Sign in to follow this  
Franknbeans

Name a Recording Artist and exact point in their career they

Twisted Sister ~ Stay Hungry

No way, it was the one after, "Come Out and Play" that jumped. Stay Hungry was solid throughout, even with the 2 huge MTV video songs:

"Stay Hungry"

"We're Not Gonna Take It"

"Burn In Hell"

"Horror-Teria (The Beginning) / Street Justice"

"I Wanna Rock"

"The Price"

"Don't Let Me Down"

"The Beast"

"S.M.F."

No way, it was the one after, "Come Out and Play" that jumped. Stay Hungry was solid throughout, even with the 2 huge MTV video songs:

"Stay Hungry"

"Burn In Hell"

"I Wanna Rock"

"The Price"

"Don't Let Me Down"

"The Beast"

"S.M.F."

Was that the crap they had with Leader of the Pack on it?

Was that the crap they had with Leader of the Pack on it?

Yeah.

International fame for the group came when the band's third L.P. Stay Hungry hit the stores in 1984. With the videos of hit singles "I Wanna Rock" and especially "We're Not Gonna Take It" (#21 in U.S.), a song that took Dee Snider three years to write, running constantly on MTV, the album sold over 2 million copies by the summer of 1985, and went on to sell over 3 million in subsequent years. It still remains as the band's biggest success and is considered a classic among heavy metal fans. During the very successful tour, they were supported by the young Metallica....

The band's fourth L.P. Come Out and Play (1985), produced by Dieter Dierks, was not nearly as successful as its predecessor, although it did earn the band gold albums for sales of 500,000 copies. It was one of the first CDs to go out of print. The failure was partly due to MTV banning the "Be Chrool To Your Scuel" video, on the grounds that it was offensive. The song featured such guests as Alice Cooper (who also featured on the video), Brian Setzer, Billy Joel and many others.

Nevertheless, the tour for supporting the album was a near fiasco with cancelled dates and low attendances. Not even Atlantic's re-release of the remixed Under the Blade helped the band recover its popularity.

"Stay Hungry"

"Burn In Hell"

"I Wanna Rock"

"The Price"

"Don't Let Me Down"

"The Beast"

"S.M.F."

way too commercial, I enjoyed "You cant stop rock and roll" album, much much more

way too commercial, I enjoyed "You cant stop rock and roll" album, much much more

Not saying it wasn't more commercial, but for "Jump the Shark" it's got to be "Come Out and Play"...I liked their first three albums:

Under the Blade – 1982

You Can't Stop Rock'n'Roll – 1983

Stay Hungry – 1984

But with Come/Play they turned into a complete joke.

Now i'm gonna be honest here, i really like touch of grey...

i'd have to say that one of the biggest sellout bands was aerosmith in the 80s, then in the 90s, and continuing today... you know when you've hit 3 decades of selling out that's pretty low...

as for biggest punk band sell out (and there are many.) I'd have to go with offspring when they released that CD with "pretty fly for a white guy" on it, and "why don't you get a job" they've been making bad music since.

Now i'm gonna be honest here, i really like touch of grey...

I liked it as well, though it was its very similar to Bertha. What that song did though was ruin the scene at the shows :(

The correct answer is Music From The Elder

That was a concept album that was ahead of its time then. I agree, commercially it sucked; but conceptually it was a different story.

That was a concept album that was ahead of its time then. I agree, commercially it sucked; but conceptually it was a different story.

Perhaps, but KISS is a basic Rock and Roll band dressed up to the nines, with some fireworks and blood added in. With the Elder, they tried to be something they were not, continuing the trend that started with Dynasty. While the songwriting may have been good, it was not expected or embraced by their fans. Add to it the fact that Peter Criss was now out of the band and it was also the beginning of the end for Ace Frehley being in the band. But when you think about it, KISS may have "jumped the shark" more than any band in history:

Kiss Meets the Phantom

The Solo Albums

Dynasty (The "disco" years)

The Elder

Taking off the makeup.

Animalize (Hairband/pastel clothes years)

Putting the makeup back on

I may have miss one or two other jumps.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big KISS fan, esp. the early stuff, but KISS may have done more with less than any band out there. :P

Phil Collins' sell-out started with Genesis' first album without Gabriel. I just can't believe they managed to have as long a career after they became a wedding band.

The band Berlin: When they released "Take My Breath Away".

They not only jumped the shark, they impaled themselves on the shark's fin. I'm sure they made a lot of money from that tripe, but they completely ruined any reputation they had. Notice they didn't do jack after that? The reason was that the kids didn't think they were cool enough anymore, and their "regular" music wasn't a style that was of interest to the older folks.

Van Halen & Sammy Hagar :dunno:

I would have to disagree. The "jump the shark" saying implies that they're on the downward slide. Whether you like VH with Sammy or not, you have to agree that they sold a LOT of albums with him. I would say it can't be argued that VH jumped when they hired Gary Cherone to be the lead singer. I'm a huge Eddie Van Halen fan, and therefore don't usually care who is singing in front of him, but I can't even listen to that steaming pile of crap they released with Cherone. I bought the album but still haven't listened all the way through.

