Sign in to follow this  
Cuse9

Top Ten Busts Since 1990

Here is the list.............

10. QB Cade McNown (UCLA)

.....Drafted by: Bears, first round, No. 12 overall, 1999

Dude was living the high life and forgot about learning the pro game.

9. WR David Terrell (Michigan)

....Drafted by: Bears, first round, No. 8, 2001

He still thinks he's the best wr in the game. Massive talent, even bigger ego.

8. QB Alex Smith (Utah)

....Drafted by: 49ers, first round, No. 1 2005

Never amounted to anything. Now due to poor performance and injuries is prolly done in NFL.

7. RB Curtis Enis (Penn State)

....Drafted by: Bears, first round, No. 5 overall, 1998

Every year he got fatter and fatter. Currently he weighs 600 pounds....I would guess.

6. RB- Kijana Carter, (Penn St.)

.....Drafted by: Bengals, No, 1 overall, 1995

Not completely fair to put him on here due to injury. Had so much promise coming out of Penn St.

5. WR Charles Rogers (Michigan State)

....Drafted by: Lions, first round, No. 2 overall, 2003

Another wr who's ego out performed his ability.

4. 2. RB Lawrence Phillips (Nebraska)

....Drafted by: Rams, first round, No. 6 overall, 1996

There was a big character risk with Phillips, but his size, speed and ability were phenomenal!! Currently in prison.

3. WR Peter Warrick (Florida State)

....Drafted by: Bengals, first round, No. 4 overall, 2000

Warrick had Reggie Bush ability. Never even came close to being the game breaker he was thought to be.

2. QB Ryan Leaf (Washington State)

.....Drafted by: Chargers, first round, No. 2 overall, 1998

Most think he's number one, but I can't put him ahead of Akili!!

1. QB Akili Smith (Oregon)

....Drafted by: Bengals, first round, No. 3 overall, 1999

While Leaf was a massive bust, at least Leaf had a resume. Akili did nothing in college and didn't do squat in the NFL. He is proof the NFL scouting combine means absolutely nothing!

Honorable Mention:

Matt Leinart, will make this list eventually

Mike Williams, ate his way out of the league.

Kevin Dyson, drafted ahead of Randy Moss?! (edited: thx, rdstorm)

I'm sure there are plenty more!

**Edited title....from 1990 and only skill positions***

I'm sure there are plenty more!

No love for Todd What's a Big Mac?" Marinovich? First round draft choice from USC by the LA Raiders, eventually played in the CFL and AFL. Reportedly clean and sober now, but drugs did him in.

Calico was not drafted ahead of Moss ... you're thinking of Kevin Dyson, who had a decent few years with the Titans/Oilers but nothing near Moss. His career would only be considered a bust when compared with Moss being drafted behind him, but given Moss' off the field issues and attitude, you really can't fault a team for passing on him.

Calico was drafted in the 2nd round in 2003, long after Moss was drafted in 1998. He had a very promising career ended by a horse collar tackle by Roy Williams in the preseason of (I believe) 2005.

Calico was not drafted ahead of Moss ... you're thinking of Kevin Dyson, who had a decent few years with the Titans/Oilers but nothing near Moss. His career would only be considered a bust when compared with Moss being drafted behind him, but given Moss' off the field issues and attitude, you really can't fault a team for passing on him.

Calico was drafted in the 2nd round in 2003, long after Moss was drafted in 1998. He had a very promising career ended by a horse collar tackle by Roy Williams in the preseason of (I believe) 2005.

Good call!!! DOH!

A few that could push to make this list (IMO):

"The Boz" Brian Bosworth (not sure what year he went tho, believe it was before '90, so never mind)

Tim Couch

Heath Shuler

IMO - VY could make it on here someday too.

"The Boz" Brian Bosworth (not sure what year he went tho, believe it was before '90, so never mind)

Tim Couch

Heath Shuler

I was thinking of Heath Shuler myself, too. Didn't he go third overall and amounted to diddly? He put the "less" in useless. :doublethumbsup:

Also, Rashaun Woods. He was supposed to be Randy Moss before Moss even showed up. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Tim Couch

Heath Shuler

VY will never be on the all-time biggest busts. He had a great rookie season (19 total TD in 13 games started), won rookie of the year, went to the playoffs in year 2. He currently has an 18-11 career record as a starter.

