Sign in to follow this  
teejay booker

Will ESPN show every Bonds at bat from now until he breaks the record?

two things:

1. Bonds stole a base today - for a 43 y/o who suppossedly took more steroids than anyone, that sort of durability is awfully impressive. In fact, that he's only had one off year due to injury in a 22 year career, whereas stars like Caminitti and others have had dramatically shortened careers because of steroid abuse seems a little odd.

2. Matt Williams was on KNBR yesterday and expressed that while steroids are a bad thing, they don't help you make contact on a round ball with a round bat. Once you hit it, the strength can help, but he doesn't believe Bonds career numbers have been effected by any substance.

Take it for what it is - but Matt is old school, and one of the players I respect the most. Coming from him, I am inclined to believe it. Doesn't make Bonds less of a jerk, but I don't disparage the man. He's not the poster boy for 'roids considering about 1/2 of major leaguers took them, and he's actually a pretty decent guy in terms of charity and off field lack of trouble. We live in a period where athletes are criminals, thugs, etc, etc, etc. Yet Bonds is villified. I disagree that it should be the case, and if he manages to get Aaron's record, it's an achievement to be recognized and appreciated.

one man's opinion.

Matt Williams was on KNBR yesterday and expressed that while steroids are a bad thing, they don't help you make contact on a round ball with a round bat. Once you hit it, the strength can help, but he doesn't believe Bonds career numbers have been effected by any substance.

I keep telling people this, but they just don't buy it... Steroids doesn't help hand-eye coordination and Barry has one of the best of the game...

Good luck to Barry in pursuit of 756...

two things:

1. Bonds stole a base today - for a 43 y/o who suppossedly took more steroids than anyone, that sort of durability is awfully impressive. In fact, that he's only had one off year due to injury in a 22 year career, whereas stars like Caminitti and others have had dramatically shortened careers because of steroid abuse seems a little odd.

2. Matt Williams was on KNBR yesterday and expressed that while steroids are a bad thing, they don't help you make contact on a round ball with a round bat. Once you hit it, the strength can help, but he doesn't believe Bonds career numbers have been effected by any substance.

Take it for what it is - but Matt is old school, and one of the players I respect the most. Coming from him, I am inclined to believe it. Doesn't make Bonds less of a jerk, but I don't disparage the man. He's not the poster boy for 'roids considering about 1/2 of major leaguers took them, and he's actually a pretty decent guy in terms of charity and off field lack of trouble. We live in a period where athletes are criminals, thugs, etc, etc, etc. Yet Bonds is villified. I disagree that it should be the case, and if he manages to get Aaron's record, it's an achievement to be recognized and appreciated.

one man's opinion.

Completely on board here, although I would say that its going to be much less appreciated from a historical standpoint, and the old schoolers. We all know its an absolute lock that he'd never come close without the use of sterage, but his skill level is still ridiculously amazing. Bet that backside that Hank Aaron will not be in attendance when the event occurs. He definately would have made the hall without the useage nonetheless.

I keep telling people this, but they just don't buy it... Steroids doesn't help hand-eye coordination and Barry has one of the best of the game...

Good luck to Barry in pursuit of 756...

:bandana: :huh: :D

he doesn't believe Bonds career numbers have been effected by any substance.

This is absolutely ridiculous. If steroids don't give you at least some kind of an advantage or improvement, what is the point of breaking the law to take them? Very very very very very few people think illegal performance enhancing drugs will turn some nobody into a baseball legend, but that doesn't mean they have no effect. The issue here is that Bonds(and MANY other players in many sports) have attempted to gain an advantage through shady and illegal means, and to me that's very disconcerting.

No one thinks that Bonds sucks. It's just a shame we'll never know how his already excellent career would have panned out, if he would have went against the needle and illegal PE drug mentality.

two things:

one man's opinion.

:bandana: :huh: :D

I would absolutely love to see Bonds suffer a horrible injury, preferably when he's one home run shy of Aaron's record.

I would then like the injury to develop into an infection, which results in him suffering a slow, painful death.

Seriously.

:pointstosky:

I would go with a fork. There's a good chance you can get both eyes with 1 stab, plus you can do some damage in between.

Your welcome! :pointstosky:

I would absolutely love to see Bonds suffer a horrible injury, preferably when he's one home run shy of Aaron's record.

I would then like the injury to develop into an infection, which results in him suffering a slow, painful death.

Seriously.

:pointstosky:

NewbieJr. Building a nicer, more peaceful board, one post at a time.

two things:

one man's opinion.

I could not disagree more.

1. Whoo hoo he stole a base. Thats impressive? So he can manage to do what most good ballplayers do. Something he stole 40 of in one season to become a 40/40 man at one time. Goooo barrry.

