Sign in to follow this  
BeeWhitey

Brees, Brees, Brees...

Wow. I mean... Wow! That NO Offense looked like... NO OFFENSE!?! Glad I am not overreacting (yet), but jeez... that was putrid.

Will Drew Purdue rebound?

Was he worth a late-2nd round pick (I thought he was...)?

Does NO have an O-line?

Is Reggie overrated... OK, that's another subject.

Anyway, I did not like what I saw tonight out of Brees. Bottom line..

Boiled Up B :headbanger:

Copycat league - now they know how to stop him. Last season was a fluke. He'll still have good games here and there, but not on the scale of last season. Sorry to all Brees owners hoping for another repeat magical season. :headbanger:

Well, one week does not a season make... BUT, the honeymoon is definitely over for NO's Offense. Agreed.

Hopefully for fantasy sake, they start out 0-2, then Brees has no choice but to fling it all day long thereafter!?!

P.S. - Reggie Bush is the most overrated player in the NFL... glad I have no other Saints on my FF roster, aside from Brees!!!

Well, one week does not a season make... BUT, the honeymoon is definitely over for NO's Offense. Agreed.

Hopefully for fantasy sake, they start out 0-2, then Brees has no choice but to fling it all day long thereafter!?!

P.S. - Reggie Bush is the most overrated player in the NFL... glad I have no other Saints on my FF roster, aside from Brees!!!

I also have few saints on my teams. Only one per team, one team has Bush, one has Deuce and a third has Olindo. Of course the RBs are my second options. I knew this offense was not a perenial power. They will still be good, but not like last year. Only one guy can, "Cut the Meat" every year and his name is not Brees. I was almost forgot the saints were playing as they were looking like the Raiders offense. There is a Brees suicide watch thread for Brees owners. I suggest they go there and talk this out instead of killing themselves. I bet Grossman has a better week 1 than Brees did.

Wow. I mean... Wow! That NO Offense looked like... NO OFFENSE!?! Glad I am not overreacting (yet), but jeez... that was putrid.

Will Drew Purdue rebound?

Was he worth a late-2nd round pick (I thought he was...)?

Does NO have an O-line?

Is Reggie overrated... OK, that's another subject.

Anyway, I did not like what I saw tonight out of Brees. Bottom line..

Boiled Up B :pointstosky:

I thought the saints were outcoached mainly. I would buy Saints skill players low if people panic because of this game, but I would hope that next week, I'd see more running and designed short passing in the game

Copycat league - now they know how to stop him. Last season was a fluke. He'll still have good games here and there, but not on the scale of last season. Sorry to all Brees owners hoping for another repeat magical season. :pointstosky:

he was the #1 overall pick in my 12 team non keeper league.

:pointstosky:

For starters, Sean Payton is gonna have to be a bit more creative than he was last year in utilizing Bush. That swing pass in the flats with an O-lineman pulling ain't gonna work this season.

The few times they ran it, the play was stuffed. I don't have any Saints this year, but a few people in my division do; as a result, I'm :pointstosky: today.

the team was outplayed and outcoached. Ind came out like Superbowl champs and rushed Brees all night long.

he was lucky that he was not taken out for the season with Injury.

This was a huge wake-up call to the Saints, they had a great pre-season, and were badly outplayed in the season opener. They will have 10 days to stew over this, they have an early bye in week 4, so if they are not playing back in week 5, that is time to panic.

They can get this thing figured out.

The pros: Brees is still a legit QB, he was great on SD and he's great on NO, he had a bad night, but mostly because they took the running game out early and they were after him all night.

He came in with no time left in the game and was still tossing it, the team looks hungry and embarrassed at the end and this will bode well for an attitude adjustment. Eric Johnson looks like a nice p/u

The cons: they did not throw the ball downfield at all, the line did not block well, and the wrs looked ordinary.

Brees is one of the centerpieces of my time, and I'm concerned, but I'm not ready to press panic button ... yet.

CAN WE ALL PLEASE REMEMBER SOMETHING.

THEY ARE STILL THE NEW ORLEANS SAINTS! :pointstosky: :banana:

i'm surprised the saints didn't utilize mccallister more. i thought that the adjustment at the half would be to rely on him to carry the load and wear down the colts D. i'm glad they didn't though, because the guys i was playing had him...of course, he had manning too, so that kinda sucked.

So ... sad ... today ....

I started Brees AND Bush last night *sigh*

It's the first game, too early to make predictions at this point. I'm not jumping on the panic train yet!

But still ... do you think it was more the Indy D, or just a flat Saints O?

Their gameplan was complete garbage. Brees didn't throw a single pass over 10 yards until late in the 4th quarter when the game was over. And one of those was returned for a TD by the Colts. If he thinks he's going to build stats by throwing screens to Bush all year and 5 yard passes to Eric Johnson, it will be a LOOOONNNNGGG season for the Saints and Brees owners...

