Sign in to follow this  
The Bag-O-Bones

Ricky Williams - Re-instated

if he doesn't have a team, does it matter?

if he doesn't have a team, does it matter?

With the amount of injuries to RBs he will have one soon.

Report: Ricky Williams reinstated

Ricky Williams, RB MIA

News: ESPN is reporting that Ricky Williams will be reinstated by the NFL. He had been suspended for the last 18 months for violating the NFL's Substance Abuse Policy. The Dolphins will get a two-week roster exemption for Williams when his suspension is lifted.

Analysis: We have yet to confirm the story, but if it's true, it's expected that Williams will need a little time to get into game shape before he takes to the field. Jesse Chatman has been holding down the RB job admirably since starter Ronnie Brown tore his ACL earlier this season. If Williams is indeed back, he'd be worth a roster spot only in the deepest of Fantasy Football leagues.

The above is from CBS Sportsline, for what it's worth. Even if he's traded to another team, I doubt he'd have much effect for a few weeks after being out of football for so long. This CBS post also doesn't mention if the reinstatement will be immediate or at some point in the future.

Does the trade deadline not apply to Williams?

actually, i'd think it would be more like clearing waivers than anything else at this point...

i'm assuming (just based off what i can remember right now) that if MIA doesn't activate him, that means he has to clear waivers before they can just put him on the practive squad?

So basically they have to activate, or someone else can claim him, correct?

and i would not think that he is 'tradeable' at this time because of the deadline that has passed... kind of leaves MIA in an awkward position... either keep him active, or risk possibly losing him... and if they waive him, does that mean he doesn't owe them any of the money any more?? i'd be interested to hear from someone w/ actual knowledge of how all that works.... where's Mort when you need him to tell you insight into the rules instead of his made-up insight of rumors??

I don't know any reason why it wouldn't. I forgot about the trade deadline--my mistake.

Edit: My original comment was intended more to address R. Williams possibly winding up with another team and his prospects, rather than how he gets there (such as by being waived by Miami and being picked up by another team). At the same time, I take full responsibility for forgetting about the issue of the NFL trading deadline--perhaps it was due to the increasing onset of my senility. :nono: I also wanted to add that he might be a decent pick-up, though, for the end of the year, with the way RBs have dropped like flies this year.

No, cause it's likely he'll get cut by the Dolphins. Then he's free.

I picked him up in my league as a long shot because i had the roster space. Its not likely he will play but if you were the dolphins:

The season is already done. Why not try and play Williams in a couple of games to see if he can fetch anything in a trade over the off season. No one knows what kind of shape ricky is in or what the dolphins are planning.

Coach Cam Cameron is expected to talk to team leaders within the next two days to discuss their reaction to the possibility of Williams' return.

Once Williams' reinstatement is made official, the Dolphins will have two weeks to decide whether to bring him back. The fact that Cameron will ask his team indicates that Miami is at least open to the idea of bringing him back.

Do you think Green Bay would be a place Ricky might end up ?

The growing season is too short, brah. :bandana:

I have had Ricky on my bench for a long time just because it would be so much fun if he actually got back on the field. :shocking: It's still a real long shot, I know.

Do you think Green Bay would be a place Ricky might end up ?

He'd be a beast on New England.

And although it's not close to being in football shape Ricky does love his yoga and it's being reported that he's at 225 lbs.

I have heard the Dolphins will want to play him to show what he's capable of so that they can trade him for something of value. I don't think they will outright cut him.

I kept him because my RB2 is a joke and needed a playoff Hail Mary. No matter what shape he is in, he's gotta be better than at least 1/3 of the RB starters right now. Sadly, Chatman is running well. I doubt Ricky will get a whiff of the field in Miami.

Don't forget, he sucked in Toronto. He couldn't brake tackles and looked very slow. I think he had 1 or 2 td's all year.

Coach Cam Cameron is expected to talk to team leaders within the next two days to discuss their reaction to the possibility of Williams' return.

