Sign in to follow this  
Meglamaniac

LCD vs Plasma

and which would you buy?

I have a LCD at home...and a Plasma in my editing suite at work.

Plasma gets more hype because they had the best picture first.

But LCD's pictures are now just as good. LCD's are cheaper....and Plasma's suffer from picture burn, thus often have a shorter shelf life.

my 2 cents.

I have a LCD at home...and a Plasma in my editing suite at work.

Plasma gets more hype because they had the best picture first.

But LCD's pictures are now just as good. LCD's are cheaper....and Plasma's suffer from picture burn, thus often have a shorter shelf life.

my 2 cents.

Are there any negatives to the LCD? :huh:

Actually, plasmas currently have a better picture and they are cheaper. Plasmas can produce better blacks than LCDs, although the gap is closing. Plasma burn in and lifespan is much less of an issue with the new models.

I bought an LCD because

1) At the time it was the only screen producing 1080p

2) the screen is non reflective and the room it's in gets alot of sunlight, the plasma screen has a glare

3) LCD screen is cool to touch, plasmas can run hot and have noisy fans

4) The ability to watch 4x3 TV without being stretched, you can't do this on a plasma.

5) I just like the picture on an LCD better than a plasma overall. I wish the LCD could do black better, but I still love the natural look of the picture.

:huh:

Actually, plasmas currently have a better picture and they are cheaper. Plasmas can produce better blacks than LCDs, although the gap is closing. Plasma burn in and lifespan is much less of an issue with the new models.

I bought an LCD because

1) At the time it was the only screen producing 1080p

2) the screen is non reflective and the room it's in gets alot of sunlight, the plasma screen has a glare

3) LCD screen is cool to touch, plasmas can run hot and have noisy fans

4) The ability to watch 4x3 TV without being stretched, you can't do this on a plasma.

5) I just like the picture on an LCD better than a plasma overall. I wish the LCD could do black better, but I still love the natural look of the picture.

:huh:

Based on the current status of the technology would you still go LCD over Plasma?

Would you assert that LCD is "taking over" or are the two still pretty competitive.

I would like to purchase one next year, would rather go with the cheaper one......

Based on the current status of the technology would you still go LCD over Plasma?

Would you assert that LCD is "taking over" or are the two still pretty competitive.

I would like to purchase one next year, would rather go with the cheaper one......

LCD is taking over the market. The prices of LCD sets have come down like crazy over the past few years. By next year, a 42" LCD might be cheaper than a 42" plasma.

LCD is taking over the market. The prices of LCD sets have come down like crazy over the past few years. By next year, a 42" LCD might be cheaper than a 42" plasma.

I think I will stick with the LCD, I am not that big on screen quality, and I am sure the LCD picture is great. Lower price = :banana:

Glad you asked this, because I was close to doing the same. I was going to do a search too, because I think this topic has been talked about numerous times before.

But in any case, how are LCD's and Plasmas at handling movement? I know that the LCD can get a little grainy, especially with non-HD programs, concerning movement and darker colors.

would buy neither - DLP is the way to go. got a 46" myself w/surround sound and it rocks. :(

I can admit I was wrong about HD TVs. Since I got mine, I only watch the channels that offer HD.

would buy neither - DLP is the way to go. got a 46" myself w/surround sound and it rocks. :(

:lol:

DLP.......grat, anothe choice :clap:

Glad you asked this, because I was close to doing the same. I was going to do a search too, because I think this topic has been talked about numerous times before.

But in any case, how are LCD's and Plasmas at handling movement? I know that the LCD can get a little grainy, especially with non-HD programs, concerning movement and darker colors.

The newest LCD's handle movement just fine, it's the older ones that had the problem.

Also RLLD, if you don't care about picture quality, just go to Walmart or a garage sale and get the cheapest TV they have, or I have some old TVs I can give you.

LCD's suffer from blurring of images over time, extreme glare with increasing light, blacks aren't as black as a Plasma, screen door effect, burnt pixels, colors aren't as rich and don't seem natural, not as wide a viewable angle range, response times are still pretty slow. LCD is still a very overrated technology. The picture quality of the LCD is still not as good as Plasma, and neither comes anywhere near the SXRD LCoS or new Samsung sets. DLP and other reflective technologies are the way to go.

The newest LCD's handle movement just fine, it's the older ones that had the problem.

Also RLLD, if you don't care about picture quality, just go to Walmart or a garage sale and get the cheapest TV they have, or I have some old TVs I can give you.

Its not that I dont care, or I would do just that. But unless the difference between the Plasma and LCD is substnatial and tangible, I would likely defer to the less expensive technology. Is there ANY chance that ANY of these products are American-made :banana:

LCD's suffer from blurring of images over time, extreme glare with increasing light, blacks aren't as black as a Plasma, screen door effect, burnt pixels, colors aren't as rich and don't seem natural, not as wide a viewable angle range, response times are still pretty slow. LCD is still a very overrated technology. The picture quality of the LCD is still not as good as Plasma, and neither comes anywhere near the SXRD LCoS or new Samsung sets. DLP and other reflective technologies are the way to go.

