Sign in to follow this  
Savage Beast

Science vs God

I just wanted to take this occasion to say, Merry Christmas to all the Geek Club atheists! Have fun celebrating the birth of a God you claim doesn't exist. :mad:

It's not the birth of God, it's the birth of Jesus, the SON of God.

I might be an atheist, but I hate it when people equate God and Jesus as the same person.

I do plenty of things to keep my wife happy but nothing close to going to church when I didn't believe in God. :mad:

Also, despite popular opinion, just because a Christian doesn't always "act like it", it doesn't make them a hypocrite. We're all flawed and works in progress. It's always comical when non-believers call out Christians for their short comings. Just because we strive for better, doesn't mean we're hypocrites for not getting there.

No, the fact that no Christains reach their ideals does not make them hypocrites. Nobody reaches thier ideals, or if they do, their ideals are set too low.

What makes many christians hypocrites is how they pick and choose certain sins (homosexuality for example) to constantly rail against and make hay with. You'll notice you never see Christian groups opposing the lottery. Or trying to reinstate prohibition. Why? Because they, like the rest of us, gamble and drink. It is real easy to tar and feather a sin that holds no attraction to you.

I have nothing against Christians. In fact, most of them are wonderful people. My problem is with the small minority of them that are collassal dooshbags and are constantly trying to shove their creed down everyones throats through the law. I don't give a fock what stupid sh!t people believe. Just leave me the fock out of it.

Truthfully, I would think these "Family Values" asshats like Dobson, Falwell, Robertson, et al would piss you Christians off, as they give you a bad name, and warp what, supposedly, is the central tenent of your lives. But no, its just us "wacky bitter aitheists" that ever seem to get irritated with them.

I might be an atheist, but I hate it when people equate God and Jesus as the same person.

We've also established that it isn't the birth of Jesus but a pagan celebration. Try to keep up.

We're all focking dumb and distracted.

This thread began as an attempt to show how science doesn't have all the answers. It took a brief detour into consciousness and the soul before finding it's feet again with the existence of God. Now on page three, we've devolved into a pissing contest about who spends their Holidays the right way.

Y'all can either spread Christmas cheer:

http://blog.silinx.com/uploaded_images/ali...oy_5-798927.jpg

Or be a focking scrooge:

http://www.emediawire.com/prfiles/2006/09/21/441050/PR3.jpg

both are SFW

I guess you missed the word "professing". When you see me get up in front of the congregation and say "Boy howdy do I believe in GOD!" then you'll have a point. HTH.

Wow. That is your answer? You professed earlier to not believing in God but attend his house of worship. That doesn't meet your definition of hypocrisy a few posts ago? :mad:

crassic

The general response to that is that you are talking about mutations not evolution.

Mutations are the raw materials of evolution.

It's a tip, Jesus is God.

My wife knows I don't really share her beliefs, but I do respect them, and it's important to her that we go as a family, so I go. But that's just me, one of those narrow-minded agnostics who regularly attends church.

Professing to believe something and then acting contrary to that belief is pretty much the definition of hypocrisy. So yeah, not always acting like it does make you a hypocrite. Don't blame me, I didn't invite the word or bring it up.

For the record I think most of us, myself included are hypocrites to some degree or another.

I still don't think you get it. I agree, that if you live a certain lifestyle of sin, then you probably could be called a hypocrite but that's not the same as catching Christian sinning and having an "AH HA" moment. ALL CHRISTIANS SIN. It's constant fight with human nature that we battle everyday and lose a lot.

This is funny. They need guidance, yes guidance to grow up and believe what a parent wants them to believe. Face the facts and get real, and realize that by parents making their children go to church they are making/greatly influencing them to believe what they want them to believe. That is no choice. If a kid had went to church all teh way until he was 18, how hard is it going to be for him to just change when he is an adult?

Its brain-washing. Too make a kid go to church isn't giving them free will at all since they don't know what they want to believe in at that age. And to only put one way of thinking in front of them and that one way alone, you are not giving them the choice.

There are plenty of kids that grow up in a church their whole lives and turn their back on God and the church as adults. Just as there are many adults that have not grown up in a church that come to find God. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Marilyn Manson's father a preacher? I think it is safe to say that he does not symbolize God or what the church stands for.

Mutations are the raw materials of evolution.

I know that - and have witnessed such mutations in labs myself - but I'm just telling you what you can expect to hear.

The general response to that is that you are talking about mutations not evolution.

Are the two mutually exclusive?

no

No, the fact that no Christains reach their ideals does not make them hypocrites. Nobody reaches thier ideals, or if they do, their ideals are set too low.

What makes many christians hypocrites is how they pick and choose certain sins (homosexuality for example) to constantly rail against and make hay with. You'll notice you never see Christian groups opposing the lottery. Or trying to reinstate prohibition. Why? Because they, like the rest of us, gamble and drink. It is real easy to tar and feather a sin that holds no attraction to you.

I have nothing against Christians. In fact, most of them are wonderful people. My problem is with the small minority of them that are collassal dooshbags and are constantly trying to shove their creed down everyones throats through the law. I don't give a fock what stupid sh!t people believe. Just leave me the fock out of it.

Truthfully, I would think these "Family Values" asshats like Dobson, Falwell, Robertson, et al would piss you Christians off, as they give you a bad name, and warp what, supposedly, is the central tenent of your lives. But no, its just us "wacky bitter aitheists" that ever seem to get irritated with them.

You going to take your little lady to the pictures tonight in your Model T? :mad:

If Jesus wasn't God, why would we celebrate his birth?

There are plenty of kids that grow up in a church their whole lives and turn their back on God and the church as adults. Just as there are many adults that have not grown up in a church that come to find God. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Marilyn Manson's father a preacher? I think it is safe to say that he does not symbolize God or what the church stands for.

I know there are exceptions, but I would go out on a limb and say that the majority of kids who are forced to go to a certain church, end up staying with that religion.

Either way why make the kid go if it is truely his/her choice when they are adults, if they are not old enough to really think for themselves, don't force one way of thinking upon them. It's really not fair.

We've also established that it isn't the birth of Jesus but a pagan celebration. Try to keep up.

I all ready knew that, I wasn't addressing that...just the statement that foreskin made.

I am plenty aware of Pagan celebrations, thanks.

Its brain-washing. Too make a kid go to church isn't giving them free will at all since they don't know what they want to believe in at that age.

Isn't telling a kid that there is no god brainwashing as well?

Also, do you often have metaphysical conversations with your 6 yr old?

This is funny. They need guidance, yes guidance to grow up and believe what a parent wants them to believe. Face the facts and get real, and realize that by parents making their children go to church they are making/greatly influencing them to believe what they want them to believe. That is no choice. If a kid had went to church all teh way until he was 18, how hard is it going to be for him to just change when he is an adult?

Its brain-washing. Too make a kid go to church isn't giving them free will at all since they don't know what they want to believe in at that age. And to only put one way of thinking in front of them and that one way alone, you are not giving them the choice.

So, Parrot the agnostic couldn't decide for himself once he grew older? My brother was brought to church every sunday when he was younger and made the decision when he was 18 to not believe anymore. You're point is absurd. As parents, we encourage or force our children to do things that we think will make them well rounded adults. We force them to look both ways, do their homework, use manners, etc. If that is brainwashing, then call me Jim Jones.

Wow. That is your answer? You professed earlier to not believing in God but attend his house of worship. That doesn't meet your definition of hypocrisy a few posts ago? :bench:

crassic

No it doesn't, not any more than going to a game at Invesco despite not being a Broncos fan made me a hypocrite. I don't equate walking into a building with professing a belief. HTH.

You would think that Christians would see non-believers attending church and at least giving religion a chance as a good thing, rather than judging them as hypocrites for it. :mad:

I'm pretty sure he's only a couple years out of diapers himself.

I didn't say tell them there is no God did I? I just said don't force one way of thinking (any way, no God, Christian, Muslim) on them. Just let them choose when they are old enough to address the issue themselves.

I'd rather be godless than dickless

Well, good thing you don't have a choice.

You're both

I know there are exceptions, but I would go out on a limb and say that the majority of kids who are forced to go to a certain church, end up staying with that religion.

Either way why make the kid go if it is truely his/her choice when they are adults, if they are not old enough to really think for themselves, don't force one way of thinking upon them. It's really not fair.

But if the parents believe in God and that Jesus is their savior, why wouldn't they share that joy with their children? It's the same as making their kids go to school and do their homework or do their chores. Kids are kids and it is the responsibility of the parents to teach their kids how to be responsible adults. They are not teaching their kids to murder or steal, so what does it matter if they take them to church with them?

If Jesus wasn't God, why would we celebrate his birth?

You'd think since Mary supposedly knew her kid was the son of god, that she, or hell, one of the freakin wisemen, would have thought to write the freaking birthdate down or something.

And since the disciples at his death believed him to be the son of god, and supposedly witnessed all kinds of miracles and whatnot, would have written down his birthday, or the date of his death.

But no, instead, we just cobbled his occasions on to pre-existing pagan holidays.

It like giving your wife a present, and saying "Happy Birthday!" When she says "Today isn't my birthday" you say "Yeah, I can't remember yours, but today is some ex-girlfriends birthday."

Actually, you'd think that things like raising the dead, walking on water, and all that would have created a buzz, and been noted in some sort of historical record of the Roman Empire. I would have to conclude that either such things were comonplace, or they never happened. You call it.

The shiit has evolved in a matter of months, Yet, there's no such thing as evolution over millions of years. Gotcha. :rolleyes:

and you wonder why we think you're stupid. You routinely acknowledge evolution with your actions while simultaneously deny it exists.

And why do you believe that Earth has been around for millions of years? Because of something a few scientists told you and you blindly believe them.

That's just embarrassing.

No it doesn't, not any more than going to a game at Invesco despite not being a Broncos fan made me a hypocrite. I don't equate walking into a building with professing a belief. HTH.

You would think that Christians would see non-believers attending church and at least giving religion a chance as a good thing, rather than judging them as hypocrites for it. :rolleyes:

One of my favorite Simpsons lines was when Maude went away to Christian camp Ned said she went away to learn how to become more judgmental. It works both ways. I don't judge, who really knows who is right. I surely don't.

You would think that Christians would see non-believers attending church and at least giving religion a chance as a good thing, rather than judging them as hypocrites for it. :rolleyes:

Oh, c'mon now. You really wanna go there? Maybe you get lumped in with crowd here that acts like believers are idiots(rightly or wrongly) but you don't honestly believe this is the normal reaction you'd get by Christians that you attend church. YOU made a comment about going to church despite not seeing a shred of evidence that God exists. That ain't the same thing as saying you were going to give it a shot.

Well, good thing you don't have a choice.

You're both

I knew that was coming but I expected this response from one of the unfunny people. Ask and ye shall receive.

So, Parrot the agnostic couldn't decide for himself once he grew older? My brother was brought to church every sunday when he was younger and made the decision when he was 18 to not believe anymore. You're point is absurd. As parents, we encourage or force our children to do things that we think will make them well rounded adults. We force them to look both ways, do their homework, use manners, etc. If that is brainwashing, then call me Jim Jones.

I said there are exceptions.

To campare religion to homework, looking both ways, and manners...means nothing.

Face it, when a parent makes a kid go to church, they are wanting their children to be (Christian, Muslim,...ect...)

When they teach them manners they want them to grow up to be able to deal with people and the real world.

You're not there to give religion a chance Parrot. You don't believe in God. What chance is there? You said that you go to keep your wife happy. You and I both know that a person who comes on here and says that they don't believe in God and then admits to attending church is a hypocrite. Take a geek poll if you don't think that's the case.

I knew that was coming but I expected this response from one of the unfunny people. Ask and ye shall receive.

Yeah...but I remembered to say "you're" rather than "your", so I got that going for me.

Which is nice.

But if the parents believe in God and that Jesus is their savior, why wouldn't they share that joy with their children? It's the same as making their kids go to school and do their homework or do their chores. Kids are kids and it is the responsibility of the parents to teach their kids how to be responsible adults. They are not teaching their kids to murder or steal, so what does it matter if they take them to church with them?

It doesn't set them up for free will or to become their own person.

Homework, manners, being clean are teaching them things to be able to get through life. If I have to argue the difference between the two, I won't, because it is just a waste of time.

Homework, manners, being clean are teaching them things to be able to get through life. If I have to argue the difference between the two, I won't, because it is just a waste of time.

The point is that they are going to become their own person regardless. If you don't take your kid to church or if you do take your kid to church doesn't matter. Either way your are influencing your children. This is a very silly point that you are making, I am hoping that you see that.

Oh, c'mon now. You really wanna go there? Maybe you get lumped in with crowd here that acts like believers are idiots(rightly or wrongly) but you don't honestly believe this is the normal reaction you'd get by Christians that you attend church.
No I don't really believe that, I married one of those idiots.

YOU made a comment about going to church despite not seeing a shred of evidence that God exists. That ain't the same thing as saying you were going to give it a shot.

I didn't say that I was going to give it a shot, but by going I am giving it a shot, am I not? What better place to stumble upon evidence of God than in a Church? It's not like I go and read Maxim and listen to my IPOD the whole time.

Where do you get that taking your children to church is brainwash? Is it in the constitution about separation of church and children? Should we also not tell our kids on political leanings as well. Wouldn't want to influence them.

Don't worry all of us who don't go to church can save ourself a year before we die. Just like many old people I know, theya re getting old so they decide to become religous and go to church each week. They just like us can get into the heaven club after 80 years of non-believing.

:rolleyes:

No I don't really believe that, I married one of those idiots.

I didn't say that I was going to give it a shot, but by going I am giving it a shot, am I not? What better place to stumble upon evidence of God than in a Church? It's not like I go and read Maxim and listen to my IPOD the whole time.

You were basically bragging about being forced to go despite not believing in God. Sorry, if I assumed that was meant to be more than just proving what joke it all is to you.

The point is that they are going to become their own person regardless. If you don't take your kid to church or if you do take your kid to church doesn't matter. Either way your are influencing your children. This is a very silly point that you are making, I am hoping that you see that.

No not silly at all.

If they are going to become their own person anyway, why feel the need to MAKE them go? Simply say, "I am going to church, would you like to go with me?" You give them a choice. So either way it is not influencing them.