Sign in to follow this  
RLLD

DOW is down to 11,796.24

The Fed has further intervened in the markets, and capped the shorts on those organizations in peril, teh market is reacting to this. This was key to saving these companies in the short term, without it the shorts would certainly have ravaged them.

Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Lehman Brothers, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch and Morgan Stanley all jsut got a reprieve. And for Freddie, Fannie and Lehman it might extend them, but if you look at their filings and their cash flows they will still have to keep trying to sell assets.

As usual, the Fed's actions have done nothing to address the problem, and only extended it... <_<

Ok, I'll ask an admittedly dumb question. How does the Fed capping the shorts help those organizations?? Don't the shorts only affect the stock price, which has no direct ties to the actual company other than the BOD & CEO trying to keep the price as high as possible to keep the voting stockholders happy?? :wave:

I realize that I'm prolly missing something here, but I don't get how the two interact enough to have that kind of effect.

Ok, I'll ask an admittedly dumb question. How does the Fed capping the shorts help those organizations?? Don't the shorts only affect the stock price, which has no direct ties to the actual company other than the BOD & CEO trying to keep the price as high as possible to keep the voting stockholders happy?? :wub:

I realize that I'm prolly missing something here, but I don't get how the two interact enough to have that kind of effect.

By capping the shorts they are limiting the ability of these people to ravage a company in peril.....short sellers can ( and havein the past) collude to assail a company, garnering more and more profit from the on going destruction as the stock drops.

Short sellers borrow shares and sell them in the hopes the stock's price will fall, allowing them to pay back the lower price. "Naked" short sellers do not borrow the shares first, allowing them to drive down the stock's price without regard for natural supply and demand. The Fed stopped the naked stuff on a number of organizations that they know do not have enough capital to cover the losses they are absorbing.

That being said, the CDO people can still go after these companies, and could still destroy them.....the big thing is getting the short's to ease up.....companies getting ravaged by both the shorts AND the CDO's likely dont survive

:doublethumbsup:

It's really become a comedy hasn't it?

You can just watch it all unfold like magic, the fed is making horrible decisions, over and over....and now the takover.

Of course, you try to explain this to people before it unfolds, but some (some notable examples here) refuse to apply knowledge, and only know what they read in the paper, or can regurgitate from others.... :rolleyes:

It's really become a comedy hasn't it?

You can just watch it all unfold like magic, the fed is making horrible decisions, over and over....and now the takover.

Of course, you try to explain this to people before it unfolds, but some (some notable examples here) refuse to apply knowledge, and only know what they read in the paper, or can regurgitate from others.... :unsure:

You know what they say, a picture is worth, like a bunch of words or something.

You know what they say, a picture is worth, like a bunch of words or something.

Honestly bruh, at this point....if people refuse to "get it" there is little point in trying to explain it to them....

I think enough warning was present for even a modestly intelligent person to take action to protect themselves.

Now that it is in full swing the big question will be trying to predict the recovery.... :lol:

The lowest low from back in July has been violated. Not good news technically speaking....see if it can end the day on a bounce. :wave:

The lowest low from back in July has been violated. Not good news technically speaking....see if it can end the day on a bounce. :wave:

Of course if it rises a smidgen RP will be along to say how ridiculous we all are for worrying....[KevinBacon] ALL IS WELLLL!!!!![/KevinBacon]

Then strike will follow up with how it is morally right to rape people for unjustifiable profits, I am sure Skilling would be proud... :doublethumbsup:

Could today be the day it tilts under 10K? Perhaps tomorrow or Friday??

:unsure:

:D :ninja:

Just got a feeling right now we are headed to another full out deppression not unlike the 1930's. Hopefully it won't be as bad but Goverment is throwing bandaids left an right that can't last as a solution. I don't think it will be as bad as the 1930s with 2000 banks going under , 20-25% unemployed or higher , and tent cities ( people these days in major cities aren't as civilized as they were in the 30's ... hmmmm wonder why ).

seriously though is this all becasue of Iraq and focking housing housin market charging outrageous prices causing people to get arm loans and go under? I remember when i was growing up 110K for a house - in 1985 was casidered a decetn amount and got my parents a over 3K sq ft house in a upscale subdivison of Houston , TX ( Greenwood Forest ) - now 100K buys a nice trailer and that same house would go for 500 in just 20 years. Fock our house in Locust Valley Long Island was 250K in 1989 now we checked and a similar house in Locust Valley is close to 1.5 mil. I know payscale went up over 20 years okay but I seriously doubt pay scale went up 5 times double.

bastards :shocking:

I think a depression is unlikely, but not out of the question.