Geez...DLP is sounding better and better, is the cost comprable?

Its not that I dont care, or I would do just that. But unless the difference between the Plasma and LCD is substnatial and tangible, I would likely defer to the less expensive technology. Is there ANY chance that ANY of these products are American-made :first:

Geez...DLP is sounding better and better, is the cost comprable?

DLP is cheaper. Take a hard look at the Sony SXRD. Prices have come down considerably. About $1,000 less than when I bought mine 6 months ago. There are likely better sets out there now (although I've looked, but haven't found one) but you're going to pay a lot. You can get a 50" SXRD for around $2,600 at last check. The 60" are in the $3,500 range if I recall. Well worth the coin. A lot of my friends have nice HD sets but they literally can't stop talking about how awesome the picture on the SXRD is. I have a 42" XBR in my bedroom and the SXRD makes that look like an EDTV.

There is no way a DLP set produces a better picture quality than a flat panel display, either plasma or LCD.

There is no way a DLP set produces a better picture quality than a flat panel display, either plasma or LCD.

I'll take DLP over LCD any day. The refresh rates are faster. If you watch sports, DLP is a superior technology. Plasma provides a better picture than most DLP sets, but DLP is ever improving. I probably use the term DLP a little loosely. I'm talking about reflective technology in general being superior to LCD and Plasma (both in terms of picture AND reliability).

The Sony SXRD which utilizes liquid crystal on silicon technology is better than ANY Plasma or LCD set out there. And it's not even close.

I'll take DLP over LCD any day. The refresh rates are faster. If you watch sports, DLP is a superior technology. Plasma provides a better picture than most DLP sets, but DLP is ever improving. I probably use the term DLP a little loosely. I'm talking about reflective technology in general being superior to LCD and Plasma (both in terms of picture AND reliability).

The Sony SXRD which utilizes liquid crystal on silicon technology is better than ANY Plasma or LCD set out there. And it's not even close.

Couldn't disagree more.

I have yet to see the sxrd rear projection so I can't comment on that. But a panasonic plasma or Aquos LCD is far superior to any other DLP rear projection set.

I have a 52 inch Mitsubishi projection w/ HD (I don't know what LCD is, so I don't know if it is one). It might be a DLP, it's one of those three letter combos. It was the floor model so I got $800 off. It is a fraction of the weight of a plasma, only 100 pounds, so it's easy to lift with two people. Plasma's use 4 times the energy as projection tvs. Plasma's can develop lines that run up and down the screen affecting the picture whereas projections can have cells that burnout. Projections also produce a fraction of the heat that a plasma does. You can't tip a plasma on its side or transport it any way other than vertically, it's natural position. My projection isn't some big honking thing, its 39 inches tall and 18 inches deep, with 52 inch screen, takes up as much room as a plasma. Only think I have to work about is the lamp burning out (got the warranty). Good product, sharp picture - saw it side by side with a plasma in HD and no difference, I recommend it.

Couldn't disagree more.

I have yet to see the sxrd rear projection so I can't comment on that. But a panasonic plasma or Aquos LCD is far superior to any other DLP rear projection set.

Panasonic is the beacon for plasmas, and the Aquos LCD is a fine television (albeit vastly overrated IMO). What DLP sets are you making your comments on? The 3-chip sets and ones with faster spinning color wheels look awesome. Overpriced, but awesome. Rainbow effect in these sets is essentially nonexistant and with faster refresh rates, they become a better option than LCDs when watching sports. Biggest problem with DLPs before was rainbowing fastmoving objects on dark backgrounds.

Given that you haven't checked out the SXRD, maybe you haven't taken a look at the new HD sets in general? Both LCD and DLP have made strides in the last year or so. The end result is that Plasma appears to be the loser in the standards battle and will become obsolete soon enough, which is another reason not to get a Plasma. In any case, you should really check out the SXRD. It's a hybrid which essentially combines the best of LCD and DLP technology. No screen door effect on a 50" set from 6' away. Unheard of. As my eyes have become more acute, I do sometimes see a faint crystal-like glare (can't remember technical term for it) but nobody else can see it.

Couldn't disagree more.

You both bring up some good points.

I found THIS SITE which seems to do a good job comparing the two.

I must admit, I would likely lean toward LCD. While they DO have a life expectancy, it is longer than Plasma, and by the time the picture goes south I will want to invest in a newer technology anyway.

I must admit, I would likely lean toward LCD. While they DO have a life expectancy, it is longer than Plasma, and by the time the picture goes south I will want to invest in a newer technology anyway.

