Sign in to follow this  
Celticspride

State of the Patriots...

They really need to get younger on defense, especially at saftey and linebacker. Bruschi looked extremely slow and really hasn't made many plays all season. As a guy who's never had ideal size, he's relied on intelligence and quickness and now that he's slowing down, can he still be an every down LB?

On offense, their running game is going to be a big question mark. Dillon looks really slow and Maroney, after a hot start hasn't looked good since. Add to that the fact that they could lose their best blocking TE (Graham) and their fullback...I think many people had penciled in Maroney as the starter next year, but if he plays like he did down the stretch this year, than the Patriots are not going far...

Obviously the Patriots also need to address the lack of playmaker(s) at WR. It really wasn't an issue until yesterday. And as they've showed in the past, they don't need a super-star, just a solid, reliable guy or two that Brady can depend on. Caldwell and Gaffney had two great playoff games, but neither one has ever consistently done it in the NFL, so they definitely need to address that.

And last but not least, I think they'll franchise Asante Samuel. With Samuel, Hobbs, Randall Gay, Chad Scott plus they'll probably draft a corner or two, they have a pretty decent, young core of CBs.

All of what you said is true, as much as I like #54, he hasn't been the same since his stroke. I have no idea where they are going with this team next season. I can't belive the way Maroney played early this season, ROY I thought, and Dillion looked like Earl Campell at the end of his career! Alot needs to change before we can get back to the big dance.

They are in better shape than 90 % of the other teams in the NFL, and have a better Qb then all of them.

If you want to talk about dysfunctional, we can address the Celts :dunno:

They really need to get younger on defense, especially at saftey and linebacker. Bruschi looked extremely slow and really hasn't made many plays all season. As a guy who's never had ideal size, he's relied on intelligence and quickness and now that he's slowing down, can he still be an every down LB?

On offense, their running game is going to be a big question mark. Dillon looks really slow and Maroney, after a hot start hasn't looked good since. Add to that the fact that they could lose their best blocking TE (Graham) and their fullback...I think many people had penciled in Maroney as the starter next year, but if he plays like he did down the stretch this year, than the Patriots are not going far...

Obviously the Patriots also need to address the lack of playmaker(s) at WR. It really wasn't an issue until yesterday. And as they've showed in the past, they don't need a super-star, just a solid, reliable guy or two that Brady can depend on. Caldwell and Gaffney had two great playoff games, but neither one has ever consistently done it in the NFL, so they definitely need to address that.

And last but not least, I think they'll franchise Asante Samuel. With Samuel, Hobbs, Randall Gay, Chad Scott plus they'll probably draft a corner or two, they have a pretty decent, young core of CBs.

Good points, but I'll add that right about the time most rookie RBs hit the proverbial wall, Maroney also got injured. The two issue coupled together had Maroney with sub par second half of the season/playoffs. We all saw the talent/moves. He'll be very good next season. I'm not worried about that at all.

Good points, but I'll add that right about the time most rookie RBs hit the proverbial wall, Maroney also got injured. The two issue coupled together had Maroney with sub par second half of the season/playoffs. We all saw the talent/moves. He'll be very good next season. I'm not worried about that at all.

only really 2 things Patriots need to do.

Resign Samuel and sign either Briggs or A. Thomas aT LB and maybe add N. Clements at DB.

Hopefully Chad Jackson will be make some impact next year, but he didn't seem to progress much this year.

Hopefully Chad Jackson will be make some impact next year, but he didn't seem to progress much this year.

See that tackle he made covering the kickoff against the Colts? :thumbsdown:

Resign Samuel and sign either Briggs or A. Thomas aT LB and maybe add N. Clements at DB.

If they do all of that, than the Patriots will be in great shape for the next couple of years.

I'm guessing they'll franchise Samuel, look to lock up Wilfork and Warren longterm before potentially making a run at one of those LBs (and or Clements)...

$30.4 Million in cap space and 2 1st rounders.

I think they can be set up for years to come with just the above.

Samuel needs to be resigned and then they need to address LB.

Youth needs to had at LB and how about a taller DB?

I'd love to see them try to resign Seau because he played great situationally this year. So if he's fully back from his injury, he can be a valuable run stuffer.

See that tackle he made covering the kickoff against the Colts? :first:

Actually I did, in fact I commented "It's nice to see him doing something."

He's my designated kick coverage guy in Madden. I blow people up with him. :shocking:

Great thread.