Their gameplan was complete garbage. Brees didn't throw a single pass over 10 yards until late in the 4th quarter when the game was over. And one of those was returned for a TD by the Colts. If he thinks he's going to build stats by throwing screens to Bush all year and 5 yard passes to Eric Johnson, it will be a LOOOONNNNGGG season for the Saints and Brees owners...

Agreed :pointstosky:

I remember in the beginning of the broadcast they had mentioned that Sean Payton predicted that Brees should have a high completion percentage tonight. Well duh, if you don't throw the ball over 5 yards thats not much of a prediction.

If he thinks he's going to build stats by throwing screens to Bush all year and 5 yard passes to Eric Johnson, it will be a LOOOONNNNGGG season for the Saints and Brees owners...

I'm betting his main interest isn't building stats for his fantasy owners.

I love the reactions after the first game on this site, it's so predictable.

Oh my god you guys please get down from the chair and take the nuece off your neck please!!!

Other than being out of rhythm and a stalled running game, I think they really missed Joe Horn or a player like him in this game.

Not sure if it's because they've been nicked up, but Colston & Henderson didn't look like they could separate from the Indy DBs at all. All of the few pass attempts down field were heavily contested.

Their WRs need to establish their roles against regular season defenses now with Horn gone.. I know the running game didn't help, but one hand washes the other and it seems they have to make some adjustments.

I think their skill players should be fine for fantasy this year.. people just need to temper their expectations a bit. Sean Payton is a smart guy. He'll get them going in the right direction.

Game 1 last year, Brees threw for 170 yards, 1 TD, 1INT against the freakin Browns. How did that passing offense finish the year by the way?

People...its one freakin game...settle the fock down.

The Saints got out coached last night. Simple as that. It was pretty obvious after the first half what Indy was going to do on defense. They were bound and determined to take away the deep pass. The safeties played back, allowing no one to get behind them. The DE's were unleashed on Brees. He didn't complete long passes because they weren't there, and he didn't have time to let them develop. There's a pretty efficient way to counter that however. You put your big full back in the game and run isolation after isolation with your thumper (Deuce) right at those DEs. Mixing in a few runs up the gut along the way. You have to beat them up and wear them down, and as a result, force those safeties to walk up and commit to the run. Otherwise you play right into their specialty. This is exactly what Indy's D is built to do.

I should add that NO isn't going to see that kind of pass rush every week. Brees and the offense will be fine, although I do find it a bit disturbing that the coaching staff wasn't willing to adjust their gameplan...

The Saints should just forfeit the rest of the season. We all know there's no way to bounce back from a horrible week 1. I just traded Brees and Bush for Jason Campbell and Wali Lundy. :unsure:

I also have few saints on my teams. Only one per team, one team has Bush, one has Deuce and a third has Olindo. Of course the RBs are my second options. I knew this offense was not a perenial power. They will still be good, but not like last year. Only one guy can, "Cut the Meat" every year and his name is not Brees. I was almost forgot the saints were playing as they were looking like the Raiders offense. There is a Brees suicide watch thread for Brees owners. I suggest they go there and talk this out instead of killing themselves. I bet Grossman has a better week 1 than Brees did.

Actually, Brees' stats tell quite a different story:

2004...sdg...15...262...400...65.5...3159...7.9...27...7

2005...sdg...16...323...500...64.6...3576...7.2...24...15

2006...nor...16...356...554...64.3...4418...8.0...26...11

Looks to me like he's "cut the meat" rather nicely the last three years....

They need to stop trying to force Reggie ! Get some spread sets with brees in shotgun and let him do what he does.

I think Payton Learns from this game and Brees gets alot better shortly.

The Saints got out coached last night. Simple as that. It was pretty obvious after the first half what Indy was going to do on defense. They were bound and determined to take away the deep pass. The safeties played back, allowing no one to get behind them. The DE's were unleashed on Brees. He didn't complete long passes because they weren't there, and he didn't have time to let them develop. There's a pretty efficient way to counter that however. You put your big full back in the game and run isolation after isolation with your thumper (Deuce) right at those DEs. Mixing in a few runs up the gut along the way. You have to beat them up and wear them down, and as a result, force those safeties to walk up and commit to the run. Otherwise you play right into their specialty. This is exactly what Indy's D is built to do.

I should add that NO isn't going to see that kind of pass rush every week. Brees and the offense will be fine, although I do find it a bit disturbing that the coaching staff wasn't willing to adjust their gameplan...

Excellent post, Xeris. :thumbsup:

Game 1 last year, Brees threw for 170 yards, 1 TD, 1INT against the freakin Browns. How did that passing offense finish the year by the way?

People...its one freakin game...settle the fock down.

To be fair, you're comparing his first game with the Saints to his 19th. That said, every QB has a few bad games during the season, I agree, no need to panic after getting trounced by the best team in the NFL.