Group: Hall and Oates

Year: 1982

Song: Private Eyes

Place: Mixing Room

Event: Adding the hand claps in the chorus.

These guys did Sara Smile and Rich Girl, for crying out loud. :(

:) :clap: :first:

David Bowie: Let's Dance

No, you can not jump the shark with Stevie Ray Vaughan playing guitar on your album. :thumbsup:

1. Paul McCartney: "Silly Love Songs"

2. Van Halen: Addition of Sammy Hagar and Scmaltzy tunes like "Dreams"

3. The Clash: Combat Rock

4. Led Zeppelin: The Rain Song/Filming of the horrific "song Remains the Same"

5. Rod Stewart: Do you think i am Sexy? (leaving the Faces and/or Jeff Beck Group)

6. The Eagles: Hotel California.

7. Fleetwood Mac: Tusk

8. Beatles: Magical Mystery Tour

9. MC Hammer: Too Legit 2 Quit

10. u2: POP

Why are some of you hating on Sammy?

They focked it up when Gary Sherrard (sp?) joined..

I liked the direction Eddy went with the guitar after Sammy joined.

To each there own, I guess...

Why are some of you hating on Sammy?

They focked it up when Gary Sherrard (sp?) joined..

I liked the direction Eddy went with the guitar after Sammy joined.

To each there own, I guess...

Cherone

5. Rod Stewart: Do you think i am Sexy? (leaving the Faces and/or Jeff Beck Group)

I agree with many of these, however, Silly Love Songs shouldn't be on the list.

Was it corny and trite? Absolutely. What needs to be understood is the circumsatnces behind the song.

In an interview given while McCartney was writing his album, John Lennon was asked if he was envious of McCartney's chart success since the Beatles breakup. Lennon tried to discount his popularity by saying, (and I paraphrase) "why should I care. All he's doing is writing silly love songs".

McCartney did a perfect "in your face" by writing a song called "Silly Love Songs" and forcing Lennon to watch it go to number one.

Please explain!

Kiss Meets the Phantom

The Solo Albums

Dynasty (The "disco" years)

The Elder

Taking off the makeup.

Animalize (Hairband/pastel clothes years)

Putting the makeup back on

I may have miss one or two other jumps.

As further evidence of bad blood within the band, fans point to an October 31, 1979 interview of the band (in full make-up and costume) on Tom Snyder's late night The Tomorrow Show, where a visibly irritated Simmons and Stanley, as well as a bored Criss, all but walk out on a bombastic Frehley, whose infectious but over-the-top laughter overshadow the content and conversation that takes place between harried interviewer Snyder and the rest of the band. This offbeat interview, where KISS looked completely uncomfortable together, would prove to be the last appearance the original line-up of KISS would make on television for almost twenty years.

Jefferson Starship - We Built this City

They jumped loooong before that, I'm guessing when Jorma jumped ship the band jumped the shark!

Michael Bolton, when he cut the mullet. :unsure:

The Sex Pistols when they agreed to play Trump Marina during their comeback tour.

Hypocritical given their anti-corporate, structure, etc... And as much as I like the idea of a tour, no Sid (he was worthless anyway, but so was Linda McCartney, kinda like letting Fonzie play Bongos in the band)

But the cool thing about the Pistols after the years was the legend, and the path of "anarchy" that they paved.

Trump Marina. I can picture Donald in the pit - with that hairplug helmet of his. :unsure:

Yeah, it was all down hill after Magical Mystery Tour. White Album B) Abbey Road :huh: Let It Be :thumbsdown:

:rolleyes:

Beatles broke up long before they could ever jump the shark.

They jumped loooong before that, I'm guessing when Jorma jumped ship the band jumped the shark!

yeah, but you're old :thumbsdown:

Metallica-Enter Sandman

Metallica's "prime" was well before my time, but, i thought this was a kick ass song, one of my favorites from them actually.

You must be one of the many who think that Jefferson Starship started sucking the minute Mickey Thomas took over the vocals.

I think they had quite a few good songs with Thomas on board. Jane, Find Your Way Back, and Be My Lady to name a few.

I certainly won't argue that they turned to crap after We Built This City.

As further evidence of bad blood within the band, fans point to an October 31, 1979 interview of the band (in full make-up and costume) on Tom Snyder's late night The Tomorrow Show, where a visibly irritated Simmons and Stanley, as well as a bored Criss, all but walk out on a bombastic Frehley, whose infectious but over-the-top laughter overshadow the content and conversation that takes place between harried interviewer Snyder and the rest of the band. This offbeat interview, where KISS looked completely uncomfortable together, would prove to be the last appearance the original line-up of KISS would make on television for almost twenty years.

Probably one of the best moments in their history. Gene and Paul had no control over the situation. Ace was completely drunk and he and Snyder kept the show running while Gene and Paul just looked on all agitated. I wouldnt say Peter was bored during the interview but Gene and Paul were pretty PO'd that Ace was stealing the show from them.