I think the Patriots needs are as follows, in order of relative importance:

- Inside linebacker: They need at least one guy to put next to Bruschi so that Vrabel can go back outside. Can Briggs or Thomas play ILB? I believe they both play OLB now, but they do seem to have the size necessary to make the transition inside. If Bruschi retires, the Patriots will probably need to keep Vrabel inside (for leadership and continuity) and will then need an ILB and an OLB.

- Safety: They need a veteran leader to replace Rodney Harrison. With the amount of injuries he's had over the past two years, it is obvious that he has really worn down. Thats to be expected of a guy who has played as physically as anyone else over his career. Eugene Wilson spent the year on IR and really hasn't been a factor since 2004, so I wouldn't rely on him either. That means they need to bring in a veteran guy. Deion Grant is my current favorite, although I haven't really looked closely at the other guys expected to be available this offseason.

- Wide receiver: Gaffney is a keeper, but they really need somebody else to start alongside him. At this point I am thinking that Chad Jackson=Bethel Johnson. As for Reche Caldwell, he showed yesterday that he is not to be relied upon. I know its a harsh assessment after he played well for most of the season, but in my opinion has neither the grit determination necessary to make it on this team. So I think that leaves the Patriots with having to sign a guy in free agency this year. We all know they HATE to overpay for wide receivers, but they need to get a guy like Drew Bennett. Bobby Engram could be a poor man's signing. I won't even mention Stallworth as that would be beyond a pipe dream.

- Cornerback: If they re-sign, or more likely, franchise Asante Samuel, then I think they are pretty well set at the position. Perhaps adding a veteran or two for depth and the nickel spot would be good. They should get Randall Gay back next year, and Chad Scott seemed serviceable (though he will be a year older). If Samuel goes, obviously this position goes near the front in terms of biggest needs.

In general, the Patriots do need to get younger and faster at the linebacker position, they need another playmaker in the secondary (see Rodney's replacement), and they need to get a running game together. Maroney looked awesome early in the year and then fizzled out BIGTIME. Will this change next year? If not, the Pats definitely need to look elsewhere for another back.

So here is what I'd like to see happen:

1. Re-sign or franchise Asante Samuel. Try to re-sign Graham, but if his price is too high we've still got Watson and Thomas, though neither of them are half the blocker that Graham is.

2. Sign Briggs or A. Thomas. This will be the hardest, since its hard to imagine either of those teams letting them get away. Another option would be Donnie Edwards, if the Chargers do let him go. He isn't young, but if they can't get Briggs or Thomas he would be a good consolation prize.

3. Sign a safety like Deion Grant.

4. Sign a WR. They need a big play threat, but I don't see that out there this year.

5. Use the draft to get younger and faster on defense. A third down type of back in the 3rd or 4th round to replace Kevin Faulk would be great. They really need a playmaker at the position, like a Leon Washington, if you will.

Comments? Disagreements? This is good therapy.

Great thread.

I think the Patriots needs are as follows, in order of relative importance:

- Inside linebacker: They need at least one guy to put next to Bruschi so that Vrabel can go back outside. Can Briggs or Thomas play ILB? I believe they both play OLB now, but they do seem to have the size necessary to make the transition inside. If Bruschi retires, the Patriots will probably need to keep Vrabel inside (for leadership and continuity) and will then need an ILB and an OLB.

- Safety: They need a veteran leader to replace Rodney Harrison. With the amount of injuries he's had over the past two years, it is obvious that he has really worn down. Thats to be expected of a guy who has played as physically as anyone else over his career. Eugene Wilson spent the year on IR and really hasn't been a factor since 2004, so I wouldn't rely on him either. That means they need to bring in a veteran guy. Deion Grant is my current favorite, although I haven't really looked closely at the other guys expected to be available this offseason.

- Wide receiver: Gaffney is a keeper, but they really need somebody else to start alongside him. At this point I am thinking that Chad Jackson=Bethel Johnson. As for Reche Caldwell, he showed yesterday that he is not to be relied upon. I know its a harsh assessment after he played well for most of the season, but in my opinion has neither the grit determination necessary to make it on this team. So I think that leaves the Patriots with having to sign a guy in free agency this year. We all know they HATE to overpay for wide receivers, but they need to get a guy like Drew Bennett. Bobby Engram could be a poor man's signing. I won't even mention Stallworth as that would be beyond a pipe dream.

- Cornerback: If they re-sign, or more likely, franchise Asante Samuel, then I think they are pretty well set at the position. Perhaps adding a veteran or two for depth and the nickel spot would be good. They should get Randall Gay back next year, and Chad Scott seemed serviceable (though he will be a year older). If Samuel goes, obviously this position goes near the front in terms of biggest needs.

