Sign in to follow this  
$epphori$

Kevin Smith or Jonathan Stewart?/

who do you think will have the best year in 08

and who will have the better carear?

looking at these two to select in the 1st RD of my 4 player keeper league

Kevin Smith will be the featured back in Det, while Stewart will split carries. BUT Det running backs have done relatively little since Barry Sanders retired. If I had to draft for this year, I'd take Smith... not because he's better, but because he is in a better situation to have a prominent, (and exclusive), role in the offense, even though I think Stewart is the better back and may likely have more TDs than Kevin Smith this year.

In a keeper league... who knows. My Advice, draft Kevin smith 1st, just because of THIS YEAR. Don't draft for what MIGHT happen 2 or three years from now. For example... I was in a keeper league and got Cadillac Williams. Didn't win the league this rookie season, but everybody in the league was talking about how much my team was stocked for the future... Well, the future never came... Caddy had 7 or 8 great games... fought off injuries, and has never emerged as a fantasy stud.

I am going to infer that this is a serious question and not a fishing expedition and give the correct answer.....JONATHON STEWART

I heard of some leagues where Kevin Smith is getting dropped already. :rolleyes:

I am going to infer that this is a serious question and not a fishing expedition and give the correct answer.....JONATHON STEWART

Yep.

Stewart is a beast and is going to have a big year and a good career, barring serious injuries.

it is a serious question, and I too am leaning towards Sterwart....no way I can win this year anyhow...looking to rebuild.

Bingo. From what I've seen in limited preseason action is Stewart, and it ain't even close.

I heard of some leagues where Kevin Smith is getting dropped already. :music_guitarred:

:lol: (ouch, that's gotta hurt right moz)?

I heard of some leagues where Kevin Smith is getting dropped already. :music_guitarred:

Kutulu just won this thread :lol:

Kevin Smith, by a lot in re-draft leagues IMO. He's the feature back in an offense that has some huge weapons in the passing game and a head coach who will be committed to the run. Burn them a few times off the play action pass and Smith will have some room to work. Carolina won't exactly be a powerhouse offensively and Stewart will be sharing the load, so I disagree with the previous posters on this one if we are talking re-draft.

I pick 3rd in my rookie draft in a few hours and have the same delemia. (McFadden and Ryan went 1-2) I am leaning towards Smith but Stewart may be the guy who has the better long term career.

I'm sorry, but I don't see this as even a close race. Watch the two of them run, Stewart is better in just about every facet of the game. Look at their body of work in college, particularly the level of competition they faced. Again, Stewart in a landslide. And here's the capper...Carolina has gone a long way in rebuilding their offensive line, which is going to become a strength. Detroit's line is still the suxor. Carolina has a defense that should allow them to stay close in games and be a ball control offense. Detroit has no defense and will be playing from behind a lot. I just had the #2 pick in rookie draft and was thrilled when McFadden went #1 so I didn't have to not get Stewart.

I'm sorry, but I don't see this as even a close race. Watch the two of them run, Stewart is better in just about every facet of the game. Look at their body of work in college, particularly the level of competition they faced. Again, Stewart in a landslide. And here's the capper...Carolina has gone a long way in rebuilding their offensive line, which is going to become a strength. Detroit's line is still the suxor. Carolina has a defense that should allow them to stay close in games and be a ball control offense. Detroit has no defense and will be playing from behind a lot. I just had the #2 pick in rookie draft and was thrilled when McFadden went #1 so I didn't have to not get Stewart.

ONe problem, Stewart is not the starter and Kevin is, so the answer is easy......

Smith will get like 25 carries a game. Stewart might only get 10. Im gonna go Smith atleast for 08.

Smith will get like 25 carries a game. Stewart might only get 10. Im gonna go Smith atleast for 08.

and that in itself says something about the quality of his competition and the overall quality of their offense. Maurice Jones-Drew isn't the starter on his team either, doesn't mean he's not the better prospect or player compared to somebody on his own team or another team for that matter.

and that in itself says something about the quality of his competition and the overall quality of their offense. Maurice Jones-Drew isn't the starter on his team either, doesn't mean he's not the better prospect or player compared to somebody on his own team or another team for that matter.

And look at how consistent MJD was last year. 9 games with under 50 yards rushing. Two with only 52 yards and only 2 over 100. They key to winning is fielding a consistent team week to week. With Stewart and Deangelo you will not get that this year. One week Deangelo will go off, the next Stewart. One week both will get 40 yards.

As for the future, Deangelo is making peanuts and is locked through 2010. Even in a keeper league I don't see Stewart being a top 10 back until atleast the 2010-2011 season. Alot can happen between now and then.

And look at how consistent MJD was last year. 9 games with under 50 yards rushing. Two with only 52 yards and only 2 over 100. They key to winning is fielding a consistent team week to week. With Stewart and Deangelo you will not get that this year. One week Deangelo will go off, the next Stewart. One week both will get 40 yards.

