Sign in to follow this  
Savage Beast

Science vs God

But doesn't this work the other way too? Just because believers don't understand/are afraid of nonbelievers' perspectives, does that make them wrong?

How are believers afraid or not understand the stance of non believers? The entire school system is based off of the non believers stance. The only thing that true believers can be accused of, is trying to share God's love with others.

How could someone believe in something, but not believe that they are right? Makes no sense. Most Christians know the truth, because they have a personal relationship with God. They are not believing in religion or practicing religion, they are having a relationship with their savior and that is between them and God. Just because you don't understand it or are afraid to understand it, does not make it wrong.

You know, those fockers who flew planes into the twin towers were just as convinced as you that they knew the "truth".

You know, those fockers who flew planes into the twin towers were just as convinced as you that they knew the "truth".

Yeah except they believe in killing innocent people. Not the same... I hope you really don't believe that.

Because you have a relationship with God, why do you think he is my God too?

Nobody said that he has to be, but all that believers would say is that they believe he should be.

Two of the 10 Commandments

-You shall have no other gods before me

-You shall not make for yourself an idol

Nobody said that he has to be, but all that believers would say is that they believe he should be.

Thats why I think it is dumb. So many religions, so many people on earth, yet this and other religions claims to be the biggest and baddest. And only true religion/God.

Talk about controlling/ egotistical.

And thats what I mean about non-believer being less pushy and respecting opinion. You can do your thing, but to lump me into it is ridiculous.

How are believers afraid or not understand the stance of non believers? The entire school system is based off of the non believers stance. The only thing that true believers can be accused of, is trying to share God's love with others.

God is absent from public schools. In that regard, it's neutral and in keeping with separation of church and state. If the school system were based on nonbelievers stance, they'd promote nonbelief in God. This does not happen.

And go to a school and survey children's belief in God. I bet about 99% of kids believe in God.

It's not the school's fault, nor science's, nor the media's nor anyone else's who you want to point the finger at that God is dying in this country. It's your fault, and all the other religous zealots who shove this stuff down our throats with an air of superiority.

Until you realize that God is infinite, and a relationship with Him can take an equally infinite variety of forms, you're going to keep :shocking: because folks don't think like you. I find this ironic because in a sense, you're in a living hell because there's so much in life that you find disagreement with. I hope for your sake there is a heaven because you're sure as sh!t wasting your time down here anguishing over other people's path to peace.

How many people have been killed over religion over the course of history? All religions included.

1 of the many reasons I have no set religion.

There is no God, there is only a lack of Science.

(Sorry if someone already said this but I am not reading 8 pages of this crap. The made up story makes a ridiculous argument)

I don't truly believe that there is a "god" out there, I am 100% convinced that religion is a complete fabrication of men, there is just too much evidence to support this conclusion for me to BELIEVE otherwise.

That being said, I DO believe that there was this very cool guy who lived 2000 years ago named Jesus who did some pretty cool things, whether they were divine or not depends on your own individual beliefs, I see no harm is celebrating the existence of a cool guy by exchanging gifts and spending an entire day catching up with family... :shocking:

What is heaven and what is hell? What do you do in each place? Serious question. I know hell has this lake of fire that SB is obsessed about. Heaven is what? What will you be doing there for eternity?

Thats why I think it is dumb. So many religions, so many people on earth, yet this and other religions claims to be the biggest and baddest. And only true religion/God.

Talk about controlling/ egotistical.

And thats what I mean about non-believer being less pushy and respecting opinion. You can do your thing, but to lump me into it is ridiculous.

Well that is between you and God. I know in my heart that there is only one God and that it is the God that I worship, but I am not here to judge any of you because you don't believe. When the time comes you will have to answer for rejecting him, just as I will have to answer for things. I always thing that it is funny how people can think it is dumb, when our entire existence as a country was built on this faith. Great leaders like George Washington and Abraham Lincoln were know to people devout Christians. Our dollars say "In God we Trust", our pledge of allegiance "One nation under God"... guess what, they are only referring to one God and it's not Allah.

Also what gets me is, If I said my God isn't who your God is. You would say "you are wrong, the God I believe in is the only God"

I would just say no, we must have 2 different God, and I respect your God and your beliefs. It is so arrogant to think the other way.

Well that is between you and God. I know in my heart that there is only one God and that it is the God that I worship, but I am not here to judge any of you because you don't believe. When the time comes you will have to answer for rejecting him, just as I will have to answer for things. I always thing that it is funny how people can think it is dumb, when our entire existence as a country was built on this faith. Great leaders like George Washington and Abraham Lincoln were know to people devout Christians. Our dollars say "In God we Trust", our pledge of allegiance "One nation under God"... guess what, they are only referring to one God and it's not Allah.

Haha....

Just because this country was built onChristian beliefs doesn't mean it is right. You and all Christians don't know the truth anymore than I do. Just because it is in a book and is preached doesn't mean it is right. Nor wrong. Thats why we were born with a mind of our own, and to have our own opinions. Not to just follow something that everyone else has been following for years, just because it has been passed down from parent to child.

