, draft them both.

That being said, anybody else think a 2nd round draft pick for a guy who hasn't even proven he can stay healthy an entire season, much less produce at an elite level for all 16 games is a bit of a stretch? I want Julio on my team this year badly, but drafting him ahead of guys who have proven themselves is a bit hard to swallow.

Julio by a mile. Minnesota's O is a mess and Harvin has the migraine issues. Julio IMO has the most potential at WR of anyone not named Megatron. While Julio may be a little injury prone too I don't think he'll miss much time. Plus he'll put up some monster games. Julio all the way!!

While Julio may be a little injury prone too I don't think he'll miss much time.

If polecatt says it, it must be true!

I know there are a lot of folks on this bored that are in love with Julio Jones (I am as well), but dare I say that there is another WR that folks are overlooking that has as much upside as Julio that can be had 2 rounds later?!?

I speak of Percy Harvin. The hype surrounding Julio is atleast partially attributable to his blow up over the last five games (24/461/6). I will admit those are some pretty gawdy stats. However, there was another WR that put up similar numbers over that same period that can be had at a much cheaper price. Over the same five game stretch, here are Harvin's numbers: (36/413/4) plus 111 rushing yards and a TD. In other words, Harvin outscored Julio over that period.

I know I am likely to get stoned for saying this with as much love Julio has been getting on these boreds lately, but I think Percy might be the better WR to own this year for the price tag. Also, Harvin often gets labelled as an injury risk (I think unfairly). However, Julio has a history of injuries going back to Alabama: broken hand, fractured wrist, shoulder sprain, and pulled groins.

In my draft I just completed I drafted both in ppr format. Pair them up with Brady, Gates, and Sproles in 6 pt per passing TD, fantasy gold.

Harvin has missed 3 games in 3 years... Julio missed 3 games LAST year! :doh:

And who is more of an injury risk? :blink:

Never said Julio wasn't injured. Just stating a simple fact that Harvin has history of issues dealing with migraines and if he's returning punts theres a greater likely hood he could get hurt.

If polecatt says it, it must be true!

:cheers:

Julio simply has the better offense around him, the better QB at this point and the better team in general. with ADP gimpy, minnesota might be in for a rough time.

that said, I love Harvin as a WR2 but given the choice, I will take Julio

I like both, but I'd take Julio. Julio looks like hes in beastmode!

Great post and probably why I wont own Julio, because I think they are very close once you add in Harvins rushing yards, and you can get him two rounds later

Great post and probably why I wont own Julio, because I think they are very close once you add in Harvins rushing yards, and you can get him two rounds later

There 2 aren't even on the same planet IMO.

I think the only thing that can stop Julio from rivaling Megatron this year is injury. Since I'm not in the business of prognosticating injuries I'm just going to go ahead and state Julio is first round worthy.

We're talking about a late 1st, early 2nd round pick vs a guy who goes in the 4th/5th round. There's a reason Harvin is going 2 rounds later. I like both of these guys to be honest....but I'm EXTREMELY high on Julio this year.

Reasons why I think they are several tiers apart.

1) Matt Ryan > Christian Ponder

2) Defensive Gameplans vs White, Jones, Gonzalez or vs Harvin, Simpson Rudolph (Easier to take Harvin away from the offense than Jones)

3) Offensive Philosophy - I think ATL opens it up more this year, while Minny remains fairly conservative as Ponder continues to mature

I bought into Percy Harvin last year, and he burned me pretty good for the first half of the season for two leagues.

I'll take him if he's available for my 3rd WR, but I'm definitely not targeting him as my #1 unless I have an unbelievable RB core.

Harvin proved he can go 10 games and deliver nothing.

DND list for me. Screw that guy.

There 2 aren't even on the same planet IMO.

I think the only thing that can stop Julio from rivaling Megatron this year is injury. Since I'm not in the business of prognosticating injuries I'm just going to go ahead and state Julio is first round worthy.

We're talking about a late 1st, early 2nd round pick vs a guy who goes in the 4th/5th round. There's a reason Harvin is going 2 rounds later. I like both of these guys to be honest....but I'm EXTREMELY high on Julio this year.

You missed the point. Julio doesnt get 40 carries for 5 yards a piece. That make Harvin just about equal from a fantasy perspective.

you can have both based on their ADP's but I prefer Harvin big time. He's got the ability to take over a game, and will see more rushing attempts than usual especially early on.