Even if he never played again, he will never be on the all time draft bust list. This is reserved for players who never had an ounce of success in the NFL. If Vince doesn't play again for the Titans he will be considered a bust, but in no way is he a top 10 draft bust OF ALL TIME.

4. 2. RB Lawrence Phillips (Nebraska)

....Drafted by: Rams, first round, No. 6 overall, 1996

There was a big character risk with Phillips, but his size, speed and ability were phenomenal!! Currently in prison.

Jailbird

LMAO forgot about this story. Ran some kids down that beat him in flag football. Damn, just damn.

While VY may never make this list, I believe he should be biggest media hyped bust of all time. Tennessee's DEF hides his actual performance in regard to his record as a starter. 'Vince Young just wins games' was spoken on ESPN more than the Toyota Commercial 'Saved by Zero' is played during football games. His shoe size was bigger than his Wonderlic score and he's really shouldn't be playing QB in the NFL.

I might put Couch and Shuler on there instead of Carter and Terrell. I think KJ Carter and Terrell actually ended up playing for a while for their teams and maybe a couple others. When Couch and Shuler were discredited they basically just went away.

I just edited this, I think Manning went first, so maybe Leaf does not belong at the top of the list, but the very idea that it was down between him and manning just really makes the pick that much worse, even if SD never got to make it.

I think Leaf is #1 for the simple fact that the Colts were actually struggling to decide between he and Peyton Manning... Some experts say they didn't decide until the night before the draft. Could you imagine if the Colts took Leaf!!!

Since we are only going back to 1990, I will take it back on more year & say Tony Mandrich is my #2 bust of all time. Aikman was the first pick, Mandrich second then a little guy named Barry Sanders went third. Also taken in that draft were Deion Sanders, Eric Metcalf, Derrick Thomas & Andre Rison just to name a few.

The Bears have had so many busts of recent memory. Grossman, Terrell, Rashan Salam, Enis.

How about a guy like Blair Thomas of the Jets?? He was supposed to be the shiznit coming out of Penn State, the Jets took him in the first and he SUCKED!

Last but not least I have to go with MIKE VICK!!! Yeah I know he was a good player in the NFL, but when you think of what the Falcons gave up to get him. They traded there first & second round pick to move up. With those picks, SD took LT2 in the first & Drew Brees in the second.

Jailbird

LMAO forgot about this story. Ran some kids down that beat him in flag football. Damn, just damn.

Thanks for the laughs, what a waste. There's really a couple of different ways to go with this: busts compared to media hype and busts compared to the potential a player had based upon his talent.

I think as far as pure natural ability and talent I'd put Lawrence higher; the guy was crazy, crazy good. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYAjHA6HalM if you want to go back in time for a bit. The 80 yard TD starting at 1:37 is still one of my favorite runs of all time. Only a two-cutter and then gone, but shows what kind of vision+burst+speed this guy really had.

Remember the Rams giving up Bettis after they drafted this guy? How's that for an "oops"?

For media hype, I'd have to give Maurice Clarrett an honorable mention...

My favorite hit in all of football is Bo Jackson just flattening Brian Bosworth. I tried to find the youtube and failed.

I agree with you on Vince Young too. :thumbsup:

There was an ESPN program on the top NFL busts recently.

Cryin' Leaf was #1.

I agree.

:thumbsup:

Busts list are always a good discussion but I have some problems with the OP's list.

1) Why does it say top 10 busts in NFL history and then say from 1990 on. Shouldnt it just be top 10 busts since 1990.

2) I dont think David Terrell should be on the list thought Im a lil biased. I grew up with Terrell. Ok, that might be a bit of a stretch but we are from the same area. Our high schools are in the same district and play each other every year. I was 2 years ahead of him in school but I played him several times in football and basketball and we played pickup games at the same YMCA gym for about 4-5 years. The OP is right though, he is a hot head with a huge ego. Not so much when we were younger but as time went along. Anyways, I think there are plenty of other WRs who could go above him like Mike Williams, Travis Taylor, or any number of Florida WRs. Also, I think Desmond Howard deserves consideration. Yeah, he won a Super Bowl MVP as a KR but as a WR drafted number 5 overall, he was a complete bust.

