Sign in to follow this  
edjr

JETS fans. How much will a loss hurt this weekend?

You can be honest..

The JETS are favorites for the 1st time over the Patriots in a long time.. They are at home.

Cassell is getting his 1st start ever... how bad will a loss hurt?

I think the Jets take this one. :doh:

Giant fan in Foxboro

:cry:

Jets fans.

HTH

here's what's at stake in this game:

for the Jets: failing to beat NE this week will be the ultimate frustration. NE can't be any more vulnerable than they are this week and if you lose to them, all the optimism of Favre and a great young Oline is tempered. Mangini is labeled "student" and the pressure to beat Belichick becomes palpable.

for NE: failing to beat the NYJs this week hammers home the vulnerability of a Brady-less team. The optimism of the fan base waivers and the loss is symbolic of the paradigm shift in a Brady-less AFC East.

:wall:

Jets fans.

HTH

You want me to send you one of my limited edition commemorative Superbowl XLII coasters? :mad: :mad:

the jets should win this game and i will be very disappointed if they dont but i wont be surprised if they lose

Typical of a new yorker.

make sure to have all the bases covered. :wall:

You want me to send you one of my limited edition commemorative Superbowl XLII coasters? :banana: :shocking:

yes, please do.

i will return 3 used Patriots Super Bowl napkins

:shocking:

shoot me an email with your address if you want one. I just got a few left. For some reason, all the PATS fans at my house didn't want them...maybe it was the * next to the NE helmet?

FCFS

jdliam@hotmail.com

put "kutulu" in the subject line.

yes, please do.

I'll mail it tommorrow. :shocking:

I think it will be much more disappointing for the 16-0 team to lose to the 4-12 team.....

But that's just me :shocking:

yes, please do.

I had a friend was a big baseball player

back in high school

He could throw that speedball by you

Make you look like a fool boy

Saw him the other night at this roadside bar

I was walking in, he was walking out

We went back inside sat down had a few drinks

but all he kept talking about was

Glory days well they'll pass you by

Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye

Glory days, glory days

Well there's a girl that lives up the block

back in school she could turn all the boy's heads

Sometimes on a Friday I'll stop by

and have a few drinks after she put her kids to bed

Her and her husband Bobby well they split up

I guess it's two years gone by now

We just sit around talking about the old times,

she says when she feels like crying

she starts laughing thinking about

My old man worked 20 years on the line

and they let him go

Now everywhere he goes out looking for work

they just tell him that he's too old

I was 9 nine years old and he was working at the

Metuchen Ford plant assembly line

Now he just sits on a stool down at the Legion hall

but I can tell what's on his mind

Glory days yeah goin back

Glory days aw he ain't never had

Glory days, glory days

Now I think I'm going down to the well tonight

and I'm going to drink till I get my fill

And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it

but I probably will

Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture

a little of the glory of, well time slips away

and leaves you with nothing mister but

boring stories of glory days

I officially move to remove the song "Glory Days" as the official song for the Chicago Bears and assign it the New England Patriots and their fans :shocking:

I think it will be much more disappointing for the 16-0 team to lose to the 4-12 team.....

But that's just me :shocking:

Who is favored? :lol: :wave:

I officially move to remove the song "Glory Days" as the official song for the Chicago Bears and assign it the New England Patriots and their fans :wave:

coming from a Packer fan! PRICELESS! :shocking:

Hmmm... The Jets almost lost to Miami... Not sure I would favor them over NE as of yet. Cassel is weak at best, but expect a HUGE dose of the running game!

Hmmm... The Jets almost lost to Miami... Not sure I would favor them over NE as of yet. Cassel is weak at best, but expect a HUGE dose of the running game!

Think about it..

Brady is out, now is their chance.. if they lose, it will really hurt and let them know, even with Favre, they still aren't contenders.

[redtodd] The Jets and the Patriots fans arguing about which team is better is the same as arguing about which Denny's waitress is cuter.... [/redtodd]

Not much, as a Jets fan I was expecting Chad to ligh us up last week.

