Sign in to follow this  
shovelheadt

**Official** I"m sick of the African American BS

According to Deion, this is going to "open the floodgates" for new African American coaches. :dunno:

I think I'll contact Dallas Clark to somehow bring attention to some long awaited, much deserved white breakthroughs.

Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith are both classy men. I hope anybody, black, white, or green would aspire to be just like them.

Congrats to them.

Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith are both classy men.

Which has nothing to do with skin color. Time for the media to let it die.

Which has nothing to do with skin color. Time for the media to let it die.

I sort of agree with you. But, I'm sure there are some who still doubt certain coaches because of the color of their skin. This should put any silly myths like that to rest.

This does have some historical significance. It should be glorified a bit and respected for what it is....but I agree in that I don't want to hear about it 24/7 for the next two weeks.

its great that we live in a country that gives opportunities to people of all backgrounds. that said, it is annoying when they have to constantly mention it. Talking about the race issue only makes it MORE of an issue, which is something i thought we should move away from. Give these two men their due for being great coaches, not for being black.

The one good thing about the attention it's receiving is hopefully it's pointing young black kids to take a look at two really outstanding men.

Too many black youth today look to indulgent, self-absorbed black entertainers whose only focus seems to be the glorification of themselves, their status, and their sexual conquests.

Lovie and Tony give them something fresh to consider in terms of heroes. That's a good thing.

The one good thing about the attention it's receiving is hopefully it's pointing young black kids to take a look at two really outstanding men.

Too many black youth today look to indulgent, self-absorbed black entertainers whose only focus seems to be the glorification of themselves, their status, and their sexual conquests.

Lovie and Tony give them something fresh to consider in terms of heroes. That's a good thing.

I would like to agree with you but many of the black youth still look to the flashy..It's not a bad thing I would agree.

very well said, one thing this country and our youth need is better role models. Not everyone can "hit it big" and those who dont need to learn how to be productive members of society.

Why does anyone care if someone wants to talk about it being the first black coach in the Super Bowl? :thumbsup:

Why does anyone care if someone wants to talk about it being the first black coach in the Super Bowl? :thumbsup:

look it is good a black coach will win it is and I hope it does alot of good.

think is IMO this will become " Negro Bowl I " I think color becomes all anyone talks about keading up to it. I hope tha media makes it a Manning angainst Chicago D hype. But I can gaurentee the race card will be overplayed here

I think it will be a minor subplot. I don't think you'll here too much about it. What is there to say? They're black and they're coaches and they're going to be in the Super Bowl. It's already been said. What else is there to tell assuming they weren't held back due to their race or something.

The storylines are going to probably be more

1. Can Manning finally win the big one?

2. Can Chicago's defense contain the explosive Colts offense?

3. Lovie and Dungy are best friends. Isn't that sweet?

According to Deion, this is going to "open the floodgates" for new African American coaches. :thumbsup:

I think I'll contact Dallas Clark to somehow bring attention to some long awaited, much deserved white breakthroughs.

Yeah...first it was "The Saints this...the Saints that....Hurricane Katrina...."

Now it's "Black coach this...black coach that..."

What colors are the teams wearing for the game?

This could still turn into a black vs. white issue.

I am so proud of the Super Bowl QBs - Peyton Manning and Rex Grossman. They are outstanding. They make all caucasians very proud!

its great that we live in a country that gives opportunities to people of all backgrounds. that said, it is annoying when they have to constantly mention it. Talking about the race issue only makes it MORE of an issue, which is something i thought we should move away from. Give these two men their due for being great coaches, not for being black.

I agree give the coaches the credit not their color I mean after all you also had Art Shell and Denny Green two black coaches that failed this year and got fired.

Totally a non-issue that the media is FORCED to ram down everyones throats. Why is NOT a big deal when Belichick gets to the Super Bowl? Oh yeah, hes a European-based White Guy that has had everything handed to him his whole life. I see now..... :D

The more they make it an issue, the more it wil become annoying and obnoxious. Brace yourself for the barrage of BS from the PC Police! I suspect Al Sharpton, Jeese jackson, and whatever other Race Pros can get the day free will be there. Fock them.

No matter what anyone says:

1) The more they pimp the fact that the coaches are black the more dis-service they do the coaches. Why act so surprised that they made it to the SB? Isnt that sort of saying that they werent supposed to be there because they are black? I think so.

2) The best person should always get the job no matter what. If they are black then fine, but forcing teams to hire people they dont really want to is sickening and 100% racist.

Uggghhhh TWO focking weeks of this crap.... :cry:

:cry:

The mere fact that it's 2007 and the phrase "...the first African-American to...." remains relevant MAKES this match-up of black coaches newsworthy.

I always find it laughable when white folks want to sweep the race thing under the rug and treat it like the pink elephant in the room no one wants to talk about.

This is as historic a scenario as any the NFL has ever seen. And sure it'll be talked about ad nauseam in the coming weeks, but it's well worth it.