You can replace the bulb on an LCD set.

You can replace the bulb on an LCD set.

I was sorta interested in that aspect, but as I thought about it I felt that I might just invest in the latest and greatest, providing what ever that technology is it isnt in that super high-priced range, like plasma when it first came out. In that kind of scenerio it makes more sense to replace the LCD components.

The article also mentions some size considerations with regard to picture quality, is that still an issue?

The information on that site is weak and outdated. They rank the a 1080i Sony projection TV higher than the 1080p SXRD. Even the staunchest critics of the SXRD will call BS on that.

I almost guarantee that article was written before 1080p DLPs were released to the market based on some of the comments on DLP there.

Check out the HDTV forums.

Will do :cry:

Is it true that you can't watch LCD Tvs in any light??? If so, that is a bigtime negative.

opposite. You can watch an LCD TV in direct sunlight, you can't do that with any other TV.

The information on that site is weak and outdated. They rank the a 1080i Sony projection TV higher than the 1080p SXRD. Even the staunchest critics of the SXRD will call BS on that.

I almost guarantee that article was written before 1080p DLPs were released to the market based on some of the comments on DLP there.

You are correct, the information is old, as it states that DLP has only a 1000 to 1 contrast ratio, new DLP's are in the 10,000 to 1.

As an example, my company just today got a top of the line production model HD LCD for video work, first thing I noticed was the black levels being flat. Now understand that I do this for a living and it's my business to note stuff like that. It's a bit more striking because the current project on working on has a lot of black graphics were chosen even before the choice of shooting high-def was made.

All being said, even if DLP doesn't produce the best picture today(I find that hard to believe), it's the technology with the highest top end right now. I'm currently in the market and I'll probably end up with DLP...

opposite. You can watch an LCD TV in direct sunlight, you can't do that with any other TV.

That is a HUGE plus.... :thumbsdown:

Last December I was researching the same thing for my newly finised basement. It came down to the newest 60'' SONY LCD (Can't remember the number) or the 56" Mitsubishi DLP. They were side by side at the store with the same football game on. The Sony was a couple hundred more than the DLP. Went with the Sony mainly because it seemed less can go wrong than with the DLP. Also, we have had good luck with Sony in the past and the picture was a tad brighter, which I liked. Pictures were very comparable and I would have been happy with either set. Thought the DLP had a little extra trailing picture with real fast movement on the screen. Not too big a deal, but... Ended up with the Sony and am very happy.

Non-HD programs are not that good to watch on any of them (Plasma, LCD or DLP), in my opinion.

Last December I was researching the same thing for my newly finised basement. It came down to the newest 60'' SONY LCD (Can't remember the number) or the 56" Mitsubishi DLP. They were side by side at the store with the same football game on. The Sony was a couple hundred more than the DLP. Went with the Sony mainly because it seemed less can go wrong than with the DLP. Also, we have had good luck with Sony in the past and the picture was a tad brighter, which I liked. Pictures were very comparable and I would have been happy with either set. Thought the DLP had a little extra trailing picture with real fast movement on the screen. Not too big a deal, but... Ended up with the Sony and am very happy.

Non-HD programs are not that good to watch on any of them (Plasma, LCD or DLP), in my opinion.

The "trailing" probably wouldn't be a factor anymore as most DLP's are producing color wheels that move quite a bit faster then they did a year ago.

The SXRD that a few members here are so high on, doesn't even use color wheels, but a different brand of the technology.

Sony

You can do it with DLP also...

Gutter is now starting to talk out of his ass.

the screen on the lcd is better.

Talk about talking out your ass, how is curlynight?

the screen on the lcd is better.

Talk about talking out your ass, how is curlynight?

Gutterboy,

no offense, but I just 4 weeks researching this...along with a degree in television production.

you are talking out of your ass, your opinion on picture quality carries absolutely no weight with me.

A big problem with LCD is viewing angle.

With a lot of them, it looks great if you sit in exactly the right spot.

Sit 30 degrees off center, however, and it's pretty poor.

The problem with plasma, I believe, is durability.

Yeah, they are all pretty focking good. I have a panasonic plasma and it's focking sweet. If that thing dies before I want to replace it, I'd be surprised as hell.

Also, trusting snoopy's opinion on just about anything is pretty focking stupid. He's got way too much time to make up cool stories.

Yeah, they are all pretty focking good. I have a panasonic plasma and it's focking sweet. If that thing dies before I want to replace it, I'd be surprised as hell.

Also, trusting snoopy's opinion on just about anything is pretty focking stupid. He's got way too much time to make up cool stories.

:pointstosky:

Must be it, I've been making up that I'm a television editor for 4 years..

:dunno:

Must be it, I've been making up that I'm a television editor for 4 years..

How would I know what you do, other than make up cool stories? :D