God is impossible to understand if you don't have faith. I have great faith in God. I don't know why. I know it's comforting to me. Specifically during times of trouble, which we all go through. I can't explain what God is about or what he is made up of nor can I prove he's real. I just know what I believe. I'm glad my parents raised me to have faith. I'm proud to have my son grow up with faith. I encouraged him to develop a relationship with God and I know for a fact that it has helped him with many of his struggles. It helps make me feel comfortable during funerals, etc. People come to a house of worship to say goodbye to lost loved ones and feel the comfort of God.

I respect all faiths. To be honest, I feel sorry for those who don't have faith. It must be a lonely life Perhaps I'm wrong but I know that believing and trusting in God makes my life more complete. I am smart enough to know that I don't know a single thing about proof or lack of proof. For me, it's in my soul to believe.

Also what gets me is, If I said my God isn't who your God is. You would say "you are wrong, the God I believe in is the only God"

I would just say no, we must have 2 different God, and I respect your God and your beliefs. It is so arrogant to think the other way.

So..... what's your point? Are you so sensitive that you can't stand someone saying your wrong? Sorry I can't respond to all of these questions right now. I should do some work today... I'll try to get back on later.

God is impossible to understand if you don't have faith. I have great faith in God. I don't know why. I know it's comforting to me. Specifically during times of trouble, which we all go through. I can't explain what God is about or what he is made up of nor can I prove he's real. I just know what I believe. I'm glad my parents raised me to have faith. I'm proud to have my son grow up with faith. I encouraged him to develop a relationship with God and I know for a fact that it has helped him with many of his struggles. It helps make me feel comfortable during funerals, etc. People come to a house of worship to say goodbye to lost loved ones and feel the comfort of God.

I respect all faiths. To be honest, I feel sorry for those who don't have faith. It must be a lonely life Perhaps I'm wrong but I know that believing and trusting in God makes my life more complete. I am smart enough to know that I don't know a single thing about proof or lack of proof. For me, it's in my soul to believe.

See I can respect this.

Yeah except they believe in killing innocent people. Not the same... I hope you really don't believe that.

You hope I "don't believe" what? I didn't say anything about what I believe.

The point is that they are at least as sure about their truth as you are. And at least one side is clearly wrong. Which opens up the distinct possibility that, despite how strong your personal convictions are, you're all wrong.

So..... what's your point? Are you so sensitive that you can't stand someone saying your wrong? Sorry I can't respond to all of these questions right now. I should do some work today... I'll try to get back on later.

No, you are the sensitive one about being wrong. I admit I may be wrong. I claim I do not know and find it impossible to get to the point where I will KNOW.

You are the one that is certain to be RIGHT.

Heaven is what? What will you be doing there for eternity?

For me personally, I'll be watching internet pron without having my cable modem freeze up. :bandana:

You hope I "don't believe" what? I didn't say anything about what I believe.

The point is that they are at least as sure about their truth as you are. And at least one side is clearly wrong. Which opens up the possibility that, despite how strong your personal convictions are, you're all wrong.

:bandana: Right on brother

It's ok to "believe" in something, so long as you aren't being a d!ck to someone else because they disagree.

For me personally, I'll be watching internet pron without having my cable modem freeze up. :bandana:

You are saying we get to decide?

On my way to church right now.....

when our entire existence as a country was built on this faith.

Most of the founding fathers were deists, not devout christians. It's amazing how many apologists still think we were founded as a christian nation.

Christianity and Islam are exactly the same. Both are the products of some con man grafting some B.S. onto the back of Judaism. Both have been guilty of heinous atrocities over the two millenia since their unfortunate conception.

The only real difference between the two as they exist today is that Christianity developed and interacted in the Western culture, which, despite the best efforts of Christianity, grew to be dependent on reason. The west learned, after many bloody wars, that God has no place in government.

Islam meanwhile, developed in a different cultural enviornment, and was far more successful at retarding progress than Christianity was. That is the only difference.

You need to read your history.

Many of the founders were devout Christians. Many were not. Many were diests. I suspect that some (Franklin for example) were agnostic, but could not be so publicly.

"One nation under God" was not added to the pledge until the 1950's. "In God We Trust" was not on our original money, but added later.

You Christians can claim all you want that America was some great Christian experiment, your little "City on a Hill" but it just isn't the case. Actually, America was the triumph of reason, the triumph of recognizing that, for the hapiness of all, God must be left out of government. And you people have been trying to distort and erode that ever since.

BTW, even if America was "built on Christianity" who really gives a fock. America was also built on the back of killing indians and enslaving black people, and we've grown enough as a society to renounce that as wrong, no?

Most of the founding fathers were deists, not devout christians. It's amazing how many apologists still think we were founded as a christian nation.

I'm sorry. :bandana:

I suspect that some (Franklin for example) were agnostic, but could not be so publicly.

Franklin was no agnostic...

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

- Ben Franklin

:bandana:

This is just my opinion, and is most likely the opinion of others here.

But religion is practiced so hard because it is a fall back tool. If there is a Heaven or Hell like Christianity says, then they will go to Heaven for believing and practicing the religion. If somehow they are wrong and they just sit in the ground not knowing a thing.

The fun part is if it is a totally different experience after death. Something that they didn't even consider before.

I always thing that it is funny how people can think it is dumb, when our entire existence as a country was built on this faith. Great leaders like George Washington and Abraham Lincoln were know to people devout Christians. Our dollars say "In God we Trust", our pledge of allegiance "One nation under God"... guess what, they are only referring to one God and it's not Allah.

This is what Christians always fock up. Actually, our country was built in part by people who wanted to ESCAPE government-forced religion. In England, you had to convert to the Church of England (where the King is effectively the Pope) in order to hold office or do other things. - And that religion worshipped YOUR God.

The truth is, the men that came here fought vehemently AGAINST the religion that worships your god.

And the bigger truth is, our country was built based on one overwhelming reason: Money. The folks who arranged these settlements did so largely out of profit motive. And countries encouraged prisoners to avoid jail time by emmigrating to America. So really, our country is built on greed and criminality far more than up on "christian values". - Unless of course, as evidenced repeatedly by several noted "Christians", you believe that greed and criminality is the basis of Christianity. - A fair point.

And, by the way, it's Judeo-Christian values you anti-semitical biotch. :bandana:

Our pledge of allegiance didn't originally say "under God", in fact that's a relatively new addition. And, my dollars also have an Eagle on them. MUCH bigger than the "God" language. Should we worship Eagles too?

This is what Christians always fock up. Actually, our country was built by people who wanted to ESCAPE government-forced religion. In England, you had to convert to the Church of England (where the King is effectively the Pope) in order to hold office or do other things. - And that religion worshipped YOUR God.

The truth is, the men that came here fought vehemently AGAINST the religion that worships your god.

And, by the way, it's Judeo-Christian values you anti-semitical biotch. :dunno:

Our pledge of allegiance didn't originally say "under God", in fact that's a relatively new addition. And, my dollars also have an Eagle on them. MUCH bigger than the "God" language. Should we worship Eagles too?

Oh, and also, if you are basing your religious beliefs on the back of the U.S. currency, you are probably going to want to join the masons, and bone up on your Egyptian mythology, what with the whole pyramid with an eye thing.

What about god sending his son to multiple planets is inconsistent with christianity? :thumbsup:

see this is the problem though. i believe most of the very religious people will be quick to point out that the bible talks about jesus as "his only begotten son". so it seems the book is ruling out this possibility, which i really didn't believe anyway. just trying to give perspective on how it is written with the idea that this is the only place with life.

see this is the problem though. i believe most of the very religious people will be quick to point out that the bible talks about jesus as "his only begotten son". so it seems the book is ruling out this possibility, which i really didn't believe anyway. just trying to give perspective on how it is written with the idea that this is the only place with life.

They may have that opinion, but I don't see why God couldn't send "his only begotten son" to a bazillion different planets. Also, you need to account for the timeframe -- wasn't a whole lot of astronomical scientific knowledge at the time. Had the bible said "only begotten son... on this planet, anyway", that might have been lost on the audience. :thumbsup:

They may have that opinion, but I don't see why God couldn't send "his only begotten son" to a bazillion different planets. Also, you need to account for the timeframe -- wasn't a whole lot of astronomical scientific knowledge at the time. Had the bible said "only begotten son... on this planet, anyway", that might have been lost on the audience. :thumbsup:

So Jesus and Santa Claus share similar super powers. Santa gets all those girfts to all the children across the world over night. Jesus visits and shares the word with life on 1,000,000,000,000 planets in his lifetime.

Whos Robin and whos Batman? I'd say Santa is Batman.

So now we're combining Jesus and aliens?

Jeebus focking christ! :unsure:

So your theory is that God sent Jesus to a "bazillion" planets, to live, and be gruesomely killed, on each one?

Man, God is the sh!ttiest parent ever!

So now we're combining Jesus and aliens?

Jeebus focking christ! :unsure:

So your theory is that God sent Jesus to a "bazillion" planets, to live, and be gruesomely killed, on each one?

Man, God is the sh!ttiest parent ever!

But God is Jesus. :thumbsup:

That guy is a badass.

They may have that opinion, but I don't see why God couldn't send "his only begotten son" to a bazillion different planets. Also, you need to account for the timeframe -- wasn't a whole lot of astronomical scientific knowledge at the time. Had the bible said "only begotten son... on this planet, anyway", that might have been lost on the audience. <_<

jesus being sent to every planet with life and the whole dying for sins act everywhere else. seriously think about how ridiculous that sounds.

jesus being sent to every planet with life and the whole dying for sins act everywhere else. seriously think about how ridiculous that sounds.

Its a little late for them to worry about sounding ridiculous at this point isn't it? Might as well swing for the fences.

To you and the other recent posters: I merely said that the idea of life on other planets is not inconsistent with christianity. God, being god and all, could indeed send his son to a bazillion different planets. Also I've said multiple times that I personally am agnostic in general. I'm trying very hard to not call you guys mouthbreathers.

To you specifically Josh, in the interest of discussion, and in the context of an omnipotent god, why does that sound ridiculous?