2. This is THE DUMBEST arguement I have heard. Of course roids are not going to make you hit a curve that breaks from 12 to 6 or a 103 mph fastball. He had those skills before he took the roids. But its just stupid to think that more muscle would not give him more power in his swing. Long fly balls that would have died at the warning track turn into homers that just clear the wall.

He is a cheater. Plain and simple.

two things:

So steroids wouldn't help a person's muscles move faster, allowing a batter to wait that extra-split second. That split second can be the difference between deciding if it's in the wheelhouse or not. Seemed that steroids made Ben Johnson's legs move faster, probably they'd help a batter swing faster.

I could not disagree more.

1. Whoo hoo he stole a base. Thats impressive? So he can manage to do what most good ballplayers do. Something he stole 40 of in one season to become a 40/40 man at one time. Goooo barrry.

2. This is THE DUMBEST arguement I have heard. Of course roids are not going to make you hit a curve that breaks from 12 to 6 or a 103 mph fastball. He had those skills before he took the roids. But its just stupid to think that more muscle would not give him more power in his swing. Long fly balls that would have died at the warning track turn into homers that just clear the wall.

He is a cheater. Plain and simple.

Yeah, he and McGuire and maybe Sosa, unless he sucks, cheated and deserve to be scapegoated for destroying the integrity of the game while we ignore everyone else that used steroids or amphetamines because none of them were chasing long standing records. Especially records like most consecutive games played, or stolen bases, or career hits. And we should focus on the hitters because no pitcher would come back at 40+ years old to be better than he has ever been and have the whole steroid issue ignored. :bench:

Bonds is a cheat at his proffesion and a prickly little butth0le of a person. He's a very talented cheat, but a cheat nonetheless.

i'm not denying that bonds still has an undeniable talent... i mean regardless of steroid use it is still hard to hit a ball... but you can't say that steroids don't help him hit the ball a lot further... how many pop flies that would be warning track outs or shorter have gone out because of the roids???

should pros be allowed to use aluminum bats then??? i mean you still have to hit a round ball with a round bat?? i don't think using an aluminum bat would help any pros numbers... :bench:

There is no doubt that he is good at hitting the ball... but steroids help quite a bit. Also... just throwing an idea out there... do you think mark grace would have hit a lot more homers in his career if he'd taken steroids??? i mean he was a great hitter who made contact all the time. If he had beefed up could he have hit 40-50 hr a year???

Yeah, he and McGuire and maybe Sosa, unless he sucks, cheated and deserve to be scapegoated for destroying the integrity of the game while we ignore everyone else that used steroids or amphetamines because none of them were chasing long standing records. Especially records like most consecutive games played, or stolen bases, or career hits. And we should focus on the hitters because no pitcher would come back at 40+ years old to be better than he has ever been and have the whole steroid issue ignored. :bench:

Who is ignoring it. Sammy is a cheater and so is Big Mac. BTW, No one else is getting ready to break a long standing record due to using roids.

Who is ignoring it. Sammy is a cheater and so is Big Mac. BTW, No one else is getting ready to break a long standing record due to using roids.

Exactly, and Cal Ripken Jr NEVER EVER used anything that was the tiniest bit against the rules. Ricky Henderson? That guy is blameless, the reason he saw little bugs flitting around his head in every interview you ever saw was BECAUSE THEY WERE THERE and WE couldn't see them. Pete Rose breaking the hits record? Another fine upstanding individual who would never ever use an illegal substance. McGuire and Sosa and Bonds are destroying the sport! :bench: Hank Aaron never took greenies, he was his only one of the generation who didn't! :dunno:

injure myself because of this cheating fock? no thanks...

i treat him the same way i do the nba or ncaa title game...

its as if it didnt happen...i wont see him until he waddles into miller park in the middle of june...

til then..he can eat a big hgh filled sheet burger...

Exactly, and Cal Ripken Jr NEVER EVER used anything that was the tiniest bit against the rules. Ricky Henderson? That guy is blameless, the reason he saw little bugs flitting around his head in every interview you ever saw was BECAUSE THEY WERE THERE and WE couldn't see them. Pete Rose breaking the hits record? Another fine upstanding individual who would never ever use an illegal substance. McGuire and Sosa and Bonds are destroying the sport! :bench: Hank Aaron never took greenies, he was his only one of the generation who didn't! :dunno:

All that you say is possibly true; it doesn't change the fact that Bonds is a cheat. He's gonna break the most sacred record in sports, and he's going to do it illegally.

How many of them were linked to BALCO?

How many of them used HGH.

How many of them came in at 185 and bulked up to 230 pounds?

How many of them had their heads swell to 3 times the size from their rookie year.

