Sign in to follow this  
Wheaties

Brandon Marshall vs OAK

Anybody going to bench Brandon Marshall this week because of Nnamdi Asomugha?

Seems like every Monday people are saying "I should've benched INSERT WR NAME HERE because he was up against Nnamdi Asomugha."

Clearly, you can't expect to easily replace Brandon Marshall in your lineup. My only other options would be Justin Gage (vs NYJ) or Santonio Holmes (vs CIN).

So anybody else going to take the plunge?

I'd start Santonio. The Steelers passing game looked back on track this week, and Cincy is a good bet to allow at least a deep one to Holmes. That's probably more than you can count on Marshall for, as the Denver passing attack has sputtered a bit since earlier in the year.

Marshall has still been one of the most consistent FF receivers in the league this year. No, I will not be benching him.

NO WAY!!! Never bench your studs. I always comes back to haunt you.

That's what I thought before Steve Smith got me 2 points going against the Mighty Asomugha.

Wouldnt he have eventually got on Eddie Royal in game 1 of the season? Somehow he ended up with 9 for 146 and a TD against them.

asomugha himself has said marshall is among the toughest covers leaguewide due to his welcoming of the physical style of play. it will be tough for both marshall and cutler to stay patient and not force passes. i can see a 4-40 or 7-75 game based on coverage and other open options, but i think it highly unlikely for anything in the nuclear stat level [120-2]. this guy shutdown steve smith to 1-9 while they ran on the weak raiders rush defense. denver might want to inject run game confidence and do the same thing.

To the NBYS crowd, I can only presume you have never seen Nnamdi Asomugha play. He simply shuts down one side of the field.

If the Broncos ran an offense where the WRs always lined on up on the same sides (as the Colts did 2004-06 or the Panthers since forever), then I would agree with the OP.

Asomugha only plays right CB. He never changes sides. Marshall lines up at X or Y or Z.

Royal torched Me'Angelo pretty badly Week 1, but only one of his catches (for 6 yards) came against Nnamdi.

I think Brandon or Eddie owners can start 'em.

To the NBYS crowd, I can only presume you have never seen Nnamdi Asomugha play. He simply shuts down one side of the field.

If the Broncos ran an offense where the WRs always lined on up on the same sides (as the Colts did 2004-06 or the Panthers since forever), then I would agree with the OP.

Asomugha only plays right CB. He never changes sides. Marshall lines up at X or Y or Z.

Royal torched Me'Angelo pretty badly Week 1, but only one of his catches (for 6 yards) came against Nnamdi.

This thread doesn't affect me directly, but I read it out of curiosity.

I have to give you high props here. This type of analysis is why I love to come here and sift through all of the other cr@p. You have solid information here that is well supported. :thumbsdown:

:(

This guy hit it straight on the screws. In fact, his ball is still traveling. I would only add that Me'Angelo was not suited for the Raiders demanding bump and run, and personally as a fan I thought his performance this season wasn't half-bad after that first game.

I have both Marshall and Royal. I already decided to bench Marshall because of the matchup. Anyone think Royal can have some success on the other side of the field?

I have both Marshall and Royal. I already decided to bench Marshall because of the matchup. Anyone think Royal can have some success on the other side of the field?

I have both as well. Based on the informative comments from poster 16 and 33, it comes down to who will see the least coverage from Asomugha. I'm assuming we won't know that. It's nearly a coin flip for me with a slight advantage to Marshall. Royal gets targeted fewer times, but Royal is getting a lot of looks in the red zone. FYI, PPR league.

That's what I thought before Steve Smith got me 2 points going against the Mighty Asomugha.

The difference is that Carolina can actually run the ball... And while SS is shifty and fast, he is not big and physical like Marshall.

I have both as well. Based on the informative comments from poster 16 and 33, it comes down to who will see the least coverage from Asomugha. I'm assuming we won't know that. It's nearly a coin flip for me with a slight advantage to Marshall. Royal gets targeted fewer times, but Royal is getting a lot of looks in the red zone. FYI, PPR league.

We also get points for punt and kickoff TDs which is a plus for Royal. Unfortunately not the yardage.

Even though he's been less than stellar since the early part of the season, I just can't get myself to bench Marshall. In start 3 WR leagues like mine, I can't imagine anyone having a option better than Marshall, regardless of matchup...my alternatives (Cotch @ Tenn or VJax vs Indy) wouldn't make me feel any better....

My alternate would be Holmes or Bradley...

Marshall goes off! :overhead: :cheers:

My alternatives are RMoss or Royal. Jeez... ur right. Just can't bench Marshall. Can I? :bench:

What part don't you guys understand ?

This fine gentleman just explained how Asomugha lines up at RIGHT CB, and 15 moves all around, so he won't be matched up all game.

He had me at hello. :lol:

What part don't you guys understand ?

This fine gentleman just explained how Asomugha lines up at RIGHT CB, and 15 moves all around, so he won't be matched up all game.