In general, the Patriots do need to get younger and faster at the linebacker position, they need another playmaker in the secondary (see Rodney's replacement), and they need to get a running game together. Maroney looked awesome early in the year and then fizzled out BIGTIME. Will this change next year? If not, the Pats definitely need to look elsewhere for another back.

So here is what I'd like to see happen:

1. Re-sign or franchise Asante Samuel. Try to re-sign Graham, but if his price is too high we've still got Watson and Thomas, though neither of them are half the blocker that Graham is.

2. Sign Briggs or A. Thomas. This will be the hardest, since its hard to imagine either of those teams letting them get away. Another option would be Donnie Edwards, if the Chargers do let him go. He isn't young, but if they can't get Briggs or Thomas he would be a good consolation prize.

3. Sign a safety like Deion Grant.

4. Sign a WR. They need a big play threat, but I don't see that out there this year.

5. Use the draft to get younger and faster on defense. A third down type of back in the 3rd or 4th round to replace Kevin Faulk would be great. They really need a playmaker at the position, like a Leon Washington, if you will.

Comments? Disagreements? This is good therapy.

I think Maroney is going to be fine, and it's premature to judge Jackson. Rookie receivers making an impact - especially in an offense like the Patriots' - are the exception more than the rule. I think most of us are familiar with the third-year receiver phenomenon. I also think Kevin Faulk is still plenty servicable as a third down back.

Agree with pretty much all your comments on the D though.

I think Maroney is going to be fine, and it's premature to judge Jackson. Rookie receivers making an impact - especially in an offense like the Patriots' - are the exception more than the rule. I think most of us are familiar with the third-year receiver phenomenon. I also think Kevin Faulk is still plenty servicable as a third down back.

Agree with pretty much all your comments on the D though.

You are probably right about Maroney, and obviously I hope you are. But he did play terribly against Indy. I think the problem is that he was dancing around behind the scrimmage later in the year, whereas early in the season he just found the best hole he could and hit it (insert joke here). Given that Dillon was still effective down the stretch, I figure this must have more to do with Maroney changing his style than the holes just not being there.

And I hope you are right about Chad Jackson too. I just have a feeling that he is not smart enough or dedicated enough to pick up the offense, though. Hope I'm proven wrong.

And Faulk is gettin' old. Plus, where was he at the end of the game yesterday? He wasn't on the field for the last 25 snaps.

Overall I think they are missing playmakers on both sides of the ball. Its great to be young, under the cap and have a bunch of draft picks. That allows them to transition in players as vets leave or get too expensive. They have to be more selective however rather than just let everyone leave.

QB - Obviously set for another 5+ yrs

RB - I like Maroney and they should be set there.

WR - Needs an improvement. They have a group of #3 & #4 wrs. No 1s and 2s.

OL - Not bad, but could use some improvement

TEs - Solid even without Graham

DL - Strength of the team

LB - old and slow. Colvin makes plays, but the group needs a youth injection

S - needs improvement

CBs - good, but is Samuel gone? Hobbs is ok and played well in the post season

Brady, Dline and Samuel are the only consistent studs.

Overall I think they are missing playmakers on both sides of the ball. Its great to be young, under the cap and have a bunch of draft picks. That allows them to transition in players as vets leave or get too expensive. They have to be more selective however rather than just let everyone leave.

S - needs improvement

I'd agree with all of that.

About Samuel, I've been hearing the Jets could be where he'll end up. He'd be reunited with E.Mangini and the up and coming Jets. I beleive the Jets will be in the S.Bowl within the next 1- 4 years. And that's saying something because they havn't been there since the 60's. :D

I'd agree with all of that.

About Samuel, I've been hearing the Jets could be where he'll end up. He'd be reunited with E.Mangini and the up and coming Jets. I beleive the Jets will be in the S.Bowl within the next 1- 4 years. And that's saying something because they havn't been there since the 60's. :sleep:

The Patriots will surely franchise him rather than let him go to the Jets.

S - needs improvement

Good analysis Walt. The only area I would disagree is OL. They're not great, but IMO good (run blocking) to very good (pass blocking). And they're fairly young with some depth. No stars but play well as a group. I think they've been one of the overlooked cogs of the team this year.

and they could be in the exact same situation they were in with Branch a year ago.

Samuel doesn't appear to be happy with NE, nor does he appear to think he'll be back next year.