I was expecting a loss before Brady went down, now I'd give the Jets even odds at pulling off a win. Cassell will be effective enough to keep the game competative and the Pats run defense still looks pretty tough.

I can't wait to feel the emotions in the stands with Brett's first start and a new found hope with Brady going down.

I see a close game:

Jets 24, Pats 20

(but I surely wouldn't put any money on it)

Coming into the season I viewed this game as a measuring stick for the Jets this year. Could they give the Pats a tough fight, or even pull out a win at home and solidify themselves as a contender for the playoffs in the tough AFC. I obviously never envisioned them beating the Pats for the division with a healthy Brady.

Now, expectations have to change a bit, but not so much as to what the Jets can do, but as to how good the Patriots are without Brady. You don't go 16-0 solely on the back of one player. The Patriots are balanced and will still be very good, but clearly this opens the door if even just slightly for the Jets and Bills. The game against the Dolphins wasn't exactly a rousing start to the year. It's great to get a win, and they were able to stop the run well, but they didn't get enough pressure on Pennington and they failed to put the Dolphins away when they had early chances. Now they face a much better Patriot team, even if they are without Brady. I'll be disappointed if they lose to them, but how they play will really be the key. If they lose in a great game, where Cassel looks competent, then I'd just chalk it up to the Pats just still being better and move on. If they get blown out that would obviously put a damper on the talk of them now contending in the East, and tend to indicate that they likely haven't closed the gap enough on the other AFC teams to be serious players even in the WC this year despite all of the upgrades on the lines (Faneca, Jenkins) and additions of guys added to rush the passer (Pace, Gholston), plus that QB, I forget his name.

So in closing, it depends.

are you just sour that you have to jump off the bandwagon? its ok to admit :rolleyes:

hey you still enjoyed a good run after we all found out your team was cheating. I mean yeah it was the ultimate slap in the face to lose to a 6 seed in the superbowl but i mean you still didn't lose a game up until then. :thumbsup:

one good thing that will come of this for patriots fans- now on sundays you will be ok to get up in front of your wife or girlfriend to grab a beer or some more chips without fear she might see the boner your sporting from watching tom brady in those tight pants lined up behind a big guys ass. :thumbsdown:

to answer the question, the only thing that makes me nervous in this game is Favre at QB because we really don't know about his conditioning and hopefully he doesn't get tired playing 2 full games in a row.

The chiefs lost to the pats by 7. The chiefs..... so if Favre plays halfway decent there really shouldn't be any problem

1 game into the non-cheating era and brady gets hurt for the season? vs kc, no less..brady owes a lot to the world of cheating...

jets by a handful...

and yeah, im sure there are a lot of FA qbs trying to get into this lottery...if the pats call them, they will wet their pants...culpooper, you retired a week too early...

This is a hard one to figger. On the one hand, the Jets BARELY beat MIAMI. I mean, that's a cripple fight if ever there was one.

Cassel put up okay numbers and their rushing got over 100 yards, but wasn't exactly lighting things up.

I dunno who to root for. I'd like to see Favre fall on his keister for all the crap he put us through. Then again, I'd like to see the Pats curl up and die just on general principle alone.

Aw fock it - I'm giving it to the Pats. Any kid who can come in and put up decent numbers without taking a snap since the Clinton Administration is okay in my book. KC's D was top 13 last year, will likely be around 10th this year (with no help from their O), and the kid rallied, so I'm thinking Pats will take it.

- Wil be fun to watch though. The wily old veteran versus the young pup. God, I love the NFL.

:pointstosky:

It's gonna hurt a lot. Jets fans are delusional.

I disagree, just squeaking by the lowly, pathetic Dolphins is enough to bring you back to reality.

I disagree, just squeaking by the lowly, pathetic Dolphins is enough to bring you back to reality.

andalso:

just squeaking by the lowly, pathetic Chiefs is enough to bring you back to reality.

the BorderWar just got a whole lot more interesting.

If the Jets, a 4-12 team last year, lose to the defending AFC Champions and perennial Superbowl contenders - big focking deal :unsure:

However, if the Patriots lose to a team in rebuilding mode, just because Brady boy isn't there to save them - it's an embarassment.