As for the future, Deangelo is making peanuts and is locked through 2010. Even in a keeper league I don't see Stewart being a top 10 back until atleast the 2010-2011 season. Alot can happen between now and then.

I don't think it's an entirely fair comparison, but this is akin to Peterson/Lynch last year (although I will qualify by saying that I believe Lynch's skill to be way above Kevin Smith). Lynch came in and was name the starter. Peterson came in and played spot time with Chester Taylor. How'd that arrangement work out? Which one would you have rather had and which one is going as the consensus #2 pick this year? Again, and that's using Lynch as the example. I consider Stewart second only to Peterson in terms of talent level out of all the backs that have come out in the last three years (yes, greater than Lynch, McFadden, Bush, Maroney, DeAngelo Williams, Maurice Jones-Drew, Joseph Addai etc.), so I think simply a matter of time before his ability relegates Williams to a lesser role and when that happens his upside is TREMENDOUSLY higher than Smiths.

However, since I'm sure I won't convince you, then how 'bout we discuss this again toward the end of the season, shall we? :cheers:

Stewart is a beast and should win ROY even if he does split carries. He is going to be a stud for the next ten years! Smith has upside, but the clear choice is Stewart.

I don't think it's an entirely fair comparison, but this is akin to Peterson/Lynch last year (although I will qualify by saying that I believe Lynch's skill to be way above Kevin Smith). Lynch came in and was name the starter. Peterson came in and played spot time with Chester Taylor. How'd that arrangement work out? Which one would you have rather had and which one is going as the consensus #2 pick this year? Again, and that's using Lynch as the example. I consider Stewart second only to Peterson in terms of talent level out of all the backs that have come out in the last three years (yes, greater than Lynch, McFadden, Bush, Maroney, DeAngelo Williams, Maurice Jones-Drew, Joseph Addai etc.), so I think simply a matter of time before his ability relegates Williams to a lesser role and when that happens his upside is TREMENDOUSLY higher than Smiths.

However, since I'm sure I won't convince you, then how 'bout we discuss this again toward the end of the season, shall we? :cheers:

Don't get me wrong, I love Stewart. I just think Smith will be more consistent this year, possibly next. I definitely agree that Stewart is very talented and will have a great NFL career.

Don't get me wrong, I love Stewart. I just think Smith will be more consistent this year, possibly next. I definitely agree that Stewart is very talented and will have a great NFL career.

I read posts saying Smith will be more consistent this year. That is somewhat misleading. Detroit is not a good team. They are not going to be able to run the ball 25-30 times a game because they have a poor defense. This much we know. I've had many a starters on my team (including det. RB's) that consistently gave me sub-par games. I'll take my chances on a superior athelete that has a strong chance to take the bulk of the carries. Go with Stewart folks.

Look at their body of work in college, particularly the level of competition they faced. Again, Stewart in a landslide.

Really? Is it just me or does Kevin Smith have one of the most impressive career statlines of any RB in college. Granted your point about the competition is well taken - but I think the disparity in stats over comes that. How is it Stewart "in a landslide"?!?!?!?

Just a little tidbit...I know it's just pre-season but Detroit's defense leads the NFL in fewest points allowed per game. Make me want to think were not going to see the blow out games of 2007 and Smith will get his 18-20 carries per game. :rolleyes:

PD

Bingo. From what I've seen in limited preseason action is Stewart, and it ain't even close.

Can you elaborate on this? I don't get Lions games or Panther games on the West coast. What exactly did you see in Kevin Smith's 23 touches during the preseason and Jonathan Stewart's 14 touches that made you so sure that Smith won't come close to Stewart's production?

I read posts saying Smith will be more consistent this year. That is somewhat misleading. Detroit is not a good team. They are not going to be able to run the ball 25-30 times a game because they have a poor defense. This much we know. I've had many a starters on my team (including det. RB's) that consistently gave me sub-par games. I'll take my chances on a superior athelete that has a strong chance to take the bulk of the carries. Go with Stewart folks.

Detroit will score a lot , lets face it they have a great offense so he will plenty of scoring opportunities.

I have Stewart and Smith and Chris Jhonson and Tim Hightower and i think that Stewart will become

a top 3 RB in the next 3 years but Smith might outscore him fantasy wise in 08.

Can you elaborate on this? I don't get Lions games or Panther games on the West coast. What exactly did you see in Kevin Smith's 23 touches during the preseason and Jonathan Stewart's 14 touches that made you so sure that Smith won't come close to Stewart's production?

Well, um, that would probably explain why I said "limited" in my previous post. Stewart has barely played, and really didn't practice much in training camp at all due to the surgery. So, it's natural for him to be a bit behind. However, I don't think any of us have even seen the real talent Stewart will display later on. Keep in mind the guy played on a toe that required surgery, half the season last year. He lost his stud QB due to injury and got BETTER and carried more of a load against top flight competition with that toe bothering him. Bottom line is my belief that he's a superior talent (the best talent to come out in the last few years aside from Peterson) on a better offensive team that has a better defense.