Sign in to follow this  
jman316

Why draft players you don't like?

Unless you take yourself, fantasy football or both too seriously, why would you ever draft a player you don't like?

For that reason alone I've never drafted Marc Bulger or T.O..

Why cheer for a player begrudgingly?

There are always comparable players to draft at the same position and no legitimate reason to draft a player you don't like.

I suppose emotion needs to be taken out of the equation when there's big money involved, but otherwise, I just see it as a lose-lose proposition.

I see it the opposite way: If you refuse to draft a player you don't like, that's when I would say your taking things too seriously. The player is going to perform the same way week-in and week-out wether he is on your team or not, so what's the big deal?

And just to add, there aren't comparable players at every spot. There only so many QBs that can possibly match the likes of Peyton Manning; only so many RBs to compare with Tomlinson; and only so many WRs that stack up against the like of Terrell Owens. If you really want to win your league, then you need to draft the best possible players wether you like the guy or not.

If there is little to no money at stake, then sure, it may not bother you to pass on Terrell Owens if you don't like him. I tend to think that the large majority of people in fantasy football leagues however play in ones that have enough money at stake that they would prefer to win if they can, even if it means selecting someone they personally don't like, or someone that plays on a team they don't like.

Sure, superstars you'd tend to make an exception for.

I guess it's different when you're in the kind of local league described in Matt's Gut Check article.

It makes FFB less enjoyable if I have a team full of a$$hats rather than guys you like to root for.

You said it yourself - "I suppose emotion needs to be taken out of the equation"

Just because I'm a JETS fan doesn't mean i'm not going to draft a PATS player.

It's really hard rooting for a player you don't like, Brady is a closet fudge packet, but he's a great QB!

Unless you take yourself, fantasy football or both too seriously, why would you ever draft a player you don't like?

There are always comparable players to draft at the same position and no legitimate reason to draft a player you don't like.

I suppose emotion needs to be taken out of the equation when there's big money involved, but otherwise, I just see it as a lose-lose proposition.

Itsatipthatyoudon'tactuallyowtheseplayersinreallifeyou only....

Sure, superstars you'd tend to make an exception for.

I guess it's different when you're in the kind of local league described in Matt's Gut Check article.

It makes FFB less enjoyable if I have a team full of a$$hats rather than guys you like to root for.

My local league is a $350 buy in plus $5 for each transaction, and even more imptantly I want to win even more when playing dudes I'll see all the time than on-line strangers.

Sure if I'm looking at two players of approx. equal value and one plays for a team I dislike like Miami, I take the other, but on the contrary to your point I don't take it seriously enough to think I have any impact on the outcome or that I have to like the players on my team.

Plus with fantasy football blurring the lines of how I root for actual NFL teams there is a very very short list pf players I don't like. I still root for the Jets to win no matter how it effects my fantasy team but other than that I want my guys to do well.

rule #1 of FF. play to win. put your personal reservations about players aside.

not drafting TO because he's a headcase is a mistake, imo. if he's the obvious choice when your turn comes up, you gotta pull the trigger.

if you feel the players issues might keep them off the field thats totally different ball o wax.

You are at the wrong place young man. We drive over to other league owners houses and punch them in the face in front of their wife and kids over fantasy football around here. You might want to go play in the kiddie pool.

You are at the wrong place young man. We drive over to other league owners houses and punch them in the face in front of their wife and kids over fantasy football around here. You might want to go play in the kiddie pool.

Haha maybe not quite to that extent - but i agree with KSB...Fantasy Football is like a sport of its own, and isn't worth playing if you aren't in it to win it. Drafting with your heart puts you at an immediate disadvantage as you will almost certainly miss out and players simply because you don't "like them"

I agree with most of the posts above. You are the one who takes things too seriously if you arent gonna draft someone b/c you dislike them. Especially when you dont even actually know the person.

I hate the Cowboys as a teams but Ive had Romo, TO, and Barber on my rosters the last 2 years and they helped me win $$$ and :lol: and I have no problems w/ them as individuals. I "dislike" Tom Brady but if he's available at the right draft spot and throws 35 TDs for my FF team then we'd be cool for the season.

FF is about fun but its also about competition. You play to win the game. Not drafting a good player b/c you dont like them is like cutting your nose to spite your face. Doesnt make sense unless you are in a league w/ absolutely nothing at stake. And that just wouldnt be all that much fun IMO.

My first year of fantasy football was in 1995. I absolutely hated the 49ers and had the 1st pick.

I drafted QB Steve Young because I took who the magazines said was rated #1 even though i hated him. :mad:

but wished I had gone with heart/team and taken Emmitt Smith instead....25tds.... :mad:

Precisely, I'm a Giants fan but sitting at #6 drafting in my main league there is a good chance I'm going to go for Marion Barber because I think he's in for a year chock full of TD's and some solid yardage even though there's a good chance that a decent amount of that will come against my team.

now what would Herm Edwards have to say about this?

FF is about fun but its also about competition. You play to win the game. Not drafting a good player b/c you dont like them is like cutting your nose to spite your face. Doesnt make sense unless you are in a league w/ absolutely nothing at stake. And that just wouldnt be all that much fun IMO.

