Sign in to follow this  
yanivsme

just drafted out of the 10th spot

So I tried a new draft strategy... My rb's are #2 rbs at best but the rest of the team is solid...I think that i would rather have a great qb, wr's, te opposed to a #1rb and #2rb and the rest is mediocore...Just to answer a few questions that might arise....No its not a Special Ed League, yes it was a mockdraft but with a good group of guys who actually didnt like my squad. Blast Away!!!!!

Starters

QB Peyton Rnd1

RB Ronnie Brown Rnd3

RB Thomas Jones Rnd6 (stoked to get him this late)

WR1 Steve Smith Rnd2

WR2 Marvin Harrison Rnd5 (cant believe he fell this far)

WR3 Roddy White Rnd7

TE Antonio Gates Rnd4

K Josh Brown

Defense New England

Bench

QB Matt Ryan (With manning, he will play 1 game)

RB Deuce

RB Ryan Torian

RB Kevin Jones

WR Jerry Porter (could be a great #3)

WR Bryant Johnson (potential to go nuts with Martz)

The rest doesnt matter

Yeah the RBs are for sure a concern but to be honest I really don't think you WRs are all that strong for not getting a top RB. Here is a draft I did yesterday. It is a free league but it was a real draft. I had the 10th spot in a 12 teamer.

Romo

Mendenhall/Forte/R.Johnson/A.Green/Fargas/Sproles

R.Moss/TJ/Harrison/B.Johnson/L.Sweed

G.Olsen

A.Vinatieri

MIN

My RBs are certainly not great but I think they have every bit as much potential as Brown/Jones and I have Johnson/Green as solid #3/#4. Not to mention I grabbed R.Moss/TJ/Harrison. So my WRs should more than make up for my RBs being a little weak.

So I tried a new draft strategy... My rb's are #2 rbs at best but the rest of the team is solid...I think that i would rather have a great qb, wr's, te opposed to a #1rb and #2rb and the rest is mediocore...Just to answer a few questions that might arise....No its not a Special Ed League, yes it was a mockdraft but with a good group of guys who actually didnt like my squad. Blast Away!!!!!

Starters

QB Peyton Rnd1

RB Ronnie Brown Rnd3

WR1 Steve Smith Rnd2

WR3 Roddy White Rnd7

TE Antonio Gates Rnd4

K Josh Brown

Defense New England

Bench

RB Deuce

RB Ryan Torian

RB Kevin Jones

The rest doesnt matter

wow, for a second I thought I was reading the thread on draft day mistakes last year... then I saw Matt Ryan. Yuck! I mean y-u-c-k

Starters

QB Peyton Rnd1

RB Ronnie Brown Rnd3

WR1 Steve Smith Rnd2

WR3 Roddy White Rnd7

TE Antonio Gates Rnd4

K Josh Brown

Defense New England

Bench

RB Deuce

RB Ryan Torian

RB Kevin Jones

The rest doesnt matter

You squad sucks, Steve Smith and Thomas Jones are probably the only two really solid picks. Peyton consistency won't be enough to overcome the rest of your roster.

I guess if you want to play all season without Rb's this is good. Two borderline guys starting and zero depth.

(listen, I like Tjones and Rbrown fine, but they would be my depth guys, not who I'm relying on to carry the mail. ouch)

Starters

QB Peyton Rnd1

RB Ronnie Brown Rnd3

WR1 Steve Smith Rnd2

WR3 Roddy White Rnd7

TE Antonio Gates Rnd4

K Josh Brown

Defense New England

Bench

RB Deuce

RB Ryan Torian

RB Kevin Jones

The rest doesnt matter

Yeah your team isn't great man - obviously your quarterback is solid, but what did you do wrong to grab Matt Ryan, was he really the ONLY option left at QB in a 10 team league?? He's not even the starter right now...Your running backs aren't terrible for how long you waited - Jones in rd 6 is probably ur best pick of the draft, but there are a lot of question marks around Ronnie Brown. Sounds like he won't be able to carry the load until mid-season. And Steve Smith at pick 11 or 15 (how many people in your league??)?! I think you woulda been better suited with Edwards, Owens, Fitz, A. Johnson (one had to be available). And again, a lot of question marks surrounding Harrison, and Roddy White hasn't really proven anything, and he has no1 throwing the ball to him (no, Matt Ryan doesn't count). You have a great QB, TE, and DEF - but that's not what wins you trophies, especially with the well-below-average RB core and simply a mediocre WR core based on your strategy...