Wow, you guys are sick of the African-American BS talk in the NFL. How do you think blacks felt/feel living in oppression. As much as you say things are equal now, they aren't. As much as you don't want them to talk about it because it should be a non-issue, it isn't. Blacks have been and continue to be oppressed in our society and not talking about it just sweeps it under the rug. Boo-hoo, you're sick of hearing about it. Try living it like blacks do every day. You guys just don't understand that we bear the burden of our forefathers as much as we reap the rewards. It IS a big deal deal that there will be an African-American HC in the SB and two of them is HUGE!

Ask yourself this: Is the country ready for an African-American President? If you say no, then there is still a BIG problem in this country. 'Nough said.

Ask yourself this: Is the country ready for an African-American President? If you say no, then there is still a BIG problem in this country. 'Nough said.

Yeah, we are ready...provided the candidate is going to make intelligent political decisions which means LOWER taxes and better ooportunities for people. We are NOT ready if they are gonna pander to race pimpers like Jesse Jackson and other HATERS.

Give us a black presidential cadidate like Alan Keyes or Armstrong Williams and I'll vote for them in a second. Give us the usual "I hate white poeple and am a freegin bedwetting liberal" then they stand no chance.

Simple really..... :rolleyes:

Wow, you guys are sick of the African-American BS talk in the NFL. How do you think blacks felt/feel living in oppression. As much as you say things are equal now, they aren't. As much as you don't want them to talk about it because it should be a non-issue, it isn't. Blacks have been and continue to be oppressed in our society and not talking about it just sweeps it under the rug. Boo-hoo, you're sick of hearing about it. Try living it like blacks do every day. You guys just don't understand that we bear the burden of our forefathers as much as we reap the rewards. It IS a big deal deal that there will be an African-American HC in the SB and two of them is HUGE!

Preach!!! Preach!!!

:rolleyes:

I've heard about this in the media but really not so much - is this something they've been harping on? We've only known that L.Smith and Dungy are going to the Super Bowl for less than a day and already you're complaining about hearing too much about their skin color. Is it possible you're just a little hypersensitive to this stuff? Far as your claim that it should not be an issue ... it is an issue. It's the FIRST time this has happened. Anytime something happens in sports for the first time you are going to hear about it because it's a historic event.

Must be something about the demographics of FFT (upper middle class and white) because there is so much whining about this stuff going on here. You'd think white collar caucasians are the most persecuted minority on earth. Get over yourself. If you are tired of the media talking about a historic event, turn your TV off.

Why are they called African American? Let that die, they are freakin Americans, not African. Their skin color just happens to be dark. White people aren't called European American. Also, what percentage of the players in the NFL are white? What percentage of players in the NBA are white? Does the media or anyone make a big deal about this? no. Hypocritical? yes.

This is as historic a scenario as any the NFL has ever seen. And sure it'll be talked about ad nauseam in the coming weeks, but it's well worth it.

so the first African-American (which is a misnomer in itself, because Ernie Els is from S. Africa - does that make him an African-American?), to actually PLAY in the NFL wasn't more important?

or just the first A-A coach wasn't more important?

This is simply two A-A coach who are very good HCs, coaching the best teams this year in the biggest game... i'm willing to bet there are alot of A-As that would argue it's not THE most significant and historic scenario the NFL has ever seen...

Colin Powell would (and probably could) still win in a heartbeat. IMO, an A-A will win the presidency before a woman...

ps - it'll be a big deal when the first A-A coaches in the Stanley Cup finals...

Also, what percentage of the players in the NFL are white? What percentage of players in the NBA are white? Does the media or anyone make a big deal about this? no. Hypocritical? yes.

actually, i remember a specific news story about Jason Sehorn because he was the only white CB in the NFL - and they specifically talked about him being the only whitey.

I think it's significant in that there are still a lot of Al Campanis' out there who would point to the fact that no black coach has led a team to a superbowl to support their bigotry. Intelligent people knew better, but at least this shuts the racists up for a little while. (wishful thinking)

However, I think the media should be careful not to be too over the top with this lest it become condescending. It's not a greater accomplishment than any other coach doing it. Being African American is not a handicap, afterall.

Yeah, we are ready...provided the candidate is going to make intelligent political decisions which means LOWER taxes and better ooportunities for people. We are NOT ready if they are gonna pander to race pimpers like Jesse Jackson and other HATERS.

Give us a black presidential cadidate like Alan Keyes or Armstrong Williams and I'll vote for them in a second. Give us the usual "I hate white poeple and am a freegin bedwetting liberal" then they stand no chance.

Simple really..... :cheers:

Wow! Alan Keyes????? Lizard, you scare me!

Obama! Obama! Obama!