Haha maybe not quite to that extent - but i agree with KSB...Fantasy Football is like a sport of its own, and isn't worth playing if you aren't in it to win it. Drafting with your heart puts you at an immediate disadvantage as you will almost certainly miss out and players simply because you don't "like them"

kmbryant09 just joined the forum, recently. He doesn't realize that the "punch a guy in the face in front of his wife and kids" story is REAL!!

km, do a search for that thread.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :music_guitarred:

kmbryant09 just joined the forum, recently. He doesn't realize that the "punch a guy in the face in front of his wife and kids" story is REAL!!

km, do a search for that thread.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :music_guitarred:

haha thanks husker - i wasn't NECESSARILY doubting the story, i just meant that MOST OF US wouldn't quite go that far lol

Love seeing active posters on here, as all i do at work all day is sit and read the threads...keep the ideas coming!!

That's what VaTerp is the man. Good to see you posting more again. :pointstosky:

I just wanna be like you when I grow up Me06'. :dunno:

Ive been hitting the mange bored pretty hard these past few weeks. What can I say Im an addict. Last nite I had my laptop and was posting in the back seat of a 4 Runner.

:ninja:

I would guess the easy answer is cause those a-holes are the ones that win leagues for you...guys like Moss, TO, whoever that you hate...you hate for a reason...production.

The only exception i've ever made to this rule was in a hockey league where i refused to draft Claude Lemieux.

The only exception i've ever made to this rule was in a hockey league where i refused to draft Claude Lemieux.

Only NHL player I wouldn't draft would be Claude "the turtle" Lemieux

It's funny though droit fans hated Chelios now he's on team and they love him.

sorry turned this into hockey thread.

I agree with the OG poster..... I just can't have guys on my team that I can't route for (AT LEAST on my long standing Dynasty team anyway)

I recently tried it when I acquired Driver for a playoff run (2 years ago) and then T.J. Housh last year... I feel like I cheated myself or something :music_guitarred:

I always bust this kid in my Dynasty league about this issue.... Die Hard Skins fan and his Qb is Tony Romo who he hates with the fire of a 1,000 suns.... :shocking: I just don't see how someone can put up with that.... Don't get me wrong I love fantasy and I'm just as intense and competetive as anyone I've ever known, but many people tend to get lost in it all and forget Fantasy football is supposed to be fun as well.....

P.S. - If I'm playing in a league that I really don't care that much about and strictly for money purposes only then I'll take a guy that I don't really like, but on my 1 "true team" NO WAY...

Fantasy Hockey?? Is there enough interest to fill a league?

Fantasy Hockey?? Is there enough interest to fill a league?

yeah...believe it or not. In the detroit area...anyway.

If I've got 2 guys in the same tier and one is from a team I hate, I'll take the other one. With Sunday Ticket, I'll be watching most of the games on Sunday, and I don't want to sit there and root for a guy I hate. But I'm not going to pass on a quality player and hurt my team just because I don't like him.

TOP 10 REASONS Why I draft players I dont like? (No particular order)

1. Because Im a WINNER and I love WINNING.

2. Because my desire to WIN is much greater than any dislike I have for people I dont even know.

3. Because I like talking chit to my friends (and/or others) after I beat them.

4. Because I like CASH $$$$$.

5. Because I like video games, strippers, alcohol and mary jane and all of the other frivilous things I spend with the $$$$$ I get from winning.

6. Because I dislike teams more than I dislike any individual players.

7. Because I can root for my individual FF players to do well and still root for their FF teams to lose.

8. Because if a team I hate wins a game b/c of my FF players doing well then at least I get something out of that team winning.

9. Because Im a man and not a woman who would let emotions get in the way of WINNING.

10. Because Im a WINNER and I love to WIN.

:)

2. Because my desire to WIN is much greater than any dislike I have for people I dont even know.

5. Because I like video games, strippers, alcohol and mary jane and all of the other frivilous things I spend with the $$$$$ I get from winning.

7. Because I can root for my individual FF players to do well and still root for their FF teams to lose.

8. Because if a team I hate wins a game b/c of my FF players doing well then at least I get something out of that team winning.

9. Because Im a man and not a woman who would let emotions get in the way of WINNING.

:music_guitarred:

haha classic, i love it...especially #5

:music_guitarred:

11. Because its easier to stomach T.O. dancing at midfield, pulling out a sharpie, whipping out the cell phone, etc. if he just scored FOR you than AGAINST you.

I don't get this "hate" thing. Why would I "hate" an athlete? I probably don't know him personally. Someone like TO is a head case; I don't hate him, but I might account for his headcasedness in valuing him.

That being said, I do have a long memory and will generally not redraft a player who has burned me in the past. A few years ago Jerry Porter was that person; he was the can't miss uber stud #1 for the Raidahs. Yeah that worked out well... :music_guitarred:

Also my wife gets a kick out of me rooting for players against my team (Cards). I'll say "cmon honey, the Cards are up 10, help me root for a long TD from Edwards," and she'll just :doh:

:lol:

I don't get this "hate" thing. Why would I "hate" an athlete? I probably don't know him personally. Someone like TO is a head case; I don't hate him, but I might account for his headcasedness in valuing him.

That being said, I do have a long memory and will generally not redraft a player who has burned me in the past. A few years ago Jerry Porter was that person; he was the can't miss uber stud #1 for the Raidahs. Yeah that worked out well... :banana:

Also my wife gets a kick out of me rooting for players against my team (Cards). I'll say "cmon honey, the Cards are up 10, help me root for a long TD from Edwards," and she'll just :banana:

:banana:

I agree - unless one of the players like nailed your wife , kicked your dog , punched you in face in front of wife an kids - what reason is there to " hate " them - unless you are the person that indeed takes it too seriously.