Making comparisons between now and then would be challenging given the stark differences, but we are clearly in a tough spot for the short term.... :doh:

Do NOT open your 401K's unless your ready to shiot yourself.

The smartest thing I ever did was to get the heck out of California. If I lived there right now I would owe $595K on a house that is for sale right now for $365K. Who of stepped in and helped me write down that debt. I am so happy 3 years ago I decided to get out and move to Washington. I now own a house that I paid 200K for, I owe $139K, I could sell it for about $190K. The kicker is that it is a nicer house than the one I had in Cali.

What a mess.

Oh my!!!! :dunno:

Once again, I reitterate, 'You will NEVER retire on a 401K'.

I may buy in at Dow 8000. I got a boatload of $ waiting.

Oh my!!!! :lol:

Once again, I reitterate, 'You will NEVER retire on a 401K'.

I may buy in at Dow 8000. I got a boatload of $ waiting.

im glad i sold all of my google stock months ago :wall:

but it IS sad for those who have 401ks and dont know what its all invested in..this plunge isnt done...i too, will wait til 8k but invest on my own in stocks i know are safe...

I didn't say nothing about me retiring on my 401K! I am just said my 401K is in the toilet.

The only investing I have been doing is taking every extra nickel I have and putting it towards my house to get the principal down as far as I can.

Yes he is a one trick pony. Notice he hasn't mentioned that Lehman stock is up like 35-40% over the last couple of days. He only toots his horn when one of his "predictions" appears to be correct. The only time he's ever acknowledged being wrong is when he's specifically called out. He's an idiot and, as I've said repeatedly, noone here should listen to any "advice" he has to offer.

:wall:

Dow 10,502.27 -107.39 (-1.01%)

Nasdaq 2,074.47 -24.38 (-1.16%)

S&P 500 1,137.76 -18.63 (-1.61%)

10y bond

3.38% -0.09 (-2.59%)

Why do ya'll get so much joy out of this? :unsure:

Okay all you smart guys. I'm about to go on my companies interweb and change around my 401k contributions. Don't think I'm diversified enough. Which "funds" should I focus on? International, SP500, Bonds, Large-cap, Small-cap, ect. or should I just use my cookie jar?

Why do ya'll get so much joy out of this? :unsure:

Okay all you smart guys. I'm about to go on my companies interweb and change around my 401k contributions. Don't think I'm diversified enough. Which "funds" should I focus on? International, SP500, Bonds, Large-cap, Small-cap, ect. or should I just use my cookie jar?

For me it is absolution. It was all too easy to see all this coming, and yet I made mention of it and out of the woodwork slithers a bunch of idiots who attempt to call me out as if they know it all, yet time and again I have proven to be correct. Maybe I am thinking these clowns have something approaching an apology in them (long shot), but clearly you do not want to take ANY advice from the likes of RP or strike when it comes to matters of financial import.....

For me it is absolution. It was all too easy to see all this coming, and yet I made mention of it and out of the woodwork slithers a bunch of idiots who attempt to call me out as if they know it all, yet time and again I have proven to be correct. Maybe I am thinking these clowns have something approaching an apology in them (long shot), but clearly you do not want to take ANY advice from the likes of RP or strike when it comes to matters of financial import.....

Me too. Saw it coming years ago. There is no place that is 'safe' for your money if you want a good return. That's what it's like to witness a meltdown, which is what is happening.

Joy? No but we told you so. If RLD and I saw it miles away, how did they not on Wall Street and in the White House? Greed and stupidity. Greed goes until it collapses. Stupidity...well you see what that is like now too. You probably voted the idiot in....twice.

Give me my props, you fockstains. :o

:lol:

You've been wrong almost as much as you've been right. And many others of us have predicted the same thing. We just weren't posting about it on a FF message board like you chicken little. We were discussing it with real life people. As far as taking advice from me goes, point to one thing I've said that is wrong, just one. You can't. You keep saying I've made a bunch of wrong predictions, and I keep asking you to point out ONE, and you haven't. If anyone owes anyone an apology around here, it's you to a bunch of people here who have actually been grounded and reasonable in discussing financial stuff.