All that you say is possibly true; it doesn't change the fact that Bonds is a cheat. He's gonna break the most sacred record in sports, and he's going to do it illegally.

Exactly! Some dude on the Internet proclaimed Hank Aaron's home record to be the greatest in sports and Bonds is about to break it! :bench: Ignore all of the records that were arguably greater that have been broken by alleged cheaters in the past 25 years recently and focus on this alleged cheater! :dunno: Ignore the fact that the guy that set the record was cheating and punish Bonds to teach them all a lesson. :P

How many of them were linked to BALCO?

How many of them used HGH.

How many of them came in at 185 and bulked up to 230 pounds?

How many of them had their heads swell to 3 times the size from their rookie year.

So players using illegal supplements other than HGH and those supplied by BALCO are cool with you?

Is it just players that gained weight over their career? Here you go.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/images/headli...4/27765_512.jpg

Look at the size of his head!

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/p...lus-Posters.jpg

Exactly! Some dude on the Internet proclaimed Hank Aaron's home record to be the greatest in sports and Bonds is about to break it! :bench: Ignore all of the records that were arguably greater that have been broken by alleged cheaters in the past 25 years recently and focus on this alleged cheater! :dunno: Ignore the fact that the guy that set the record was cheating and punish Bonds to teach them all a lesson. :P

So players using illegal supplements other than HGH and those supplied by BALCO are cool with you?

Is it just players that gained weight over their career? Here you go.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/images/headli...4/27765_512.jpg

Look at the size of his head!

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/p...lus-Posters.jpg

Its not gained weight, Its gained muscle that bothers me. And I am not sure what YOU are seeing that I am not but the pics of clemens do nothing for your case. His head is not huge and he has not doubled his bodys muscle mass.

:ninja:

Its not gained weight, Its gained muscle that bothers me. And I am not sure what YOU are seeing that I am not but the pics of clemens do nothing for your case. His head is not huge and he has not doubled his bodys muscle mass.

Look at his head! :mad: It is huge! Besides, NO ONE can put up his best year at 40+ years old! It is impossible and proof that he is on steroids. No one that decides to spend 5 months sacrificing speed for mass can do that! Even someone who has a 5 month off season and all the money he needs to hire the best professionals in the world to help train him in a new direction. It is impossible to improve your game in your mid 30's or later without cheating impossible I tell you!

Bonds is a cheat at his proffesion and a prickly little butth0le of a person. He's a very talented cheat, but a cheat nonetheless.

:pointstosky: :banana: :mad:

Barry Bonds is free to pursue a HR record despite using illegal substances. Pete Rose is not allowed into the Hall of Fame.

This type of consistency is yet another reason why baseball is no longer considered a major sport. Most of it's fan base is 50+ years old. Baseball is on the verge of being in the same realm as hockey, completely irrelevant and zero fans.

Cal Ripken Jr.

Most over-rated player in major league history. Congrats on that.

This is absolutely ridiculous. If steroids don't give you at least some kind of an advantage or improvement, what is the point of breaking the law to take them? Very very very very very few people think illegal performance enhancing drugs will turn some nobody into a baseball legend, but that doesn't mean they have no effect. The issue here is that Bonds(and MANY other players in many sports) have attempted to gain an advantage through shady and illegal means, and to me that's very disconcerting.

Except that more than 1/2 of MLB pitchers were reportedly on 'roids. Closer to 70% according to Canseco, who turned out to be quite credible.

See, getting stronger as a hitter may or may not help you. You still have to make perfect contact with a baseball that's coming at you very quickly, and 'roids don't help with that part.

But for an MLB pitcher, steroids/strength can mean another 3-5 MPH on your fastball - and the difference between a 90 MPH heater and a 95 MPH heater is several million dollars a season. And it also makes it a hell of a lot harder for hitters to have success.

And Bonds was one of those hitters - facing 'roid rage Clemens against HOU, facing all those guys.

Point is that it was a level playing field - so why single out Bonds? The message in making Bonds the scapegoat clearly is that it's ok to cheat, just don't be the best player who cheated. :thumbsdown:

So steroids wouldn't help a person's muscles move faster, allowing a batter to wait that extra-split second. That split second can be the difference between deciding if it's in the wheelhouse or not. Seemed that steroids made Ben Johnson's legs move faster, probably they'd help a batter swing faster.

If steroids were some magic pill, everyone would be hitting 70 HRs. Bobby Estellela was so ripped that his chestplate looked like it was a little leaguer's, and he hit TOWERING HRs. But he sure didn't hit very many of them.

you're welcome.

Barry Bonds is free to pursue a HR record despite using illegal substances. Pete Rose is not allowed into the Hall of Fame.