3) Completely disagree with Akili Smith being number 1 on the list for the very reason the OP mentioned. He was a combine star and many people didnt think he should have gone that high to begin with. Guys like Leaf, Couch, Shuler, or even Ware and Klingler are all much bigger busts IMO b/c they all were hyped during their college careers as big time prospects.

4) This list is very limted as it only includes offensive skill position players. There have been countless busts on defense and at other positions.

There was an ESPN program on the top NFL busts recently.

Cryin' Leaf was #1.

I agree.

:music_guitarred:

Doesn't the story go something like this: When asked what he was going to do if he ended up going # 1 overall, Leaf answered "I'm going to Vegas or somewhere and I'm going to celebrate/party". When Peyton was asked he answered something along the lines of: "I'm going to hit the playbook, get to know my teammates and watch film".

...or something like that.

I'd like to add Eric Crouch as an Honorable mention. In 01, he won the Heisman, Davey O'Brien, and Walter Camp Awards as well as Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year. Dude insisted on playing QB in the NFL, and when no one would give him a chance at QB, he retired without ever recording an NFL stat. I'm not sure you can retire from something you never played..... but he did.

Blair Thomas, drafted #2 overall in 1990 by the NY Jets certainly belongs on this list. The Penn State RB is best known for his two colossal fumbles costing the Jets a pair of victories. A bust of titanic proportions.

Tony Mandarich

from Wikipedia:

Ante Josip "Tony" Mandarich (born September 23, 1966 in Oakville, Ontario) is a former football offensive lineman of the NFL. He was the first round draft pick of the Green Bay Packers in 1989, second overall behind Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman and ahead of the third selection, Hall of Fame running back Barry Sanders.

Playing at Michigan State University, Mandarich played in the 1988 Rose Bowl, was named as a first-team All-American, an Outland Award finalist and a two-time Big Ten Lineman of the Year. Upon his entry into the 1989 NFL Draft, both scouts and media (most notably Sports Illustrated, which did a cover story on him, famously naming him "The Incredible Bulk") began trumpeting Mandarich as the best offensive line prospect ever. He appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated twice. Mandarich was also a colorful character, illustrated by such instances as challenging then-Heavyweight Boxing Champion Mike Tyson to a fight, missing scheduled public appearances due to being drunk or hungover, his well-documented love of the band Guns N' Roses (he had a dog named Axl and also a tattoo of the cross-design from the cover of Appetite for Destruction on his arm), and referring to Green Bay as "a village".

Drafted as an offensive lineman, Mandarich never lived up to the very high expectations set for him, and spent most of his first year on the Packers on special teams after a lengthy holdout that only got settled the last week before the regular season. He was also known for having attitude issues, and after three seasons of lackluster performance on a four-year contract, Mandarich was cut by the Packers. Mandarich is often referred to as one of the top 5 bust NFL draft picks of all time, having been drafted second overall and ahead of such to-be NFL stars as Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, Deion Sanders, and Andre Rison.

Can the Giant fans get a little love for Dave Brown? Our QB of the future in the early 90's.. he won a few games, but cost a #1 pick after they used it to take him in the '92 supplemental draft. Played his college ball at Duke and was decent there.. Really one of the great George Young's worst decisions ever.

When Danny Kannell beats you out.. it's not good. :banana:

I'd like to add Eric Crouch as an Honorable mention. In 01, he won the Heisman, Davey O'Brien, and Walter Camp Awards as well as Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year. Dude insisted on playing QB in the NFL, and when no one would give him a chance at QB, he retired without ever recording an NFL stat. I'm not sure you can retire from something you never played..... but he did.