Once Williams' reinstatement is made official, the Dolphins will have two weeks to decide whether to bring him back. The fact that Cameron will ask his team indicates that Miami is at least open to the idea of bringing him back.

Don't expect guys like Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor to get on board with this. They're very much not Ricky Williams fans after all he has put the Dolphins through.

He'd be a beast on New England.

And although it's not close to being in football shape Ricky does love his yoga and it's being reported that he's at 225 lbs.

Yeah... cause lord knows Maroney is getting all kinds of carries in that pass-happy offense... :doublethumbsup:

In the 11 games that he played during 2006 CFL regular season, Williams rushed 109 times for 526 yards, scoring 2 TDs and his longest run was 35 yards. He also caught 19 passes for 127 yards.

Yeah... cause lord knows Maroney is getting all kinds of carries in that pass-happy offense... :D

When the weather gets colder and snow & rain come into play I'm guessing NE will pass less and run more. Just a hunch.

In the 11 games that he played during 2006 CFL regular season, Williams rushed 109 times for 526 yards, scoring 2 TDs and his longest run was 35 yards. He also caught 19 passes for 127 yards.

Apples & Oranges

I say that the Dolphins suit him up after a two weeks of re-calibration. They're 0-8 for Jebus' sake what do they have to lose. If he flames out then they cut him. If he breaks his leg then they dump him on the IR. You really don't know what value he has. But if 75 year old Vinny Testaverde can suit up then Ricky can. Can he catch a ball? Maybe they could convert him to a blocking TE.

Seriously? I am not up on my CFL stats but how does that performance compare in the NFL? In the NFL if I saw 100 carries averaging almost 5ypc I would be impressed. Especially considering he only averaged 10 carries a game and he is a guy who got better as games go on. I am going to assume the CFL is crap and great stats like that don't mean anything unless anyone has reason to think otherwise.

Considering how many NFL players have gotten away basically scott free for DUIs during the 18 months Ricky was gone, I'd say it's about time the league got a character boost.

Guest _my_2_cents_

Food for thought:

1. Dolphins have stated with some frequency that they do not want Ricky Williams back on the team. That he would be a distraction, and that they have hard feelings about why he was suspended in the 1st place. Some of you are acting like the Dolphins should be thrilled to get him back, but may not be considering that he pretty much focked them over with his addiction to the hippy lettuce.

2. He wouldn't be able to play until November 26th at the earliest. That leaves 5 weeks of the season left.

3. He has been playing in the CFL, but reportedly has not been very effective. Meanwhile Chatman is enough of a coach's favorite to force Ronnie Brown to split carries with him - I don't see Rasta being the apple of Cam's eye.

4. Miami has an entirely different playbook. Some of you seem to think that Rasta will be able to come in and get down the playbook without having practiced once, participated in a single mini-camp or preseason session, without working with the coaching staff, etc. There's no way in hell Rasta picks all that up in 2 weeks. I'd be impressed if he learned a good chunk of it in a month. That would hold true for just about any team - so even if MIA dumps him and someone else picks him up, you really think he'll learn a whole new playbook? :pointstosky:

Like I said - food for thought. Might not be 100% on, but I think there's merit to much of it.

Washed up. You can't spend multiple years getting stoned and expect to come back and be a professional athlete at an advanced age.

I like Ricky as a person a lot, and I wish he fit better in the NFL, but he just wasn't ready for the success and unfortunately the league doesn't like his self medication.

Forget were I read it, but I think I saw that if he's put on the Dolphins roster in '07 he will be an UFA in '08. For people in keeper leagues that could be a good pick up depending on were he ends up playing in '08.

I say that the Dolphins suit him up after a two weeks of re-calibration. They're 0-8 for Jebus' sake what do they have to lose. If he flames out then they cut him. If he breaks his leg then they dump him on the IR. You really don't know what value he has. But if 75 year old Vinny Testaverde can suit up then Ricky can. Can he catch a ball? Maybe they could convert him to a blocking TE.