After the IND loss, Asante shook hands with and said goodbye to some Patriots lockerroom/team officals.

Mike Reiss has reported that Samuel's agent claims they've heard nothing from NE but their door is open to negotiations. I guess both sides were close to a deal/extension earlier this fall, but nothing got done and Samuel's price tag has certainly gone up since then.

Much like with Deion Branch, I want to see Samuel back on this team. I just don't know that he's worth "top 5" money? He finished strong this year, but up until the second half of this season, Asante wasn't a world beater; he was a nice CB but far from the level of the league's elites.

Daniel Graham is the other guy. I have no idea what kind of money he's looking for and IF NE will even consider keeping him.

What I do know is that the turnover is nothing new and even if both Samuel/Graham are gone, the loss isn't as severe as some that we've seen in the past. It will all depend on what NE does with all their cap space... if they end up being big players in the FA market again (i.e. another Colvin/Harrison paydirt), the loss of Samuel and Graham will be old news quick.

i'd like to see WR Drew Bennett get a look. I hope they don't break the bank on Samual.

my fa want list:

wr, db, lb

draft wants 1st day:

lb, db, oline, wr

What I noticed about him was that he did a bit too much dancing in the backfield especially later in the season. Sometimes it's better to try and hit that hole and maybe get stuck at no gain or only a yard or two rather than taking 3-4 yard losses. If he works that issue out I think he'll be a solid RB.

They need a RB that can carry the ball more than 7 times a game.........They have a Rudi Johnson type RB they win last Sunday and Super Bowl Sunday. They won with Antwain Smith who regardless of his yards just kept pounding the ball. I'd rather see 25 carries for 25 yards than 7 carries for 46 yards.

Pats RBBC is horrible....

You rattle this stuff off like the Pats are notorious for going after big paycheck stars.

A. Samuel isn't going to re-sign with NE.

There's already a significant amount of animosity on both sides. Jackie MacMullen (boston globe) reported that Samuel has a new tattoo the reads "Get Paid" and it is obviously related to his desire to be paid top dollar.

As for FA's... I do believe that NE is in a position to be a big player in the FA market.

Lots of teams will go after him, including the Cardinals.... don't worry, Edge and Boldin will convince this Floridian he needs to come West! :mad:

If Franchised, though, he'll be staying.... (of course)

I can't see the Patriots franchising Samuel. He had a good season from an interception standpoint, but I don't see him as a top 10 CB. He is not a shut-down corner. While there are not that many of those guys out there, they are likely to let him walk rather than take the $7.4M hit.

They need to get younger on defense (secondary and at LB). They will be players in mid-level FA market there. They also have some guys coming back from IR (Wilson, Jones, et al) to help at safety if Rodney does not come back.

They need a #1 WR. Gaffney is a nice find as a #2. I think that Jackson is the 2nd coming of Bethel Johnson. Caldwell is not a reliable option. Definitely need to make some headway there.

At RB, they probably need to rework Dillon or he is probably gone. I can't see them ponying up $4.4M in cap space to him since his role is likely being reduced.

All in all, they have a good cap situation and plenty of picks available. They should be all set to make another strong run next season.

Let's take it player by player then:

Asante Samuel:

probably gone (as I posted above). I too am in the camp that doesn't believe Samuel is a top 5 CB... top 10 maybe, but top 5, no. WEEI was reporting that Samuel will be looking for a very big signing bonus... 10 to 15mil. NE isn't going to pay him that and I don't blame them.

Daniel Graham:

I don't know what Graham is looking for money wise, but again this guy isn't a top 5 TE. Seems to me that NE was planning for life without Graham when they drafted 3 TEs last year. Watson is still under contract as their primary pass catching TE.

Tedy Bruschi:

Sounded like he was contemplating retirement after the IND loss, but Brady said in an interview that he doesn't believe Bruschi will retire this year. Still, Bruschi is not the big playmaker he once was. He's nice and reliable, but he can not be counted on to carry the LB corps.

Rodney Harrison:

Has stated that he wants to play next year. Where he is physically and age-wise is tough to say as we really haven't seen him play much over the last 2 seasons. If nothing else, he provides veteran leadership to the younger legs in the secondary. He will certainly be no worse than what NE has put out there at S over the last 2 seasons.

Corey Dillon:

Cap number is over $4mil and that's pretty hefty for a guy who only participated in 25% (approx.) of the offenses snaps during the playoffs. Truth is that Dillon ran better this year than he did last year. We've all seen that he can still hammer it through the hole, the problem is he can't break away from tacklers and after any long gainer, he's useless for the rest of the quarter. So, yes, Dillon does have a role with this team, but it isn't as a feature RB and it isn't at $4mil agains the cap.

