Sign in to follow this  
davebg

So, Mrs. DaveBG was on a flight to CA and witnessed a pre-flight altercation

It wasn't a fist fight or anything like that.

The woman in the next row was some sort of crapper busting fatty...although, Mrs. DaveBG did say she wasn't a land monster, per se, she did spill into the seat next to her.

Well, when the woman who was booked in the seat next to the CBF showed up she made a big, loud stink...complaing "how am I supposed to sit there" yadda yadda yadda.

The CBF was like, "I called the airline and they told me as long as I could put the armrest down I wouldn't have to pay for a 2nd ticket."

Meanwhile, the complainer was being even louder and mean. When someone came frpm the gate and told the CBF that she'd have to pay for a 2nd ticket or leave the plane she started to cry.

Eventually, the complainer got another seat, the CBF stayed on the plane w/out paying for a 2nd ticket (we think.)

So, let's discuss...

While I think the complainer was right in that she shouldn't have to be made even more uncomfotable for a long flight (those seats are small enough w/out having some fatass spilling into your space), she could (and should) have been a little more discreet. Then again, the CBF was clearly more concerned about whether or not she'd have to pay for a 2nd ticket, rather than how she was effecting the person who'd be sitting next to her, so maybe some public humiliation was deserved.

Finally, I think that the airlines definitely need to do something about this. If they're going to be a stickler about the size & weight of my luggage, then they should apply the same type of financial penalties to people who exceed a specified body mass limit.

Ready? GO!

While I think the complainer was right in that she shouldn't have to be made even more uncomfotable for a long flight (those seats are small enough w/out having some fatass spilling into your space), she could (and should) have been a little more discreet.

LA to NY/NJ flight? No one in NY/NJ or LA knows how to be discrete. Yes, the fatty should have to pay or the airline should have to give the passenger another seat. A traveler should not have to endure undue encroachment on their travel space. The seats are cramped enough as it is. Not to mention that fact that obese people typically smell.

I feel bad that the lady is fat, and as much as she wants people to be sensitive to her needs, she needs to be sensitive to others'.

What did you blame Mrs. DaveBg for when she got home?

It was her fault for taking the flight?

It was her fault the lady was fat?

It was her fault that the airlines don't enforce a more "Buy a 2nd Ticket" rule for CBFs?

It was her fault that the airlines don't enforce a more "Buy a 2nd Ticket" rule for CBFs?

Stop that nagging!

Sounds to me the whole thing was handled fine. One person complains and they found her a new seat. What's the problem?

It's not fatty's fault they didn't charge her. I wouldn't pay double if I didn't have to. She buys a ticket, shows up, and sits in her seat. No problem with this person. I have no problem with complainer either, although tact would've been better. I have no problem with the airline either. You can't just make the seats bigger, decreasing profitabililty, because 1 in 10,000 people are too big.

:)

I was just talking to my friend's dad about something like this: he is a salesman and has to travel frequently. He got stuck once between an obese woman and someone else. The woman went to use the bathroom, and when she got back... well, he just said that people that big can't wipe properly and although he pittied the woman for her condition - it was pretty rank. The smell & the flight got the person to his left to vomit onto the seatback in front of her. He had to almost leap into the isle to get away before his gag reflex kicked in.

Thankfully this was pre-9/11 so he couls stand in the back of the plane in the aisle for the remainder of the flight. Blech.

You would think that the fact that she is spilling into a second seat would be a wake up call to lay off the donuts. :)

The woman went to use the bathroom, and when she got back... well, he just said that people that big can't wipe properly and although he pittied the woman for her condition - it was pretty rank.

I never thought about this! Disgusting, but thought provoking and mildly intriguing . . . how do they wipe? They would need Yao Ming arms to really get in there good. That's pretty nasty.

You would think that the fact that she is spilling into a second seat would be a wake up call to lay off the donuts. :)

If only it were that easy.

The lady who was complaining should have been tossed from the plane. In mid flight.

I think all airlines should have documented size/weight requirements. Whenever someone books a flight they should have to sign/acknowledge these restrictions. Then, if/when these people board the palne and are found to be in violation on these requirements they should be forced to pay for a 2nd seat and possibly be bumped to a later flight in the event that the current flight does not have another seat available.

It's not fatty's fault they didn't charge her. I wouldn't pay double if I didn't have to. She buys a ticket, shows up, and sits in her seat. No problem with this person. I have no problem with complainer either, although tact would've been better.

That's why I think the CBF deserved the complainer being loud and making CBF cry.

She obviously showed no concern for how her condition impacted others, so why should others give a rat's ass about her?

The real reason the arlines have cut out the in-flight meals? :pointstosky: :mad:

Man that actually made me feel super bad for the fat woman. She Cried??? That's really sad.

Yeah, she's fat..probably knows it too, and to have it calle dout like that in front of a large group?