I have a hard time adding him to this list because any NFL expectations were merely wishful thinking.

typically, the bust label associates high draft pick/high expectation not coming to fruition. i also usually give a few seasons before the label. thinking of nfl teans, ones that come to mind with several candidates:

clev--tim couch, courtney brown, william green, gerrard warren,

san fran---alex smith, jim druckenmiller, rashaun woods, jj stokes, mike rumph, reggie mcgrew

ariz---andre wadsworth, jj arrington, wendell bryant

detroit---joey harrington, mike williams, charles rogers, stockar mcdougle, chris claiborne, terry fair, bryant westbrook

oakland---robert gallery, fabian washington, napolean harris, derrick gibson, rickey dudley, sebastian janikowski

chi---curtis enis, david terrell, cade mcnown, rashaan salaam

denver---marcus nash, ashley lelie, willie middlebrooks

cincy--peter warrick, reinard wilson, kijana carter, akili smith, david klingler, john copeland

the 2008 Dallas Cowboys

Peter Warrick? I know he never lived up to the hype, but when a WR has a pretty decent season like this, how can he be on this list?

Receptions 79

Yards 819

Avg 10.4

TD 7

2001 was another 70+ reception season.

Can the Giant fans get a little love for Dave Brown? Our QB of the future in the early 90's.. he won a few games, but cost a #1 pick after they used it to take him in the '92 supplemental draft. Played his college ball at Duke and was decent there.. Really one of the great George Young's worst decisions ever.

When Danny Kannell beats you out.. it's not good. :thumbsdown:

I used to call him "Fear Boy" because he always looked like he was totally afraid. Although, I believe he did have one of my favorite plays ever, where he ran the ball, and Deon "Best CB Ever" Sanders came up to make the tackle, and he just ran over him like he wasn't there. It was maybe a 5 yard run .... but it made "Primetime" look like "Past-his-time". I mean, when Dave Brown runs over you like a rag doll ..... not good.

Also .... his career isn't over yet, and he did have at least 1 good year, but .... no love for Ricky Williams?

Peter Warrick? I know he never lived up to the hype, but when a WR has a pretty decent season like this, how can he be on this list?

Receptions 79

Yards 819

Avg 10.4

TD 7

2001 was another 70+ reception season.

well, again, i think its relative to draft position/expectation. a player selected top7-10 is expected to make impact, and at the minimum/worst be a 5+yr starter and solidify his position. warrick was never really a wr1, and made most of his stats as a slot guy [you don't really draft top10 guys to play slot]. even jj stokes [a top3 i believe for san fran] had a 6-7TD yr with garcia/TO once, but i'd apply the same argument to him as well.

Busts list are always a good discussion but I have some problems with the OP's list.

1) Why does it say top 10 busts in NFL history and then say from 1990 on. Shouldnt it just be top 10 busts since 1990.

2) I dont think David Terrell should be on the list thought Im a lil biased. I grew up with Terrell. Ok, that might be a bit of a stretch but we are from the same area. Our high schools are in the same district and play each other every year. I was 2 years ahead of him in school but I played him several times in football and basketball and we played pickup games at the same YMCA gym for about 4-5 years. The OP is right though, he is a hot head with a huge ego. Not so much when we were younger but as time went along. Anyways, I think there are plenty of other WRs who could go above him like Mike Williams, Travis Taylor, or any number of Florida WRs. Also, I think Desmond Howard deserves consideration. Yeah, he won a Super Bowl MVP as a KR but as a WR drafted number 5 overall, he was a complete bust.

3) Completely disagree with Akili Smith being number 1 on the list for the very reason the OP mentioned. He was a combine star and many people didnt think he should have gone that high to begin with. Guys like Leaf, Couch, Shuler, or even Ware and Klingler are all much bigger busts IMO b/c they all were hyped during their college careers as big time prospects.

4) This list is very limted as it only includes offensive skill position players. There have been countless busts on defense and at other positions.

1. When I originally started this thread I was going to do history, then I figured I should limit it to 1990 so everyone had a fair shot to remember everyone.

2. David Terrell must be on the bust list. He was drafted high and never did anything....anything!! Maybe you lit him up once or twice growing up and it affected his mentallity as a pro? Whatever it is, he is complete bust.

3. Akili was terrible. Worst player I've ever seen get drafted so high. I left off Couch for the simple fact he was an expansion QB. Much like David Carr, they both got beat up too much to have a true shot at being a great player. If they would have had better protection I think they could have both been respectable.

Heath Shuler started out well, then hit the skids. I really don't know what happened. He felt like he got a raw deal and wanted another shot but nobody would give him one. Seems like we give everyone a second shot....since he didn't get one I left him off the list.