I can't see the Patriots franchising Samuel. He had a good season from an interception standpoint, but I don't see him as a top 10 CB. He is not a shut-down corner. While there are not that many of those guys out there, they are likely to let him walk rather than take the $7.4M hit.

They need to get younger on defense (secondary and at LB). They will be players in mid-level FA market there. They also have some guys coming back from IR (Wilson, Jones, et al) to help at safety if Rodney does not come back.

This does put them in a bit of a tough situation. Is Samuel a top 5 corner in the league? Probably not. But if they lose him, do they have anyone even remotely capable of taking his place? No, they do not. Signing a free agent to replace him would likely lead to either a Duane Starks type situation, or groslly overpaying for someone serviceable anyway. They could draft somebody, but that would leave them with Hobbs (perhaps not the "sorriest corner in the league," but also not great most of the time) and a rookie. I wouldn't like that one bit.

So I think they franchise Samuel, not because they think he is worth all that money, but because they do have a lot of cap room this off-season and it will buy them a year to come up with Plan B.

As for youth on defense, they do need to get younger at LB, yes; but with the exception of Harrison, they are already quite young in the secondary. As for Harrison, I don't think they should count on him to be a significant contributor anymore. His age is clearly catching up to him, and for a guy that plays as physically as he does, that spells disaster.

And Wilson hasn't done jack squat since 2004. I'd be halfway surprised if he were on the team at all next year.

They need a #1 WR. Gaffney is a nice find as a #2. I think that Jackson is the 2nd coming of Bethel Johnson. Caldwell is not a reliable option. Definitely need to make some headway there.

At RB, they probably need to rework Dillon or he is probably gone. I can't see them ponying up $4.4M in cap space to him since his role is likely being reduced.

I agree with everything here. Lose Caldwell, find a #1. Not an easy task, but they've got to do it or opposing defenses will just stack the line every game next year. Dillon would be nice to keep as a goal line back, but he will have to take a significant reduction in pay for that role.

All in all, they have a good cap situation and plenty of picks available. They should be all set to make another strong run next season.

Yup. They need a big signing (A. Thomas, Briggs, or maybe a somewhat lesser guy like D Edwards or L Fletcher) and youth at linebacker, a veteran addition at safety (Deion Grant?), and a wide receiver (Drew Bennett?). If they manage to address those three things, and either keep Samuel or adequately replace him, they will possibly be even better next year.

So I think they franchise Samuel, not because they think he is worth all that money, but because they do have a lot of cap room this off-season and it will buy them a year to come up with Plan B.

Samuel will sit if they franchise him.

It will be Deion Branch all over again.

maybe :dunno:

And Wilson hasn't done jack squat since 2004. I'd be halfway surprised if he were on the team at all next year.

with Harrison in there, guiding him along, he was looking great.

once Rodney went out, he became the "ball lost in the tall grass".

Samuel will sit if they franchise him.

It will be Deion Branch all over again.

maybe :dunno:

Its possible, of course, but could Samuel really be THAT mad at being paid the average of the top 5 corners in the NFL? Granted there is no long term security, but just in terms of the salary he couldn't be too pissed off about it.

Its possible, of course, but could Samuel really be THAT mad at being paid the average of the top 5 corners in the NFL? Granted there is no long term security, but just in terms of the salary he couldn't be too pissed off about it.

it will mirror the Deion Branch situation.

Samuel is still working off his 4-year rookie deal.

approx. numbers:

300k signing bonus

$225,000 - 2003

$305,000 - 2004

$380,000- 2005

$460,000 - 2006 (bumped to $721,600 after reaching escalators based on playing time)

as I bolded above, security will be his main issue. The guy has earned less than 2.5mil over his career and in his mind, he hasn't hit a big payday yet. Like Branch, he'll be looking for big signing bonus (10mil guaranteed) so that *IF* he suffers a career-ending injury, his family is taken care of.

Again, like with Branch, I do believe Asante Samuel is deserving of a raise. I just don't think that he's a top 5 corner and I dont' think that $10mil in guaranteed money is a great investment with this guy.

So, if NE franchises him, he'll sit out because he has no security and can't risk injury.

Then Samuel will have until week 10 to report or he forfeits the year and can be slapped with the franchise tag in the following year (which won't happen but by letter of the law, that's how it's supposed to work)

And like with Branch, this is a lose-lose proposition for both NE and Samuel... NE needs a CB, Samuel needs a payday.