THat just ruined my whole day..>Seriously. I guess I just can't be that cold to people.

She obviously showed no concern for how her condition impacted others, so why should others give a rat's ass about her?

The real reason the arlines have cut out the in-flight meals? :bandana: :o

Because I'm sure she was hoping her weight would just go unnoticed and she could get to where she needs to go without having to point out that she's overweight.

Think of it like this: If you were horribly disfigured from a burn accident and had to fly somewhere. You sit down, and then someone start saying "Could you please buy a bag and put if over your disgusting face? I can't sit next to something that ugly and be forced to look at it." So now everyone is staring at you. And all you wanted to do was fly, unnoticed like a normal person to your destination.

She's probably in that 'borderline' fat vs. obese stage where she doesn't want to admit to herself that she needs to pay double to travel by plane because she doesn't have the strength to lose the weight. I truly feel bad for her - that would just suck.

Man that actually made me feel super bad for the fat woman. She Cried??? That's really sad.

Yeah, she's fat..probably knows it too, and to have it calle dout like that in front of a large group?

THat just ruined my whole day..>Seriously. I guess I just can't be that cold to people.

:bandana:

Because I'm sure she was hoping her weight would just go unnoticed and she could get to where she needs to go without having to point out that she's overweight.

Think of it like this: If you were horribly disfigured from a burn accident and had to fly somewhere. You sit down, and then someone start saying "Could you please buy a bag and put if over your disgusting face? I can't sit next to something that ugly and be forced to look at it." So now everyone is staring at you. And all you wanted to do was fly, unnoticed like a normal person to your destination.

She's probably in that 'borderline' fat vs. obese stage where she doesn't want to admit to herself that she needs to pay double to travel by plane because she doesn't have the strength to lose the weight. I truly feel bad for her - that would just suck.

I understand what you are saying, although, it's a lot easier to not look at someone than it is to ignore someone's ass/gut/thunderthighs slapping up against you for 5 hours.

Again, she's so concerned w/herself (whether it's not paying for an extra seat or living in denial to keep from asking herself some tough questions) that she completely ignores the effect on others and IMO forfeits some of the goodwill she had coming her way.

1. The airline focked up by placing both women in that situation. The gate and/or ticket agent can obviously see this woman's (CBF) condition. They should have either informed her before she boarded or placed her in a seat where there was an empty next to her.

2. There's never any reason to be cruel - and the complainer certainly was. She could have walked back to the stew and handled this discreetly. Hopefully, there's some karma in this world.

Hopefully, there's some karma in this world.

Think of this: That bitter, cruel woman has to live with herself 24/7 until the day she dies. No way she's as happy in her life as someone who shares a truly kind heart.

2. There's never any reason to be cruel

Never say never.

I would have just discreetly gone to the stew about this, but if the CBF made a stink about my compliants I would have gotten loud and started throwing the "CBF"s around.

ETA: I mean I'd be throwing the words CBF around, not the actual CBFs. That would be silly.

Count me among those who think such wanton cruelty is unnecessary. A little tact and diplomacy goes a long way.

The woman is already paying for her obesity. She most likely is going to have health problems. She probably cannot get or keep a man/boyfriend. No doubt she is paying for her condition in spades and there really is no need to embarass her by calling her out in front of a group of strangers.

I cannot stand watching people get picked on like that. It incenses me to no end.

Count me among those who think such wanton cruelty is unnecessary. A little tact and diplomacy goes a long way.

The woman is already paying for her obesity. She most likely is going to have health problems. She probably cannot get or keep a man/boyfriend. No doubt she is paying for her condition in spades and there really is no need to embarass her by calling her out in front of a group of strangers.

I cannot stand watching people get picked on like that. It incenses me to no end.

Sounds like someone wore Huskeroos as a kid. :P

Yep me too. I feel sooo horrible for this woman. I just cant see sitting on that plane and watching that woman begin to cry and not feel empty and sh!tty inside, even if I had nothing to do with it.

Talk about feeling terrible..this would have done it--hell just hearing about it makes me sad.

I mean this poor woman who knows she is fat is probably hoping to GOD she can just get through the flight with no incident. And not only did she GET an incident, but she got humiliated and embarrassed in front of a planeload of people. Enough that she broke down in tears.

I hope that she takes this moment, and it is the catalyst for her to lose weight, get herself back in shape and that she has a wonderful life--all because of this moment.

Cause other than that happening, there is no way this is a good thing.

Sounds like someone wore Huskeroos as a kid. :ninja:

Nah. Though I was a lot bigger when I played football. It isn't just picking on people for weight issues. Picking on weaker or defenseless people in general generally makes me lose it.

I hate snobbery, looking down on people, elitism, all that bullsh!t. I've hated it every since high school right on up the ladder. The velvet rope sh!t here in NYC pisses me off to no end. People are people. It isn't hard to treat everyone with a little humanity and respect. I don't know who the f#ck some people think they are. Treat people like you'd want to be treated. It isn't that hard not to be a c#cksucker but some people just get off on treating other people like sh#t.