This type of consistency is yet another reason why baseball is no longer considered a major sport. Most of it's fan base is 50+ years old. Baseball is on the verge of being in the same realm as hockey, completely irrelevant and zero fans.

Old Petey gambled on baseball. Apples and oranges. If Bonds bet on baseball he'd be shunned too.

hth

Old Petey gambled on baseball. Apples and oranges. If Bonds bet on baseball he'd be shunned too.

hth

Taking steroids is worse than betting on your team to win.

WSIS. NBSD. POM. TIA. BBIAFCP.

Also, we can argue semantics all day long. But I think we can all agree that Barry Bonds should get AIDS and die.

Um. I don't want to get too deeply into this. I kind of made my peace with the whole thing. But are people really still saying steriods/HGH doesn't help increase offensive production? :cry: :dunno:

Correct, this is why I cant stand baseball anymore. Use drugs as much as you like and tarnish the games image and thats o.k. Bet on baseball and your out for life :dunno: . Beat your wife, rape some women, cheat on your taxes thats all o.k., bet on baseball your out for life. I just dont get it. :cry:

Except that more than 1/2 of MLB pitchers were reportedly on 'roids. Closer to 70% according to Canseco, who turned out to be quite credible.

See, getting stronger as a hitter may or may not help you. You still have to make perfect contact with a baseball that's coming at you very quickly, and 'roids don't help with that part.

But for an MLB pitcher, steroids/strength can mean another 3-5 MPH on your fastball - and the difference between a 90 MPH heater and a 95 MPH heater is several million dollars a season. And it also makes it a hell of a lot harder for hitters to have success.

And Bonds was one of those hitters - facing 'roid rage Clemens against HOU, facing all those guys.

Point is that it was a level playing field - so why single out Bonds? The message in making Bonds the scapegoat clearly is that it's ok to cheat, just don't be the best player who cheated. :dunno:

If steroids were some magic pill, everyone would be hitting 70 HRs. Bobby Estellela was so ripped that his chestplate looked like it was a little leaguer's, and he hit TOWERING HRs. But he sure didn't hit very many of them.

you're welcome.

hth

So you are taking the word of Canseco? Even though he may be right on a few things he also may be pissed that he is not still playing ball.

Your point of it being a level playing field because has got to be the dumbest thing you have said so far. I don't want to seem like I am attacking you but you just keep saying things that are so far out there its nuts.

The bad thing about all this is that Barry would have made it to the hall of fame without the roids. He still was going to get his 500 home runs and 3,000 hits. He still made it to the 40/40 club. He has always had the skills to be that great ballplayer. He just got greedy and decided he wanted to hit more home runs.

Point is that it was a level playing field - so why single out Bonds?

Who here is singling out Bonds? I don't support any of these drugged up players, and I think it's sad to accept all the illegal performance enhancing drug use simply because everyone is doing it.

If steroids were some magic pill, everyone would be hitting 70 HRs.

As I said before, anyone with half a brain understands that steroids alone won't make you a superstar, so there's no point in bringing it up.

Who here is singling out Bonds? I don't support any of these drugged up players, and I think it's sad to accept all the illegal performance enhancing drug use simply because everyone is doing it.

And yet this topic is singularly about Bonds. Duh.

:(

As I said before, anyone with half a brain understands that steroids alone won't make you a superstar, so there's no point in bringing it up.

Apparently there is, since so many are saying Bonds would have sucked without them, or that they helped him so much.

The bad thing about all this is that Barry would have made it to the hall of fame without the roids. He still was going to get his 500 home runs and 3,000 hits. He still made it to the 40/40 club. He has always had the skills to be that great ballplayer. He just got greedy and decided he wanted to hit more home runs.

100% correct.

Nobody is saying that steroids made Bonds a great player. He was already great.

Steroids turned Bonds into a huge power-hitter, which he never was during his natural days. He was the 3-35 HR, with 40 steals, and excellent outfield play-guy. When McGuire and Sosa were getting all the accolades for the Maris chase, Bonds decided it wasn't good enough to be baseball's best all-around player. He decided he was going to abuse roids so heavily that his body and head would double in size.

He is now going to break a record that is the most covetted in sports. If he was a decent human. he would retire before he ruins the record book forever. If he doesn't, I sincerely hope that someone who is as pissed about as me, but not quite as intelligent, takes it into his own hands to stop him.

And yet this topic is singularly about Bonds. Duh.

:mad:

Apparently there is, since so many are saying Bonds would have sucked without them, or that they helped him so much.

No one is saying he would have sucked without them. He was a 5 tool player that would have made it to the HOF without any help from roids. His big head got to him and he could not stand to have people getting attention for hitting so many home runs while he was being left out. So he juiced.