IF NE franchises him, it will be done with the intent on trading him. Will Samuel fetch a 1st round pick too?

I guess we'll just have to see how the Samuel thing gets played out. My hope is that he will be willing to play even if franchised (since he would still be getting 7.5 guaranteed for the year), but you may be right in assuming that he won't.

I believe Samuel is progressing into the status of a shutdown corner and hope the Pats sign him. I know the Pats are reluctant to pay high for cb's but he is young and a special corner just entering his prime. I agree with most of what has been mentioned by each contributor.

it will mirror the Deion Branch situation.

Samuel is still working off his 4-year rookie deal.

approx. numbers:

300k signing bonus

$225,000 - 2003

$305,000 - 2004

$380,000- 2005

$460,000 - 2006 (bumped to $721,600 after reaching escalators based on playing time)

as I bolded above, security will be his main issue. The guy has earned less than 2.5mil over his career and in his mind, he hasn't hit a big payday yet. Like Branch, he'll be looking for big signing bonus (10mil guaranteed) so that *IF* he suffers a career-ending injury, his family is taken care of.

Again, like with Branch, I do believe Asante Samuel is deserving of a raise. I just don't think that he's a top 5 corner and I dont' think that $10mil in guaranteed money is a great investment with this guy.

So, if NE franchises him, he'll sit out because he has no security and can't risk injury.

Then Samuel will have until week 10 to report or he forfeits the year and can be slapped with the franchise tag in the following year (which won't happen but by letter of the law, that's how it's supposed to work)

And like with Branch, this is a lose-lose proposition for both NE and Samuel... NE needs a CB, Samuel needs a payday.

IF NE franchises him, it will be done with the intent on trading him. Will Samuel fetch a 1st round pick too?

The big differences in the Branch and Samuel situations are that the Patriots wanted Branch to play this year for what he signed his rookie contract for. The Patriots weren't franchising him. The Patriots were willing to pay Branch pretty close to what he got in Seattle but they wanted him to honor his rookie contract with the extension starting next year, and Branch and his agent wanted to rip up the final year of his rookie deal and start earning the big bucks now, because he could've conceivably played this year for less money, gotten hurt and than gotten cut before he saw that huge salary increase. (He still would've seen the signing bonus money). Samuel's position is different in that he's fulfilled his rookie contract. So, eventhough I agree Samuel would be unhappy if he's franchised, because that would prevent him from getting a signing bonus, his salary would be among the top 5 CBs in the league, so I'm not sure he'd hold out. He has a lot more leverage than Branch had last year, which is why I think the Patriots will deal with him differently than they did Deion Branch. But I guess time will tell...

To those who think Asante Samuel isn't Top 5 or Top 10, who would you rate higher (other than the obvious Champ Bailey and Ronde Barber)? Not trying to flame - just curious.

Why wouldnt the Pats offer him a nice deal. Something like 4 yrs, 20 Mill?

The problem is that if you keep cycling out good players and build for the future, you maintain a competitive level, but do not maintain a SB level. You can expect a series of 9-11 win seasons with little chance of a title.

At Samuel's age, he would be a decent investment imo.

Why wouldnt the Pats offer him a nice deal. Something like 4 yrs, 20 Mill?

I'm guessing Samuel is looking for more like 9mil per year.

Something along the lines of 12mil signing bonus and 6mil salary = 9mil per year.

I believe NE would love to sign him to a 4 year 20 mil contract. I don't think that's anywhere near what Samuel feels he's worth. Some reports in Boston have claimed he'll be looking for a 15 mil signing bonus!

On 2 seperate occasions in the first half sitting in the dome Sunday I sent text messages to people referencing something like "they just make plays". I am a Colts season ticket holder and I have nothing but respect for the Pats. As long as Tom Brady is your QB you have a shot. We got you this time (finally) but you will be fine. Regardless of who you lose and/or add you will still be tough as snot to beat. A worthy adversary for many yearsto come. As football fans let's hope this rivalry only continues to give us great games. I have no doubt it will.

:(

:thumbsdown: :clap: :(

Fortunately, the strength of the draft is very similar to the needs of the pats.

They won't draft another WR in the first round, and I think they can get an LB like Poz. in the second.

I'd love to see them draft Landry and have E. Wilson as the two safeties, go after Poz in the second, and see if you can get some defensive depth through the rest of the draft. They can sign a WR FA. and let Jackson develop for another year.

Beyond that, we are in very good shape.