Nah. Though I was a lot bigger when I played football. It isn't just picking on people for weight issues. Picking on weaker or defenseless people in general generally makes me lose it.

I hate snobbery, looking down on people, elitism, all that bullsh!t. I've hated it every since high school right on up the ladder. The velvet rope sh!t here in NYC pisses me off to no end. People are people. It isn't hard to treat everyone with a little humanity and respect. I don't know who the f#ck some people think they are. Treat people like you'd want to be treated. It isn't that hard not to be a c#cksucker but some people just get off on treating other people like sh#t.

I was about to say, how do you deal when you live & work in the NYC area?

:dunno:

Lord knows I can be an a-hole and blunt to a fault sometimes, but I have never understood cruelty to a stranger for no good reason. I've always focked only with those who have done something to provoke it.

Think of this: That bitter, cruel woman has to live with herself 24/7 until the day she dies. No way she's as happy in her life as someone who shares a truly kind heart.

you do buddha proud.

I generally take about 50 to 65 flights/year and I pay extra coin to select the seats I want (aisle front, not Buisness though). When that has happened to me I've been pissed but silent (shorthauls, 2hrs or less). Not sure what I'd do on a 6/7 hr flight

I generally take about 50 to 65 flights/year and I pay extra coin to select the seats I want (aisle front, not Buisness though). When that has happened to me I've been pissed but silent (shorthauls, 2hrs or less). Not sure what I'd do on a 6/7 hr flight

According to some people here it's a good thing that you silently stewed b/c if you had said something you might have hurt that land monster's feelings, which would make you a bad person. :banana:

I hate CBF's as much as anyone and I can't stand to look at them. I even like to comment to other people I'm with so they can hear me. That's why Fenway Park is such a nice place to visit, seats can't handle CBF's so they sit in the handicap section or don't show up at all.

That being said, I don't think they should have to pay for 2 seats because the focking airlines are so cheap and had to squeeze all those seats into such a small place. It's 2006 and not 1975, people have grown, deal with it make bigger seats.

According to some people here it's a good thing that you silently stewed b/c if you had said something you might have hurt that land monster's feelings, which would make you a bad person. :banana:

Like I said, "Short Hauls". Can't see myself doin' this :mad: and B) from the smell for 6 or 7 hrs though

That being said, I don't think they should have to pay for 2 seats because the focking airlines are so cheap and had to squeeze all those seats into such a small place. It's 2006 and not 1975, people have grown, deal with it make bigger seats.

They have bigger seats on the planes. You just have to pay more for them

Everytime I see your user name, I read it as "davebag". :dunno:

It's kinda creepy.

I also think jsparty or whatever his name is, says "jizzparty". :cry:

I hate CBF's as much as anyone and I can't stand to look at them. I even like to comment to other people I'm with so they can hear me. That's why Fenway Park is such a nice place to visit, seats can't handle CBF's so they sit in the handicap section or don't show up at all.

Well, bigger seats = fewer seats, which = more $$$ for all tickets.

Why should the majority of us have to all pay more for a flight b/c of a minority of people? We all already incur the cost of supporting these people via increased healthcare costs. I guess we should just add being a fatass to the growing list of things that nobody has to take responsibility for these days. :dunno:

According to some people here it's a good thing that you silently stewed b/c if you had said something you might have hurt that land monster's feelings, which would make you a bad person. :dunno:

Don't take it so personally. No one said you are a bad person, we were just saying we would not purposely embarrass the woman is all. to each his own.

Holy cow I can see where Mrs DaveBg gets some of her complaints........

Everytime I see your user name, I read it as "davebag". :dunno:

It's kinda creepy.

I also think jsparty or whatever his name is, says "jizzparty". :cry:

I do the same w/jerryskids. I mean, I get it, "Jerry's kids", but I read it as "Jerry skids", as in Jerry's skidmarks.

Don't take it so personally. No one said you are a bad person, we were just saying we would not purposely embarrass the woman is all. to each his own.

Holy cow I can see where Mrs DaveBg gets some of her complaints........

As I said, if it were me, I'd try to resolve it quietly w/the stew. However, if I got any trouble from the stew or from the CBF I would have been the loudest MoFo on the plane.

Just b/c someone is too cheap/insecure/inconsiderate to give any thought to how their obesity effects anyone except for themselves does not give them a free pass to impose their disability/weakness upon others.

1. If you are a CBF, you know you are a CBF and shouldn't put yourself in situations like this.

2. The complainer should have been much more discreet.

3. You cannot sell someone a ticket, let them get on the plane, and then tell them they have to buy another ticket.

4. 90% chance the CBF sues over this.

5. I understand some people gain weight much more easily than others, but if you are so big it is causing problems, skip lunch and walk laps around the building.