4. List is definitly limited. I figured I would keep it to offensive skill players so everyone knew everyone.

I did a pizz poor job tagging the thread, but I think everyone gets the idea of it.

Peter Warrick wa s "mini" Deion in college.......simply electric. While he did have a career it was never even close to what everyone thought was going to happen. It seems like when he got busted "buying clothes at a discount" his football career slowly started to dwindle away. I can't explain the relavence, but that's how it seems.

When Danny Kannell beats you out.. it's not good. :overhead:

the pride of my hometown/highschool

technically there isn't anything wrong with his title as he states NFL history from 1990 to present. 1990-present is still history. It reminds me alot of ESPN type shows where the main title will be Top ____ in NFL History with a subtitle "1990-present" because they most likely had other shows about previous time periods.

agreed Terrell, while god awful, does not deserve to be on this top 10 list.

akili should be on this list for sure but probably not number 1. I would say Couch from the same draft class was a bigger bust in a class FULL of them.

Offensive players tend to make more of these lists because position players like QB RB and WR get all the hype as being franchise saviors. You wont ever see many offensive tackles on lists like this even if they are selected 1st overall because the pressure isnt as much and the spotlight just doesn't shine as bright. The same can be said for defensive players. Not only are they selected on average after the highly touted offensive players but they also are not expected to deliver as much right away

YEAR TEAM G CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT

1999 CLE 15 223 399 55.9 2447 6.1 15 78 13 73.2

2000 CLE 7 137 215 63.7 1483 6.9 7 79 9 77.3

2001 CLE 16 272 454 59.9 3040 6.7 17 78 21 73.1

2002 CLE 14 273 443 61.6 2842 6.4 18 78 18 76.8

2003 CLE 10 120 203 59.1 1319 6.5 7 71 6 77.6

Career 62 1025 1714 59.8 11131 6.5 64 79 67 75.1

No way Couch is even close to being on the top 10 busts ever list. Check out his rookie numbers on an expansion team...actually very impressive all things considered. He definitely didn't live up to the expectations of a #1 pick but he played on horrible teams, behind horrible O-lines, with horrible skilled position players, and he got beat up badly along the way

1. When I originally started this thread I was going to do history, then I figured I should limit it to 1990 so everyone had a fair shot to remember everyone.

2. David Terrell must be on the bust list. He was drafted high and never did anything....anything!! Maybe you lit him up once or twice growing up and it affected his mentallity as a pro? Whatever it is, he is complete bust.

3. Akili was terrible. Worst player I've ever seen get drafted so high. I left off Couch for the simple fact he was an expansion QB. Much like David Carr, they both got beat up too much to have a true shot at being a great player. If they would have had better protection I think they could have both been respectable.

Heath Shuler started out well, then hit the skids. I really don't know what happened. He felt like he got a raw deal and wanted another shot but nobody would give him one. Seems like we give everyone a second shot....since he didn't get one I left him off the list.

4. List is definitly limited. I figured I would keep it to offensive skill players so everyone knew everyone.

I did a pizz poor job tagging the thread, but I think everyone gets the idea of it.

Peter Warrick wa s "mini" Deion in college.......simply electric. While he did have a career it was never even close to what everyone thought was going to happen. It seems like when he got busted "buying clothes at a discount" his football career slowly started to dwindle away. I can't explain the relavence, but that's how it seems.

Fair responses and I like the title edit.

I will say though that as a life long Redskin fan Heath Shuler was the SUCK from day one. In his first season he was CLEARLY outplayed by Frerotte, drafted in the 7th round in the same year. He NEVER showed that he looked like he belonged

The guy just never seemed to have any confidence in his ability. Which is very odd considering the career he had at a school like Tenn. And I still say my boy Terrell shouldnt be in the top 10. He has more recieving yards and TDs than Desmond Howard. Again, I know what Howard did as a returner but he was drafted #5 overall to be a star WR.

But its a good discussion either way.

:first:

I find it funny how almost a third of the list were drafted by the Bengals.

I agree with you here. The Bengals are well represented on this list.

Also .... his career isn't over yet, and he did have at least 1 good year, but .... no love for Ricky Williams?

Ricky Williams? He had at least 3 good years.