I'd love to be a black person in today's society, they have it made. I'm sick of people saying Blacks are oppressed in our society. As far as I'm concerned Blacks have the upper edge at least in my experience. I've had several bosses that admitted that if they had a white and black person both interview for a job with the same credentials, they would hire the black person cause of equal rights. Some Blacks say they aren't given the same opportunities in education. I guess I don't understand that either. They can go to the same public schools as anyone else. In fact, there's scholarships just for Black people. There are no scholarships just for White people. Black people get so much special treatment that White people do not get. This of course is just in my experience, I haven't been everywhere in the world.

...African-American...is a misnomer in itself because Ernie Els is from S. Africa - does that make him an African-American?)....

The term African-American, when referring to a black person, pre-dates a mofo who plays golf. The term African-American is in reference to the origin of the continent and the people who inhabited it centuries ago, long before there was a white face to be found. HTH

i'm willing to bet there are alot of A-As that would argue it's not THE most significant and historic scenario the NFL has ever seen...

It's not? What is, ol' wise one?

it'll be a big deal when the first A-A coaches in the Stanley Cup finals...

Don't hold your breath on this one....

I'd love to be a black person in today's society, they have it made. I'm sick of people saying Blacks are oppressed in our society. As far as I'm concerned Blacks have the upper edge at least in my experience. I've had several bosses that admitted that if they had a white and black person both interview for a job with the same credentials, they would hire the black person cause of equal rights. Some Blacks say they aren't given the same opportunities in education. I guess I don't understand that either. They can go to the same public schools as anyone else. In fact, there's scholarships just for Black people. There are no scholarships just for White people. Black people get so much special treatment that White people do not get. This of course is just in my experience, I haven't been everywhere in the world.

This is the most misinformed post I've ever seen on this site. Seriously. Trust me, you DON'T want to be black in today's society.

Let me share something with you: blacks have the "upper edge," as you called it, on NOTHING. What world are you living in? Sure, the Affirmative Action thing may assist some of us, but as a whole, blacks have to fight and claw for everything we get. I won't bore you with the details.

You, my friend, need to get out of that mental cacoon you're living in.

The term African-American, when referring to a black person, pre-dates a mofo who plays golf. The term African-American is in reference to the origin of the continent and the people who inhabited it centuries ago, long before there was a white face to be found. HTH

ah, so you were there centuries ago to know the skin color of the people that originally inhabited the continent? last i checked, they can use the bone structure of remains to determine descendency and base guesses of what the people would look like - but there is no definitive science to tell what color their actual skin was... you yourself have to clarify the term African-American w/ the statement "when referring to a black person" - so that points out the term is not a term that distinquishes the color of skin.

so again, A-A is still a misnomer in the form it is being used to discuss race. If you care to simply discuss nationality, as most other civilized nations do (such as all of Europe), you are simply referring to where a single individual is from... HTH.

It's not? What is, ol' wise one?

i guess you failed to read the two examples directly above the comment in which you are questioning? :dunno: :mad:

Well, To that comment I'd say the country is ready! Boston voted in a black Govenor! 10 years ago you'd have been laughed at if you said it would happen. I think the country is ready for a woman or Black president. I for one will vote for the best person who displays the best potential to lead this country effectively. Now, Boston is not the whole country but, that election was significant!

Why are they called African American? Let that die, they are freakin Americans, not African. Their skin color just happens to be dark. White people aren't called European American. Also, what percentage of the players in the NFL are white? What percentage of players in the NBA are white? Does the media or anyone make a big deal about this? no. Hypocritical? yes.

:banana:

Ain't no pink elephants in the room. Battles been fought and won. Now the responsibilities of winning must be accepted. It's called equality. Race is a non-story in this day and age.

they can use the bone structure of remains to determine descendency and base guesses of what the people would look like - but there is no definitive science to tell what color their actual skin was...

LOL, sounds like you've been watching BS Discovery Channel special. For the record, carbon-dating was conducted on remains found in Africa back in the mid 1990s and it was concluded that the remains were those of a Black man, who, incidentally enough, is the original inhabitant of the planet. I know that's too deep for you, young fella, so again, I won't bore you with the minute details.

i guess you failed to read the two examples directly above the comment in which you are questioning? :banana: :banana:

Your examples -- first black player and coach -- are find, but the fact that 2 black coaches made it, as leaders of men, to the pinnacle of their profession, I must say, trumps your examples. Sorry.

Let me share something with you: blacks have the "upper edge," as you called it, on NOTHING. What world are you living in? Sure, the Affirmative Action thing may assist some of us, but as a whole, blacks have to fight and claw for everything we get. I won't bore you with the details.

You, my friend, need to get out of that mental cacoon you're living in.

Explain to me how blacks have it harder cause frankly I just don't see it. A white person growing up with poor parents have it just as hard as a black person with poor parents. A rich black person has it just as easy as a rich white person. There's a couple black people I work with that has the same position as me. They constantly ask me for help on how to do their job yet get paid the same as me. They've shown up late several days a week and call in sick a lot without reprimand. A white person I work with had the flu and was out for a week with a doctor's note and got fired. Please don't bash me, I'm just stating what I've experienced.