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree that your season will be long. It is VERY high risk - like Bear Stearns risk. KJ, Deuce, and Ronnie Brown, Marvin Harrison, and Peyton himself are all possible injury concerns. TJ would be a good pick. Bryant isn't going to do anything - he never did that well in place of the injured WRs in AZ over the years, and they are just as pass happy as Martz is. Alot of your players are "name" players. Just because you can buy a truckload of Z.Cavaricci pants at rock bottom prices doesn't mean you should. Their time has passed.

You will be on the waiver wire early and often.

Just because you can buy a truckload of Z.Cavaricci pants at rock bottom prices doesn't mean you should. Their time has passed.

:pointstosky: :lol:

Not down on the strategy at all. Just not quite sure I like Marivn and Smith as my WR 1 & 2. :pointstosky:

You squad sucks, Steve Smith and Thomas Jones are probably the only two really solid picks. Peyton consistency won't be enough to overcome the rest of your roster.

If we're stating that Thomas JOnes is one of two solid picks.....oh boyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :thumbsup:

Probably should've grabbed Peyton in Rd 2 and took T.O or Moss with your first pick... those two are head and shoulders better than Smith IMO.

THIS ONLY WORKS IN A 10 TEAM PPR LEAGUE. I've contemplated this for weeks now and I have come to the conclusion that if you decide to wait on a RB picking late, wait until the 4TH/5TH ROUND to grab both. My theory is that if you can grab 2 of Moss/Wayne/TO/AJ/Edwards, then in the 3rd round grab BREES (big gamble but should be there - contingency would be B Jacobs or J Lew), After the turn in the fourth I've seen R Brown, M Turner, T Jones, E James, W Parker and E Graham fall this far. In the fifth, grab a rookie-high upside back like McFadden, Stewart, K Smith or Forte (maybe even Julius Jones/Len White if you want more of a known commodity). Now in the sixth grab one more back like F Taylor, Rudi, or the handcuff to the rookie you picked in RD 5 (Fargas/D Will/Mendenhall). This has worked wonders for me in recent 10 team Mock Drafts i've done.

Example of a possible team you would be looking at:

QB - Brees/Schaub

WR - Moss/Wayne/Galloway/Berrian etc

RB - R Brown/J. Stewart/Rudi Johnson/D Will/C Perry etc

TE - Heap or Crumpler

I like the potential for a 10 team PPR league......

If Brees is gone by the end of the 3rd, take Cutler/McNabb instead of a 3rd WR in the 7th RD

QB - Cutler/Schaub

WR - Moss/Wayne/Berrian/Crayton

RB - J Lewis/R. Brown/L White/C Johnson

TE - Heap or Crumpler

Still not too bad........

Starters

QB Peyton Rnd1

RB Ronnie Brown Rnd3

WR1 Steve Smith Rnd2

WR3 Roddy White Rnd7

TE Antonio Gates Rnd4

K Josh Brown

Defense New England

Bench

RB Deuce

RB Ryan Torian

RB Kevin Jones

The rest doesnt matter

Good thing this was a mock because this looks TERRIBLE to me.

Its not really about what position you take but rather the players you take and thier relative value. You took Smith too early. There had to be other Wrs on the board who were better value. And there is No way I would rely on a guy coming off a mid season ACL, with a new coaching staff, and on a bad team as my #1Rb. I also think you took Gates too early with all the question marks you have at RB and WR and other TEs who could have been better value later.

You got lucky that T Jones fell to you where he did but as someone else said when you're talking about Thomas Jones as by far your best pick thats not a good thing. I think you can be successful this year if you wait til the 3rd on a RB BUT this is NOT the way to do it.

:thumbsdown:

Yeah the RBs are for sure a concern but to be honest I really don't think you WRs are all that strong for not getting a top RB. Here is a draft I did yesterday. It is a free league but it was a real draft. I had the 10th spot in a 12 teamer.

Romo

Mendenhall/Forte/R.Johnson/A.Green/Fargas/Sproles

R.Moss/TJ/Harrison/B.Johnson/L.Sweed

G.Olsen

A.Vinatieri

MIN

My RBs are certainly not great but I think they have every bit as much potential as Brown/Jones and I have Johnson/Green as solid #3/#4. Not to mention I grabbed R.Moss/TJ/Harrison. So my WRs should more than make up for my RBs being a little weak.

Wow this is bad too. Your Wrs are certainly better than the OPs but your Rbs are AWFUL. If you consider Johnson and Green your #3 and #4 then who are your #1 and #2?

Mendenhall is behind Parker and Ive heard that he has some problems w/ pass protection. With the Steelers O-line being what it is I think Mendy is going to play less than a lot of people think. And even if he gets to split carries w/ Parker which is highly unlikely, he's still not a #1RB by ANY stretch. And Forte plays in a terrible offense and will be splitting time w/ as many as 3 other Rbs. Johnson and Green might be your 2 best Rbs and their both past their prime and coming off injuries.

Your Qbs and Wrs are very good but Ive never seen a succesful FF team without quality Rbs. Unless you get lucky with the ww AND injuries your RB situation will be ugly.

I don't like the Steve Smith pick at all. This guy has broken 1200 yards and 8 TD just once in his 7 year career. I think you are missing the point why people are going QB and WR earlier this year. Last year there were allot of injuries and disappointments with 1st round RB so people are opting to draft more of a "sure thing". (Brady, Manning, Moss, TO) Steve Smith is not one of these players. Unless all you want want out of your #2 pick is 1100 - 7.

....No its not a Special Ed League, yes it was a mockdraft but with a good group of guys who actually didnt like my squad. Blast Away!!!!!

Actually drafted with this guy yesterday, , WR and QB went early off the board. Picked at no.2 spot and botched my draft, usually go RB RB but went AP, Colston and Holt on turns, and got stuck with Rudi as RB2 but managed to get Kevin Smith next round. not that anyone cares. :pointstosky:

I don't like the Steve Smith pick at all. This guy has broken 1200 yards and 8 TD just once in his 7 year career. I think you are missing the point why people are going QB and WR earlier this year. Last year there were allot of injuries and disappointments with 1st round RB so people are opting to draft more of a "sure thing". (Brady, Manning, Moss, TO) Steve Smith is not one of these players. Unless all you want want out of your #2 pick is 1100 - 7.

Smith was on pace with Randy Moss before Delhomme went down last year, and if Delhomme and he stay healthy, he has tremendous upside. I'm not willing to pay WR#1 price for him but if I could land him as a #2WR I'd do it, even though I'm not a fan of 5'9" WR.

:pointstosky: :thumbsup:

That is some good stuff right there. I was just thinking about Hypercolor shirts the other day. Z Cav pants and Hypercolor shirts, takes me back to middle school.

Smith was on pace with Randy Moss before Delhomme went down last year, and if Delhomme and he stay healthy, he has tremendous upside. I'm not willing to pay WR#1 price for him but if I could land him as a #2WR I'd do it, even though I'm not a fan of 5'9" WR.

I agree, there are to many ? around him to draft him in the very early second round. And my point was that I don't like to take chances in the first 3 rounds. TJ would have been a safer pick here although it is way to early for him too.

There's only two types of answers you will get from posting a team here - 1) Your team sucks or 2) Your league sucks.

Deservedly so, but the funny thing is - this was a freakin' mock!

Who gives a rat's a$$!