Hm, they do need, they do want, just one win. One thing you can say for Cam is that (not in MIA here, so tell me if I'm wrong) he has not lost his team.

So Run Ricky Run, who quit on the same franchise, would come in and displace Chatman, Booker and Cobbs who have been working since summer?

One thing Miami is not having problems with is the RB situation or running the football.

A few years back Williams came back in and proved to be a heck of a FF pickup; I just don't see that happening this year.

Williams applied for reinstatement in the NFL on October 1, 2007. [24] ESPN News announced on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 that Ricky Williams will be reinstated into the NFL. Williams is allowed to practice with his team, but he will not be eligible to play in a game until Week 12 of the 2007 NFL season.

Link

I can't understand for 1 nano second why anyone, anywhere would think that Ricky will ever contribute to an NFL team ever again.

Did you ever think that Priest Holmes would play again?

I believe that Ricky will play this year. His body is well prepared and the rest of the NFL has been banging it out all season, and preseason, so Ricky has to be fresh.

Ricky will be auditioning for next year so I expect this former Heisman winner to perform up to a #2RB.

Best case scenario is that the Dolphins cut him and he becomes a free agent, then lands on a team that can use his services immediately.

Guest _my_2_cents_
Best case scenario is that the Dolphins cut him and he becomes a free agent, then lands on a team that can use his services immediately.

I dunno why, but I get this gut feeling that the fish might just say, "fock you Ricky" and park him on the practice squad...bench. He jacked them out of millions in revinue, caused them to lose their superstar player, cheesed off the fans, his teammates, etc.

If I owned that team I'd sit him on the bench on the practice squad. Wouldn't let him take a snap. Why should I help him get rich after what he did to us?

But that's just me...

I can't understand for 1 nano second why anyone, anywhere would think that Ricky will ever contribute to an NFL team ever again.

Maybe because he was a bad ass before he was robbed of his career due to smoking a natural substance that the NFL should not even test for.

Guest _my_2_cents_
Maybe because he was a bad ass before he was robbed of his career due to smoking a natural substance that the NFL should not even test for.

while I appreciate your need to get up on a soapbox and while I agree that it's dumb to throw someone out of football for smoking weed when steroids and HGH have been rampant forver and a day....

but the fact is that Ricky Williams focked over his team by violating the league's drug policy. Whether you agree with the policy or not is irrelevant. Wjat matters is that Williams put his hippy lettuce over the fans of Miami and the team he played for.

I am fine with anyone smoking pot - but you can't break the rules when you sign a multi-million dollar contract and playing for an NFL team.

The bottom line though, is that it's possible R. Williams may have some value in the last few weeks of the season, and for those of us with devastated RBs and available roster space (which I have since I just made a 3 for 1 deal) I think he's worth a shot. I agree that Miami isn't keen on him, but suppose Chatman gets injured and the Fins think Williams gives them the best chance to finally win a game? Or suppose Miami cuts him (I don't know what the ramifications would be as far as his salary or any amount owed, so that's pure speculation) and he signs with another NFL team that says "The hell with the playbook, we're just going to plant some weed in the end zone and say "Go get it Ricky!!!"? Just saying he possibly could be helpful to those of us looking at starting D. Ward or B. Leonard.

while I appreciate your need to get up on a soapbox and while I agree that it's dumb to throw someone out of football for smoking weed when steroids and HGH have been rampant forver and a day....

but the fact is that Ricky Williams focked over his team by violating the league's drug policy. Whether you agree with the policy or not is irrelevant. Wjat matters is that Williams put his hippy lettuce over the fans of Miami and the team he played for.

I am fine with anyone smoking pot - but you can't break the rules when you sign a multi-million dollar contract and playing for an NFL team.

All true. But he was responding to a guy who basically said that Ricky could not contribute. The fact is he was a top 5 back the day he left the NFL only 2 years ago. He is kind of a workout freak and has not really been pounded on for 2 years. If he stays clean, he could be a dominant back for years to come.