If Matt Cassel doesn't lead the Pats to victory, it's going to make for quite a story, one made even better if he stinks up the joint :thumbsup:

for the Jets: failing to beat NE this week will be the ultimate frustration. NE can't be any more vulnerable than they are this week and if you lose to them, all the optimism of Favre and a great young Oline is tempered. Mangini is labeled "student" and the pressure to beat Belichick becomes palpable.

for NE: failing to beat the NYJs this week hammers home the vulnerability of a Brady-less team. The optimism of the fan base waivers and the loss is symbolic of the paradigm shift in a Brady-less AFC East.

This response sums it up pretty well.

for the Jets: failing to beat NE this week will be the ultimate frustration. NE can't be any more vulnerable than they are this week and if you lose to them, all the optimism of Favre and a great young Oline is tempered.

Ultimate frustration? lol, that's a colossal reach. Did Brady play on defense or special teams? Did he run block? Maybe Randy Moss was just an illusion...it was Tom Brady all along, magically passing the ball to himself. Pa-lease. The Patriots may not have Tom Brady, but the rest of that AFC Championship team is mostly intact. Meanwhile, the Jets were 4-12 last year and are not built to win now. They're in rebuilding mode. Getting Favre was a semi-practical, mostly PR move. You think if the Jets lose it tempers the optimism of Favre and the O-line? Last I checked they didn't play for the Jets defense, which is the only unit which theoretically gets a boost in this matchup facing a Brady-less Patriots team.

Ultimate frustration? lol, that's a colossal reach. Did Brady play on defense or special teams? Did he run block? Maybe Randy Moss was just an illusion...it was Tom Brady all along, magically passing the ball to himself. Pa-lease. The Patriots may not have Tom Brady, but the rest of that AFC Championship team is mostly intact. Meanwhile, the Jets were 4-12 last year and are not built to win now. They're in rebuilding mode. Getting Favre was a semi-practical, mostly PR move. You think if the Jets lose it tempers the optimism of Favre and the O-line? Last I checked they didn't play for the Jets defense, which is the only unit which theoretically gets a boost in this matchup facing a Brady-less Patriots team.

interesting since all of 2007, we had to keep hearing about how brady was the greatest to ever step on a field..now hes done for over a year and it isnt THAT big of a deal?

he made the pats better...made them believe they could win...and hes a great qb...are they going to have the same swagger or confidence down 7 late when they look and see cassell in the huddle hyperventilating?

favre adds to the jets what brady did to the pats..it wasnt PR..it was the quickest way to improve a football team...considering the shape that bradys knee is in, favre will probably be playing longer than brady ever will...

I can't deny that there is pressure on the Jets to beat the Pats without their star Qb. But if the Jets happen to lose it wouldn't be the end of the world. NE without Brady is still a great team.

Do they take a set back at Qb? Sure. But Cassel knows the system and should be able to play well. How he will actually do? We will have to wait and see. For those of you saying that you will have to rely on the running game...My opinion is to expect less numbers than you think. Jenkins in the middle is a much better upgrade than what we have had in the past. This Jets defense is also quicker than what we are used to having.

The Jets/Miami games are always/usually a tough but fun matchup to watch. The Jets probably would have put more points on the board if they didn't lose their kr. But Favre did throw a Td on 4th and 13. But losing the kr wasn't all that much fun to watch. We just signed J.Feely. Coming into this season, I was hoping to see the Jets come away with a 2-2 record for September. I thought if they could manage that, than they would be a potential playoff team. They have 1 of those 2 wins under their belt. I think the Jets offense will be able to move the ball alittle bit better against the Pat defense. I feel that the Pats offense will have just a little bit more trouble against the Jets defense. My guess is 24-16 Jets.

let me educate you on the Jets offseason moves. New York, much like boston is a win now sports city at least in this era. Hopes were high comming off that 10-6 season where the Jets surprised alot of people albeit with a weaker schedule. Last year was the exact oppoiste. They underachieved and the coaching staff as well as the front office was put under some scrutiny. They wen't out and spent a TON of money on some veteran help at areas of weakness. Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, Tony Richardson, Bubba Franks. They traded for and reworked the contract of Kris Jenkins and traded away Vilma in an attempt to get the right personel for the 3-4 defense.