You've been wrong almost as much as you've been right. And many others of us have predicted the same thing. We just weren't posting about it on a FF message board like you chicken little. We were discussing it with real life people. As far as taking advice from me goes, point to one thing I've said that is wrong, just one. You can't. You keep saying I've made a bunch of wrong predictions, and I keep asking you to point out ONE, and you haven't. If anyone owes anyone an apology around here, it's you to a bunch of people here who have actually been grounded and reasonable in discussing financial stuff.

Thanks. :bandana:

I would ask you to link nd prove it, but we both know that you cannot.....still CFC is dean along with Lehman, the market is faltering and the economy is facing an apocalyptic position.....but yeah, keep trying there, sport... :overhead:

I would ask you to link nd prove it, but we both know that you cannot.....still CFC is dean along with Lehman, the market is faltering and the economy is facing an apocalyptic position.....but yeah, keep trying there, sport... :overhead:

Link to what? That you've been wrong? I've done that numerous times in the past. But why would I when you've admitted it:

While my predictions have come true time and again, I have missed on one or two, and the armageddon has yet to really play out...

What I'd like you to do is to post a link to where *I* have been wrong about the financial markets. You keep suggesting that I have but you've never proven it.

Ok.

Strike/RLLD

Go to your rooms without dinner :mad:

Ok.

Strike/RLLD

Go to your rooms without dinner :mad:

Just cause you're trying to save on dishes cause you're too cheap to buy a dishwasher, don't take it out on us!!!

Just cause you're trying to save on dishes cause you're too cheap to buy a dishwasher, don't take it out on us!!!

:mad:

Busted

Link to what? That you've been wrong? I've done that numerous times in the past. But why would I when you've admitted it:

What I'd like you to do is to post a link to where *I* have been wrong about the financial markets. You keep suggesting that I have but you've never proven it.

Twice eh? Math is not your strong suit, perhaps its time for you to go back to school, you surely dont know sh!t about the market or the economy.... :mad:

Twice eh? Math is not your strong suit, perhaps its time for you to go back to school, you surely dont know sh!t about the market or the economy.... :mad:

Yeah, twice. According to you. :wub:

Yeah, twice. According to you. :lol:

I know, you don't get what i was saying, its cool.....at this point it is clear that you can never anything more than an objection, and you can never source anything to support your objection, and pretty much all you have is an opposing point of view with nothing to back it...

I know, you don't get what i was saying, its cool.....at this point it is clear that you can never anything more than an objection, and you can never source anything to support your objection, and pretty much all you have is an opposing point of view with nothing to back it...

I've asked you repeatedly to back just ONE of your assertions, and you've yet to do it. I'll ask again. Post a link to one credible supporting source that sellers deserve blame in this fiasco. Just ONE. I think it's only fair that you do it if you're going to accuse those people of committing felony crimes. Can you, will you ,do it????? :lol:

Don't mind me, I just realized that I had not posted yet in this thread and it is up to seven pages so I figured I should stop in and say hi.

Hi :lol:

I've asked you repeatedly to back just ONE of your assertions, and you've yet to do it. I'll ask again. Post a link to one credible supporting source that sellers deserve blame in this fiasco. Just ONE. I think it's only fair that you do it if you're going to accuse those people of committing felony crimes. Can you, will you ,do it????? :overhead:

You can still refer to all the posts where I posted my links, most of them likely still work......and, keep your pimp hand strong there little guy!! :nono:

You can still refer to all the posts where I posted my links, most of them likely still work......and, keep your pimp hand strong there little guy!! :overhead:

Figures you'd come up with a stupid politician's answer like this. None of your links support your stance on seller culpability. TDRyan already posted in your thread this morning how he reread the whole thing and it was a bunch of BULLSH!T. That's why I keep asking. If you're going to accuse people of committing felonies you should at least be able to substantiate the claim.

Don't mind me, I just realized that I had not posted yet in this thread and it is up to seven pages so I figured I should stop in and say hi.

Hi :doublethumbsup: