Sign in to follow this  
ggroovy17

Why is Chris Johnson going so high in drafts?

I understand the Titans drafted him in the 1st round, but Lendale White is still going to get 20-25 carries a week and all the goal-line love. In both of my drafts, Chris Johnson went in rounds 6 and 7......right after Lendale White. Both of my leagues are TD heavy as well with no PPR, do you see CJ getting over 5 TD's? I don't personally.

I took Lendale White in the 5th round, but would much rather have Ricky Williams in round 7 or 8 than Chris Johnson.

He has a ton of potential in a run first offense. Owners will still be depending on an injury to LenDale for him to be worth some of these high draft picks.

I think that he will end up gettin a lot of touchs.. I like him towards the middle or later part of the season.

You are just mad because you drafted LeWhale and thought you could wait till the later rounds to snag his faster, more talented back up.

This isn't kool-aid, this smells like sour grapes.

The dude went undrafted in both my local leagues yesterday. For this guy to be drafted in round 6 or 7 is beyond belief.

The dude went undrafted in both my local leagues yesterday. For this guy to be drafted in round 6 or 7 is beyond belief.

It's straight up retarded to take him that high

Take a look at all the posts from last year about this time regarding the other "Chris". Big fast time, drafted higher than projected due to fast time at the combine. Lots of comments about LenDale White, how lazy, how fat. If I had a nickel for every Man Boob comment and photo of his belly hanging over his pants I would be Bill Gates. It's the same thing...

No matter what, LenDale had a decent season last year playing hurt. He is healthy this year and has continue to play well during the Pre-Season. He has impressed the coaches with his work ethic and effort. He will be the primary back.

That said... Chris Johnson could eat into carries or end up sharing some workload with him. Unless LenDale White falls flat on his face or Johnson suddenly turns into LT2 or AP, he will be utilized part time if that often.

At the very least he will get 10-15% of carries. His performance and Whites will dictate the ultimate mix, along with injuries. I haven't seen anything yet that leads me to believe White will not be the primary back. That may change, but Fantasy hype does not dictate a starter in the NFL. Performance, both in numbers and blocking, scheme and other factors do.

I understand the Titans drafted him in the 1st round, but Lendale White is still going to get 20-25 carries a week and all the goal-line love. In both of my drafts, Chris Johnson went in rounds 6 and 7......right after Lendale White. Both of my leagues are TD heavy as well with no PPR, do you see CJ getting over 5 TD's? I don't personally.

I took Lendale White in the 5th round, but would much rather have Ricky Williams in round 7 or 8 than Chris Johnson.

The notion of a 20-25 carry/game back is almost antiquated. Lendale's 2007 stats:

avg carries/game = 18.9

games w/20+ carries = 7

games w/25+ carries = 5

The addtion of a first-round back should do anything to inflate those numbers. More to the point, Tennessee's team rushing stats from 2007:

avg rushing attempts/game = 33.9 (lead NFL)

In other words, if the Titans continue last year's pace (and Vince Young has done nothing to show they can lean more on the passing game), there are still 15 carries/game to go around. Chris Henry has shown himself to be a mistake. I was not a fan of his last year (and thought he was drafted way early by the Titans), but I'm a Chris Johnson supporter. My suspicion is that they will likely split the carries fairly evenly. The situation seems very similar to Jacksonville, where both runners are valuable though the ceiling on either is compromised. I would White and Johnson to end the year with about 15-18 carries/game.

I felt good taking him as a #5 RB in a 13 team league. I'm equally astounded.

13 team league?

Total points league so it doesn't cause any problems (though the plan was 12 as usual until a former member resurfaced).

Pro:

-1st round pick RBs dont get stuck on the bench all year. He'll get his touches

-Fastest RB in the NFL

-The best rushing offense in the game

-Lendale White is the slowest RB in the game and tends to get nicked up

Cons:

-Size; he is too small to be a full time back

-Entrenched starter ahead of him that seems to be in favor with the coaches

All said and done he could be a very strong #3 back (in my 16 team league) with no TN injuries. But even if Lendale gets hurt, they'd never make him a workshorse and would also be RBBC. So top end is a decent #2.

watching the game on NFL network, this kid looks good. Dunno how much burn he's going to get, but he runs well. Besides the speed, he has good vision, and puts his head down to get a couple of extra yards per run. But that speed is ridiculous. I don't see how you'd not give this kid atleast 10 touches a game, and for my money he'd be starting soon as he gets a grasp of the passing game. Though with VY, worrying about the pass protection is kind of a moot point. But I'm not the head coach, so who knows. As far as fantasy goes, definitely worth a 7+ round pick, better to grab and stash him than getting a mid level predictable wr, thats for god damn sure!

Because the Titans offense is run-first. And when the Titans DO throw the rock, it will often be either to Crumpler or C Johnson. They are not going to throw to WRs downfield that often - think about it - their wide-outs are crap and so is Young on throws more than 30 yards.

Lendale will stay fresher with about 15 running touches per game. Even though he has a 'belly', he has good vision for the hole and can grind down a defense. He is very under-rated and yes, he is their goal-line back. Even in my PPR league I had him projected as the #22 RB for about 180 fantasy points this season and a 6th round pick.

But Chris Johnson is a special player. He's a football player first, with world class speed; instead of a sprinter that is trying to play football. He has great burst, great vision, and is not afraid to block or hit the hole inside. He is capable of taking it to the house on any play. He will have about the same amout of TDs as Lendale - but his will come from outside the 20.

He will also get about 15 touches/game, except that about 4-5 will be as a receiver. Therefore he rates slightly higher than White in ppr leagues - 5th round is not too high. Maybe late 6 to early 8 in standard scoring leagues behind Lendale.

Since I play 1PPR leagues exclusively I have him rated RB#18 and project about 190 fantasy points in 1PPR leagues (right after McFadden at #17 and ahead of Earnest Graham).

The Titans are excited about this kid and he will be fun to watch. He will be on the field with White quite a bit.

Think Thunder and Lightning! Draft him with confidence in the middle rounds with either PPR or regular scoring but if you get him in round 8 in PPR consider yourself blessed - I 'reached' for him in round 5 in one of my leagues.

edit: I watched tape of him in college and every pre-season game. He is anything BUT kool-aid.

avg rushing attempts/game = 33.9 (lead NFL)

In other words, if the Titans continue last year's pace (and Vince Young has done nothing to show they can lean more on the passing game), there are still 15 carries/game to go around. Chris Henry has shown himself to be a mistake. I was not a fan of his last year (and thought he was drafted way early by the Titans), but I'm a Chris Johnson supporter. My suspicion is that they will likely split the carries fairly evenly. The situation seems very similar to Jacksonville, where both runners are valuable though the ceiling on either is compromised. I would White and Johnson to end the year with about 15-18 carries/game.

They had 34 carries a game, but Vince had about 6 carries himself per game. That only leaves 28 or so for the backs. I think Chris Johnson is going to be a very good 3rd down back.

From Fox Sports:

LenDale White vs. Chris Johnson vs. Chris Henry, Tennessee

Aug. 21 status: Likely decided

Analysis: Call this a platoon unit if you want, but if you watched the Titans at all in 2007, I just can't believe anyone out there actually thinks White will outperform Johnson this year. CJ has decent potential as an RB2 now, but I think he's the prototypical sleeper who has a great year and skyrockets draft boards to become a top-10 pick for next year.

This guy loves him some grape-aid!