Even before Favre this was a team being built to win now. Personally, I didn't agree as a fan. I felt they should have been building for the future but the reality is the moves were made to win now. Favre was the next step in this. You don't give a 3rd round pick for a QB who might play 2 years maximum if your rebuilding as a franchise.. Please. Any sports fan should realize that. Even forgetting the pick, you don't turn your team over to a 38 year old player if your trying to rebuild. The PR boost was simply icing on the cake.

As far as losing Brady not being a big deal? <_< I admire the chin up attitude but if fans are going to tout this guy basically as God then you have to admit its the biggest blow in sports in quite some time. Your right he did not play defense or catch those passes or block but look at it like this... hes the guy who got those passes out to Randy Moss to catch, hes the guy orchestrating that offense keeping pressure off the defense.. How hard is the job of a D when your offense led by Tom Brady is giving you 40 point leads?

let me educate you on the Jets offseason moves. New York, much like boston is a win now sports city at least in this era. Hopes were high comming off that 10-6 season where the Jets surprised alot of people albeit with a weaker schedule. Last year was the exact oppoiste. They underachieved and the coaching staff as well as the front office was put under some scrutiny. They wen't out and spent a TON of money on some veteran help at areas of weakness. Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, Tony Richardson, Bubba Franks. They traded for and reworked the contract of Kris Jenkins and traded away Vilma in an attempt to get the right personel for the 3-4 defense.

Even before Favre this was a team being built to win now. Personally, I didn't agree as a fan. I felt they should have been building for the future but the reality is the moves were made to win now. Favre was the next step in this. You don't give a 3rd round pick for a QB who might play 2 years maximum if your rebuilding as a franchise.. Please. Any sports fan should realize that. Even forgetting the pick, you don't turn your team over to a 38 year old player if your trying to rebuild. The PR boost was simply icing on the cake.

As far as losing Brady not being a big deal? :dunno: I admire the chin up attitude but if fans are going to tout this guy basically as God then you have to admit its the biggest blow in sports in quite some time. Your right he did not play defense or catch those passes or block but look at it like this... hes the guy who got those passes out to Randy Moss to catch, hes the guy orchestrating that offense keeping pressure off the defense.. How hard is the job of a D when your offense led by Tom Brady is giving you 40 point leads?

Remember what happened to Miami when Marino went down early in the season with a blown achilles?

They were 4 and 1 when he got hurt and they ended the season 9 and 7.

Who were their running backs?

Mark Higgs

Terry Kirby

Keith Byars

Scott Mitchell had never played before and he did alright for them. He parlayed that into a nice contract with the Lions..

Steve Deberg even started a few games.

What's this all mean?

I'm not counting the Patriots out yet. This week is huge, but still bad for the Jets if they lose.

First off, did the Jets suddenly become an AFC powerhouse just because they signed Favre? Why is this game a litmus test for New England? I would say a San Diego or Indy game might be more telling.

To me, the Pats should still win. If they lose to teh Jets, I think their fall is much more than anyone anticipated.

The real question is, will Edjr delete this thread if the Jets do win?

Remember what happened to Miami when Marino went down early in the season with a blown achilles?

They were 4 and 1 when he got hurt and they ended the season 9 and 7.

Who were their running backs?

Mark Higgs

Terry Kirby

Keith Byars

Scott Mitchell had never played before and he did alright for them. He parlayed that into a nice contract with the Lions..

Steve Deberg even started a few games.

What's this all mean?

I'm not counting the Patriots out yet. This week is huge, but still bad for the Jets if they lose.

i completely agree it would be a bad loss for the Jets. I don't think its a complete lock that they HAVE to win but surely their best bet is right now. Even if Cassel ends up being decent as the Pats starter, he is not settled in yet so the time is perfect for NY to grab a win.

i was just saying whoever posted that garbage about the jets not being built to win now was a moron. and saying the loss of Brady isn't that big a deal is an act no one believes.