He had me at hello. :lol:

Yes, but Marshall was shut out the first game against OAK. :banana:

Yes, but Marshall was shut out the first game against OAK. :lol:

QB JaMarcus Russell's first-quarter fumble gave the ball back to the Broncos and put an end to the Raiders' opening drive. Denver already had a 7-0 lead and never looked back from that point, putting up 27 points before Oakland even got on the scoreboard.

Game ball

Rookie WR Eddie Royal, getting the start because of Brandon Marshall's one-game suspension, was nearly unstoppable. He repeatedly burned former Pro Bowl cornerback DeAngelo Hall and wound up with nine catches for 146 yards and a touchdown. He also had two carries for 9 yards and added 18 punt return yards.

:banana:

QB JaMarcus Russell's first-quarter fumble gave the ball back to the Broncos and put an end to the Raiders' opening drive. Denver already had a 7-0 lead and never looked back from that point, putting up 27 points before Oakland even got on the scoreboard.

Game ball

Rookie WR Eddie Royal, getting the start because of Brandon Marshall's one-game suspension, was nearly unstoppable. He repeatedly burned former Pro Bowl cornerback DeAngelo Hall and wound up with nine catches for 146 yards and a touchdown. He also had two carries for 9 yards and added 18 punt return yards.

:wub:

failed to read the sarcasm

I have

Marshall, White, Moore, Bowe and Cotchery and can only start 2 (3 if Bush is out)

Cotchery is the only one I am definately not starting, this is a tough week for me, my normal starting lineup is in my sig but I may

Start Ward for Chris Johnson (if Jacobs out)

Start White and Bowe

I have to wait till monday night to see about Bush and then its either him or Moore in my flex

Yes, but Marshall was shut out the first game against OAK. ;)

So true. : :wub: But, even given how well Cutler was throwing to Royal that game I doubt Cutler had the arm to reach a guy sitting on his couch. : :(

I'm benching Marshall in one league I play in... but my other options are Boldin, Colston and Calvin. No not a 4 team league (10 team... drafted when Marshall suspension was 3 games), but yes they draft like 8 years olds.

I am leaving him in, if it burns me so be it, I don't overthink stuff like some owners -

starters (dynasty) - marshall, fitz, moore - bench - r. moss, l. evans, crayton, j. morgan

Game ball

:wub:

I was thinking this exact same thing as soon as I read the post.

:rolleyes:

I am leaving him in, if it burns me so be it, I don't overthink stuff like some owners -

starters (dynasty) - marshall, fitz, moore - bench - r. moss, l. evans, crayton, j. morgan

Just curious - why are you benching Randy Moss for Lance Moore?

I have both too and want to get Lance into my starting lineup especially for this Monday Night home game for the Saints but...

I went WR heavy in my draft and have...

Marshall vs. OAK

Calvin vs. TB

R. Moss @ MIA

As my usual starters. I was thrilled to snag Lance Moore off the ww and want to use him but not sure if I can justify benching any of my "stud" WRs for him.

I know R. Moss got shut down in the last game against MIA and I do think MIA CB Will Allen is solid and underrated but...that game was one of Cassel's first games after Tom Brady went down. It does look like Cassel has improved a lot since then even though he rarely looks to R. Moss which is driving me nuts.

Still, in my league, Calvin is a top 3 WR, Randy is a top 10 WR and Marshall is top 12 even with the suspension. Lance Moore is right up there too - about top 15 - but damn, this is tough one.

I was thinking that the Saints matchup against GB would favor Lance if Harris/Woodson would be covering Colston/Henederson and Lance got the NB in the slot to abuse but, now I'm reading here Woodson plays the slot when opponents go to 3 WR sets.

Can anyone confirm this?

I have already clinched a playoff spot, so it doesn't really matter. But I could...

Wayne

Ca Johnson

Marshall

Royal

V Jackson

PPR league. Royal over Marshall here might not be a bad play, but I'll probably just stick with the big 3 since my game has no real significance to me making the playoffs.

Lance moore is a must start until he proves otherwise.

Week 4: 7 catches, 101 yards, 2 TDs

Week 5: 5 catches 31 yards

Week 6: 7 catches, 97 yards

Week 7: 3 catches, 10 yards

Week 8: 6 catches, 90 yards, TD

Week 10: 6 catches, 76 yards, TD

Week 11: 8 catches, 102 yards, TD

That's only 2 bad games in his past 7 and even the 5/31 game wasn't horrible in a PPR league. I'm in a pretty heavy bonus league and he's the 13th best WR in that scoring system.

In my mind, 100% unbenchable until he has 2 poor games in a row. you certainly don't bench him when he's quite possibly the hottest WR in the league (Last 3 games: 20 catches, 268 yards, 3 TDs, are you serious?)

because moore has been totally outplaying him. I havnt played moss in quite awhile, cassel never even looks at him and when he does he makes a bad throw usually.

because moore has been totally outplaying him. I havnt played moss in quite awhile, cassel never even looks at him and when he does he makes a bad throw usually.

Yeah, I think I'm benching R. Moss for L. Moore this week too.

trust me i play against marshall this week in my main league....so im sure he goes off.....8-120 1 td.........book it