Well I have to agree with the above posts that I am not really liking manning there!! Moss, To, Portis and even LJ yes LJ. I think thomas jones will be a decent rb this year that line has alot of capaibility of being pretty damn good. I also like Steve Smith but not at that position you drafted.

I am picking 9th in a 12 team league I will not go the traditional rb-rb this year. I am taking Moss( if he is there) and Braylon edwards or Larry Fitz. Those 2 wideouts will put up more points than any rb's left on the table. I am also in a ppr league

I am picking 9th in a 12 team league I will not go the traditional rb-rb this year. I am taking Moss( if he is there) and Braylon edwards or Larry Fitz. Those 2 wideouts will put up more points than any rb's left on the table. I am also in a ppr league

To predetermine who you will draft at a certain spot is very dangerous. You don't even know who will be available.

Well I have to agree with the above posts that I am not really liking manning there!! Moss, To, Portis and even LJ yes LJ. I think thomas jones will be a decent rb this year that line has alot of capaibility of being pretty damn good. I also like Steve Smith but not at that position you drafted.

That is a short sighted view. What you should be looking at is will your

1. WR 2. WR 3. RB or QB 4. RB or QB 5. RB or QB

Put up more points than:

1. WR or RB or QB 2. WR or RB or QB 3. WR or RB or QB 4. WR or RB or QB 5. WR or RB or QB

and you can throw in a TE too if you want.

My point is you cannot win with your first two picks alone you have to look at the draft as a whole. I hate to constantly say this but it is all about a VBD. These questions don't even come up under that system.

To predetermine who you will draft at a certain spot is very dangerous.

I hate to constantly say this but it is all about a VBD. These questions don't even come up under that system.

I dont understand why these concepts are so diificult to grasp. VBD is the ONLY draft strategy worth talking about.

Make an overall list with players of all positions based on how well you think guys will do and your league's scoring system/lineup req. If you think Moss or some other Wrs will do better than Gore or similar Rbs then rank them higher. If you feel the drop from Romo to the next QB is greater than the drop from the RB you are considering and the ones who will be available later then take the QB. That simple.

All of these Im going RB-RB or WR-WR or QB-WR or whatever are stupid. Take the time to make a list people.

There's only two types of answers you will get from posting a team here - 1) Your team sucks or 2) Your league sucks.

His team sucks, his mock league sucks, and may god have mercy on his soul. :angry:

That team does suck though.  Just saying.

OP here

Thanks god im not depressed cause I would have shot myself by now after reading all of these "tasteful" comments.

Marvin Harrison as a #2. I got him in the 5th round!! In a 12 teamer, anybody who doesnt draft Marvin Harrison in the 5th round deserve to be donkeypunched in front of his wife and kids. I know the rbs are very suspect, but IT WAS A MOCK DRAFT, none the less, thank you all.

and hopefully as the real drafts start people will realize this. Then the board will not be flooded with "Rate My Team" posts.

I also enjoy the WDIS threads in mid August.

Your team sucks. And wrong forum. You should find something you don't suck at and do that.

can I put you on my resume as a referance?? You kiss your boyfriend with that mouth?

can I put you on my resume as a referance?? You kiss your boyfriend with that mouth?

Add spelling, grammar and punctuation to the list of things you suck at. And you should probably add witty retorts as well.

Yes it's terrible, this idea.

A Jump to conclusions mat!

You see... it's a mat, with different "conclusions", that you... jump to!

FWIW just drafted in a 12 teamer in the 10 spot and got

Moss

Braylon

Boldin

Turner

Rudi

Mcnabb

not real happy with it. ill prolly go Rb/WR or WR/RB

A Jump to conclusions mat!

You see... it's a mat, with different "conclusions", that you... jump to!

That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life Tom. :pointstosky:

How 'bout you just draft the best player available everytime you pick filling starting positions first (for the most part). :music_guitarred:

If we're stating that Thomas JOnes is one of two solid picks.....oh boyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :doh:

:dunno: :headbanger: :thumbsup: